Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The same old offseason argument

Started by razorbackfaninar, June 30, 2016, 11:33:06 am

Previous topic - Next topic

razorbackfaninar

I know every year at this time, when there is not enough else going on to talk about related to Razorback football the argument about STAR rankings raises it's ugly head.  In fairness a lot of folks on both sides have legitimate points and they make the same ones every year.  Yes some 2 stars turn out to be world beaters.  Some 5 stars turn out to be busts.  I think it's probably fair to say that a team that consistently rakes in high 4 and 5 star talent is generally going to be pretty good on a year in year out basis.  Some teams maximize their 2-3 star talent better than others.  I don't think a 5 star guarantees you a shot at the national championship. What I do think is that it FEELS great to see the team you love and root for pull in a 4 star running back or quarterback, or Linebacker.  It may not make all the difference in the world in the fall, but if your team is coming off of a lackluster season you want something to crow about in the off season.  You want to rub it in the other fans face when a high ranked recruit picks your school over theirs, and I'll admit that although it shouldn't make any difference to me at all, sometimes I feel frustrated for a little bit if a recruit that I think would fit well in our system chooses to go somewhere that I think he's not likely to do as well. (lately that means any highly rated running back that goes almost anywhere else).  I don't think at Arkansas we'll ever be in a position to bring in a majority of 4 or 5 star athletes.  Not that it isn't a great school, not that it isn't a great program, but I legitimately don't think that Bielema looks at that first and foremost ( not to say he wouldn't take a 5 star running back every year) but some coaches think it is important to make as big of a splash as possible in recruiting by bringing in huge noteworthy names that keeps their team in the headlines during the off season regardless of their fit or their character or if the team is even going to sign all of them.  I don't think Bielema sees it that way. I'll admit I don't understand how Texas A&M can still rake in high ranked QB recruits after how hey mismanaged so many of them, or how LSU can pull any high ranked Wide Receivers. I would love as an Arkansas fan to say that we had a top 5 or even 10 class in the nation, but I don't know if that is ever going to happen while Bielema is here based on the way he recruits and what he values, and I don't necessarily think that is a bad thing.

bphi11ips

Life is too short for grudges and feuds.