Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

U of A color analyst on radio broadcasts

Started by 5ACentral, February 19, 2018, 12:25:25 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

5ACentral

Does anyone else have some reservations about Coach Zimmerman and how he interrupts our main announcer covering the radio broadcasts?
I know as an assistant coach that you have to yell or talk loud and fast to get your thoughts across. But, I have turned off the radio a few times when our color analyst "accidently" butts in so many times each game. And his talking is much louder and higher pitched than our main announcer. Instead of a brief, concise viewpoint when Chuck Barrett has a "silent moment", Coach Z interjects so much personal impressions and often with high pitch, loud words at a rapid rate which makes it hard to understand. I know of his background in coaching, but that does not always transpose to being a more calm, unbiased sidekick to the main announcer. Lower voice, slower speech and less self opinions would be appreciated from this radio listener. I'll take Scotty Thurmon's type delivery but do understand Mike's reason to replace Coach Z who now has his plate full with his new job description, and being added as color analysis might be a bit much to add, with all the travel involved. Coach Z seems like a nice guy and a good assistant coach with an "in the face" style which the Razorbacks need.. like in the Nolan Richardson era. Just my thoughts and wonder if others have the same feeling and turn off the radio broadcasts? Thanks for reading and any different feeling you may have.

BannerMountainMan

"Michael Qualls with the dunk at the buzzer, it goes and Arkansas wins, it goes and Arkansas wins"

Next1_04

Quote from: 5ACentral on February 19, 2018, 12:25:25 pm
Does anyone else have some reservations about Coach Zimmerman and how he interrupts our main announcer covering the radio broadcasts?
I know as an assistant coach that you have to yell or talk loud and fast to get your thoughts across. But, I have turned off the radio a few times when our color analyst "accidently" butts in so many times each game. And his talking is much louder and higher pitched than our main announcer. Instead of a brief, concise viewpoint when Chuck Barrett has a "silent moment", Coach Z interjects so much personal impressions and often with high pitch, loud words at a rapid rate which makes it hard to understand. I know of his background in coaching, but that does not always transpose to being a more calm, unbiased sidekick to the main announcer. Lower voice, slower speech and less self opinions would be appreciated from this radio listener. I'll take Scotty Thurmon's type delivery but do understand Mike's reason to replace Coach Z who now has his plate full with his new job description, and being added as color analysis might be a bit much to add, with all the travel involved. Coach Z seems like a nice guy and a good assistant coach with an "in the face" style which the Razorbacks need.. like in the Nolan Richardson era. Just my thoughts and wonder if others have the same feeling and turn off the radio broadcasts? Thanks for reading and any different feeling you may have.

Nope. He's the reason I even listen to the games on the radio when I can't watch.

5ACentral

Quote from: Next1_04 on February 19, 2018, 12:36:31 pm
Nope. He's the reason I even listen to the games on the radio when I can't watch.
Thanks.. Appreciate your opinion and I am sure others agree. I am 78 years old, an old timer donor, but listening to high pitched and loud banter gets lost in my interpretation of things. TU again.

Next1_04

Quote from: 5ACentral on February 19, 2018, 12:41:01 pm
Thanks.. Appreciate your opinion and I am sure others agree. I am 78 years old, an old timer donor, but listening to high pitched and loud banter gets lost in my interpretation of things. TU again.

You're welcome, Sir.

Pancetta

I never listen to the broadcasts unless its on ESPNU which I don't get.  But I love to hear audio clips of him doing his thing after every game. 
I think he's actually got a great chance to be our color guy for a very long time because he's got his own schtick and brand.  Most Razorback listeners love his homer style and I bet if Arkansas can get in big games that some TV broadcasts are going to play his clips for the amusement of the national audience.  Some of those national fans will think he's a hick and some will say, how come our announcers aren't more homers. 
In a way it's like a homer Dickey V or Jim Ross or something like that where he makes the suckiest of suck games interesting because he gets as frustrated and wound up announcing as the fans do listening. 
I hope he doesn't change a thing. 
Jump Ball / Re: Time to hit the panic button?
January 06, 2022, 05:32:59 pm
Nah. Every single transfer can score. The shots will come once the pecking order gets sorted out.
Pancetta

HawgTrough

something happened early in the aTm game where the officials were taking some time. They zoomed in on Coach Anderson and in the background it looked like Z was arguing with an official. Ha!
WPS

hogsanity

People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

raz1965

The times I have listened to the radio broadcast coach z  sounded fine, with the exception of him having a negative outlook at times. He loves his team.

5ACentral

Quote from: HawgTrough on February 19, 2018, 12:43:17 pm
something happened early in the aTm game where the officials were taking some time. They zoomed in on Coach Anderson and in the background it looked like Z was arguing with an official. Ha!
He does that a lot. My fear is that if a ref gets mad and gets "involved with a Homer announcer", we might see more foul called on us. I can understand that it's good to be a "homer" announcer and take the stance of a hard nosed fan, but it's just the loudness and rapid fire words that get me confused at times. The butting in on Chuck Barrett is something he has to work on, and at times I can hear some slight frustration in Chuck's voice as he starts or continues his game description delivery. I did some radio announcing years ago and know that it requires concentration on what you are doing ... Interruptions of "train of thought" is not good.  So, I agree with you on his arguing with the refs and THAT is Mike Anderson's job to do.

Letsroll1200

I love the insight he provides about the team. I appreciate his passion and at times frustration about the team. Coach Z is a stand up guy and he makes the program better. He's alot better than he was ladt season.

5ACentral

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on February 19, 2018, 12:56:19 pm
I love the insight he provides about the team. I appreciate his passion and at times frustration about the team. Coach Z is a stand up guy and he makes the program better. He's alot better than he was ladt season.
I thought he was OK last year. This year he just seems to overshoot his job in his color analyst roll. There are plenty of time outs and idle times for him to express his opinions. I just think personally that Chuck B might want to avoid disruptions during his announcing. Note that there is usually ONE person between Chuck and Coach Z at all times! LOL   Hmmm......

HawgTrough

Quote from: 5ACentral on February 19, 2018, 12:54:51 pm
He does that a lot. My fear is that if a ref gets mad and gets "involved with a Homer announcer", we might see more foul called on us. I can understand that it's good to be a "homer" announcer and take the stance of a hard nosed fan, but it's just the loudness and rapid fire words that get me confused at times. The butting in on Chuck Barrett is something he has to work on, and at times I can hear some slight frustration in Chuck's voice as he starts or continues his game description delivery. I did some radio announcing years ago and know that it requires concentration on what you are doing ... Interruptions of "train of thought" is not good.  So, I agree with you on his arguing with the refs and THAT is Mike Anderson's job to do.

I'm certain it agitates the refs and that doesn't help anything
WPS

hogmolar

Too me Chuck gets more excited when the opposing team does something good than we we do.  I like the excitement from Coach Z. 

jethro

Announcers should not be engaging Referees.  Period.  It is not an announcer's job to argue a call, tell a ref he is wrong , etc.  At the time he is on the air, he is an announcer not a coach or official of the team.
Registered in 2003.

Least post per day average on this board.

whippersnapper

Like listening to Coach Zimmerman. He does get to talking too much but at least its about us and the game. Loved what he had to say in both A&M games about their big not "fouling"
Unlike Bill Walton when does games. So glad he is a PAC 12 guy.

Next1_04

Nothing against Chuck he just seems to be behind. "Macon takes a 3 looks to be off the mark Texas A&M lays it in". Did I miss something in between there or?

5ACentral

Quote from: whippersnapper on February 19, 2018, 01:20:39 pm
Like listening to Coach Zimmerman. He does get to talking too much but at least its about us and the game. Loved what he had to say in both A&M games about their big not "fouling"
Unlike Bill Walton when does games. So glad he is a PAC 12 guy.
Agree on Bill Walton.. Horrible, unconcerned, unexcited and discusses things from YEARS ago and not the flow of the game before his eyes that day.

5ACentral

Quote from: Next1_04 on February 19, 2018, 01:27:20 pm
Nothing against Chuck he just seems to be behind. "Macon takes a 3 looks to be off the mark Texas A&M lays it in". Did I miss something in between there or?
He had to take a quick sip of Coke I guess. Have noted that sometimes but fortunately not the majority of time . That is perhaps when the color guy needs to step in briefly. The "color" guy is to step in at the right time with pertinent information or when asked his opinion from the main announcer... He augments the main guy Chuck who has been behind the mike for many years, football included too.  I do like Coach Z's excitement and telling it "like it is" and seldom be wrong. He sees things that fans don't always see. His is trained to be an assistant coach and followed Coach Anderson to UAB AND Missouri, so Mike liked him for some reasons for sure.

I wish Coach Z was STILL on the bench and instilling his energy into some of our lax attitude current players who need some fire in their desire to win. The next 4 games are crucial, starting tomorrow against KY. I remember Z's high school coaching days and winning teams, including at Dardanelle.  Went to a couple of games back them, decades ago!  TU to all Hogville fans for giving your opinions.. Just a bit less yelling and rapid loud talk will keep me tuned in on the broadcasts.. Going to doctor now to get my hearing aid tuned up for tomorrow's game! LOL

Next1_04

Quote from: 5ACentral on February 19, 2018, 01:53:54 pm
Going to doctor now to get my hearing aid tuned up for tomorrow's game! LOL

Go get it turned up and go to the game! Ill live vicariously through you :D

hogsanity

Quote from: 5ACentral on February 19, 2018, 01:33:46 pm
Agree on Bill Walton.. Horrible, unconcerned, unexcited and discusses things from YEARS ago and not the flow of the game before his eyes that day.

Walton is great. I do not need Walton to tell me what just happened, I have eyes and a 60 inch 4k tv. Radio is different, if I am listening to the radio it means I can not see the game for some reason, and I need to know what is going on. Walton? I can watch UCLA/Oregon and listen to him talk about the Grateful Dead, or Volcanos, or whatever tangent he might drift off on.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

ShadowHawg

I don't watch sports to hear a documentary written and narrated by a geriatric wasteoid.

Dr. Starcs

Darren DeLoach

Quote from: hogsanity on February 19, 2018, 03:06:23 pm
Walton is great. I do not need Walton to tell me what just happened, I have eyes and a 60 inch 4k tv. Radio is different, if I am listening to the radio it means I can not see the game for some reason, and I need to know what is going on. Walton? I can watch UCLA/Oregon and listen to him talk about the Grateful Dead, or Volcanos, or whatever tangent he might drift off on.

He is fine if it isn't an Arkansas game. He is a self-appointed genius that loves to hear his own voice. He was exploring the virtues of the various types of cactus as food choices while  USC converted a last minute basket to win a game. Never acknowledged what had just transpired on the court. Terrible.
ο λογος υμων παντοτε εν χαριτι αλατι ηρτυμενος ειδεναι πως δει υμας ενι εκαστω αποκρινεσθαι

bigchad

Zimmerman is terrible. I will not even listen to the games when I am driving. It is his voice. I hope they get rid of him soon.

Darren DeLoach

Quote from: bigchad on February 19, 2018, 06:47:44 pm
Zimmerman is terrible. I will not even listen to the games when I am driving. It is his voice. I hope they get rid of him soon.

Sometimes it's not about having a golden baritone. Sometimes just knowing what the fan base at large wants to hear coupled with passion and homerism.

Or have you never heard Johnny Most?

https://youtu.be/NTfwcotRTg0
ο λογος υμων παντοτε εν χαριτι αλατι ηρτυμενος ειδεναι πως δει υμας ενι εκαστω αποκρινεσθαι

NationalChamps2017

This conversation again? Coach Z is your classic homer announcer, and if you don't like it, might need to check your fan card. We true fans don't want fancy stats and figures, we want to know that they guy on the mic is as pissed off as I am about the way certain events are transpiring, but he get to say everything that I want to say but can't. For this guys opinion, I think he's great!

Next1_04

Quote from: NationalChamps2017 on February 19, 2018, 10:25:35 pm
This conversation again? Coach Z is your classic homer announcer, and if you don't like it, might need to check your fan card. We true fans don't want fancy stats and figures, we want to know that they guy on the mic is as pissed off as I am about the way certain events are transpiring, but he get to say everything that I want to say but can't. For this guys opinion, I think he's great!

I say we have a winner. You can swing by the front desk and pick up your prize!

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: 5ACentral on February 19, 2018, 12:54:51 pm
If that doesn't tell you that refs have too much influence over the outcome of a game then I don't know what will. Youre worried that the refs could potentially react to a color commentator and call more fouls on our team? The fact that that could happen is concerning. The game is played on the court, not the sidelines/stands
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

babo1

Piggage

Quote from: raz1965 on February 19, 2018, 12:51:08 pm
The times I have listened to the radio broadcast coach z  sounded fine, with the exception of him having a negative outlook at timesALL the time.

FIFY. This is what bugs me about him. He says what a fan would say and seems not to remember that he's on radio and might mislead a listener who can't see the game. I listened to much of the A&M game on the radio. If you had just tuned in and heard some of his comments, you'd have thought the Hogs were in the midst of a blowout loss. I think Chuck got tired of correcting him ...

MZ: We gotta quit foulin'. You can't foul every possession and think you're gonna beat the #21 team in the country. It's not gonna happen.
Chuck: Still, the Hogs have a 14 point lead. They've been tenacious on defense all game, and it's paying off.

MZ: We missed two free throws, and they hit a 3 pointer. Every time you miss two free throws, the other team hits a 3 pointer. That happens every time in basketball.
Chuck: Still, the Hogs have a 16 point lead.

MZ: Tyler Davis is goin' back to the foul line. He's a great scorer and rebounder, and he has NO FOULS. (Meaning it annoys me that he hasn't been called for more fouls.)
Factually inaccurate statement that Chuck didn't bother to correct, but Davis had two fouls against him at the time.

MZ: THE CLOCK'S NOT MOVIN'!!!!! (Meaning it's not moving fast enough for Hog fans.)
Factually inaccurate statement, but Chuck didn't bother to correct it.

lynbug

I love the optics of Scotty on the bench (and Nolan in the stands). But Coach Z shows more in game enthusiasm with his demotion than Scotty does with his promotion.  I'm just referring to in game audio and video.   Don't know how involved Scotty gets in practice or recruiting.  JMO

5ACentral

Quote from: Piggage on February 20, 2018, 09:00:06 am
FIFY. This is what bugs me about him. He says what a fan would say and seems not to remember that he's on radio and might mislead a listener who can't see the game. I listened to much of the A&M game on the radio. If you had just tuned in and heard some of his comments, you'd have thought the Hogs were in the midst of a blowout loss. I think Chuck got tired of correcting him ...

MZ: We gotta quit foulin'. You can't foul every possession and think you're gonna beat the #21 team in the country. It's not gonna happen.
Chuck: Still, the Hogs have a 14 point lead. They've been tenacious on defense all game, and it's paying off.

MZ: We missed two free throws, and they hit a 3 pointer. Every time you miss two free throws, the other team hits a 3 pointer. That happens every time in basketball.

MZ: Tyler Davis is goin' back to the foul line. He's a great scorer and rebounder, and he has NO FOULS. (Meaning it annoys me that he hasn't been called for more fouls.)
Factually inaccurate statement that Chuck didn't bother to correct, but Davis had two fouls against him at the time.

MZ: THE CLOCK'S NOT MOVIN'!!!!! (Meaning it's not moving fast enough for Hog fans.)
Great examples of the "too quick to talk" on goings on in the game. Wrong data, etc. I am sure Chuck is a little upset about the change from last year to now as to how MZ intervenes as a color analyst/commentator. I like MZs intensity and insight during a game, but leave some of the yelling and quick talking and interruptions off the microphone! When away from the actual game commentary, his advertisement breaks are slower and less gravely voiced. It remains to be seen who will be at the announcers desk next year. MZ has enough "other" duties in his new job within the athletic department and away from the assistant coach duties. Anyway, good example of exactly what was said during the game during the heat of battle.. SLOW down Matt, have the audio guy turn down your mike gain and put more bass in the audio... then think just a second or two before making "homer" statements that might not be true or accurate. Look at your stat sheet more accurately, etc...

Smalltownhog95

Im not a Zimmerman fan but I also dont mind Chuck so what do i know? ::)
Wait a minute this isn't chinese checkers.. This isn't even regular checkers!

5ACentral

Well it's time to get to Walton Arena in person for a good game. This time I can SEE the game and decide what I think I saw rather than listen to the MZ broadcast antics and what HE saw. I will make an effort to go down at half time and talk to him about the old days as a Dardanelle HS coach. At least with the crowd noise of 20,000 fans I won't be listening to one person's high pitched, loud voice relaying to me what I can see and hear for myself... ;D 

Hope the Hogs hold together. THIS game will determine if we get into the playoff mix regardless where we end up in the SEC tournament... I just got tickets for the SEC bash next month. Can't wait.  Seniors, NOW is the time to rise to the occasion and play defense and hit shots in the lane.  :-\
5ACentral

AlmaHog2011

AlmaHog2011

Quote from: Piggage on February 20, 2018, 09:00:06 am

On the fouls on Davis if you watched the game? He was holding and pushing Gafford right in front of the official and no call. That is probably what Zimmerman was saying. Chuck doesn't have a clue about basketball.

hogsmash12

Quote from: 5ACentral on February 19, 2018, 12:25:25 pm

Nope. I love his enthusiasm and personality, which is severely lacking with today's "professional" broadcasters trying to maintain their "journalistic integrity".  I want to hear a homer.  He has good insight too. I hope he's around for a long time!