Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Jim Tressel

Started by RzrHawg, October 04, 2012, 10:14:29 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

RzrHawg

Are there any NCAA violations that could keep him from coaching college football again? I know he comes with quite a bit of baggage, but he's a good coach none the less.

justin2000m80

There is a five year show cause that the NCAA requires before he can be  hired.  Other words it aint happening. 

Ty Webb240

NCAA issues.  NO

Also, fans would think Nutt's offense was extremely innovative and creative compared to Tressel's. 

HogHomer

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/12/20/ncaa-slaps-ohio-state-with-bowl-ban-scholarship-loss-show-cause-for-tressel/

"A show-cause penalty will be handed to former head coach Jim Tressel for failing to report knowledge of impermissible benefits given to players before the 2010 season, which resulted in ineligible players participating during that season. The how-cause means any school that hires Tressel could be subject to sanctions by the NCAA."

BBHog

Quote from: Ty Webb240 on October 04, 2012, 10:16:56 pm
NCAA issues.  NO

Also, fans would think Nutt's offense was extremely innovative and creative compared to Tressel's. 

Who cares?  Most here want to win.  I'm having trouble thinking of a program that wins big that hasn't had allegations of wrongdoings.  We tried going the admirable route this spring.  It's not fun.

HG

Quote from: BBHog on October 04, 2012, 10:21:24 pm
Who cares?  Most here want to win.  I'm having trouble thinking of a program that wins big that hasn't had allegations of wrongdoings.  We tried going the admirable route this spring.  It's not fun.

In his case, they were proven, though.  Which is why there's a show-cause order on him.

County kid

Do not want...
Be very wary of a coach at a school that recruits itself!
1981- a razorback is born
1988- my first game
1994- greatest sports moment(arkansas 76 duke 72)
1998- worst sports moment(Stoener stumble)
2012- bobby Petrino firing

johnny cash

Brass Knob

You can technically hire him but we would have to make one heck of a case as to why his sanctions should not follow him to Arkansas. It is the same reason Bruce Pearl is not currently coaching.

Roctavious

Beware of a coach that wears a sweater vest.

defuzer

Quote from: johnny cash on October 04, 2012, 10:25:30 pm
How is his Integrity?

Think he wrote a book about it.   so he's good!!

Hawg Balling

Quote from: RzrHawg on October 04, 2012, 10:14:29 pm
Are there any NCAA violations that could keep him from coaching college football again? I know he comes with quite a bit of baggage, but he's a good coach none the less.

Multi-year 'show cause' penalty.  Not happening.

devildoghawg

You've heard of Google right?  No?  Here you go .... www.google.com
Quote from: kingofdequeen on July 25, 2013, 06:21:48 pm
If you've got a dumba** son, do you love him any less?  no.  you just overlook his faults b/c you love him.  At least that's what my dad does.

ramblinj

Quote from: Roctavious on October 04, 2012, 10:53:55 pm
Beware of a coach that wears a sweater vest.

I think it would be fun to wear a Jim Tressel sweater vest with an old Houston Nutt hat on game days.

razorbackcaller

The guy has been caught cheating at his last two jobs. He has more character flaws than petrino.

2BitBoar

Unhireable  No chance.

ss1000

Eligible or not. Still no
Its not much of a crime to whack a surly bartender.

I hope your wrong, yes sir captain, me too, but I aint.

VBMark

Last time I explained this, one of the mods trashed the thread. Here is the deal, if you hire Tressel, then he is suspended for the first 5 games and must miss any bowl game the team goes to in his first year. After that, the team remains on probation for whatever remains of the five years.

So in other words, if we hire him at the end of this season, then he will have two years probation remaining on his tenure. We would be treated as repeat offenders in that three year time frame.

I'm okay with that I think...
John L. Smith is so bad that he will laugh himself off the field

Hawg Balling

Quote from: VBMark on October 07, 2012, 09:34:06 pm
Last time I explained this, one of the mods trashed the thread. Here is the deal, if you hire Tressel, then he is suspended for the first 5 games and must miss any bowl game the team goes to in his first year. After that, the team remains on probation for whatever remains of the five years.

So in other words, if we hire him at the end of this season, then he will have two years probation remaining on his tenure. We would be treated as repeat offenders in that three year time frame.

I'm okay with that I think...

So you're okay with the NCAA putting our program under a microscope for the duration of his tenure?  I'm not.  Not at all.   

Given what's come out about his tenure at Ohio State, the NCAA would practically set up a field office in Fayetteville.  No thanks. 

nwarazfan

Tressel cheated as an assistant at Oh St.  He cheated at Youngstown St. 

latrops

Tressel is a very good coach.  However, he won at Ohio State, where he typically had superior talent to 80% of his opponents, and equal talent to the remaining 20%.  Arkansas needs an overachiever, someone that can build a program and compete with top teams in spite of certain disadvantages.  Given the trouble Tressel has been in, I just don't think he is worth the risk right now.

Cure

Quote from: latrops on October 08, 2012, 12:08:23 pm
Tressel is a very good coach.  However, he won at Ohio State, where he typically had superior talent to 80% of his opponents, and equal talent to the remaining 20%.  Arkansas needs an overachiever, someone that can build a program and compete with top teams in spite of certain disadvantages.  Given the trouble Tressel has been in, I just don't think he is worth the risk right now.
JT could win without superior talent, the man knows his x's and o's. Because he had Ohio State that recruits itself, his work was easier, but he can recruit better than a majority of the country.

Once again, you can have great talent and not amount to anything with it.
Team Economics
From Keynes to Friedman, we know what's up.

Boarme

As has been stated numerous times  the show cause from the NCAA makes him a non-runner

El Puerco

Quote from: johnny cash on October 04, 2012, 10:25:30 pm
How is his Integrity?

He writes books on integrity.  That's just the kind of integrity that might ring true with our AD

The Boar War

It would be ironic if Arkansas hired Tressel and had to serve the bowl suspensions that should have been given to the OSU players.