Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rank the positions (strongest to weakest)

Started by DaddyBoarBucks, June 27, 2013, 10:33:41 am

Previous topic - Next topic

DaddyBoarBucks

Would like to get opinions on where our positions stack up against each other taking into account the incoming freshman as well.

1. DE
2. DT
3.  ST (P/K/PK)
4. OL
5.  QB
6. RB/FB
7. TE
8. CB
9.  WR
10. Safeties
11.  LB

Probably should have rated safeties higher perhaps with what we have returning, but felt we are pretty thin in that area on the depth chart.

H0GGYSTYLE

1. DT
2. DE
3. ST (P/K/PK)
4. RB/FB
5. OL
6. CB
7. Safeties
8. WR
9. TE
10. QB
11. LB

Inhogswetrust

June 27, 2013, 10:46:23 am #2 Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 10:56:25 am by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: DaddyBoarBucks on June 27, 2013, 10:33:41 am
Would like to get opinions on where our positions stack up against each other taking into account the incoming freshman as well.

1. DE
2. DT
3.  ST (P/K/PK)
4. OL
5.  QB
6. RB/FB
7. TE
8. CB
9.  WR
10. Safeties
11.  LB

Probably should have rated safeties higher perhaps with what we have returning, but felt we are pretty thin in that area on the depth chart.

Three of the bottom four behind the LOS on defense. If those are true at the end of the season then I would expect a lot of our opponents to have big passing yardage against us unless we can pressure the QB relentlessly.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

RazorPiggie

1. DE
2. DT
3.  ST (P/K/PK)
4. OL
5. RB/FB
6. WR
7. QB
8. CB
9.  TE
10. Safeties
11.  LB

trashcan maN

June 27, 2013, 10:53:22 am #4 Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 11:28:39 am by kj0N
1.DE(Both DE, Flowers and Smith, have All-SEC potential if they stay healthy.)

2.DT(Could just as easily put these big boys at #1. I'm very confident with Jones/Thomas plugging the middle)

3.OL(our oline has some studs, and with our coaching staff, they will surprise)

4.RB/FB(I expect Small, Williams, Collins, Walker etc to be hurting people this yr)

5.CB(Nice young talent. Hope to see Tevin on an island with opp team's best WR)

6.Safeties(Should benefit from better fundamentals from CB. Good Exp here for starters)

7.ST(Hocker has been great with sporatic Tejada-like flashes. He'll get it together. I've heard chatterings that Hocker may be punting as well? Who's returning kicks? Nate Holmes?)

8.TE(Bigger, stronger, faster, I just don't know alot about the depth behind HH&Tate. Is Dean expected to line up w Tate in 2TE sets? I can't imagine HH sitting the bench.)

9.WR(I loved B.Mitch here, and I still love McKay. Herndon is servicable. We shall see..)

10.LB(We don't have top tier talent here, but I'm crossing fingers that they play with intensity and show good fundamentals..No arm tackles. They have to play within themselves and not overextend.)

11.QB(I know he'll be worlds better than last year, but his performance against ULM left a bad taste in my mouth. Little to no game experience behind him.)

DaddyBoarBucks

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on June 27, 2013, 10:46:23 am
Three of the bottom four behind the LOS on defense. If those are true at the end of the season then I would expect a lot of our opponents to have big passing yardage against us unless we can pressure the QB relentlessly.

True, but honestly can it get much worse than last years secondary? I don't think so but who knows. It seems like the overall gap between the positions 1-11 might be closer than last years team, but that could be the result of losing players on offense as well.

DaddyBoarBucks

Quote from: kj0N on June 27, 2013, 10:53:22 am

2.DT(Could just as easily put these big boys at #1. I'm very confident with Jones/Thomas plugging the middle)

4.RB/FB(I expect Small, Williams, Collins, Walker etc to be hurting people this yr)

6.Safeties(Should benefit from better fundamentals from CB. Good Exp here for starters)

7.ST(Hocker has been great with sporatic Tejada-like flashes. He'll get it together)

8.TE(Bigger, stronger, faster, I just don't know alot about the depth behind HH&Tate)

9.WR(I loved B.Mitch here, and I still love McKay. Herndon is servicable. We shall see..)

10.LB(We don't have top tier talent here, but I'm crossing fingers that they play with intensity and show good fundamentals..No arm tackles. They have to play within themselves and not overextend.)

11.QB(I know he'll be worlds better than last year, but his performance against ULM left a bad taste in my mouth. Little to no game experience behind him.)

Good assessment, but I think Allen will be better suited in this offense than that of the petrino knockoff from last year. I see him fitting a more of mccaron esque style of role, rather than a pure drop back/shotgun style qb.

trashcan maN

Quote from: DaddyBoarBucks on June 27, 2013, 11:12:44 am
Good assessment, but I think Allen will be better suited in this offense than that of the petrino knockoff from last year. I see him fitting a more of mccaron esque style of role, rather than a pure drop back/shotgun style qb.

Ya I probably shouldn't have put the QBs so low, but with the lack of exp all the way down along with poor showings last year(I don't fault BA for those), I couldn't find a unit I could rank the QBs above..I hope he comes out and proves me wrong!

DaddyBoarBucks

Quote from: kj0N on June 27, 2013, 11:26:37 am
Ya I probably shouldn't have put the QBs so low, but with the lack of exp all the way down along with poor showings last year(I don't fault BA for those), I couldn't find a unit I could rank the QBs above..I hope he comes out and proves me wrong!

Right, and unfortunately for all of us hog fans, I don't have any direct conclusive evidence from last season to say you're incorrect.

devildoghawg

I personally think our RB/FB will be the strongest part of this team this year, and if we do actually make a bowl game, one of the primary reasons.
Quote from: kingofdequeen on July 25, 2013, 06:21:48 pm
If you've got a dumba** son, do you love him any less?  no.  you just overlook his faults b/c you love him.  At least that's what my dad does.

Uncommon

1. DL
A very experienced and skilled starting front four in Smith, Thomas, Jones, and Flowers.  Also have great depth at DE behind Flowers and Smith with Wise Jr., Lewis, Winston, and Johnson.  Only concern is depth at DT.  You usually need 6 DTs in the SEC and I think we only have 5.  Need to stock up on this position in this years class and its a great year to do it with two in-state talents such as Arkansas commitment Bijhon Jackson and uncommitted Joshua Frazier.

2. K/P/LS
Have this group ranked high because of Hocker's and LS D'Appollonio's experience.  I think Hocker will bounce back this year and D'Appollonio (who is on scholarship now) will continue to be perfect on snaps.  Question mark with this group is when does incoming junior college punter signee Sam Irwin-Hill get here and how well he performs.

3. OL
The group that started on the first team after spring ball concluded started to come together as a unit.  I can't stress how good it is for us to have a 4 year All-SEC center starting for us in this new style of offense.  Also, good to have a reliable LT in Hurd who only gave up one sack last season.  Have some great potential in Smothers and Ollison who if I think do whatever Coach Pittman tells them to do, will be high NFL
draft picks.  Brey Cook is at the other guard and is starting to embrace it and perform.  As for depth, we have 3 lines now (15 scholarship OL) which will be great for competition.  Like where this group is headed.

4. CB
I have this group at #4 because I think we have 4 or 5 cornerbacks that we can put in the game and do well with.  Tevin Mitchel is obviously the leader of the group with Hines, Collins, or Washington manning the other 2, 3, 4 spots.  Liked the praise coming from Bielema on Collins and am also glad to hear Washington is gaining weight.  DJ Dean is one incoming freshman to watch in fall camp.

5. WR
I think this is the group I will say that has waited the most to be in the sun.  And its true with 3 senior wide receivers who are now finally getting a chance to start and have more receptions.  The group of Herndon, Horton, and Wilson will really step up this year knowing that this is THE chance to impress NFL scouts after having to sit the bench behind 4 NFL Draft picks.  Behind them is some more untapped talent in Hawkins, Hatcher, Cowan, and McKay.  I think Hatcher is going to start climbing up the depth chart before the season is over and will be in the starting 3.  Wide receiver is a position we need in this year's class as well.

6. TE
To me, this is the group I get the most excited when I talk about because they all look physically menacing.  If I'm Coach Bielema, this is the group I want coming off the bus first and I want Mitchell Loewen to be the first one.  This guy gets the Gronkowski Award for our team.  I think he's seen the most benefits from Coach Herbert's program more than anyone.  The others (Henry, Tate, Voelzke, and Sprinkle) are all 6'4 and taller.  Each weighs over at least 230 or more and run at least 4.75.  LOTS of potential with this group.  Coach Bielema inherited a great group.

7. RB/FB
Surprising to some but this group comes in at #7.  This simply is because none of the current backs on the team has been the guy yet for Arkansas.  We don't know how well they will handle being the starter.  It's a very good group with Jonathan Williams, Alex Collins, Kiero Small, Patrick Arinze, Kody Walker, and Nate Holmes.  But the RBs have little experience.  However, I think this is the group that will increase the most after this season is over because of the play of Jonathan Williams, Kiero Small, and Alex Collins.  Not to mention some goal line TDs for Kody Walker and some big explosive plays from Nate Holmes.

8. S
Even with the great starting experience of Eric Bennett and Rohan Gaines, this group has little depth and one that needs to be emphasized along with WR and DT in the 2014 recruiting class.  Tiquention Coleman will need to be ready to take Bennett's place once he graduates.  The others in this group are Davyon McKinney and Alan Taylor with incoming freshmen Alex Brignoni and Korliss Marshall.

9. QB
This group comes in at #9 for me because there is so little experience after Brandon Allen who has been at Arkansas for two years now.  AJ Derby who is projected as the second string quarterback has only been playing quarterback on the collegiate level for 1.5 years (1 at Coffeyville Community College and .5 here at Arkansas) and then we have two incoming freshman.  We have to hope that Brandon Allen is all he has been talked about being because he needs to be the guy for Arkansas this year or they won't get to a bowl game.

10. LB
This position is question mark city for the Hogs.  There is so much uncertainty.  For instance, will Jarrett Lake, Daunte Carr, and Braylon Mitchell continue to be the starters?  Will the light bulb go on for Otha Peters?  Will AJ Turner be in the mix after his injury?  Will the newcomers of Martrell Spaight, Myke Tavarres, and Brooks Ellis be in the mix this year?  This group has some depth but Randy Shannon has his hands full this year in deciding on who are going to be the starting three.

bennyl08

Rank.    Position.    Talent.     Experience.    Depth.   
1.          DE.          A+.           A                   A
2.         OG/C.        A.             A.                  A-
3.          WR.          B+.           A-                  A-
4.          ST.           A-              B+.               B-
5.          DT.           A-             B.                  C
6.          S.             B+.           B+.                B-
7.          RB.           B+.           C.                  B+
8.           CB.          B+.            B.                  C+
9.           OT.          B+.           B-                  C+
10.         TE.           B.              C.                  C+
11.         LB.           B-              C.                  C+
12.          QB.          B+.           D+.                 D+

Cumulative GPA= 3.0185 or right at a B.
Talent = 3.4443 or a high B+ low A-
Experience= 2.861 a high B-, low B
Depth = 2.722 or a B-.

For comparison, the all decade Bama team would receive an A+, LSU likely get either an A- or a B+ this coming season. Ole Miss would score well in the experience, but poorly in depth and average in talent.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

HogInFlorida

1. DE
2. DT
3. C
4. PK
5. S
6. RB
7. OG
8. TE
9. QB
10. WR
11. CB
12. LB
Quote from: Mike Irwin on June 12, 2013, 09:18:52 pm
I'd rather be hit over the head with a brick than have to revisit the memories of those seven awful months with coach "Smile" in charge.

bennyl08

I wish there was a way to poll a list like espn does. Averaging the position on the list.
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

Iwastherein1969

1) RB/FB
2) DE
3) DL (interior)
4) Kickers
5) CB
6) OL
7) Safeties
8) LB
9) TE
10) WR's
11) QB
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

tophawg19

i think everyone is underrating the LB'S . Peters and Turner be much better with a years experience . the others have been around a while and now have a good coach to get the best out of them. everyone is also forgetting Reid at qb , he has experience as well . Safety should have some serious hitters this year.
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

HG

The QB position is just hard to rank right now.  There's going to be talent, but the inexperience means we have no idea whether it will be a pleasant surprise or a horrible one next year.  It is promising that the o-line should be one of our stronger areas, though, so even if nobody shines, CBB can certainly get at least a "game manager" performance out of the QB position.  Hopefully better than that, of course, but a game manager isn't the worst thing in the world when experience is so lacking.

secneahog

7.ST(Hocker has been great with sporatic Tejada-like flashes. He'll get it together. I've heard chatterings that Hocker may be punting as well? Who's returning kicks? Nate Holmes?)

8.TE(Bigger, stronger, faster, I just don't know alot about the depth behind HH&Tate. Is Dean expected to line up w Tate in 2TE sets? I can't imagine HH sitting the bench.)

1. De.     Flowers...c.smith. wise...a lot of talent there.
2. Rb.fb.....Kiero, j.will..walker..Collins..Arenzie..with Holmes showing quickness flashes.
3. Dt...Thomas, B.Jones, Arkadie, Philon..studs..
4.oline...hurd, cook, swanson, smothers, ollison..mcclure, stringer getting reps. Very big an physical.
5. Cb..Tevin , hines, Washington..gonna be a strong area.
6..SS, fs....rohan..Bennett...studs.
7...qb...b.Allen will prove ppl wrong. Talented..chaney had Tyler brey looking pretty good, an Tyler can't hold allens jockstrap...
8. St..love hocker but know if hill is gonna make it to campus.
9. Wr..should be higher imo ..herndon, d.Wilson, hatcher, horton, mckay.
10. Te..love Tate..voeleske stud. Hh will be great.
11. Lbers... Hopefully this will be in the top 5 at the end of the year..a lot of bodies to compete..love Shannon...gotta have them this yr show up...  Wps..   10 wins.
Remix MMA.  Alan "the talent" Belcher - Born_Imboden Arkansas- Next 185 UFC Champ!

Hey Super

Quote from: DaddyBoarBucks on June 27, 2013, 10:33:41 am

1. DE
2. DT
3.  ST (P/K/PK)
4. OL
5.  QB
6. RB/FB
7. TE
8. CB
9.  WR
10. Safeties
11.  LB

You really think Brandon Allen is going to be better than J will and Alex Collins? Okay, man.
As the ancient Tibetan philosophy states...... "Don't start none ... won't be none"<br /><br />
Quote from: Seebs on July 23, 2011, 02:33:26 pm<br />Please do not allow facts to get in the way of a good freak out<br />

Tim Harris

I don't really see how people will question the depth at some positions and then list DT towards the top.  I think we only have 5 or 6 total and only 2 of those have every done anything.

Tim Harris

DE
Kickers
RB/FB
WR
CB
OL (This would be higher but our tackles worry me)
DT
TE
S
QB
LB

Uncommon

Quote from: tophawg19 on June 27, 2013, 06:43:19 pm
everyone is also forgetting Reed at qb, he has experience as well.
The reason everyone is forgetting Taylor Reed at QB is because he has transferred to Central Arkansas.

HG

Quote from: BeastBack 50 on June 27, 2013, 09:10:32 pm
The reason everyone is forgetting Taylor Reed at QB is because he has transferred to Central Arkansas.

That's finalized, then?

HG

bennyl08

Quote from: HG on June 27, 2013, 09:30:04 pm
So it seems.  I'd miss 'im, except, well, I hardly knew 'im.

Yeah, I heard he was looking at UCA, but never saw 7 threads saying it happened. A week back I looked it up. I really thought he looked better than Derby in the spring game. Goes to show how much I know. In my defense, I only had three drives on one day to go off of...

Missooie

Quote from: kj0N on June 27, 2013, 11:26:37 am

I agree. There isn't anything of proof to say the QB's are above anyone else yet. Brandon Allen CAN be a great QB. But there hasn't ever been anything to show that he WILL be. Not yet anyways.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: tophawg19 on June 27, 2013, 06:43:19 pm
i think everyone is underrating the LB'S . Peters and Turner be much better with a years experience . the others have been around a while and now have a good coach to get the best out of them. everyone is also forgetting Reid at qb , he has experience as well . Safety should have some serious hitters this year.

I agree with this. I went back and found a big play by A&M at the 2:40 mark of the second qtr last year when we were still in the game (20-10). Manziel dropped back, it was clear that our DL had been told to rush conservatively and make sure that they contain Manziel, so not so much pressure.

We had 7 in coverage, the LB's all had their men covered underneath, but one of our safeties took an inexplicable angle to get over to and cover a streaking Ryan Swope up the far side of the field that left him totally out of position to defend or make any play on the ball. Result: 80 yd TD pass.

So, I thought that our LB's, considering injuries to starters and the inexperience of the kids that had to be inserted because of that, played "ok" last year, though not great. Will our LB's be better this year? I think they will be better than we anticipate but it is kinda like the QB situation...wait and see.

But the one thing that will help us more than anything this year on defense will be an improvement by the Secondary in coverage. If that happens, we might actually have a defense that ends up with total defense rank of #40 to #50 in the country this year and that would help our team as a whole, a great deal.
Go Hogs Go!

secneahog

Quote from: Tim Harris on June 27, 2013, 08:25:18 pm
DE
Kickers
RB/FB
WR
CB
OL (This would be higher but our tackles worry me)
DT
TE
S
QB
LB

You talk about dt depth an ranked high, but you put kickers #2....hocker and......?????
Remix MMA.  Alan "the talent" Belcher - Born_Imboden Arkansas- Next 185 UFC Champ!

Tim Harris

Quote from: secneahog on June 28, 2013, 08:44:10 am
You talk about dt depth an ranked high, but you put kickers #2....hocker and......?????

Irwin-Hill as long as he makes it.  That puts our depth right in line with most everyone else in college football.  1 K and 1 P.  If Irwin-Hill doesn't make it then I would bump them down farther.  By comparison most teams have more than a couple DT that have experience.

DTs
DEs
RBs
WRs
STs
OL
CB's
S
LBs
QBs                         or

Center
DTs
RBs
WRs
STs
DEs
OTs
Gs
TE
Ss
LBs
CBs
QBs

We got zero real experience at QB, zero, zip, none.  Last year only hurt.
Our line will be better but the load will be much larger so the result will not be better.
Our D backfield will be better but not SEC quality                                    The D line will be pretty good but cannot do it all.
The RBs will be decent but will not shine with our OL doing its best.
The WRs will actually be pretty good but will not be utilized due to OL, QB, and coaching choices.
TE will be decent and will be used.
Overall kicking will be OK.
Special teams over all will be decent.
I think we will look better, play harder and act like a team but just don't have the abilities to do much with the system we'll try to operate.  It will take time for the program to recover from the 2012 season and the 180 degree changes in coaching.

HogInFlorida

Quote from: secneahog on June 28, 2013, 08:44:10 am

John Henson is the backupkicker and he has been good. He got put in late in the season last year when Hocker was pulling Tejadas. He also nailed several in the spring game.
Quote from: Mike Irwin on June 12, 2013, 09:18:52 pm
I'd rather be hit over the head with a brick than have to revisit the memories of those seven awful months with coach "Smile" in charge.