Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

wally hall - calls out cbb and "administrators"

Started by ballz2thewall, November 07, 2017, 10:06:08 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Youngsta71701

Quote from: hogsanity on November 07, 2017, 11:59:30 am
I have said it is time for BB to go.

But the same people who have called Wally a hack for the last several years now suddenly think he is some great journalist because he finally shows up to the party.
Lol...that is pretty funny.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

East Clintwood

Quote from: hawgsalot on November 07, 2017, 12:36:39 pm
Oh good grief slam him on CBB but he's done miracles growing revenue and adding new facilities.  I can't stand people who say yeah revenue is great yet he has nothing to do with it or Anderson was coming with or without him blah blah blah.  Fact is under his watch both are true give credit where credit is due and blame where it's due but don't blame and minimize credit to fit an agenda.

Jeff Long is not some super-duper Athletic Director Man. 

Any competent AD could have done every bit the job that Jeffy has done with the finances here.  There is nothing magical about it and there has not been one single miracle has happened.

The growth in revenue comes from Jeffy raising ticket prices, donation requirements, concession prices, and the one, single largest increase came from the SEC revenue sharing.  Jeffy had nothing to do with the SEC money and Arkansas is not special there as every conference gets an equal share.  Once again, Jeffy raising prices was not a miracle, took no special skill, and anybody could have done it.

As for facilities, I think in general he has done a good job but I see no miracles there and once again, that is part of the AD's job and any other competent AD could have done the same.

Jeffy's biggest shortcomings though, are his choices as head coaches in every sport but especially football and the culture change that he's pushed onto the whole department that deemphasizes the importance of winning.
Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

East Clintwood

Quote from: Jim Harris on November 07, 2017, 12:28:43 pm
Why did the Ole Miss game "lose its luster" just because of Arkansas' performance vs. Costal Carolina. Later that day, Ole Miss won at Kentucky. I'd say Arkansas's win at Ole Miss looks more impressive now. Most people feel Kentucky has played well this year, was 6-2 going into the game.

I don't think that it ever had much of a luster to begin with.

I think people were so desperate for anything good to happen for the team that they grasped onto the Ole Miss win like grabbing onto a life preserver.  There wasn't much reality to it, they just held onto it because it felt good.

A week later everybody sees what went down with Coastal Carolina and they realize that the team keeps getting worse, not better and that the Ole Miss game was a fluke.

It really had nothing to do with the Rebel Black Bearsharks.
Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

ricepig

Quote from: The ColonelHog on November 07, 2017, 01:22:35 pm
I gather from your post since I've been on HV that you have pretty close ties to someone sitting pretty lofty at the UA and you never go out on a ledge or perpetrate an agenda which is admirable.  I tend to pay close attention to your post so I will ask you this question;  you honestly don't think it's a little odd that the Arkansas media is sharpening the axe?  The Pig Trail show after the USCe game was especially brutal and now Hodges and Wally!

In all my years, I just don't remember the Arkansas media being this outspoken and negative about a coach of any sport unless said coach was a goner.

No, what I'm saying is that Bobbitt or Steinmetz will do the firing, the BOT might give their "guidance". The BOT relies on their administrators to do the nuts and bolts work in the system, they don't choose football coaches or for the most part AD's, they choose Chancellors and the President.

Now, if they get a snoot full of hearing too much from the alums and fans, they will ask the administrators to take care of it.

huntindoc

Quote from: ricepig on November 07, 2017, 01:00:32 pm
The BOT isn't going to fire Bielema, they have more important duties as Trustees. Now, they may tell Bobbitt and Steinmetz to improve the football team, which does the same thing, but there won't be any vote on the coach or AD.

While I think you're right, I don't see how supervising the highest paid public employee in the state is unimportant.  Hopefully they do as you say.

ballz2thewall

Quote from: ricepig on November 07, 2017, 01:58:32 pm
No, what I'm saying is that Bobbitt or Steinmetz will do the firing, the BOT might give their "guidance". The BOT relies on their administrators to do the nuts and bolts work in the system, they don't choose football coaches or for the most part AD's, they choose Chancellors and the President.

Now, if they get a snoot full of hearing too much from the alums and fans, they will ask the administrators to take care of it.

spot on.

i've posted this a few weeks ago. steinmetz did time at ohio state. he has said "at ohio state you had 2 years or you're gone. here; it's been FIVE YEARS!"
The rest of the frog.

ricepig

Quote from: huntindoc on November 07, 2017, 01:59:31 pm
While I think you're right, I don't see how supervising the highest paid public employee in the state is unimportant.  Hopefully they do as you say.

The bulk of his salary is from private funds, he's limited in the amount the university can pay him, so the RF should have a bigger say, haha.

The Hawg Marshal

Serious question. Who made the decision to "fire" Nutt?

Hoginsavga

Quote from: ricepig on November 07, 2017, 01:00:32 pm
The BOT isn't going to fire Bielema, they have more important duties as Trustees. Now, they may tell Bobbitt and Steinmetz to improve the football team, which does the same thing, but there won't be any vote on the coach or AD.

What?? I read in an earlier comment you made that the athletic budget is $97.5m.  Sounds like that number would qualify as a fairly important duty even for the busy BOT. Not saying you are wrong about passing the buck but I would like to think the BOT could let their wishes be known in about five minutes or less.

During my career I was involved with some fairly high profile board members of our corporation that also had limited time because of running their own corporations. However, when it came time to lay the hammer down they would do without hesitation. When the structure of the entity is facing damaging circumstances it's time for the BOT to take control, IMO.

ricepig

Quote from: Hoginsavga on November 07, 2017, 03:27:30 pm
What?? I read in an earlier comment you made that the athletic budget is $97.5m.  Sounds like that number would qualify as a fairly important duty even for the busy BOT. Not saying you are wrong about passing the buck but I would like to think the BOT could let their wishes be known in about five minutes or less.

During my career I was involved with some fairly high profile board members of our corporation that also had limited time because of running their own corporations. However, when it came time to lay the hammer down they would do without hesitation. When the structure of the entity is facing damaging circumstances it's time for the BOT to take control, IMO.

They have administrators handle the business of their respective campuses. They meet in 5 regularly scheduled meetings in a year, with at most, a couple of special meetings. The BOT doesn't handle the day to day business, they pay Steinmetz  $700,000 and Long $1m a year to do that. I'm not sure what Bobbitt makes, but he's paid to administer over the entire system.

razorcash2

Quote from: East TN HAWG on November 07, 2017, 12:23:42 pm
As stated earlier in this string, Wally is generally the last to pile on a coach.  He is the editor of the states largest paper, and he would not do anything to alienate his sources at the U of A.  Wally has obviously talked to someone, and he knows something. 

The timing of this article is not by accident.  The BOT meets tomorrow, and this article was written to apply pressure to one or more members of the BOT before the meeting.

I don't know is the pressure is ultimately meant for Long or CBB behalf.  I doubt we replace both at the same time.  I believe something is going down this week even though we may not hear anything about it.   
+1

razorcash2

The Hawg Marshal

Hoginsavga

Quote from: ricepig on November 07, 2017, 03:33:59 pm
They have administrators handle the business of their respective campuses. They meet in 5 regularly scheduled meetings in a year, with at most, a couple of special meetings. The BOT doesn't handle the day to day business, they pay Steinmetz  $700,000 and Long $1m a year to do that. I'm not sure what Bobbitt makes, but he's paid to administer over the entire system.

Okay, your comment about more important duties threw me off a little, lol.  I do agree that passing the responsibility of actions downward to the appropriate administrators is the right thing. I am sure the BOT will express their concerns.

Thanks for your reply.

elksnort

Quote from: ricepig on November 07, 2017, 01:58:32 pm

"Snoot full" hahaha! An important donor, pissed at the Razorbacks' performance and had maybe too many fingers of booze....

ricepig

Quote from: Hoginsavga on November 07, 2017, 04:13:49 pm

Okay, your comment about more important duties threw me off a little, lol.  I do agree that passing the responsibility of actions downward to the appropriate administrators is the right thing. I am sure the BOT will express their concerns.

Thanks for your reply.

Well, I would think the health and welfare of the students and various campuses in the system rate a lot higher on their list of worries, than the football team. The athletic department budget doesn't even show up on the Fayetteville campus $453m budget.

Hoggish1

Having been around a lot of those administrators and knowing how the culture is on the hill, it gives me a sinking feeling to read Wally's mention of the growth in that class of denizen on campus.  These folk$ are doing well without a whole lot of accountability.

Long is among this group that live high off the Hog. 

This was actually one of Hall's better articles in my opinion.

ballz2thewall

Quote from: Hoginsavga on November 07, 2017, 04:13:49 pm

Thanks for your reply.

i'm pretty sure the ncaa has strict rules prohibiting bot's from direct, hands-on with regard to athletic hires.
The rest of the frog.