Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

owh owh owh wooo pig sooie. this needs to stop now!

Started by aredwolfrazorback, February 04, 2009, 05:19:27 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

aredwolfrazorback

I am a student here. I remember the 94 championship game like it was yesterday and I was in the fourth grade. I go to every game, read this forum, and today I decided to make an account because this needs to be addressed.

For some reason, some students have begun to make a wolf sound like owh owhhh (sp?) right before the woooo pig sooie.

I noticed it during the beginning of the football season, but now more and more people are doing it because either: (A) they think its cute or (B) they do not know any better.

Yes I graduated from ASU, but I came here to be a Razorback. I'll go back to Jonesboro if I want to do a wolf call.

Maybe I am overreacting, but if more and more people keep doing this the new students that come in every year are going to think that that is acceptable and its how you are supposed to call the hogs.

I know I am just one man and I cannot do anything except whine about this to you on these boards.

But if you ask me, some traditions need to be preserved.

Thanks for the opportunity to vent.

Wooooooooo Pig Sooie!
Go Hogs.
With all the beers and all the cheers, I'm a hog fan for the rest of my years.

UA 2010
ASU 2008

donewithdale

Quote from: aredwolfrazorback on February 04, 2009, 05:19:27 pm
I am a student here. I remember the 94 championship game like it was yesterday and I was in the fourth grade. I go to every game, read this forum, and today I decided to make an account because this needs to be addressed.

For some reason, some students have begun to make a wolf sound like owh owhhh (sp?) right before the woooo pig sooie.

I noticed it during the beginning of the football season, but now more and more people are doing it because either: (A) they think its cute or (B) they do not know any better.

Yes I graduated from ASU, but I came here to be a Razorback. I'll go back to Jonesboro if I want to do a wolf call.

Maybe I am overreacting, but if more and more people keep doing this the new students that come in every year are going to think that that is acceptable and its how you are supposed to call the hogs.

I know I am just one man and I cannot do anything except whine about this to you on these boards.

Wooooooooo Pig Sooie!
Go Hogs.

Great observation.  That is very annoying.  But what do you expect out of a group that wants our football team to start wearing black jerseys. 

MF

Quote from: donewithdale on February 04, 2009, 05:23:44 pm
Great observation.  That is very annoying.  But what do you expect out of a group that wants our football team to start wearing black jerseys. 

Good point.  I don't care for it either. 
"Public sentiment is everything. With public sentiment, nothing can fail; without it nothing can succeed." ~ Abraham Lincoln

cdclark09

Quote from: aredwolfrazorback on February 04, 2009, 05:19:27 pm

Wooooooooo Pig Sooie!
Go Hogs.

This isn't a new thing... that sound has been going on since at least 2002 when I started at UA.  I think it goes back even further.  It's dumb but I think its here to stay.  I've even seen players on the football team do it.

ThisTeetsTaken

Quote from: donewithdale on February 04, 2009, 05:23:44 pm
Houston Nutt didn't want black jerseys either.
***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

donewithdale

Quote from: ThisTeetsTaken on February 04, 2009, 05:44:42 pm
Houston Nutt didn't want black jerseys either.

After 11+ years, you may have found something he did right.

ThisTeetsTaken

***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

Pigmund Freud

I agree. I hate it. It adds nothing to the Hog Call.

RZRBack_FAN

You can thank bubbahog for that! He thinks it's cute!!

I'm glad the university has done their best to shut him up!!

no3putts

man I have been thinking the same thing. Where did it start. Its like it gets more pronounced every year. The call did not use to sound that way. What's next a oink oink at the end

NMMIHog

When they call the hogs on the Razorback Marching Band CD I bought 6 years ago it is there as well. Seems to me that possibly the spirit groups may have got it started.

ke2743

Quote from: NMMIHog on February 04, 2009, 07:34:51 pm
When they call the hogs on the Razorback Marching Band CD I bought 6 years ago it is there as well. Seems to me that possibly the spirit groups may have got it started.

I remember hearing some cheerleaders do it back during the '02 and '03 seasons. 

aredwolfrazorback

my humble opinion is that it may have started because some people couldn't hit the high pitch of the woooo.

if you kind of drop your voice a little its easy to find that little niche where you can hit a higher note.

and it just went on from there...

oh well
With all the beers and all the cheers, I'm a hog fan for the rest of my years.

UA 2010
ASU 2008

gbaurnett

cdclark09

Quote from: ImHogginIt on February 05, 2009, 09:12:52 am
Threaten to raise tuition another 20% unless they stop and do it right  :D
Heck I think that's what they raise tuition every year anyway.

MJ4H

It was being done at least as far back as 96 or so.  I vividly remember some band members (definitely a select few) doing it then when I was in the group.

Doyle Hograves

***Proud Champion of the Tavern's March Maddest 2021 Tournament***

Quote from: Throwback1 on May 07, 2008, 02:11:15 pm
topic says "President"..I can assure you he knew what he was typing.

BigHog396

It started around 94/95.  I was a freshman our NC year, and it seems like it started some time in the middle of that year.

Ash

I've heard it from the spirit groups. It is annoying and out of place.

HogCard

I totally agree with everyone, it is gay and should stop.  I will add one more.

Our cheer is Wooooo Pig Sooie.  It is not ahewwwwww  pig sooie.  Hard to do with letters but the band and others do not even pronounce woo anymore, it is almost like ewww with a very pronounced high pitched squeak at the beginning.  Why can't we just leave traditions alone and say Woooo Pig Sooie with no bark in between and no squeak in Wooo.

hillhog

I agree, it is lame. I would vote that anyone that does that stupid call be banned from attending games in person then they could show their ignorance and do the sick dog yowll in front of their tv. Please get rid of it.

trippigs

I don't like it either and tell folks whenever the proper opportunity comes up.