Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

SIAP: Your new lb coach appears to be...

Started by /sarcasm on, December 31, 2014, 11:55:37 am

Previous topic - Next topic

ChicoHog

Hard to judge him by Cal.   Has a Sonny Dykes team ever played defense?

The_Bionic_Pig

Interviews (plural) 1st .....same protocall as before so this may take a few days to a week.
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

pigture perfect

I'm sure Randy didn't just break the news to Bret today. Coach is really on top of things and has been really good about doing what is right by the kids, staff, school and program. If Buh is the guy, he gets the same shot from me as did Bret himself. No complaints.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

online-with-swine

Quote from: The_Bionic_Pig on December 31, 2014, 08:53:15 pm
Interviews (plural) 1st .....same protocall as before so this may take a few days to a week.

So Buh is not a done deal?  Or is he just one of many candidates?

RazorbackNation

The early word is that Coach Buh will replace Coach Shannom as LB coach. My question is, do we know for sure that this hire a done deal? If not who else could Coach B possibly reach out to? If you as a fan had a say so who would you like to see fill the vacant position?

HawgTrough

Orgeron would be the dream hire. However, Buh is obvious. I just want to know LSWho is staying away from Smith
WPS

Fayettechill14

Quote from: online-with-swine on December 31, 2014, 08:56:44 pm
So Buh is not a done deal?  Or is he just one of many candidates?

FootballScoop is known for making connections and running with them on limited evidence. Likely Buh has been informed he is a candidate if not the leader, but I bet bielema interviews 2 or 3 guys before a decision is made.

RazorbackNation

I agree 110% on Orgeron, a lot of people consider it a longshot but we all know stranger things have happened. He mentioned at a NWA Kickoff event that he is still wanting to coach and he would jump at the chance to come back into a good situation. I really wish we could land him because that would be a grand slam hire. I honestly don't see Coach Smith bailing on us. He seems to be very invested in our program, and wants to see his D flourish on the Hill.

MissippHog

What do we know about Buh?

Also, another vote for Orgeron.  Would be awesome to bring him in.

Break & Run

Buh coached under Harbaugh at Stanford.
Quote from: Michael BernalWhat's your favorite Arkansas tradition?
"I can't be cliché and say 'Call the Hogs,' but I think I have to.  That's just something that sets our university apart.  When you're out on the field and everyone in the stadium stands up, it's amazing.  Even when we're at a football or basketball game, just to see that many people around you doing the same thing for you when you're on the field or for the other guys who are playing, it's pretty awesome."

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: RazorbackNation on December 31, 2014, 11:42:09 pm
The early word is that Coach Buh will replace Coach Shannom as LB coach. My question is, do we know for sure that this hire a done deal? If not who else could Coach B possibly reach out to? If you as a fan had a say so who would you like to see fill the vacant position?

We current do not know if it's a done deal. Footballscoop is a fairly credible. But of all the Coaching Rumor sites it is the least reliable.

Robb Smith was rumored the first day after Ash left. CBB took along time to make it official and talked to other candidates.

He may do the same here. But make no mistake Buh is probably high on his list.

Hawg Life

Quote from: RazorbackNation on December 31, 2014, 11:42:09 pm

DeMontie Cross (TCU), Galen Scott, and Manny Diaz will get a look, but Buh is the favorite. Diaz may take job @ LSWHO or Washington St. though.

Deep Shoat

Buh is just the first guy contacted for an interview.  Remember, CBB likes for his coordinators to interview the candidates also, so no one has been hired yet.
All Gas, No Brakes!

rlamb

West Coast ties huh? When have we ever gotten anyone from the West Coast that mattered,either player wise or coaching wise? Willy Robinson I guess? or in Arizona either? I guess this guy can change all that though? Even though he apparently was relieved of his coaching duties at Cal last season and kicked upstairs since then?

Razor6

Quote from: Pathogen on December 31, 2014, 02:21:57 pm
Posted this in another thread (now locked), but the guy actually has a pretty good resume.  It, like in the business world, is not uncommon for someone to get promoted to the point they are in over their heads.  Muschamp is a great DC, poor head coach.  Same with Randy Shannon who was 'demoted' from HC to LB coach.  The reason Buh got promoted to co-DC (Stanford) then DC (Cal) to start with was because he was an excellent LB coach.  He was an LB coach for Harbaugh, and did so well at THAT POSITION that Harbaugh promoted him to co-DC.  He then took over at the dumpster fire known as the Cal defense, didn't do well after one year, and got demoted.  This year, Cal's defense is as bad as it was a year earlier under Buh, so the problem there obviously wasn't with Buh.  Even if it was, he was obviously a very good LB coach.

Buh was Bielema's #1 choice for LB coach when he came here, but he couldn't get him because he took the DC job at Cal.  He ended up hiring RS instead.  To put it simply, Bielema wanted him, and Harbaugh promoted him.  That's all the endorsement I need.

Nice write up
I was there when we melted the internet!  Were you?

CFB_Fanatic

Quote from: rlamb on January 01, 2015, 02:04:00 am
Hasn't this Buh genius sat in the press box for Cal/Berkley for the last 1 & 1/2 years? He was sent packing from the active coaching staff there last season. What for? He has no obvious recruiting ties to Florida or Texas so why in the hell would CBB want him?

Wonderful question

Killean

Hasn't this Buh genius sat in the press box for Cal/Berkley for the last 1 & 1/2 years? He was sent packing from the active coaching staff there last season. What for? He has no obvious recruiting ties to Florida or Texas so why in the hell would CBB want him?

Probably because he was Bret's FIRST choice for linebackers coach before he took the Cal DC job instead.
Everyone is born with the right to exist. When you become a Nazi you give up that right.

koreaben

In regards to Orgeron, wouldn't he make sense for LSU DC? 
Representing the Hogs in a VERY anti pig country.

rusvegashog

Is there a chance this guy ends up at Michigan?

Go hogs go

Ed O has never been a dc. He's coached dl except for one year I missed he coached lbs

Boarcephus

All I know is I didn't know Robb Smith from Adam when Bielema announced the hire and I have never seen a coach do as much as quickly as he did with the defense.  Gonna kick back and await the new hire and welcome him with open arms whoever he is.
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: koreaben on January 01, 2015, 04:03:09 am
In regards to Orgeron, wouldn't he make sense for LSU DC? 

Because he has never been a DC

HOGINTENNESSEE

He recruited TX at Stanford. Didn't really get anyone big. But he has some experience there.

He was able to get this is kid to commit to Wisconsin from CA. He eventually decommitted after CBB left.

http://247sports.com/Player/Tyler-Foreman-13189?Institution=432

MuskogeeHogFan

January 01, 2015, 07:30:07 am #73 Last Edit: January 01, 2015, 07:54:45 am by MuskogeeHogFan
Quote from: Fayettechill14 on December 31, 2014, 12:16:06 pm
Buh is a former Nevada DC and was LB coach at Wisconsin in 2012. Bielema tried to bring him along but got Shannon instead. He was DC at Cal in 2013, and they were horrible so he resigned. Of course, they were worse in 2014 so it may not have been his fault.

He has a lot of West recruiting ties. Interesting.

I'm sure it has been mentioned, but he didn't resign at Cal, he was reassigned and most likely because they are contractually obligated to him through the 2015 season at 500K per year.

I am also not certain about how good he may be. He inherited talented LB's at Wisconsin for the 2012 season. Compare that to Shannon who had to recruit and develop his way out of a hole at Arkansas.

Maybe this is Bielema's choice, maybe not, we will see. Personally I think that we can do better, though I am not certain who would a) be interested in joining this staff and b) would be the best fit for Robb Smith's defense.

edit: Additionally, since Buh is guaranteed 500K through 2015 at California and he probably wouldn't be paid that here as a LB'er Coach, why would he take any job right now when he can wait one more year before doing so? He might take a pay cut, maybe not.
Go Hogs Go!

HOGINTENNESSEE

hawgbawb

Based on Coach B's past hires, I will support whomever he chooses. At least for a year or two when the on-the-field results are evident.
I post, therefor I am.
John Highsmith Adams rocks.

Pig In The City

Quote from: HawgTrough on December 31, 2014, 11:45:29 pm
Orgeron would be the dream hire. However, Buh is obvious. I just want to know LSWho is staying away from Smith
Yeah that crossed my mind too

JackJohnson

Quote from: HawgTrough on December 31, 2014, 11:45:29 pm

CBBs ties to Smith go all the way back to Iowa so they are pretty tight...will most likely take a HC job or NFL DC job to pry him away...at least I hope

JackJohnson

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on January 01, 2015, 07:30:07 am

I am also not certain about how good he may be. He inherited talented LB's at Wisconsin for the 2012 season. Compare that to Shannon who had to recruit and develop his way out of a hole at Arkansas.

Maybe this is Bielema's choice, maybe not, we will see. Personally I think that we can do better

I agree.  I think he is likely a good coach, however his recruiting is a concern.  After just losing hands down our best defensive recruiter we really need to replace him with an equal or preferably better recruiter with ties to either S Fl (preferably) or in the southeast where the premium defensive talent resides

BorderPatrol

If coach wants him, the I am behind it 100%.

bp

rude1

Quote from: Boarcephus on January 01, 2015, 07:22:45 am
All I know is I didn't know Robb Smith from Adam when Bielema announced the hire and I have never seen a coach do as much as quickly as he did with the defense.  Gonna kick back and await the new hire and welcome him with open arms whoever he is.
^^^This. It is clear that CBB knows how to hire his assistants, might be his strongest asset as a head coach. After the Rob Smith hire it might be obvious that he might not need to consult Hogville on hiring for his staff. We are still here for consulting on other duties though like play calling, QB rotation, and game management, but I think he has that hiring thing down pretty well.

The_Bionic_Pig

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on January 01, 2015, 12:45:14 am
We current do not know if it's a done deal. Footballscoop is a fairly credible. But of all the Coaching Rumor sites it is the least reliable.

Robb Smith was rumored the first day after Ash left. CBB took along time to make it official and talked to other candidates.

He may do the same here. But make no mistake Buh is probably high on his list.

He is  not the favorite just the only candidate that the public is aware of...our Coordinators/ Head Coach will interview others who have just as much interest. 

It's the exact same formula used last year this time as we watched other names leak.
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

Been10Hog

Come on man! Do you think Rob Smith would have had as successful a year if he was at SMU! You have to work with what you've got! Cal didn't have much.

I don't care if all the HV posters formed a fund to bring in Dave Wanstedt, Orgeron, Monte Kiffin! I'll take whoever BB picks. If he wants this Buh from Cal THEN HE IS THE BEST FOR THE JOB! ::hornsdown:: :razorback: ::hornsdown:: :razorback:

By the way...I realize now that  ::hornsdown:: stands for Texas rushing yds (2)

Boarcephus

Quote from: rude1 on January 01, 2015, 08:41:31 am
We are still here for consulting on other duties though like play calling, QB rotation, and game management, but I think he has that hiring thing down pretty well.

LOL!!  You have no idea how much I needed to laugh and you provided me the reason!
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

Been10Hog

Quote from: Pathogen on December 31, 2014, 02:21:57 pm
Posted this in another thread (now locked), but the guy actually has a pretty good resume.  It, like in the business world, is not uncommon for someone to get promoted to the point they are in over their heads.  Muschamp is a great DC, poor head coach.  Same with Randy Shannon who was 'demoted' from HC to LB coach.  The reason Buh got promoted to co-DC (Stanford) then DC (Cal) to start with was because he was an excellent LB coach.  He was an LB coach for Harbaugh, and did so well at THAT POSITION that Harbaugh promoted him to co-DC.  He then took over at the dumpster fire known as the Cal defense, didn't do well after one year, and got demoted.  This year, Cal's defense is as bad as it was a year earlier under Buh, so the problem there obviously wasn't with Buh.  Even if it was, he was obviously a very good LB coach.

Very good post. Wish most on HV would listen. If Buh gets the job when BB really wanted him first when BB came here then maybe BB was not too concerned with losing RS if he knew he could replace him with his number one choice. All faith in BB giving us the best staff possible!

Buh was Bielema's #1 choice for LB coach when he came here, but he couldn't get him because he took the DC job at Cal.  He ended up hiring RS instead.  To put it simply, Bielema wanted him, and Harbaugh promoted him.  That's all the endorsement I need.

MuskogeeHogFan

Maybe I have missed it, but is there a link to where Bielema stated that his first choice for LB coach when he came here was Andy Buh over Randy Shannon? I haven't seen anything like that but if someone has a link, I would enjoy reading it.
Go Hogs Go!

ricepig

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on January 01, 2015, 09:17:00 am
Maybe I have missed it, but is there a link to where Bielema stated that his first choice for LB coach when he came here was Andy Buh over Randy Shannon? I haven't seen anything like that but if someone has a link, I would enjoy reading it.

I'm sure it's in the same link that named Buh the new coach, but you might have to dig back two years.........

Been10Hog

Is that something any coach would ever say in a presser?

"Ladies and gentleman I would like to introduce the next LB coach at Arkansas......Randy Shannon. I wanted Coach Buh but we have Randy. Woooo Pig."

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Been10Hog on January 01, 2015, 09:19:54 am
Is that something any coach would ever say in a presser?

"Ladies and gentleman I would like to introduce the next LB at Arkansas......Randy Shannon. I wanted Coach Buh but we have Randy. Apollo Pig."

Point being, none of us can state something as fact in the absence of facts. No one knows who Bielema's first choice was for LB Coach. But if I had to choose between Shannon or Buh, I think I would pick Shannon every time, especially because of his ties in S. Florida. But that isn't fact, it is just my opinion.

I have no idea what Bielema wanted to do at the time, and no one else does either. But to say he originally wanted Buh in the absence of facts is precisely how speculation/opinion remarkably turns into alleged/perceived fact on Hogville.
Go Hogs Go!

Pork Twain

Pretty sure I saw a poster say it earlier in this thread...if it is on here, take it to the bank.

;)
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Pork Twain on January 01, 2015, 09:26:22 am
Pretty sure I saw a poster say it earlier in this thread...if it is on here, take it to the bank.

;)

And there you have it. It was stated on Hogville, therefore, it must be true.
Go Hogs Go!

Pork Twain

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on January 01, 2015, 09:28:33 am
And there you have it. It was stated on Hogville, therefore, it must be true.
Unfortunately many actually believe that.  Funny how message board rumors float around and all of a sudden are assumed to be fact.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

Been10Hog

Nobody knows the facts and speculation is what drives this board. My speculation is that someone in this thread said that BB wanted Buh first but Buh took DC job at Cal so BB hired RS. Just like it has been said, through speculation, that Chris Ash going to OSU might have been encouraged by BB. RS going back home to his state of Florida may not have been slowed or challenged because BB knew Buh was not in a coaching position and he could get him, who he preferred.

His hire of Rob Smith shows he knows what he wants. That move alone made a huge difference just with how he aligns the secondary. Ash used to have the DBs give a 10 yard cushion. WRs would make quick catches make our DBs miss and be off to the races. Now in press coverage we are their for the tackle immediately. Ash's style may work in the Big 10. It did with Wisc and clearly has with OSU. I think Amari Cooper will destroy that philosophy tonight in Sugar Bowl. Giving him the ball in space will not work.

BB has a plan! Go Hogs!

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Been10Hog on January 01, 2015, 09:36:16 am
Nobody knows the facts and speculation is what drives this board. My speculation is that someone in this thread said that BB wanted Buh first but Buh took DC job at Cal so BB hired RS. Just like it has been said, through speculation, that Chris Ash going to OSU might have been encouraged by BB. RS going back home to his state of Florida may not have been slowed or challenged because BB knew Buh was not in a coaching position and he could get him, who he preferred.

His hire of Rob Smith shows he knows what he wants. That move alone made a huge difference just with how he aligns the secondary. Ash used to have the DBs give a 10 yard cushion. WRs would make quick catches make our DBs miss and be off to the races. Now in press coverage we are their for the tackle immediately. Ash's style may work in the Big 10. It did with Wisc and clearly has with OSU. I think Amari Cooper will destroy that philosophy tonight in Sugar Bowl. Giving him the ball in space will not work.

BB has a plan! Go Hogs!

As I was saying, and nothing against you here, but this is how speculative and biased opinion based rumors begin and seem to turn into some kind of Hogville fact in absence of any basis.

Again, who in their right mind, with Shannon's coaching and coordinating experience at such a high level, and with the LB's that he has produced, along with his recruiting relationships in S. Florida, would pick someone like Buh, over Shannon? Slow playing Shannon and at the same time promoting him, having him interview the future DC because of your respect for his experience in the game, while you wait for Buh to come available? That doesn't make sense to me at all, but again that is JMO.

Not slamming you at all, I'm just saying, there is a lot of speculation that is ran with around here because of personal opinions, that quite remarkably, seems to turn into Hogville fact, in the absence of actual fact or logic.
Go Hogs Go!

WilsonHog

Chemistry.

That is always the wildcard that defies resumes. This is not just a paper business; "this guy has a great resume, he's gotta be our guy."

Take Ed Orgeron, just for the sake of argument. I would love to see the Big Cajun in Fayetteville; I think it would be a hoot. Great recruiter, too. However, it's easy for me to sit in my recliner and endorse him, because I'm not going to have to work with the man 16 hours a day. At least in part, I'm not going to have to put my livelihood - and that of my family - in how well he can coach linebackers.

Certainly the ability to recruit enters into the equation, but so do the answers to several other questions. Have the linebackers he has produced been technically sound? Has he "coached them up?" Does his philosophy of how to play defense coincide with what Robb Smith's is? How good a fit will he be with the rest of the staff?

I have no way to answer those questions, plus no telling how many more, and it's not my job to do so. That falls to Bret.  That's why, regardless of who Bret ultimately hires, I'm going to trust in his decision-making process and sleep well.

HOGINTENNESSEE

You won't find it anywhere official. Just the football coaching rumor sites.

But rumor was CBB only wanted 4 guys from his last staff. Ash, Partridge, Buh and Hammock the RB coach.

http://www.buckys5thquarter.com/2012/12/15/3771528/report-andy-buh-set-to-join-bielema-at-arkansas

Been10Hog

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on January 01, 2015, 09:45:56 am
As I was saying, and nothing against you here, but this is how speculative and biased opinion based rumors begin and seem to turn into some kind of Hogville fact in absence of any basis.

Again, who in their right mind, with Shannon's coaching and coordinating experience at such a high level, and with the LB's that he has produced, along with his recruiting relationships in S. Florida, would pick someone like Buh, over Shannon? Slow playing Shannon and at the same time promoting him, having him interview the future DC because of your respect for his experience in the game, while you wait for Buh to come available? That doesn't make sense to me at all, but again that is JMO.

I respect your opinion. It's all speculation. My slant would be that in your above post remove the names Buh and Shannon then insert Ash and Smith. It doesn't seem so unreasonable to assume that BB knew what he was doing then and does now as well.

Not slamming you at all, I'm just saying, there is a lot of speculation that is ran with around here because of personal opinions, that quite remarkably, seems to turn into Hogville fact, in the absence of actual fact or logic.

Been10Hog

I agree with you. But, without speculation, panic, hope, how fun would this board be?

gawntrail

This may be a great hire.  Many of the CA coaches have ties to the HS AND the JuCo staffs out there.  Hope he is one of them.  Lots of great kids in JuCo out there who were 3* with lots of upside and/or 4-5 who needed a year or two for academics.

Those are kids who would really appreciate an oppty to play at a program like ours.

Pork Twain

Always great to have Wilson, Okla and MHF chime in on any topic.  Rumors and fit are huge and something that is often lost on here is the research our coaches have already conducted on future fits.  When discussing a coach like CBB, who has an outstanding record with assistant hires, you have to know that he does his homework.  Contrary to Hogville opinion, he likely does not just have a list of guys he has worked with in the past and that is it. 

We spend 15-30 minutes a day discussing these topics.  I would hazard a guess that CBB thinks about this hours a day, all year long.  That is what good leaders do, prepare for what you know you will be faced with.  Losing assistants is a fact in college football.  Just look at the Todd Grantham, Jeremy Pruitt and Chavis heading to aTm.  It is rarely "just" about money either, fit and comfort always enter the picture.  That is what people are losing sight of with Shannon.