Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Which SEC coaches get fired this year?

Started by Martygit, September 28, 2017, 08:33:23 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Martygit

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-football/who-will-be-first-sec-coach-fired-this-season/

"If Arkansas truly believed it could contend, Bielema would be a logical choice. At some point, reality has to kick in. I think the reality of Arkansas' ceiling will save Bielema this season, but I don't see a whole lot behind Austin Allen to save him next year. On merit alone, he hasn't done enough to continue, but what coach is bringing a Playoff push to Fayetteville? There are 30 Power 5 schools just like Arkansas. You can waste a lot of money going through head coaches and still end up on the same floor."
RIP OTR, REV

Razorbackers

If he doesn't go bowling we'll have to fire him, right?

I mean you can't go 8, 7, and then 5 and keep your job pretty much anywhere.

If he somehow gets us into a bowl game, I'm assuming he'll be around 1 more year.

Athog

1highhog

Quote from: Razorbackers on September 28, 2017, 08:36:17 am

If he somehow gets us into a bowl game, I'm assuming he'll be around 1 more year.

He won't be fired this year IMO, perhaps next year.

Hogwild

If we don't go bowling, that would mean an SEC record that only won a maximum of 2 conference games.
His overall SEC record after 5 seasons would stand at either  10-30, 11-29, or 12-28.  No matter which of the three records he owns, no coach in the history of the SEC has lost 28-30 conference games in 5 years and saw year six. I believe that he has to make a bowl to keep his job. I still believe we make a bowl.

hoghiker

Not going to be a good year to be looking for a coach. Two many bigger fish in front of us in the line. Not sure who we would hire. BB may not be the answer, maybe even probably, but I'm not to the place where I'm screaming for anyone but BB. We'd be way down the list of the top contenders.

Razorbackers

Quote from: Hogwild on September 28, 2017, 08:48:40 am

If we don't go bowling, that would mean an SEC record that only won a maximum of 2 conference games.
His overall SEC record after 5 seasons would stand at either  10-30, 11-29, or 12-28.  No matter which of the three records he owns, no coach in the history of the SEC has lost 28-30 conference games in 5 years saw year six. I believe that he has to make a bowl to keep his job, I still believe we make a bowl.

My thought as well. If we make a bowl, fine, keep him. I get it.

But if we don't, there can't be any justification. Not with this team and that schedule.

go hogues

Quote from: MartinGit on September 28, 2017, 08:33:23 am
...what coach is bringing a Playoff push to Fayetteville? There are 30 Power 5 schools just like Arkansas. You can waste a lot of money going through head coaches and still end up on the same floor."
A bitter pill but 100% the truth.
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

Razorbackers

Quote from: go hogues on September 28, 2017, 08:53:59 am
A bitter pill but 100% the truth.

Well, it's the truth for an overwhelming majority of schools, though. So don't feel too bad.

jkstock04

I don't think we will fire him the conventional way and pay him off the full amount. But I do think if we only manage 3-5 wins somehow or another he will step down/take another job.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

go hogues

Quote from: hoghiker on September 28, 2017, 08:48:51 am
Not going to be a good year to be looking for a coach. Two many bigger fish in front of us in the line. Not sure who we would hire. BB may not be the answer, maybe even probably, but I'm not to the place where I'm screaming for anyone but BB. We'd be way down the list of the top contenders.
Yep. This and the buyout will be why we don't cut bait.
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

Hogwild

Quote from: Razorbackers on September 28, 2017, 08:52:26 am
My thought as well. If we make a bowl, fine, keep him. I get it.

But if we don't, there can't be any justification. Not with this team and that schedule.

If we don't make a bowl this year, it would mean that we would have to lose atleast 5 more games this season.  That would leave us with 2 wins in our last 11 games against P5 schools, under a best case scenario. The vile that would come from the fan base would be out of control.  It would literally kill recruiting for the '18 class and put the next coach in a hole for the '19 class.

Marshfieldhog

I think he will want out, he knows next year would be a first year QB and no Ragnow from an OL that is terrible at best.

razorsharptusk

So according to this, we should just be happy to have a 10-24 SEC record coach and not try to find that right fit that we had with Petrino ever again.  Give me break.  Petrino had us relevant, like the guy or not.  So YES, we can be a relevant program with the right coach.  Push forward...
GO HOGS!!

DeltaBoy

We are just poor little old Arkansas so we can settle for what we get with a smile since Jeff Long just so much smarter than the rest of us. He brings in millions and going to mold us into Vandy West.
Buyout or not this team needs to win 7-8 games with a bowl win to keep his job.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

HogFaninMemphis

Quote from: razorsharptusk on September 28, 2017, 09:15:05 am
So according to this, we should just be happy to have a 10-24 SEC record coach and not try to find that right fit that we had with Petrino ever again.  Give me break.  Petrino had us relevant, like the guy or not.  So YES, we can be a relevant program with the right coach.  Push forward...
Of course. I think more the argument is that he'd cost a fortune to fire and that there's a lot of good open jobs opening up that will fill up with most of the names that have been mentioned as potential replacements.
If you don't get your job done, you shouldn't keep it; however, you shouldn't be fired (without scandal) unless the institution is positive it is better without you and has someone in mind.
Go Hogs, Go Cardinals, and Go Grizzlies!

DeltaBoy

Sumiln Bret and Tenn coach, any or all 3 could be gone after bowl season.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

HogFaninMemphis

Quote from: DeltaBoy on September 28, 2017, 09:23:00 am
We are just poor little old Arkansas so we can settle for what we get with a smile since Jeff Long just so much smarter than the rest of us. He brings in millions and going to mold us into Vandy West.
Buyout or not this team needs to win 7-8 games with a bowl win to keep his job.
Did I miss something? Why does everyone hate Jeff Long so much?
His job is a lot more than hiring and firing football and basketball coaches. Bielema isn't working out, but he wasn't a bad hire. To say he was is revisionist history.
The football stadium expansion is about rich people, yes, but that's because rich people are the big dollars. He's not doing some novel concept. Everyone here doesn't hate Jerry Jones just because Cowboys games cost a million dollars to attend.
He is almost universally regarded as a great AD by everyone except for our fan base. I have no personal feelings or affiliations toward the man, but come on.
It's not his fault that Bobby Petrino decided to get himself fired. The Smiley year was an utter disaster, but most transition years like that are. Bielema was a good hire, but sometimes things don't work out.
I think we need to be able to acknowledge that the football program isn't Bama, but we're not Vandy, either.

HogFaninMemphis

Quote from: DeltaBoy on September 28, 2017, 09:27:46 am
Sumiln Bret and Tenn coach, any or all 3 could be gone after bowl season.
I expect Sumlin and Jones gone. I'd be SHOCKED if Butch kept his job. He almost got fired last weekend.

Kevin

Quote from: HogFaninMemphis on September 28, 2017, 09:31:33 am
His job is a lot more than hiring and firing football and basketball coaches. Bielema isn't working out, but he wasn't a bad hire. To say he was is revisionist history.
The football stadium expansion is about rich people, yes, but that's because rich people are the big dollars. He's not doing some novel concept. Everyone here doesn't hate Jerry Jones just because Cowboys games cost a million dollars to attend.
He is almost universally regarded as a great AD by everyone except for our fan base. I have no personal feelings or affiliations toward the man, but come on.
It's not his fault that Bobby Petrino decided to get himself fired. The Smiley year was an utter disaster, but most transition years like that are. Bielema was a good hire, but sometimes things don't work out.
I think we need to be able to acknowledge that the football program isn't Bama, but we're not Vandy, either.

with the multitudes of associate & assistant ad's under him. what does he actually do on the daily basis? meeting with chancellor, bot on occasion, then what?
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

HogFaninMemphis

Quote from: Kevin on September 28, 2017, 09:33:06 am
with the multitudes of associate & assistant ad's under him. what does he actually do on the daily basis? meeting with chancellor, bot on occasion, then what?
That's his job. His job isn't to win football games. He's more or less the CEO (not technically but let's be real). He's supposed to shake hands, kiss babies, and create a brand. I for one am not happy with the buyout for Bielema, but you can't just take a couple of isolated complaints and light your torches.
JFB, may he rest in peace, was a great football coach, but his AD record was more spotty. After the Richardson scandal, he was viewed by the world as a racist (right or not is a different thread).
Jeff Long came in, righted the ship, and has carried Arkansas through this new era of high-dollar athletics. All those calling for him to jump at potential AD jobs that may come up in light of the basketball scandal may want to ask yourselves why schools like Louisville would want him.

hogfan98

He's the CEO of a 100mm/year company.  Common sense says he has a full plate of things to do every day beyond chatting it up with the Chancellor/BOT.

PonderinHog

The rest of the time he spends working on his Kermit imitation.

Pig in the Pokey

Idiots just keep pretending we havent won ten or eleven games 3 times in the last decade.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

hoghiker

Quote from: grayhawg on September 28, 2017, 09:49:43 am
Somebody will make room for this guy.

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-football/fbi-may-cleared-path-bobby-petrino-return-sec/
I'd say it's likely. I'd bet my house it won't be us. Aside from the reality of a remarriage with Arkansas he'd step right into an immediate divided fan base. I won't say never.......like hades I won't. Never gonna happen even with a new AD.

longpig

Quote from: hoghiker on September 28, 2017, 08:48:51 am

Got great facilities, Fayetteville is less sleazy than most college towns.  The roster is loaded with talent. Arkansas pays better than 95% of other D1 programs.  We're a  big fish.  There's a lot of HCs out there who look at Bielema's embarrassing losses and immediately think they could have won an average of 8 or 9 games a season the time he's been here.  He could have played the hand that was dealt him year one and gone bowling.
Don't be scared, be smart.

hogcard1964

January 1, 2018 is his shelf life if no bowl.

1highhog

Quote from: longpig on September 28, 2017, 11:35:22 am
Got great facilities, Fayetteville is less sleazy than most college towns.  The roster is loaded with talent. Arkansas pays better than 95% of other D1 programs.  We're a  big fish.  There's a lot of HCs out there who look at Bielema's embarrassing losses and immediately think they could have won an average of 8 or 9 games a season the time he's been here.  He could have played the hand that was dealt him year one and gone bowling.

There's talent on the roster but a roster loaded with talent?  I would disagree with our roster being loaded with talent, I think we have talent at some positions but at some positions we are sorely lacking still.  We haven't had a great linebacker corp since the days of Hatfield IMO and we're still lacking Olineman in year 5 of the CBB experiment, a position that was supposed to be a strength under his brand of coaching.  Also, on the defensive side of the ball is our line, we need more help as well. 

razorbackfaninar

Quote from: HogFaninMemphis on September 28, 2017, 09:31:33 am

I have never seen a fan-base complain so much about getting a stadium upgrade.  I also agree that at the time Long hired Bielema, it looked like a great hire.  The national media couldn't believe he pulled it off. It hasn't panned out.  The extension that everyone says should get Jeff Long fired was given in  2015 when it looked like for all the world that things were on the upswing.  It looks bad now, but at the time It didn't seem bad.  I think  my one critique of Jeff Long is that most of his ideas sound good upfront but in the long run they don't pan out.  I don't know what that says exactly but he has to bear the responsibility of that.  Maybe he is really good at selling ideas that don't pan out?  Brett Bielema looked like a good hire at the time, hasn't panned out.  John L. Smith hire made sense at the time, didn't pan out.  The massive buy out looked fine at the time.  Now not so much. I still think that whatever else happens Jeff Long will leave the university better off overall than when he got there.  In 2008 our total revenue was almost 66 million. last year it was 124 million.  That is almost double what it was when he got here our revenue after expenses in 2016 was 19,347,466.  In 2008 when he got here it was 1,542,417.  People are mad that we aren't winning and I understand that but Jeff Long is not a bad AD.

code red

"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

code red

"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

code red

Quote from: longpig on September 28, 2017, 11:35:22 am
I'd agree with everything except the talent...it ain't on the hill.

GalaHawg

Unless he loses to one of the cupcakes or some inappropriate stuff surfaces, he will not be fired this year --- but he will be on an extremely short leash next year to win a minimum of 8 or 9. To do so, he will need to upgrade the O-line coaching and recruitment.

Martygit

What about the premise of the opinion??  That Arkansas has no realistic chance to contend in the SEC, they know it and, therefore, there's no point in paying BB a bunch to get rid of him because no matter who you get as a replacement, it's not going to make any difference.

"If Arkansas truly believed it could contend, Bielema would be a logical choice (to be fired). At some point, reality has to kick in."
RIP OTR, REV

GoHogs1091

At least Sumlin and Jones (the most chance with those 2)

There is a chance that Malzahn will.

Odom possibly could.

Just a lot of head coaching mediocrity currently in the SEC.

Sumlin, Jones and Luke are likely all gone after the year. Odom too if they don't win at least 4. I think the buyout saves BB.

HeathWimp

Quote from: MartinGit on September 28, 2017, 08:33:23 am
https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-football/who-will-be-first-sec-coach-fired-this-season/

"If Arkansas truly believed it could contend, Bielema would be a logical choice. At some point, reality has to kick in. I think the reality of Arkansas’ ceiling will save Bielema this season, but I don’t see a whole lot behind Austin Allen to save him next year. On merit alone, he hasn’t done enough to continue, but what coach is bringing a Playoff push to Fayetteville? There are 30 Power 5 schools just like Arkansas. You can waste a lot of money going through head coaches and still end up on the same floor."

The truth hurts.  The only thing I'd add is we could go the "Kansas" route and get a guy no one has every heard of, and pay him 1 mil/year to win the same number of games as Bret, but for 1/4 the cost.
11/19/2023:  Keeping my original semi-prophetic, apocalyptic signature below.  We continue to regret passing on Norvell, who is in the running for the Playoffs.  We continue regret passing on Kiffin, who is eyeing a New Years 6 game.  Heck, we regret passing on Drinkwitz (he may be a dork, but he will have his team in a New Years 6 game after they truck us on Black Friday).

Meanwhile, Sam is drinking Pittman, wondering if he has the leverage to re-hire Enos, Sexton is doing the triple Lindy into his Olympic-size pool full of cash, and thousands of hog fans are planning to dress up as empty seats for next year's Halloween game.

11/25/2018:  My original "Chad Morris" signature is below.  I'm modifying my view as follows:  We will continue to regret passing on Norvell and Kiffin.   After 3 years, when Morris is 10-26, we are going to be saying "What were we thinking?  Even Bert was better than this!"

PorkSoda

Quote from: jkstock04 on September 28, 2017, 08:55:26 am
I don't think we will fire him the conventional way and pay him off the full amount. But I do think if we only manage 3-5 wins somehow or another he will step down/take another job.
um, why would he agree to pay us 4 million to leave when the alternative is us paying him 11 million to leave?

not very good financial sense.

The only way that would happen is if he got hired away, and nobody is going to try to steal a coach that is 10-30 or whatever his conference record will be.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

Martygit

Quote from: HeathWimp on September 28, 2017, 05:12:50 pm
The truth hurts.  The only thing I'd add is we could go the "Kansas" route and get a guy no one has every heard of, and pay him 1 mil/year to win the same number of games as Bret, but for 1/4 the cost.

There seems to be a common thread of opinion regarding Arkansas' chances with or without BB

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/arkansas-football/college-football-insider-brett-mcmurphy-weighs-bret-bielemas-future-arkansas/
RIP OTR, REV

Swestwill66

Why would one of the hot names in coaching, Brohm for example, come to Arkansas with the challenges that exist here? aTm, Tennessee,  or Auburn are team's ready to compete for SEC, talent wise, now.

PorkSoda

that's where I'm at.  rotate cheap young coaches every 3-4 years til you catch lightning, then ride it for all its worth.
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

hog911

Quote from: Athog on September 28, 2017, 08:45:24 am
He will not be fired this year!
He won't be fired next year either, maybe the year after!

GoHogs1091

Quote from: Swestwill66 on September 28, 2017, 05:38:11 pm
Why would one of the hot names in coaching, Brohm for example, come to Arkansas with the challenges that exist here? aTm, Tennessee,  or Auburn are team's ready to compete for SEC, talent wise, now.

I wouldn't be surprised if Brohm goes to Auburn.

Regarding us, it could be a list of Skip Holtz, Paul Rhoads, Jim Grobe, and Rick Stockstill.

Tusks

Quote from: PorkSoda on September 28, 2017, 05:45:24 pm
that's where I'm at.  rotate cheap young coaches every 3-4 years til you catch lightning, then ride it for all its worth.

Norvell
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

Martygit

I love(d) Frank Broyles - and, at the time, I think joining the SEC made sense and we've made a bunch of money being in that conference - however, we don't belong in the SEC - we belong in the Big 10 or 12 or whatever those conferences are - we would have success there and actually be able to compete for conference and national championships - but, oh well.............
RIP OTR, REV

PorkSoda

Quote from: tusked on September 28, 2017, 06:40:01 pm
Norvell
Mike Norvell

1.86 million? played at UCA, went 8-5 last as a first year HC?

sold

unless you are referring to Jay Norvell who is 0-4 at Nevada right now.  then not sold.

TNRazorbacker

Sumlin, possibly Butch Jones. Sumlin has the worst team he's fielded since he's been here and the least rope.  The hammer is cocked there. Don't see him making it. 

Butch Jones could very well be gone too. I live in TN and the love is gone. Despite the recent drought TN still expects a winner.

I'd put BB at #3 most likely but I don't see that happening this year barring a loss to NMS or C. Carolina. Even with a losing season otherwise, which I think is highly likely at this point, the buyout and Longs affection keeps him safe. I do think there's an outside chance he sees the writing and leaves on his own though.

TNRazorbacker

Quote from: MartinGit on September 28, 2017, 06:43:38 pm
I love(d) Frank Broyles - and, at the time, I think joining the SEC made sense and we've made a bunch of money being in that conference - however, we don't belong in the SEC - we belong in the Big 10 or 12 or whatever those conferences are - we would have success there and actually be able to compete for conference and national championships - but, oh well.............

I've always said this depends on your perspective. As a fan the Big12 would be better. We'd compete better and be in a better position to win championships.

Moving to the SEC was never about winning though. Broyles is on record saying he never expected AR to seriously compete with the SEC elite. The move was about money, and we are better off financially as an SEC doormat than we are as a Big12 contender.

jbcarol

Wes Rucker‏Verified account @wesrucker247 18s18 seconds ago

I can't think of the last time I saw Tennessee football look this bad in two consecutive games. And I've seen a lot of BS football.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net