Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Redbird Rundown IX

Started by clutch, April 05, 2015, 01:50:00 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

clutch

Season opens tonight! Figured we should get the new seasons thread started since nobody had done so yet. Let's start this season off right with a win over those baby bears!

jrulz83

Looking forward to a fun season.
Lenin is cautiously optimistic.

pigture perfect

Welcome back to the best thread on the board. Looking forward to a pretty good season. Curious how our newer guys are going to mesh with the older ones.  Let the games begin.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

jrulz83

Here are the lineups; Cards starting 5 LH hitters against a LH pitcher and Maddon going full Larussa with the pitcher hitting 8th..... Looks to be a fun one:

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseball/professional/cardinal-beat/cards-will-start-five-lefties-against-cubs-lester/article_bad285e9-827c-568c-bd21-dfbc0d0b7e2a.html

McKdaddy

I'd like to see a solid return here ......

Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

McKdaddy

McKdaddy

McKdaddy

McKdaddy

jrulz83

Good stuff, I've always enjoyed:

dhornjr1

Welcome to the Cardinals, Jason Hayward.

dhornjr1

Peralta looked just about as bad as you could on his first at bat.

clutch

Good start to the season! Can't beat getting a run on the board 1st inning.

jrulz83

Quote from: Imminent Rueage on April 05, 2015, 07:25:26 pm
Peralta looked just about as bad as you could on his first at bat.

Put Kozma in!!!

jrulz83

It's going to be a long season listening to the media slobbering over everything that the Cubs do. Hopefully they're like 20-74 at the AS break.  :)

ucahogfan

Quote from: Imminent Rueage on April 05, 2015, 07:21:22 pm
Welcome to the Cardinals, Jason Hayward.
Hope he enjoys his only season in St. Louis.

jrulz83

Quote from: ucahogfan on April 05, 2015, 07:39:53 pm

He'll enjoy it more than he would have his last in Atlanta

dhornjr1

Quote from: jrulz83 on April 05, 2015, 07:48:24 pm
He'll enjoy it more than he would have his last in Atlanta

Ain't that the damn truth. He openly talked recently about how miserable he was in Atlanta.

He had to come to St. Louis to get a measure of happiness. Much like the miserable Atlanta fans that have to come into the St. Louis thread on this board to find happy fans.

jrulz83

Quote from: Imminent Rueage on April 05, 2015, 07:54:13 pm
Ain't that the damn truth. He openly talked recently about how miserable he was in Atlanta.

He had to come to St. Louis to get a measure of happiness. Much like the miserable Atlanta fans that have to come into the St. Louis thread on this board to find happy fans.

I'd be pretty miserable sitting through that rebuild..... Plus it's tough for ballplayers to start their career with the kind of hype he had and handle the hometown pressure.

I'll give the Braves fans a pass, they're upset over the Kimbrel trade. Their ownership is throwing in the towel on this year and probably the next one.

dhornjr1

Quote from: jrulz83 on April 05, 2015, 08:02:25 pm
I'd be pretty miserable sitting through that rebuild..... Plus it's tough for ballplayers to start their career with the kind of hype he had and handle the hometown pressure.

I'll give the Braves fans a pass, they're upset over the Kimbrel trade. Their ownership is throwing in the towel on this year and probably the next one.

The Kimbrel deal was a surprise. To hear the Braves fans on here talk, he was already the greatest closer ever.

I understand why Atlanta fans are miserable. If my team had won only one World Series title in the last 57 years, I'd be dejected and looking to hang out with some winning fans, too.

ucahogfan

Quote from: jrulz83 on April 05, 2015, 08:02:25 pm

I meant it in a good way.  I really like J-Hey and hated that the Braves traded him away, but he was never going to be sitting through a re-build.  He was the first player sent out that signaled a re-build on the way.

He did have a lot of pressure being the #1 prospect in the minors known for his bat and having his first swing as a big leaguer go the way that it did.  He could be primed for a MVP type season which Braves fans had been expecting.

I just don't see the Cards spending the 20-25M a year it will cost to keep Heyward after next year.  You already have several big contracts and a lot of your young players are about to become more expensive.

The Cards are getting 1 year of the best defense in the OF and a guy who could hit 30 HRs this year.  Although he has struggled in his 2nd and 4th years in the league (WAR of 3.1 combined compared to 3.8 being his lowest otherwise), he could be a 6-8+ WAR guy this year.

The Braves get 4 years of control of a guy who has struggled, but was a highly thought of prospect like J-Hey and could be a #2.  It was an excellent trade for both the Braves and Cards.

jrulz83

Quote from: ucahogfan on April 05, 2015, 08:23:23 pm
I meant it in a good way.  I really like J-Hey and hated that the Braves traded him away, but he was never going to be sitting through a re-build.  He was the first player sent out that signaled a re-build on the way.

He did have a lot of pressure being the #1 prospect in the minors known for his bat and having his first swing as a big leaguer go the way that it did.  He could be primed for a MVP type season which Braves fans had been expecting.

I just don't see the Cards spending the 20-25M a year it will cost to keep Heyward after next year.  You already have several big contracts and a lot of your young players are about to become more expensive.

The Cards are getting 1 year of the best defense in the OF and a guy who could hit 30 HRs this year.  Although he has struggled in his 2nd and 4th years in the league (WAR of 3.1 combined compared to 3.8 being his lowest otherwise), he could be a 6-8+ WAR guy this year.

The Braves get 4 years of control of a guy who has struggled, but was a highly thought of prospect like J-Hey and could be a #2.  It was an excellent trade for both the Braves and Cards.

It was a good deal for everybody. I think the Cardinals will make a run at Heyward (and "flex payroll muscle") if he has a decent year at the plate. Peralta's contract is declining in cost. Holliday is aging and I believe is only guaranteed next year. Jay is never going to be anything more than a solid outfielder. Unless Grichuk goes crazy and starts tearing the cover off the ball, the need will be there for an impact outfielder.

McKdaddy

I did think it was a good, even trade for the braves & Cards.

ucahogfan

Quote from: Imminent Rueage on April 05, 2015, 08:20:51 pm
The Kimbrel deal was a surprise. To hear the Braves fans on here talk, he was already the greatest closer ever.
It surprised me, but I think we got a great return.  First, no more Melvin Upton.  Next, we got a top 70 prospect as well as a top 50 pick in the draft.

Kimbrel's stats back that up.  We have never seen a more dominant 4 year stretch by a closer in MLB history.  He still is pretty young as well.

pigture perfect

Quote from: ucahogfan on April 05, 2015, 07:39:53 pm
I think you took a little shot at Cardinal fans and the organization. I think you may be surprised what the front office will do. I know I always am. They are just as apt to give him his money as not.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

jrulz83

Heyward is certainly enjoying his first game as a Cardinal 3 for 3 and the Cubs are well, despite all the hype, still the Cubs.

popcornhog

Quote from: jrulz83 on April 05, 2015, 08:49:20 pm
Heyward is certainly enjoying his first game as a Cardinal 3 for 3 and the Cubs are well, despite all the hype, still the Cubs.

I just got home and started watching.

I would say that J Hey is off to a wonderful start.

Go Cards!
WPS

popcornhog

Quote from: ucahogfan on April 05, 2015, 08:23:23 pm

I actually agree. I'd love to see him have a monster mvp type of season that will inevitably lead to a big $$$ contract elsewhere. We will need that type of season from him in order to go deep into October.
WPS

razorJAcker

You guys will love Heyward.  Plays hard, does and says the right things, and does all the little things to win games.  He's probably the best defensive outfielder in baseball.  Hopefully, he's figured out how to hit like he was when he first came up with the Braves.  He hit the ball hard almost every time up his rookie year.

popcornhog

Quote from: razorJAcker on April 05, 2015, 08:58:47 pm
You guys will love Heyward.  Plays hard, does and says the right things, and does all the little things to win games.  He's probably the best defensive outfielder in baseball.  Hopefully, he's figured out how to hit like he was when he first came up with the Braves.  He hit the ball hard almost every time up his rookie year.

He's batting 1.00 in his entire Cardinal career.

:)
WPS

jrulz83

Wainwright has given up three lead off doubles, it's going to hurt him.....

pigture perfect

He got out of that jam again. Wow!

McKdaddy

Quote from: jrulz83 on April 05, 2015, 09:03:15 pm

He's just looking for a challenge, ha.

dhornjr1

(Sigh)

I hate that Motte is with the Cubs.

jrulz83

Quote from: McKdaddy on April 05, 2015, 09:11:19 pm
He's just looking for a challenge, ha.

Reverse karma still working.  :)

popcornhog

Quote from: jrulz83 on April 05, 2015, 09:03:15 pm

Locating when he needs to, but inconsistent a little bit tonight and of course no runs yet.

Overall good outing. We definitely need him at full strength this year though, fo sho.
WPS

pigture perfect

popcornhog

Nice grab by the old man!
WPS

jrulz83

Quote from: popcornhog on April 05, 2015, 09:15:31 pm
Locating when he needs to, but inconsistent a little bit tonight and of course no runs yet.

Overall good outing. We definitely need him at full strength this year though, fo sho.

Schilling is going on and on about him, but he hasn't been his sharpest.

dhornjr1

Rosenhausen warming up.

Where's my Xanax?

dhornjr1

Okay. We know the leadoff guy gets on. What happens after that?

jrulz83

Quote from: Imminent Rueage on April 05, 2015, 10:15:18 pm
Okay. We know the leadoff guy gets on. What happens after that?

It's a new season.....

dhornjr1

pigture perfect

Strike out the side?

Magic# 161

jrulz83

That's a winner! 162-0 here we come!

clutch

Cardinals have the best record in baseball right now!

dhornjr1

You couldn't ask for a better opening day. A shutout win over the lovable losers.

jrulz83

Quote from: clutch on April 05, 2015, 10:23:11 pm
Cardinals have the best record in baseball right now!

And the Cubs have the worst. All is right with the world.

dacskc

Quote from: jrulz83 on April 05, 2015, 07:34:25 pm
It's going to be a long season listening to the media slobbering over everything that the Cubs do. Hopefully they're like 20-74 at the AS break.  :)

They're delusional. About 5 min into the game, I was like "yep, same ol' Cubs." Lol. Cubs fans on my Twitter feed were hilarious (they would've totally won if Kris Bryant had been there...of course). Soler looked entertainingly awful. I quite enjoyed it. Wish we didn't have to wait til Tues for game 2.

clutch

Quote from: dacskc on April 06, 2015, 12:54:06 am
They're delusional. About 5 min into the game, I was like "yep, same ol' Cubs." Lol. Cubs fans on my Twitter feed were hilarious (they would've totally won if Kris Bryant had been there...of course). Soler looked entertainingly awful. I quite enjoyed it. Wish we didn't have to wait til Tues for game 2.

Man Soler did look painfully bad in right didn't he? We scored 2 runs on him not being able to get a ball into his hand. The first one he couldn't pick up, with 3-4 tries, and the 2nd one he couldn't get out of his glove.