Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Most Memorable Recruiting Battle That You've Followed?

Started by Tony Perkis, December 29, 2015, 04:45:04 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

14erHog

Quote from: ThisTeetsTaken on December 29, 2015, 05:51:27 pm
Deangelo was the first "memorable" one for me.  The big "NO" was the first time I really paid attention to recruiting.
Why did he pick UM of Ark?  Sorry I was living out of state so I don't know the story. 
We were sitting on the bus one day and there were 5 of us hanging out. There was only one beer left in the cooler and we actually all took a little cup and split it. It was a pathetic day in a rock and roll when five grown men have to be sitting there sharing a beer.
Zakk Wylde

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.
Thomas Jefferson

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.
Ronald Reagan

oldbear

Batman Carroll and the Batmobile is easily the most memorable. He was a big recruit but none has been so over the top. Can you imagine Coach B hiring a Batmobile to impress a recruit? Hilarious.

Nuttcracker, Sweet!

My first was Jerry Eckwood who was one year behind me, although not at the same school, but both in eastern AR.

I recall a guy a year before Eckwood became a household name telling me Brinkley had a stud player everybody would be after. I though the was blowing smoke at the time, then schools from all over swarmed all over him, just as the guy predicted.

An assistant from GA. Tech whined in the Gazette that Eckwood had been "pressured" to go to UA, like they had a private commit from him.

However, the most memorable easily is the Springdale 5! Out of those 5 kids, only Damian W. ever became more than an average player on the college level, though Mustain had the talent to do better.

That should lend some sanity to recruiting. 2 of the 5 never played a down in college, if I'm not mistaken. Cleveland was average and Mustain started 10 games in 4 years for two schools.

Out of all the battles, many stand out to me in that so many of the players so coveted, both guys who signed with us and those who did not, never did much. Fred Bledsoe for example.

Marc Winston had Florida panting after him. The CB from Marianna who couldn't cover  a manhole, Darius Winston and many more.

I started taking recruiting with a grain of salt years ago. I follow it, but don't live and die with every commitment.

Even when they sign, until I see them on the field against major college competition, I don't get too excited in most cases.

Collins was a pleasant surprise as was Kirkland. I really thought they would go to Miami, but I didn't do cartwheels.

I was a bit let down by DGB, especially after so many on here and other Hog sites were so cocksure he was coming here. The worst part of it was the Mizzou jerk MU Bobby turned out to be right.

Still, I figure he would have bailed after FU Bobby rolled his Harley and DGB played all of two seasons in college as it turned out and set no records at that.

Recruiting is important, but for perspective check in 5 years how many of those 5 star kids bombed in college. Or never got into school.
Making fun of Hootie since 2003

pigskenG

I don't remember the recruiting 'battle', but losing Eric Mitchel from Pine Bluff to Switzer at OU was the most upsetting to me. This guy was an unbelievable talent at QB and we needed a QB badly at the time. Then to watch him spend his career at OU as a back up to Jamile Holloway at QB or a back up RB was tough. I still can't get over it after all this time. You can pull up his OU highlights on youtube.  Can't believe he didn't go to Arkansas. Could have been a record setting wishbone QB for the Hogs, IMO.

Pigasaurus

Springdale 5, boss caught me with headphones on at work listening to Shawn and Wally announce BJ Young for Hogs and DGB.  I had a bad feeling about the the thug picking Mizzou.
"If I wanted you to know what I was thinking, I would be talking."  Al Bundy

SPAL

Chris Baker, Marvin Byrdsong, Marcus Whitmore.

That was when I really started following recruiting.

ChicoHog

Springdale 5 for me.  That's when I joined Hogville about 10 years ago.  I followed recruiting through newspapers before that but when I started reading MMQB everyday to find out what was going on with those guys then I realized I was hooked on Hogville. 

Huds_HawgTide

Devin white is my new one...with all the off  field stuff and now enrolling early and he does a good job at showing three to four schools enough love to feel good bout their chances
"you can get a good look at a t-bone by sticking your head up a bulls ass, but id rather just take the butchers word for it" tom callahan
tommy boy

"Don't leave and be FROM Arkansas, stay and BE Arkansas" --coach jimmy dykes

"Going to mcd's for a salad is like going to a brothel for a hug"

duckman

DGB, although White could end up that way but in our favor....  No source, just my gut.

sowmonella

Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

presidenthog

DGB., then collins. probably in that order as well.

upperdeck_hawg

dgb....how often are we favored to get the #1 player? Never
I don't hate the guy.  He's a great Hog, and a needed contributor.  I despise that he does not understand his role as a complimentary player puts an absolute ceiling on this team.

-ErieHog on Devo Davis

upperdeck_hawg

Quote from: pigskenG on January 03, 2016, 07:38:15 pm
I don't remember the recruiting 'battle', but losing Eric Mitchel from Pine Bluff to Switzer at OU was the most upsetting to me. This guy was an unbelievable talent at QB and we needed a QB badly at the time. Then to watch him spend his career at OU as a back up to Jamile Holloway at QB or a back up RB was tough. I still can't get over it after all this time. You can pull up his OU highlights on youtube.  Can't believe he didn't go to Arkansas. Could have been a record setting wishbone QB for the Hogs, IMO.

OU paid cash money for recruits
I don't hate the guy.  He's a great Hog, and a needed contributor.  I despise that he does not understand his role as a complimentary player puts an absolute ceiling on this team.

-ErieHog on Devo Davis

SNORTZENHOGGER

Well it has got to be Vin Ascolese... on film he was a beast! I believe he is at TCU after not playing football for 2 years... It seemed like we had a Vin Ascolese thread every week when we were recruiting him.
Bobby, Fools'ball is from the devil... Everything is the devil to you, Mama! Well, I like HOGVILLE, and I like football! And I'm gonna keep doin' them both because they make me feel good! And by the way, Mama. "HOGVILLE POSTERS" are ornery 'cause of their "Medula Oblongata"!

WMHawgfan

I remember it being pretty crazy around here during the Darius Winston recruitment. Talk about a 5 star that didn't pan out.

srange98

Easily DGB for me. 

I hardcore lurked here on HV.

regi

Quote from: 14erHog on January 01, 2016, 06:28:50 pm
Why did he pick UM of Ark?  Sorry I was living out of state so I don't know the story. 

His goal was the NFL, Arkansas had D Howard committed and he was higher rated than Williams. Hogs also still had Cobbs and Talley with some eligibility left. Tommy West convinced Williams that he would be the center piece of turning around Mumphis, where he would be another back at UA. Tommy didn't lie. Would have loved for him to be a Hog though.

regi

Fred Bledsoe is one I want forget. He played it right down to the wire and loved every minute of it. Including wearing a Vols and Hog shirt under his hoodie. Problem is, he loved the recruiting more than the practicing (so I have been told).

secneahog

DGB was epic.
Soloman Thomas was good.
Kj Hill was crazy.
Ascolose was bizarre.
Devin White has been good.
Remix MMA.  Alan "the talent" Belcher - Born_Imboden Arkansas- Next 185 UFC Champ!

ThisTeetsTaken

Quote from: regi on January 05, 2016, 07:48:34 pm
Fred Bledsoe is one I want forget. He played it right down to the wire and loved every minute of it. Including wearing a Vols and Hog shirt under his hoodie. Problem is, he loved the recruiting more than the practicing (so I have been told).
I had forgotten about Bledsoe.  I got kicked off of Volchat over that one haha.  How about Lawrence Richardson and Nutt telling him he was his "big balla shotkolla"?
***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: pigskenG on January 03, 2016, 07:38:15 pm

Jamelle Holieway was an exceptional wishbone type QB who was recruited by the likes of Oklahoma, Nebraska, Notre Dame, Colorado, Oregon and USC. As Oklahoma had decided to go a different way with a Pro Style offense with Troy Aikman at the helm it appeared that Holieway might have made the wrong choice in schools. But with Aikman's injury in the Miami loss (14-27), Swtizer re-tooled the Triple Option Offense and inserted Holieway to lead them to 8 straight wins capped by defeating #1 Penn State 25-10 in the January 1, 1986 Orange Bowl.

As good as Eric Mitchell may have been and as good as he might have been at Arkansas, he nonetheless wasn't a Jamelle Holieway. And as an Arkansas fan I don't say this without some level of regret. But truth is truth.
Go Hogs Go!

redeye

Quote from: upperdeck_hawg on January 03, 2016, 11:57:40 pm
dgb....how often are we favored to get the #1 player? Never

Corliss Williamson

And Mustain was considered #1 by one service for a while, but I forget which.  He was considered the #1 QB for some time, but IIRC, he was #1 overall for a short time on one of the services.

The hog meister

Keith Lee and Michael Cage from West Memphis basketball. If Sutton had gotten those two or just Keith Lee we would have had a national championship banner before Nolan arrived.

Tim Harris

Quote from: IBleedRazorbackRed on December 30, 2015, 12:22:44 pm
DGB. But also Demetrius Jackson. He was Kirkland's cousin and was committed to Miami, but had told everyone he was gonna sign with Arkansas on NSD. Even had 2 folders at his ceremony, 1 for Miami and 1 for Arkansas. Ended up signing with Miami when it was all said and done.

That was definitely a tough one.  Some of the recruiting guys already had quotes from him to put in their articles.

Tim Harris

January 06, 2016, 08:19:07 am #74 Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 09:19:27 am by Tim Harris
Here are a few of the recent ones for me.  Anytime there is a big time recruit in state I follow those closely.  Also have a soft spot for people picking us on national TV.

The ones we won

2016 RBs
Collins (Probably my favorite)
Agim
Gragg
Hjalte Froholdt
Brian Wallace
Denver Kirkland
Whaley

The ones we lost

KJ Hill
Josh Frazier
Jermaine Eluemunor

smb

The one and only Alex Collins but thank God he came to the razorbacks. And of course any recruit we flip from Bama, LSU, Ole Miss and Auburn.
GeorgiaHOG

Seminole Indian

"In truth, knowledge is a great and very useful quality; those who despise it give evidence enough of their stupidity. Yet I do not set its value at that extreme measure that some attribute to it." - Michel de Montaigne

ThisTeetsTaken

Quote from: Tim Harris on January 06, 2016, 08:19:07 am
Here are a few of the recent ones for me.  Anytime there is a big time recruit in state I follow those closely.  Also have a soft spot for people picking us on national TV.

The ones we won

2016 RBs
Collins (Probably my favorite)
Agim
Gragg
Hjalte Froholdt
Brian Wallace
Denver Kirkland
Whaley

The ones we lost

KJ Hill
Josh Frazier
Jermaine Eluemunor
I had forgotten about Frazier also. That was some drama.
***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

Calling All Hogs

Quote from: 71832 on December 30, 2015, 01:18:55 pm
Eric Mitchell as a big one back in the day not to mention Keith Jackson.
Both of those hurt but it turned out OK as far as Mitchell not coming to Arkansas because we picked up Quinn Grovey.

IronHog

Quote from: Fatmanhog on December 30, 2015, 11:01:27 am
Jonathan Adams picking Arkansas State. Then Deangelo Williams and Cedric Houston going against the Hogs. Ever since those days i have never got my hopes up until the LOI as faxed in.

Ron Johnson had a nice career......for UAPB.
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

sgfhog

DGB
Brian Wallace
Felix Jones
Brett Smith
Ahmad "Batman" Carroll
Keith Jackson and Eric Mitchel

hei5manhog

"If I can't practice, I can't practice. It is as simple as that. It ain't about that at all. It's easy to sum it up if you're just talking about practice. We're sitting here, and I'm supposed to be the franchise player, and we're talking about practice. I mean listen, we're sitting here talking about practice, not a game, not a game, not a game, but we're talking about practice. Not the game that I go out there and die for and play every game like it's my last but we're talking about practice man. How silly is that?

hei5manhog

Alex was a wild ride too. Short lived but very intense.
Least exciting: Dmac. Thank the Lord.
"If I can't practice, I can't practice. It is as simple as that. It ain't about that at all. It's easy to sum it up if you're just talking about practice. We're sitting here, and I'm supposed to be the franchise player, and we're talking about practice. I mean listen, we're sitting here talking about practice, not a game, not a game, not a game, but we're talking about practice. Not the game that I go out there and die for and play every game like it's my last but we're talking about practice man. How silly is that?

hei5manhog

I remember a bizarre drivetime story/caller, I can't remember, claimed there was a fistfight between Arkansas coaches and OU coaches over Tony Ugoh at his house.

WMHawgfan

Quote from: The hog meister on January 05, 2016, 10:38:03 pm
Keith Lee and Michael Cage from West Memphis basketball. If Sutton had gotten those two or just Keith Lee we would have had a national championship banner before Nolan arrived.
Well Dana Kirk personally gave Keith a shoe box full reasons to go to Memphis State.

GalaHawg

Quote from: WMHawgfan on January 05, 2016, 02:56:57 pm
I remember it being pretty crazy around here during the Darius Winston recruitment. Talk about a 5 star that didn't pan out.

Surprised more people did not mention Darius Winston. 5-star in-state CB, committed, de-committed, re-committed, and the uncle was on here arguing with posters. There was a lot of drama in that story.

supersaint

My own. The Hogs didn't offer me until the day before signing day. I was happy.
There's no sense in nonsense when the heat is hot.

The hog meister

Quote from: WMHawgfan on January 07, 2016, 04:18:13 pm
Well Dana Kirk personally gave Keith a shoe box full reasons to go to Memphis State.
Sutton learned a valuable lesson there. Just 3 years later he left to a program with lots of shoe boxes I mean resources. The program there almost got the death penalty for some serious allegations about players and money. He should have stayed a hog cause he is still revered here.      WPS

bphi11ips

Quote from: whosiskid on December 30, 2015, 05:12:23 am
Showing my age, but Jerry Eckwood. It was never really in doubt that he was going to Arkansas, but he was the first kid in the state who put up incredibly gaudy number. Well, his recruitment was the first.

DGB was probably the most intense, though Devin White is a close second. It didn't help that DGB apparently told more than one school that he was going there. In retrospect he hasn't proven to be a bastion of moral rectitude.

To Devin White's credit, I'm not aware that he has told anyone that he is attending their school.

Thanks for saving me the time.

In 2015, Jerry Eckwood might be the number one player at any position.  As I recall, he was near the top nationally in rypg as a true freshman when he completely tore up his knee in a game at WMS.  I think he was averaging around 150 ypg and had over 700 at the time.  He never was the same again even though he played for a while in the NFL.  Other than Steve Little, one of the tragic stories of life after football for a former Razorback.

I'd add Solomon Thomas to the list, but yours is a good one.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Big Boi

Hey Super

Michael Dyer, Kiehl Frazier, Darius Winston, DGB, Whaley.

As you can see, it's nice to finally land one. I wish Winston would have lived up to his hype.
As the ancient Tibetan philosophy states...... "Don't start none ... won't be none"<br /><br />
Quote from: Seebs on July 23, 2011, 02:33:26 pm<br />Please do not allow facts to get in the way of a good freak out<br />

Tony Perkis

I believe Cleveland and Fulton might be up for consideration for me now.

LightHog

Battle among Hogs, Texass, and OU for QB Jack Mildren - 1968.

hogcard1964

HOGINTENNESSEE

DeltaBoy

Quote from: 71832 on December 30, 2015, 01:18:55 pm
Eric Mitchell as a big one back in the day not to mention Keith Jackson.

Those 2 and Basil Shabazz !
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Cobbler

Quote from: regi on January 05, 2016, 07:46:23 pm
His goal was the NFL, Arkansas had D Howard committed and he was higher rated than Williams. Hogs also still had Cobbs and Talley with some eligibility left. Tommy West convinced Williams that he would be the center piece of turning around Mumphis, where he would be another back at UA. Tommy didn't lie. Would have loved for him to be a Hog though.

Howard was c/o 2001. Williams was 2002. We had Dedrick Poole already committed, but Williams was rated higher (at least on Rivals).

bigyellowdog

February 03, 2016, 10:43:04 am #97 Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 12:05:42 pm by bigyellowdog
Basketball:  Keith Lee, Willie Cutts, Corliss, Ronnie Brewer, the two guys who signed with UK

Football:  Cobbs, Brett Smith, Alex Collins, Dyer, Springdale 5, Tenpenney, DGB, the kid who flipped to Ohio State

rogersvillemohog

The Good: Alex Collins

The Bad: Jordan Eluemunor

The Ugly: DGB

Honorable Mention: Michael Dyer
Arkansas Football: It's the players running through the A, Hog Hats, and Big Red. It's more than 70,000 fans calling, "WOO PIG SOOIE!"

Arkansas Football: It's the State of Arkansas banding together behind one team, and a mascot like no other. Those select few who put on the jersey are... chosen. They wear the colors, they pay the price, and they succeed. They are exceptional, they are Razorbacks.

Together we stand as tall as the towers of Old Main. Our memories are etched in stone like names on Senior Walk. And our blood flows Razorbacks Red. For 100 years we've been Hogwild and today we continue the tradition.

We are Arkansas Razorbacks!