Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

ASU is getting a reputation...

Started by Ugly Uncle, December 11, 2013, 10:29:18 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

pigbacon

Quote from: jesterzzn on December 12, 2013, 12:31:47 pm
Has that ever actually happened?

I view coaching and preaching as very similar. It's no different than a small town church.

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: 1highhog on December 12, 2013, 04:30:29 am
I don't know about that UU, you might have something there, but IMO they'll just keep on getting the one and done type Coaches or get stuck with a coach who just has moderate success there, like before this last 5 Coach ride.  Look at Tulsa in basketball years back, they produced the likes of Nolan, Tuberville, Self, granted, they were there longer than a year but they went to their next job and won National Titles.  So Tulsa started getting the reputation as a proving ground for Coaches coming up and winning big there and then moving on soon after.  But Tulsa hasn't become anything else since, and these will all be hall of fame Coaches.  Tulsa has just settled back to having one guy there that's Coached there and had just moderate success.

I get what you are saying.  It is the hiring that must stay on top of the game.  You get tired of hiring the up and comer and losing them after a year or two, so you get a retread to keep stability.  That is typically when the program will slip back down to mediocrity.  So the administration must continue to go out and hire the best and brightest young coach giving them the opportunity to prove themselves.  Even if they only stay one year, but they win in that one year you are building your schools credibility as a place where you are winning only the best and you want winners.  I hope ASU doesn't get tired of changes top level coaches and settles for a warn out retread coach.  Eventually they will find someone that will stick and make ASU a southern BCS buster school.  ASU just has to fight through the let down of losing coaches in back to back to back seasons.  It is the rare occasion where you do not want stability for the sake of stability.  You want the hired gun.  The mercinary to come in  raise the awareness of your football program, even if it is only for a year.  The more successful couches you have there, the more coaches will have knocking on your door to prove themselves.  Eventually there will be one that has a dream of building a mid-major into a major player on the national scene.  I think this is a process and ASU is in the second phase of that process.  I think the future is very bright for ASU as long as the Admin. keeps seeking the rising star and doesn't settle of mediocrity in their football program.  ASU will soon be a destination job if this keeps up.  ASU Admins must stay the course in finding who the next big coach will be and getting him.
Retired Radio Host

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: Razorhawg09 on December 12, 2013, 10:45:57 am
HSU's Scott Maxfield has had some contact ab the position.

I like Scott.  I think he would be a good choice.  My thoughts are someone with a little bit bigger resume...but he would be a great fit and continue winning big at ASU.
Retired Radio Host

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: arkjay19 on December 12, 2013, 11:30:57 am
It's such a tough thing to repeat over and over again though.  They're already pushing their luck with the last three.  Sooner or later they'll get a bust and he'll stay around longer than any of the others.

If they wanted to say with a rising star that would bring immediate attention to them but may only stay for a year or two they should go with Dowell Loggains (TITANS OC).  Big splash.  Arkansas boy.  Offensive mind.  NFL experience.  He is available.  I bet he would stay at least 3 years and build ASU in ton a Sunbelt power.  After that he is probably looking to get back to the league...or not.  Getting an NFL OC to come coach your team makes some noise around the country and on the recruiting trail.  Dowell would knock them dead at ASU.  If Dowell is only there for a couple of years, THEN you go get Rhett.  You can continue to build your program on great coaching talent.  Don't settle ASU, don't settle.
Retired Radio Host

Ugly Uncle

December 13, 2013, 04:49:30 am #104 Last Edit: December 13, 2013, 06:51:29 pm by Ched "UglyUncle" Carpenter
Quote from: GolfNut57 on December 12, 2013, 04:01:24 pm
You would be treated no differently than RicePig is when he comes to the ASU board. And fwiw I don't recall seeing any ASU fans over here claiming that Jonesboro is much nicer to live in than Fayetteville. As far as talking smack about each others team? To me that is just a part of college sports. It goes with the territory of being a fan of any  team in particular. Every team out there is going to have its share of haters. If someone can't handle his team being smack talked he/she either needs to grow a thicker skin or stop following sports. JMO of course.

You pretty much nailed it right there imo. Had openings not existed at those respective schools each coach likely stays at ASU for more than one year. Of course that also means that ASU would still likely have Freeze at the helm going on for three years now had Ole Miss not had their opening.

I think what people feel to realize is that Jonesboro and Fayetteville may SEEM completely different they are not.

I grew up in Jonesboro (Give em HAIL Hurricane) and now live in NWA.  For a nice place to raise your kids, good schools and a nice quiet town you can't beat Jonesboro.  NWA, has more stuff to do and I live out in the country with my kids going to a country school and I love it here.  Jonesboro is a great city.  Love my peeps from over there.

ASU could be a dominate mid-america sunbelt team.  I believe with the talent they can bring in there that they could climb the latter and get into one of the power conferences eventually.  It seems their administration is buying in to making ASU a serious force in football.  I'm telling you, it could happen.

Keep getting offensive minded coaches.  Get a proven High School coach if need be.  Show that you can compete against the big boys.  If a coach leaves after a couple of years or even after one year, you go out and get the next hot shot coach.  Eventually the program will be such a success that someone who falls in love with Jonesboro, like I did when we moved there when I was in the 9th grade, will build a consistent BCS buster team.

I SO hope the Admin DOESN'T get tired of the one and dones there.Keep going after that top coaching talent.  Eventually one of them will put down roots and build a monster.
Retired Radio Host

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: McHogLovin on December 12, 2013, 08:34:05 pm
I've never once made that argument of winning with other guys players.  I think that can actually prove how good some coaches actually are.  I've made arguments for coaches that have started with a bare cupboard.  Bert isn't one of them.  My disapproval for him came from what I saw at Wisconsin and hated the hire.  All that build up to end up with this stinking guy.  But I will admit his cupboard was pretty bare when he arrived.  Not as bad as what CBP inherited though.

If you hated hiring a coach that got his team to three BCS bowls then you need to stop following football and start following soccer played in outer Mongolia instead.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: chiefsfan on December 12, 2013, 04:05:35 pm
Bruce Feldman of CBS Believed it.  He actually called Houston Nutt to see if he had a response to the article.

My point was it had already been posted. Why repost it. People need to pay attention.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: GolfNut57 on December 12, 2013, 04:01:24 pm
You pretty much nailed it right there imo. Had openings not existed at those respective schools each coach likely stays at ASU for more than one year. Of course that also means that ASU would still likely have Freeze at the helm going on for three years now had Ole Miss not had their opening.

You must have forgot there is ALWAYS openings every year. What makes you think they would have stayed anyway.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: pigbacon on December 12, 2013, 09:26:22 pm
I view coaching and preaching as very similar. It's no different than a small town church.

I think I know what you are trying to say and I agree with that.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Ched "UglyUncle" Carpenter on December 13, 2013, 04:49:30 am
I think what people feel to realize is that Jonesboro and Fayetteville may SEEM completely different they are not.

I grew up in Jonesboro (Give em HAIL Hurricane) and now live in NWA.  For a nice place to raise your kids, good schools and a nice quiet town you can't be Jonesboro.  NWA, has more stuff to do and I live out in the country with my kids going to a country school and I love it here.  Jonesboro is a great city.  Love my peeps from over there.

ASU could be a dominate mid-america sunbelt team.  I believe with the talent they can bring in there that they could climb the latter and get into one of the power conferences eventually.  It seems their administration is buying in to making ASU a serious force in football.  I'm telling you, it could happen.

Keep getting offensive minded coaches.  Get a proven High School coach if need be.  Show that you can compete against the big boys.  If a coach leaves after a couple of years or even after one year, you go out and get the next hot shot coach.  Eventually the program will be such a success that someone who falls in love with Jonesboro, like I did when we moved there when I was in the 9th grade, will build a consistent BCS buster team.

I SO hope the Admin DOESN'T get tired of the one and dones there.Keep going after that top coaching talent.  Eventually one of them will put down roots and build a monster.

Wow UU. I guess you think Ft Collins has a chance to be a NC contender and big time program as well some day. 

GolfNut57

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on December 13, 2013, 05:40:23 am
You must have forgot there is ALWAYS openings every year. What makes you think they would have stayed anyway.

In Freeze's case I choose to take him at face value and believe that he would not have left if it hadn't been for his dream job at Ole Miss. Same with Harsin and Boise St. Malzahn? mehhhh.......maybe he leaves either way but we will never know. What other big time jobs were open last year that might have interested Malzahn?  Now if Saban does take the TX job and Malzahn applies to be the new HC in Bama. That should answer that one for sure.
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

GolfNut57

Quote from: Ched "UglyUncle" Carpenter on December 13, 2013, 04:07:41 am
I get what you are saying.  It is the hiring that must stay on top of the game.  You get tired of hiring the up and comer and losing them after a year or two, so you get a retread to keep stability.  That is typically when the program will slip back down to mediocrity.  So the administration must continue to go out and hire the best and brightest young coach giving them the opportunity to prove themselves.  Even if they only stay one year, but they win in that one year you are building your schools credibility as a place where you are winning only the best and you want winners.  I hope ASU doesn't get tired of changes top level coaches and settles for a warn out retread coach.  Eventually they will find someone that will stick and make ASU a southern BCS buster school.  ASU just has to fight through the let down of losing coaches in back to back to back seasons.  It is the rare occasion where you do not want stability for the sake of stability.  You want the hired gun.  The mercinary to come in  raise the awareness of your football program, even if it is only for a year.  The more successful couches you have there, the more coaches will have knocking on your door to prove themselves.  Eventually there will be one that has a dream of building a mid-major into a major player on the national scene.  I think this is a process and ASU is in the second phase of that process.  I think the future is very bright for ASU as long as the Admin. keeps seeking the rising star and doesn't settle of mediocrity in their football program.  ASU will soon be a destination job if this keeps up.  ASU Admins must stay the course in finding who the next big coach will be and getting him.

As it stands right now ASU is already a "destination" job. For those young, upcoming OC's that want the chance to prove their worth as a HC so they can then move on to their dream jobs.
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: GolfNut57 on December 13, 2013, 07:49:30 am
In Freeze's case I choose to take him at face value and believe that he would not have left if it hadn't been for his dream job at Ole Miss. Same with Harsin and Boise St. Malzahn? mehhhh.......maybe he leaves either way but we will never know. What other big time jobs were open last year that might have interested Malzahn?  Now if Saban does take the TX job and Malzahn applies to be the new HC in Bama. That should answer that one for sure.

A coach saying he wouldn't leave for anywhere else besides only one other place. You really believe that? WOW! Do you honestly not believe he would have left for practically ANY SEC, PAC12, Big10, Big12 or ACC school? You are forgetting rule number 1 of coaching. Say what you think the fans want to hear when it comes to your loyalty to their team. You are also forgetting fan rule number 1. NEVER believe a coach strictly on face value. Freeze, Malzahn or Harsin would have left for a pretty good sized number of other jobs. They may have even left for what you and I consider lateral moves at that level. NEVER, EVER believe a coach when he says things that make you think he is as loyal to the school or team as you as a diehard fan is.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: GolfNut57 on December 13, 2013, 07:51:21 am
As it stands right now ASU is already a "destination" job. For those young, upcoming OC's that want the chance to prove their worth as a HC so they can then move on to their dream jobs.

It's official you are a nut and not just a golf one. By simply saying "until they move on to their dream jobs" means it isn't a destination job. As long as a coach can move up then that upward move doesn't necessarily have to be a dream job. Even so called lateral moves are sometimes done.   

Mulberry Squeezins

Quote from: Ched "UglyUncle" Carpenter on December 11, 2013, 10:29:18 pm
Arkansas State is getting to be known as a proving ground for rising coaching stars. That shows a big shift in growth in the program. People don't look at it as a dead end job, but one where you can be successful. What this means is that there will be a young rising coaching star that will stay and will build a very good program there. ASU is now an attractive job. I expect them to get another good young coach and eventually they will find their Chris Peterson.

Yeah, I heard the Guy from the coaching search web site on Sirius Radio on Monday too.  Thought he made some great points about ASU.  Gave all the credit to ASU's president and AD for having a good eye for young coaching talent.

Mulberry Squeezins

Quote from: Ched "UglyUncle" Carpenter on December 13, 2013, 04:07:41 am

Yep, just about verbatim what the guy from coaching search said. 

Kicking Wing

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on December 12, 2013, 07:10:59 am
Thompson is from east Arkansas. If he wanted to retire there I could understand that. A coach (or almost everyone else) from somewhere else probably wouldn't have that desire. Sorry but Jonesboro is not know as a retirement mecca.
Brady loves it there and has said on many occasions that if he had known he could make what he is making and live on a golf course in JB he would have done it a long time ago.

ricepig

Quote from: Kicking Wing on December 13, 2013, 09:48:56 am
Brady loves it there and has said on many occasions that if he had known he could make what he is making and live on a golf course in JB he would have done it a long time ago.

You mean where there is no pressure to win, like at LSU? Brady is going to have to kick up his golf game a notch if he's going to retire at Ridgepointe, haha.

arkjay19

Quote from: chiefsfan on December 12, 2013, 04:12:56 pmWe cant keep going forever, but I think that's part of the reason we wont go after an Orgeron type coach.  We'd much rather a coach come in, stay one year and win, than find a coach who stays 4 years and loses.
Anyone would rather rent a winning season than settle for losing seasons, but the chances of that happening decrease every time ASU has to hire another coach. It's not that their current method is a bad system, it's that it is extremely unlikely to last very long.

Quote from: chiefsfan on December 12, 2013, 04:12:56 pmWe also pay enough to outbid teams for coaches.  We can get into a bidding war with a P5 school for an assistant now, and could outbid several MAC and CUSA schools for head coaches if it came to it.  We've got a much larger pool for assistants than most schools at our level, and we pay our head coaches more than both NIU and Fresno paid for theirs.

Based on what, a few buyouts?  Just two years ago Freeze was making $202,000, lowest in the FBS.  ASU had to scrap up everything they possibly could to get Malzahn to $850,000. Harsin is getting about $725,000.  That's only good for third-best just in the Sun Belt.

Arkansas State is not going to win any bidding wars with any school that wants their guy.  They have to ride out their "hot" label right now because that is their only edge.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Kicking Wing on December 13, 2013, 09:48:56 am

I will admit Jonesboro is better than Baton Rouge Louisiana.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: ricepig on December 13, 2013, 09:54:05 am
You mean where there is no pressure to win, like at LSU? Brady is going to have to kick up his golf game a notch if he's going to retire at Ridgepointe, haha.

No kidding. He also might want to consider winning a few more basketball games.

arkjay19

Quote from: Ched "UglyUncle" Carpenter on December 13, 2013, 04:49:30 am

I grew up in Jonesboro (Give em HAIL Hurricane) and now live in NWA.  For a nice place to raise your kids, good schools and a nice quiet town you can't be Jonesboro.  NWA, has more stuff to do and I live out in the country with my kids going to a country school and I love it here.  Jonesboro is a great city.  Love my peeps from over there.
I was mildly surprised looking at the last census at how much the Jonesboro area is booming. I thought growth in the state was more NWA and central Arkansas, but Jonesboro is right up there close behind them.

The Jonesboro School District can't even really grow because it is surrounded by other school districts that are constantly growing. Paragould, Greene County Tech, Valley View and Brookland just keep on growing.

Quote from: Ched "UglyUncle" Carpenter on December 13, 2013, 04:49:30 amASU could be a dominate mid-america sunbelt team.  I believe with the talent they can bring in there that they could climb the latter and get into one of the power conferences eventually.  It seems their administration is buying in to making ASU a serious force in football.  I'm telling you, it could happen.

I SO hope the Admin DOESN'T get tired of the one and dones there. Keep going after that top coaching talent.  Eventually one of them will put down roots and build a monster.

I think coaches make the biggest impact in college football of any sport in any league, but resources also play such a huge part in it.  It's an arms race in college football and Jonesboro isn't there.

Boise State can't compete with the big boys and Boise is three times the size of Jonesboro.  The Boise metro is about six times the size of the Jonesboro area.  And they make more money too.

In 10, 15, 20 years or so I think Jonesboro and ASU may grow to be pretty formidable on the big stage, but I just don't think they are there yet.  It'd be awesome to see them in the CUSA, MAC or maybe even the American Conference or Big XII some day, but they need more people, more resources and, most importantly, more money.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: arkjay19 on December 13, 2013, 10:59:44 am
In 10, 15, 20 years or so I think Jonesboro and ASU may grow to be pretty formidable on the big stage, but I just don't think they are there yet.  It'd be awesome to see them in the CUSA, MAC or maybe even the American Conference or Big XII some day, but they need more people, more resources and, most importantly, more money.

The problem with that is most "big stage conference" teams are also growing in people, resources and money. Hard to move up when the one's above you are also getting bigger and stronger as a whole.

arkjay19

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on December 13, 2013, 11:05:44 amThe problem with that is most "big stage conference" teams are also growing in people, resources and money. Hard to move up when the one's above you are also getting bigger and stronger as a whole.

Exactly.  Jonesboro just has next to no value to bigger conferences right now.  Any conference that wants to tap into that area is going to think Memphis is the way to go.  Jonesboro has to grow at a faster rate than its competitors over a period of time to become a more attractive option.

chiefsfan

Quote from: arkjay19 on December 13, 2013, 10:44:39 am
Anyone would rather rent a winning season than settle for losing seasons, but the chances of that happening decrease every time ASU has to hire another coach. It's not that their current method is a bad system, it's that it is extremely unlikely to last very long.

Based on what, a few buyouts?  Just two years ago Freeze was making $202,000, lowest in the FBS.  ASU had to scrap up everything they possibly could to get Malzahn to $850,000. Harsin is getting about $725,000.  That's only good for third-best just in the Sun Belt.

Arkansas State is not going to win any bidding wars with any school that wants their guy.  They have to ride out their "hot" label right now because that is their only edge.

I am quoting statistics.  Tim DeRuyter at Fresno and Rod Cary at Northern Illinois are making 500K per year.   A large portion of coaches in the MAC and CUSA, and several coaches in the MWC make less per year than we pay.

Also, the money is not nearly as dry as it once was.  We intentionally pay our HC a little less than we can actually pay them because we provide a house in a gated community and two personal vehicles as part of the job.  Make no mistake that for the right coach the money is there.   We were prepared to pay Malzahn 1.5 million annually had Auburn not come calling.   We're quite sure that we could pay up to about 1.3 million now annually if we needed to.

As for the odds going down?  Most proven G5 winners go through this.  NIU is on their 4th coach in the least 6 years and they still were 1 game away from busting the BCS again this year.  No one wants to lose a HC every year, but at the G5 level you have to forget the idea of looking for a long term coach, and rather look for someone who can win right now.   The idea is the opposite at an SEC school like Arkansas, where you can afford to rebuild slowly.
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: chiefsfan on December 13, 2013, 11:41:32 am
I am quoting statistics.  Tim DeRuyter at Fresno and Rod Cary at Northern Illinois are making 500K per year.   A large portion of coaches in the MAC and CUSA, and several coaches in the MWC make less per year than we pay.

Also, the money is not nearly as dry as it once was.  We intentionally pay our HC a little less than we can actually pay them because we provide a house in a gated community and two personal vehicles as part of the job.  Make no mistake that for the right coach the money is there.   We were prepared to pay Malzahn 1.5 million annually had Auburn not come calling.   We're quite sure that we could pay up to about 1.3 million now annually if we needed to.

As for the odds going down?  Most proven G5 winners go through this.  NIU is on their 4th coach in the least 6 years and they still were 1 game away from busting the BCS again this year. No one wants to lose a HC every year, but at the G5 level you have to forget the idea of looking for a long term coach, and rather look for someone who can win right now.   The idea is the opposite at an SEC school like Arkansas, where you can afford to rebuild slowly.

Excellent point I agree.

arkjay19

Quote from: chiefsfan on December 13, 2013, 11:41:32 amI am quoting statistics.  Tim DeRuyter at Fresno and Rod Cary at Northern Illinois are making 500K per year.   A large portion of coaches in the MAC and CUSA, and several coaches in the MWC make less per year than we pay.

I know the statistics.  My point was that just because those schools are paying what they are, doesn't mean they can't pay more.  Arkansas State is paying its coaches the most it ever has.  It's not the same case at a lot of those other schools.

Quote from: chiefsfan on December 13, 2013, 11:41:32 amAlso, the money is not nearly as dry as it once was.  We intentionally pay our HC a little less than we can actually pay them because we provide a house in a gated community and two personal vehicles as part of the job.  Make no mistake that for the right coach the money is there.   We were prepared to pay Malzahn 1.5 million annually had Auburn not come calling.   We're quite sure that we could pay up to about 1.3 million now annually if we needed to.
I'll believe it when I see it.  I remember how they had to scramble to get to $850,000.  It's tough to think they can octuple the salary in just three years.

Quote from: chiefsfan on December 13, 2013, 11:41:32 amAs for the odds going down?  Most proven G5 winners go through this.  NIU is on their 4th coach in the least 6 years and they still were 1 game away from busting the BCS again this year.  No one wants to lose a HC every year, but at the G5 level you have to forget the idea of looking for a long term coach, and rather look for someone who can win right now.   The idea is the opposite at an SEC school like Arkansas, where you can afford to rebuild slowly.
Never debated that a lot of G5 schools can find temporary success with short-term coaches, but that's why a lot of them have done it.  They find success, the coach or coaches leaves and then they fade back out and someone else takes their place.

That's why Boise State stood out.  They kept everything in house and the coaches stayed so much longer.  All programs have their ups and downs, but you in for a harder and longer crash in a system where you get dependent on short term solutions.

PolishPigPower

Quote from: reddogjcss on December 11, 2013, 11:03:44 pm
State becoming the Boise of the south! Well that is a big step up. Young coach with ambition can go to state and if he does good he's off to the big bucks.
One other thing the AD there is doing a great job on coaching talent he's hiring.
It want be long someone will be offering him a nice high paying job,

If the coach leaves the "Boise State of the South" to go to the real Boise State, doesn't that make it more like the "Wyoming of the South"?
Quote from: Cooper on November 16, 2008, 10:35:46 pm
I might try my hand at some porn.

Quote from: Breems on May 02, 2011, 02:55:14 pm
Last post in the Tavern here.  See you guys.  Have fun.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: PolishPigPower on December 13, 2013, 01:12:56 pm
If the coach leaves the "Boise State of the South" to go to the real Boise State, doesn't that make it more like the "Wyoming of the South"?

Good point. I believe it does.

MountieDawg

If coaches are getting new jobs at better destinations, I would say your program is in better shape than fire 3 coaches in 7 years.
SEC!

Kicking Wing

Quote from: arkjay19 on December 13, 2013, 11:25:24 am
Exactly.  Jonesboro just has next to no value to bigger conferences right now.  Any conference that wants to tap into that area is going to think Memphis is the way to go.  Jonesboro has to grow at a faster rate than its competitors over a period of time to become a more attractive option.
What "bigger conferences" are you talking about?  The size of the city where a college is located has very minimal impact on the strength of its athletic programs.  If it did, UNT or SMU would be much more formidable than UA.

GolfNut57

Quote from: PolishPigPower on December 13, 2013, 01:12:56 pm

Nah...he just left the Boise St of the South to go to the Boise St of the North.  :D

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: dustypig on December 13, 2013, 08:29:54 am
Yep, just about verbatim what the guy from coaching search said. 

Good.  I don't have satellite radio and didn't hear it but I'm glad he agrees with me. 
Retired Radio Host

Seminole Indian

December 13, 2013, 07:36:24 pm #133 Last Edit: December 13, 2013, 08:02:14 pm by Seminole Indian
ASU can accomplish what they want in the SBC, just like Boise did in the WAC.

Besides going forward you are either 'P5', or you are not, and if you are not you better win. Regardless of who the HC is next year I expect ASU to compete for the SBC Championship, and make a bowl game. They have talent that good already on their roster, although they do need some depth at DT, other than that they are good to go. If fact they will be more talented than this years team.

As far as Jonesboro, it has turned into and outstanding college town, and the support of ASU in Jonesboro and NEA  is outstanding. As a result ASU has seen a dramatic increase in the caliber of players and coaches it can attract the last few years, and look for that to continue.

"In truth, knowledge is a great and very useful quality; those who despise it give evidence enough of their stupidity. Yet I do not set its value at that extreme measure that some attribute to it." - Michel de Montaigne

Seminole Indian

Quote from: Seminole Indian on December 13, 2013, 07:36:24 pm

As far as landing another quality coach, coaches tend to network and Freeze, Malzahn and Harsin, are all letting it be known that they feel ASU is an outstanding job, and are highly recommending it to those asking and apparently a lot are asking.

There are also a lot fewer FBS openings this year than last at this time
"In truth, knowledge is a great and very useful quality; those who despise it give evidence enough of their stupidity. Yet I do not set its value at that extreme measure that some attribute to it." - Michel de Montaigne

nextlevel

ASU can accomplish what they want in the SBC, just like Boise did in the WAC.

Boise went to BCS bowls, an undefeated team from the sunbelt might get to play in the Liberty bowl...
Quote from: GUVHOG on March 07, 2011, 11:26:42 am
I'll make a prediction: If BCG were to get the Tennessee job, Calipari will be fired from UK within 2 years because from the 2013-2014 season on, Tennessee will own the SEC East until BCG moves on or retires.

ell oh ell

chiefsfan

Conference means next to nothing at the G5 level.  We wouldn't get any more exposure in CUSA than we would in the SBC.   Only reason to move for anyone is money.

City size also has nothing to do with how good an athletic program is.  Otherwise programs like Memphis would be near the top of the country, and Arkansas wouldn't.
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

chiefsfan

Quote from: nextlevel on December 13, 2013, 07:51:58 pm
Boise went to BCS bowls, an undefeated team from the sunbelt might get to play in the Liberty bowl...

You go undefeated in the SBC, you're only competing with the MWC, AAC, MAC, and CUSA champs for a bowl berth.  If they don't have an undefeated team, you're in.

Mulberry Squeezins

Quote from: Ched "UglyUncle" Carpenter on December 13, 2013, 06:57:18 pm
Good.  I don't have satellite radio and didn't hear it but I'm glad he agrees with me.

Mkay

Fatty McGee

Quote from: 1highhog on December 12, 2013, 04:30:29 am
I don't know about that UU, you might have something there, but IMO they'll just keep on getting the one and done type Coaches or get stuck with a coach who just has moderate success there, like before this last 5 Coach ride.  Look at Tulsa in basketball years back, they produced the likes of Nolan, Tuberville, Self, granted, they were there longer than a year but they went to their next job and won National Titles.  So Tulsa started getting the reputation as a proving ground for Coaches coming up and winning big there and then moving on soon after.  But Tulsa hasn't become anything else since, and these will all be hall of fame Coaches.  Tulsa has just settled back to having one guy there that's Coached there and had just moderate success.

Actually, Tulsa basketball got tired of having coaches leave, and so tried to hire someone who would stay.  He turned out to be mediocre, so they got back on the up and coming bandwagon.  That has had mixed success, as any coaching hire at any level will do, but they now have Danny Manning who looks to be improving them somewhat. 

A school has to know its place in the pecking order.  ASU has no other choice, and really there's nothing wrong with being a stepping stone.
Bandit: Hey wait a minute, wait a minute. Why do you want that beer so bad?
Little Enos: Cause he's thirsty, dummy!

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: GolfNut57 on December 13, 2013, 04:27:29 pm
Nah...he just left the Boise St of the South to go to the Boise St of the North.  :D

Really? ASU can only dream about having a program such as Boise has had. ASU is not the Boise of the south or anywhere. It is ASU of Jonesboro.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: chiefsfan on December 13, 2013, 07:59:12 pm
You go undefeated in the SBC, you're only competing with the MWC, AAC, MAC, and CUSA champs for a bowl berth.  If they don't have an undefeated team, you're in.

ALL of those conferences you listed is a step up from the Sunbelt. It would take a miracle for a sunbelt team to get a BCS invite.  Having no undefeated team from your conferences listed above does not constitute a miracle in and of itself.

Inhogswetrust

As far as Jonesboro, it has turned into and outstanding college town, and the support of ASU in Jonesboro and NEA  is outstanding. As a result ASU has seen a dramatic increase in the caliber of players and coaches it can attract the last few years, and look for that to continue.

Not so fast my friend. You claim not to be a fan of their's but yet that sounds like a fan posting there.
I will get clawed by Red Wolf fans for saying this but Jonesboro is FAR from an outstanding "college" town and ASU's support athletically is far from outstanding. I have several years experience there. You say you've never been there IF I remember correctly so how would you know. ASU is in a constant struggle athletically even when they do have a really good team to keep what support they do have and trust me it isn't outstanding.

immahog

as long as we are throwing names out how about kevin kelly from PA???
No lions No tigers No bears.....ImmaHog

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: immahog on December 14, 2013, 08:18:41 am
as long as we are throwing names out how about kevin kelly from PA???

His name has already been mentioned on here. Actually I would love for him to get a college job such as ASU just to see IF his system would work at that level.

Hogfaniam

Quote from: nextlevel on December 13, 2013, 07:51:58 pm

If Asu goes undefeated in 2015, they can pretty much write their own ticket.
"My dog Sam eats purple flowers"

Seminole Indian

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on December 13, 2013, 05:40:23 am
They said so, and are telling other coaches asking them about the current opening.

They are telling everyone that they liked everything about ASU, the school, the Administration, and the community, and they would only have left ASU for the job they got, their destination/dream job. May not be true but it carries weight with coaches that are asking.

They also telling everyone that you can win and win big at ASU........right now, because they recruited the players at ASU.

A coach at Ole Miss told me that one coach who is on record as not being interested, but after talking to Malzahn and Freeze, is very interested, and told his agent he would like the job, and would take a pay cut to get it.

The coaching community is much tighter than most fans think, most never make a move without talking to other coaches, and right now ASU is the hot ticket to the big show, and Freeze, Malzahn and also Harsin are letting those that ask know it, and a lot are asking

Mulberry Squeezins

Quote from: Seminole Indian on December 14, 2013, 09:04:17 am
They said so, and are telling other coaches asking them about the current opening.

They are telling everyone that they liked everything about ASU, the school, the Administration, and the community, and they would only have left ASU for the job they got, their destination job. May not be true but it carries weight with coaches that are asking.

They also telling everyone that you can win and win big at ASU........right now, because they recruited the players at ASU.

A coach at Ole Miss told me that one coach who is on record as not being interested, but after talking to Malzahn and Freeze, is very interested, and would like the job.

The coaching community is much tighter than most fans think, most never make a move without talking to other coaches, and right now ASU is the hot ticket to the big show, and Freeze, Malzahn and also Harsin are letting those that ask know it, and a lot are asking

What are they suppose to say.  Man am I glad I got out of that hell hole?

Let me put this in some lingo that you can understand.  Coach Speak like speaking in forked tongue.

Seminole Indian

Quote from: dustypig on December 14, 2013, 09:09:04 am
What are they suppose to say.  Man am I glad I got out of that hell hole?

Let me put this in some lingo that you can understand.  Coach Speak like speaking in forked tongue.
What I said is the truth, and more importantly other coaches interested in the ASU job believe them.

ricepig

Quote from: Seminole Indian on December 14, 2013, 09:16:48 am
What I said is the truth, and more importantly other coaches interested in the ASU job believe them.

Prove it, post direct conversations and recordings, otherwise you are just repeating what has been said on message boards and in the paper.