Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What is our path going forward

Started by shoatehawg, November 09, 2017, 07:04:15 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

shoatehawg

Our program I believe is at a turning point.  As a fan base we will have a role to play in how we move forward.  But as fans we need to know our role.  I start here because I know that Bert's time is over either this year or next.  It is probably too much to ask of us as fans to be objective as to the path forward because we are always "fighting the last wars' battles".  It is for this reason that I would encourage us to discuss first what is our definition of a winning program at Arkansas.  I say this because I have modified my expectations from the time I watched the big shootout as a high school senior.  If we can't begin the process of reaching a consensus on this issue we will continue to be hopelessly fragmented and thus be relegated to nothing more than the mob rooting for our particular favorite in the arena at the forum in Rome.

So I have posed the initial question.  My answer is within three years to be an 8 win team that is in the picture in November as it relates to the SEC West race.  Our goals will dictate our decision as to who we hand this program to going forward.  So lets begin the the discussion.

hog of steele

Quote from: shoatehawg on November 09, 2017, 07:04:15 pm
Our program I believe is at a turning point.  As a fan base we will have a role to play in how we move forward.  But as fans we need to know our role.  I start here because I know that Bert's time is over either this year or next.  It is probably too much to ask of us as fans to be objective as to the path forward because we are always "fighting the last wars' battles".  It is for this reason that I would encourage us to discuss first what is our definition of a winning program at Arkansas.  I say this because I have modified my expectations from the time I watched the big shootout as a high school senior.  If we can't begin the process of reaching a consensus on this issue we will continue to be hopelessly fragmented and thus be relegated to nothing more than the mob rooting for our particular favorite in the arena at the forum in Rome.

So I have posed the initial question.  My answer is within three years to be an 8 win team that is in the picture in November as it relates to the SEC West race.  Our goals will dictate our decision as to who we hand this program to going forward.  So lets begin the the discussion.

8 win teams aren't in the picture in November. Especially since we play the higher teams before that.

If our measuring stick is in the picture for the west most years, we will have to have more success than our program has had in 50 years.

Rudy Baylor

Well, there was a thread earlier that was defending Bob Costas declaring war on the existence of football altogether

And anyone who disagreed was "an alt"

So there's that

From Tusk Till Dawn

Great question.  Most of the time it seems people say 8-9 wins is the benchmark and then hearken back to the glory days of Petrino.  And they should, cause thats the only days it happened more than two years in a row since joining the SEC.  And outside of petrino weve only had back to back 8 win seasons 3 times... 

So if we got a new coach, likely up and comer and his first big job, complete turnover in staff, likely a change in offensive philosophy, perhaps D too.  I wouldnt have any expectations higher than 6 (reg season) through year 2.  Year 3 would expect 7-8.  And if we could sustain 8 wins years 3, 4, and 5, it would only be the second time in the SEC era that has happened.  But we would probably fire him for not winning the "big games".

Short answer, be competitive, win 7 reg season, add a bowl win and im happy.  Anything better is just gravy.

Hogvillage Idiot

A priority must be placed on conference wins.  I hear way to much about 8 wins, 9 wins, or 10 wins.  It matters where those wins come from and more of those wins need to come from conference games.
"Winning is like shaving - do it every day or you wind up looking like a bum."

Jack Kemp

jgphillips3

Hire a halfway decent coach and we will win 7 or 8 next year in our sleep.  A good coach will probably take about 3 years to build up a head of steam to threaten double digit wins, but any of the coaches being bandied about will win the games we should and make us competitive enough to have a shot at some upsets even in his first couple of years.  It's that step to double digit wins and being "good enough" to challenge the big dogs every few years that will be the trick.  Bielema was just an underachieving failure.  You can tell by how poorly coached in so many areas this team is, with only a few areas coached well, that his lack of ability to manage has let this team disintegrate.  It will stabilize immediately and then get better by year 3.

The NewEra

Quote from: jgphillips3 on November 09, 2017, 09:30:07 pm
Hire a halfway decent coach and we will win 7 or 8 next year in our sleep.  A good coach will probably take about 3 years to build up a head of steam to threaten double digit wins, but any of the coaches being bandied about will win the games we should and make us competitive enough to have a shot at some upsets even in his first couple of years.  It's that step to double digit wins and being "good enough" to challenge the big dogs every few years that will be the trick.  Bielema was just an underachieving failure.  You can tell by how poorly coached in so many areas this team is, with only a few areas coached well, that his lack of ability to manage has let this team disintegrate.  It will stabilize immediately and then get better by year 3.

I agree with you. I actually think we have more talent than this team gets credit for if they are put in a position to win.