Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

what I've learned so far today (NSD)

Started by pigskenG, February 03, 2016, 11:20:07 am

Previous topic - Next topic

pigskenG

February 03, 2016, 11:20:07 am Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 03:27:27 pm by pigskenG
* in recruiting, you don't have to end up with a good won - loss record if your state has plenty of talent. (Texas)

* high school football players don't read the paper.  NCAA announcing that they are investigating Ole Miss,
   one week later, Ole Miss signs the #3 recruiting class in the country.                                                                 
   Better than the #5 class that got them in trouble.

* under CBB we have had national media coverage about our rb's and o-line, so naturally this year we
  had trouble signing both positions. go figure.

* I get all worked up leading up to NSD, always just a little disappointed (I'm never satisfied). But by spring ball I'm
  getting all the info I can about the team and then pull for my Razorbacks all year, proud to be a Razorbacker.

* while I was waiting for CBB to come on ESPN . . . just for fun:
   info from 247 Sports
2016 player ranking numbers per state

Texas   ( really just 2 or 3 other major schools in TX recruiting against, + OU )
2       5*
49     4*
212    3*

Louisiana  ( if you can't recruit and win at LSU, you have no business being a head coach )
2       5*
49     4*
211    3*

Mississippi  ( normally not enough talent for 2 major schools, but Ole Miss has their own style )
2       5*
8       4*
39      3*

Georgia    ( only major school in GA, but can't sign 'em all, so get raided by FL, SC, Clem, TN, AU, Bama )
3       5*
22     4*
166    3*

Tennessee  ( typically, only signed 3 from TN. They bypass their own state to go nationwide )
0       5*
8       4*
40      3*

Arkansas  ( in state first {good}, then see who you can get from around us. should be easier, we have the best HC ).
1       5*
2       4*
19     3*

Wow. Putu visits UA, the first major school to offer him, commits to the Hogs, his coach says his papers are coming, only thing is he sent them to Florida, a school he didn't visit.  What an honorable and upstanding young man.

I read that Hjalte Froholdt will move to the OL, not a surprise, I think he will do well there.

Damon Mitchel asking to move to S or RB. He really looks like a great athlete, there has to be a position he excells at.

Watched Coach Bielema's press conference, I feel better already. Thanks coach.  Go Hogs.  :razorback:

nwahogfan1

I think Pittman went after highly rated kids who had to be the right this and right that which is not a bad thing but the recruit were from all over the USA and those are hard to sign. 

I am hoping Coach Anderson has a little better approach.  Lots of very good 3 star OLM within the 500 miles of Fayetteville, Arkansas with all the right tangibles who can be very good college players in 2 and 3 years of hard work in the weight room.   It is all about evaluations.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on February 03, 2016, 11:33:23 am
I think Pittman went after highly rated kids who had to be the right this and right that which is not a bad thing but the recruit were from all over the USA and those are hard to sign. 

I am hoping Coach Anderson has a little better approach.  Lots of very good 3 star OLM within the 500 miles of Fayetteville, Arkansas with all the right tangibles who can be very good college players in 2 and 3 years of hard work in the weight room.   It is all about evaluations.
what good is it to develope guys for the nfl? We want guys who are good in COLLEGE. Develop the 4+* guys!
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

cardinalandwhite

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on February 03, 2016, 11:37:27 am
what good is it to develope guys for the nfl? We want guys who are good in COLLEGE. Develop the 4+* guys!

For one thing, the more success our alumni have in the NFL, the more talent we'll be able to sign.
"Wise people think all they say; fools say all they think." - Anonymous

DCimport

Texas will always have good classes.  NCAA is spinless.  We got two very good RBs in Whaley and yes Hammonds.  OL was a bit disappointing but Pittman jumped ship right before finishing line.

Killean

I don't get why NCAA investigations would scare off recruits for Ole Miss.  They're all being paid.  They already know the NCAA is gonna be sniffing around.
Everyone is born with the right to exist. When you become a Nazi you give up that right.

DCimport

Quote from: Killean on February 03, 2016, 11:40:38 am
I don't get why NCAA investigations would scare off recruits for Ole Miss.  They're all being paid.  They already know the NCAA is gonna be sniffing around.
You wait for them to get experience at the NCAA Investigation Office then hire them as compliance officers in order to know how break rules without being caught. It's not just trying to keep you in compliance.

greenEGnHAWGS

Why would it scare them off? They JUST leaned by this investigation that they CAN cheat and not get caught since all the football allegations regard their old staff.

They now know that Ole Miss is cheating the right way (in a way to not get caught) and they don't have to fear repercussions.
Did they get you to trade a walk on part in the war, for a lead role in a cage...?

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on February 03, 2016, 11:37:27 am
If your best players aren't good enough for the NFL, you aren't going to be very good.

Vantage 8 dude

IMO perhaps the saddest thing about violations-alleged or otherwise-is that in far too many cases either nothing is done or the penalty is far too lenient. I believe that the problem(s) of various violations are so pervasive that the NCAA doesn't really have adequate enforcement power even IF they have the will to do so, which I seriously doubt. Go against some of the "big dogs", particularly all at once, and many of them would likely just tell them to "stuff it" and they'll either end up ignoring you or if the heat gets bad enough, they'll tell you they're going to form a new organization run by/for them. As dumb as the NCAA powers might be, however, they're not stupid. They know exactly who really controls the behind-the-scenes power and more importantly, the purse strings. And it isn't the Northern Illinois and Bowling Greens of the world who are the most violation prone. It is, guess who and surprise, surprise, the major programs who fit into the power brokers and "money bags" of the whole works.

One other thing: when it comes to most individual recruits I believe they could care less. IMO most will look at any potential action and say something like: "Oh well, so the NCAA is investigating. No big deal. Even IF they find anything it will likely be very minor in nature. The penalties, if any, will be a "slap on the wrist"; besides, by that time I'll be long gone so it won't impact me anyway". In other words, it will be business as usual.