Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Most Memorable Recruiting Battle That You've Followed?

Started by Tony Perkis, December 29, 2015, 04:45:04 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Perkis

Everyone has to have a specific player(s) that you have borderline obsessed over and followed during their recruiting.

Mine was probably DGB. I checked the boards more than any medical professional would recommend. I was so upset after watching him commit to Mizzou that I skipped class for the rest of that day and sulked.

NLRHog92

Same. Even got up early to see the announcement. Was really excited when night before everyone was so sure, only for this to have changed overnight and be let down (and legitimately pissed) when he announced. In hindsight, sure he was a great player and would have been amazing under Bobby, but he was wasn't here during DGB's collegiate career and Green-Beckham ended up making a LOT of mistakes off the field and never fully living up to potential on. Solly Thomas was a close second, as I was hooked into following recruiting after the DGB fiasco. White and/or Whaley will be this year's letdown.

jgphillips3

DGB.  Although, as a combo, White/Whaley is approaching that level.

sickboy

The Springdale 5 for me. Because it was five players coming from the same school and Mitch Mustain was supposed to be the second coming. Add Gus to the storyline and it was a lot to keep up with.

Tony Perkis

Quote from: sickboy on December 29, 2015, 05:04:08 pm
The Springdale 5 for me. Because it was five players coming from the same school and Mitch Mustain was supposed to be the second coming. Add Gus to the storyline and it was a lot to keep up with.
This was right before I really got into recruiting. I can only imagine.

Country Stylz

ThisTeetsTaken

Quote from: Country Stylz on December 29, 2015, 05:42:55 pm
DGB, Brett Smith, Deangelo Williams....
Deangelo was the first "memorable" one for me.  The big "NO" was the first time I really paid attention to recruiting.
***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

older boar

No doubt--The Springdale 5.  Looking back it was the best of times & the worst of times.

Huds_HawgTide

"you can get a good look at a t-bone by sticking your head up a bulls ass, but id rather just take the butchers word for it" tom callahan
tommy boy

"Don't leave and be FROM Arkansas, stay and BE Arkansas" --coach jimmy dykes

"Going to mcd's for a salad is like going to a brothel for a hug"

PharmacistHog

Springdale 5 were the very first. Then Michael Dyer. After that I just became cynical and refuse to recognize commitments until they sign. I just cant take it.
Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm<br />Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.<br />
Quote from: GA reddiehog on April 16, 2024, 07:44:38 pmPitching over hyped and hitting nonexistent is going to make for several loses here on out. Maybe it will not be as bad as the BB team. Lack of hitting has been a problem for many moons.

The Boar War

Easily DGB.  I used to spend a lot of time in the Recruiting Forum.  Now I won't even watch a recruit's film until he's signed on the dotted line.

Dr. Sheldon Cooper

DGB.  Damn, that was tough!  First time I'd ever followed recruiting here at HV, or anywhere else for that matter.  Was on here constantly, convinced myself that he was a Hog lock, then felt like I was punched in the stomach! 
:puke:
Promised myself never again, but I've kinda let that slip a little this year with the White/Whaley sweepstakes.  Won't let myself get too invested though, hopefully one or both will sign-on, if not, I'm sure we'll be just fine...
If at first you don't succeed,
then skydiving is not for you...

Tony Perkis

Quote from: Dr. Sheldon Cooper on December 29, 2015, 06:58:01 pm
DGB.  Damn, that was tough!  First time I'd ever followed recruiting here at HV, or anywhere else for that matter.  Was on here constantly, convinced myself that he was a Hog lock, then felt like I was punched in the stomach! 
:puke:
Promised myself never again, but I've kinda let that slip a little this year with the White/Whaley sweepstakes.  Won't let myself get too invested though, hopefully one or both will sign-on, if not, I'm sure we'll be just fine...
I was told by a relative of one of our coaches at the time that DGB was as solid as they come. This was two days before my heart was ripped out.

greenEGnHAWGS

DGB by far, but I was very excited about Solomon Thomas and was sure he was coming to the UofA. He made the announcement early that day and I left 30 minutes late for work just to watch him pull out that dumb tree from under the table. I was all "Why the FACE?!"😲
Did they get you to trade a walk on part in the war, for a lead role in a cage...?

razorbacker3

DGB, then Soloman Thomas. I was sure we had both of those studs. Hopefully this doesn't happen with Whaley. I can't see why he would pick Texas over us. That OV scheduled for late jan. concerns me.

southeasthog

Cedric Cobbs. Called the Arkansas Democrat to find out who he signed with. 

Poker_hog

MM and it's not even close.  I've never seen a hs coach leverage an oc position over one player.  Shotgun wedding...
Sometimes wrong, but never in doubt

Arkansasno1

My first was in basketball. Was Ryan Humphrey. Dudley Dawson was really burned by him if I remember correct. Lead him on to believe he was announcing for Arkansas. Dudley traveled to see him announce in person and he went elsewhere. I remember Dudley being pretty upset about that one.

Football was Cedric Houston, again another guy who burned us.
"Be content and resigned to God's will."
~Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

PorkRinds

Tony Perkis

Dominicanhog

Billy Simms, Big Earl and Jerry Eckwood was exciting... Joe Ferguson, Billy Ray Smith, Ron Furoughtt, Lawrence Richardson and his buddy, who we missed on... Dalton Santos, DGB  etc, etc, etc...

we've missed on so many that you become immune after a while, happy with what you get and forget what you didn't.. some coach said if you don't get em, you don't need em...

Hambunctious

JUCO recruit Dorsett Davis.  Lost him to MSU when his father refused to let him sign with AR.  There were some very heated threads on the old Pigpen board when that happened.  Mass Hog fan bannings on Gene's MSU forum as well.
I don't care if others use my avatar, but don't claim it's yours exclusively.

whosiskid

Showing my age, but Jerry Eckwood. It was never really in doubt that he was going to Arkansas, but he was the first kid in the state who put up incredibly gaudy number. Well, his recruitment was the first.

DGB was probably the most intense, though Devin White is a close second. It didn't help that DGB apparently told more than one school that he was going there. In retrospect he hasn't proven to be a bastion of moral rectitude.

To Devin White's credit, I'm not aware that he has told anyone that he is attending their school.
"It's no trick to make a lot of money...if all you want...is to make a lot of money." - Bernstein, in Citizen Kane

"What if you were given the task of entertaining yourself all day but were finished by noon?" - Kierkegaard

"The disposition to admire, and almost to worship, the rich and the powerful, and to despise, or, at least, to neglect, persons of poor and mean condition [is] the great and most universal cause of the corruption of our moral sentiments." - Adam Smith

"That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves." - Kim Stanley Robinson

DCimport

Cedric Houston.  I remember the gurus having to drive all the way to Clarendon To hear him announce for the  :puke: vols ???

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Solomon Thomas and Bijhon Jackson. I was so sure we would get Thomas and lose Jackson to Bama. Woke up early on NSD to watch the "Official signatures" get faxed in and reported to the public. Reality was the complete opposite of my prediction.
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

trphog

DGB for sure. I will never forget: I went home from work to watch the announcement live. During the broadcast someone on the broadcast whispered over the air, very attainably, "it's Arkansas" only then to hear DGB say "Missouri." After that, I believe nothing until the ink is dry.

The Hogfather

Tony Perkis

Quote from: trphog on December 30, 2015, 07:31:26 am
DGB for sure. I will never forget: I went home from work to watch the announcement live. During the broadcast someone on the broadcast whispered over the air, very attainably, "it's Arkansas" only then to hear DGB say "Missouri." After that, I believe nothing until the ink is dry.
I remember hearing the whisper over the air and jumping up and down...I don't think I've ever cursed anyone so hard.

Funny (kind of) now that I cheer for him every Sunday.

Fatmanhog

Jonathan Adams picking Arkansas State. Then Deangelo Williams and Cedric Houston going against the Hogs. Ever since those days i have never got my hopes up until the LOI as faxed in.
to nutt or not to nutt, thats not even a question any more.

POST 1475 OF I JUST STEVEN HILL...
Quote from: alohawg on October 26, 2009, 03:44:04 PM
I think his comes naturally, hermaphrodite??? A new nickname maybe, 'the mighty hermaphrodity'

The Hermaphronutt

Country Stylz

LRHawg

Quote from: trphog on December 30, 2015, 07:31:26 am

Yeah what a kick in the pills that was.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: older boar on December 29, 2015, 06:20:41 pm
No doubt--The Springdale 5.  Looking back it was the best of times & the worst of times.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

IBleedRazorbackRed

DGB. But also Demetrius Jackson. He was Kirkland's cousin and was committed to Miami, but had told everyone he was gonna sign with Arkansas on NSD. Even had 2 folders at his ceremony, 1 for Miami and 1 for Arkansas. Ended up signing with Miami when it was all said and done.

Eric Mitchell as a big one back in the day not to mention Keith Jackson.

wholehog92

Ahmaad (Batman) Carroll was probably the first one I tracked.

The Springdale 5 was a whole new level of intensity and drama.

By the time DGB came along, I was calloused, but it also helped we were doing really well on the field.
My personal list of trolls so that I can remember not to reply to them:  Pigs Been Fly, gohogsgo006, hanksampson, no3putts, HarryGoat, Oxbaker, Olmissbydamn, LocalHawg, Thatguy, Masterhog, servicesupport, Razorhawg09, Big Poppa Z,  $100 Handshake, Poloprince.

List of folks that reasonable conversation will not happen:  Iron Hog, Jman, hognot, Solomwi, hogfan1111x, pigzwillrise.

Favorite Posters:  WilsonHog, Tomhog, Muskogeehog, Razorfox, TammayTom, razorback3072, bennyl08.

Torqued pork

Houston Nutt in football.
Penny Hardaway in basketball.

SamBuckhart

BE TRUE TO YOUR SCHOOL. THE UNIVERSITY OF ARKANSAS!!!  WOOO PIG!!!

redeye

Quote from: Fatmanhog on December 30, 2015, 11:01:27 am
Jonathan Adams picking Arkansas State. Then Deangelo Williams and Cedric Houston going against the Hogs. Ever since those days i have never got my hopes up until the LOI as faxed in.

I don't recall the circumstances, but I remember knowing that Adams would not sign with Arkansas for some reason.

With the exception of Eckwood, I remember all the battles mentioned here, but really don't know which was more memorable.  The Springdale 5 was a long affair that was full of angst and DGB was a huge disappointment because everyone knew he'd choose Arkansas.  It seems like there was one in particular that changed my approach to how I view recruiting, but I think it was bad and I've blocked it out.  I can remember being very happy when Joe Adams flipped, though.

edit: I think I might say Lawrence Richardson, because he was considered such a huge get at the time.  Nutt actually had a lot of success with highly rated players and Richardson was considered the cherry for that class.  Batman Carroll was just as big and was more dramatic, but Richardson was the first huge out-of-state recruit in the modern era, imo.

kp72204

Quote from: greenEGnHAWGS on December 29, 2015, 07:19:44 pm
DGB by far, but I was very excited about Solomon Thomas and was sure he was coming to the UofA. He made the announcement early that day and I left 30 minutes late for work just to watch him pull out that dumb tree from under the table. I was all "Why the FACE?!"😲
This, by 100! I let HV have me write a check that was denied at recruiting team rankings by fellow college fans. Then lost a wr to an Oklahoma fan. Forgot receivers name, but I don't think he ever played again

EternalSunshine

As far as football I don't usually get that upset...dgb was definitely one I followed and watched, kj last year  basketball are the ones I remember. Thaddeus Young and Jared Honeycutt come to mind. Al Jefferson signing and then going pro. Andre Igoudala signing and then leaving when Nolan was fired. On the positive Corliss Dmac and Cedric cobbs stand out and who can forget how excited everyone was for Gary Brashears

redeye

Quote from: EternalSunshine on January 01, 2016, 04:50:07 am
As far as football I don't usually get that upset...dgb was definitely one I followed and watched, kj last year  basketball are the ones I remember. Thaddeus Young and Jared Honeycutt come to mind. Al Jefferson signing and then going pro. Andre Igoudala signing and then leaving when Nolan was fired. On the positive Corliss Dmac and Cedric cobbs stand out and who can forget how excited everyone was for Gary Brashears

Wasn't Honeycutt's first name Jerald?  I can remember being really disappointed when he committed elsewhere, because I thought Nolan had him locked up.  Othella Harrington was another one around that time that disappointed me.  Both were the power forward types Nolan seeked after Larry Johnson said he needed some men, but it turned out that Corliss, Dwight, Darnell and Lee were plenty man enough to win a national championship.

I almost mentioned Gary Brashears too, because it seems he's always forgotten.  The big thing with him was that he was the most touted QB Arkansas had signed since at least Mike Cherry, if not Joe Furgeson, and many Arkansas fans dreamed of having a great QB to lead a prolific passing attack at that time.  That was also around the same time that rivals and online recruiting were becoming a thing, which I'm sure added to the excitement.

EternalSunshine

;)
Quote from: redeye on January 01, 2016, 05:46:42 am
Wasn't Honeycutt's first name Jerald?  I can remember being really disappointed when he committed elsewhere, because I thought Nolan had him locked up.  Othella Harrington was another one around that time that disappointed me.  Both were the power forward types Nolan seeked after Larry Johnson said he needed some men, but it turned out that Corliss, Dwight, Darnell and Lee were plenty man enough to win a national championship.

I almost mentioned Gary Brashears too, because it seems he's always forgotten.  The big thing with him was that he was the most touted QB Arkansas had signed since at least Mike Cherry, if not Joe Furgeson, and many Arkansas fans dreamed of having a great QB to lead a prolific passing attack at that time.  That was also around the same time that rivals and online recruiting were becoming a thing, which I'm sure added to the excitement.
It was Jerald...Im all thumbs typing on the iphone. ;)

Großer Kriegschwein

Mine was Corliss Williamson..........

It was just awesome to see the National Player of the Year having committed to Nolan as a 9th Grader and everyone else in the country sulking.

Was a thing of beauty to see. And man he didn't disappoint.
This is my non-signature signature.

redeye

Quote from: EternalSunshine on January 01, 2016, 03:04:47 pm
;) It was Jerald...Im all thumbs typing on the iphone. ;)

Well, I had to look it up.   ;D

I was thinking his name was Gerald with a 'G'.

Country Stylz

FATHAWG08

DGB- The drama never quit. Alex Collins- Momma runs off with LOI.
I love off season Football!!

berryhog

DGB, without a doubt.  Even had a couple of mods bowing up at each other on that one.

PiggoBitttys

Springdale 5. I was so obsessed, I drove to and attended the press conference with Damian Williams where he announced he would be a Razorback.

Thankfully, I'm learning to take recruiting in stride. :)

b_stackhouse

The worst one was DGB. I'm a high school teacher, and he was set to announce right after we changed classes. A couple of kids wanted to watch so I pulled it up in class. He said MIZZOU and I was so pissed. It quickly became a "work on something, be quiet, and don't bother me" type of day.

The best was Alex Collins. I remember watching the recruiting show when he committed to Arkansas. It was a wild ride with his mom stealing his LOI, but it had a happy ending.