Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Raiders Moving To Las Vegas from Oakland

Started by NuttinItUp, March 28, 2017, 10:36:34 am

Previous topic - Next topic

NuttinItUp

MultipleScoreGasms

No they aren't.  They're getting the Raiders.

longtimeHogfan

I don't like to plan my day because then the word premeditated comes into the conversation.

HF#1

My new favorite NFL team. Since the Rams left St Louis I've been in limbo. But now, I can get behind the Vegas Raiders.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

NuttinItUp

Anyone see any point-shaving scandals afoot with a team in Vegas?

DeltaBoy

This is a sad move but I under stand they will make more money in Vegas.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

HogFansReunited

Quote from: MultipleScoreGasms on March 28, 2017, 11:56:17 am

Hate all you want but they made the playoffs last season and would have won a few games if Carr didn't break his leg.
My girl told me to whisper something sexy in her ear...so I leaned in and said....Dominic Fletcher.

Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pm
Remember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!

Member #3568

kodiakisland

Quote from: NuttinItUp on March 28, 2017, 12:19:19 pm
Anyone see any point-shaving scandals afoot with a team in Vegas?

How's it any different than any other game played any where else?  You think a team has to be in Vegas to be gambled on?
If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

kodiakisland

Quote from: DeltaBoy on March 28, 2017, 12:31:02 pm
This is a sad move but I under stand they will make more money in Vegas.

No more sad than when the oilers left Houston or the Cardinals left St Louis or when the Colts left Baltimore or when the Rams left LA or ...
If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

hogsanity

IF it is okay for players to hop from team to team, why not for teams to hop from city to city?
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Ex-Trumpet

All this NFL shuffling should stop.

The KC Chiefs were once the Dallas Texans before their move...

The Texans are now in Houston where the Oilers once were...

The Oilers are now in Tennessee, where no NFL franchise has any business being...

St Louis Cardinals moved to Phoenix, and then changed their name to Arizona for only God knows why...

The LA Rams moved to St. Louis after the Cardinals moved to Arizona.

The Oakland Raiders moved to LA, proving that that armpit of a city could not support two NFL teams.  So, they moved back to Oakland...

St Louis Rams (simply wrong on all accounts) moved back to LA, where they will once again be playing to empty seats.

San Diego moves to the armpit, just to further prove that LA can't support two teams.

Oakland proves for at least the 2nd time that football has no business there and moves to Vegas...

It may actually be easier keeping up with politics!
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

Ex-Trumpet

And, of course Baltimore Colts moved to Indianapolis, leaving a void for the Cleveland Browns to fill...but Cleveland bowed up and sued for the rights to "Browns."  Thus the Ravens...

Then the Browns are a new team...
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

NuttinItUp

Quote from: kodiakisland on March 28, 2017, 12:39:09 pm
How's it any different than any other game played any where else?  You think a team has to be in Vegas to be gambled on?
No, I just figured it might increase access to players if they were closer to the bookies.

NuttinItUp

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on March 28, 2017, 12:46:30 pm

The Oilers are now in Tennessee, where no NFL franchise has any business being...

St Louis Cardinals moved to Phoenix, and then changed their name to Arizona for only God knows why...

The Oakland Raiders moved to LA, proving that that armpit of a city could not support two NFL teams.  So, they moved back to Oakland...

St Louis Rams (simply wrong on all accounts) moved back to LA, where they will once again be playing to empty seats.

San Diego moves to the armpit, just to further prove that LA can't support two teams.

Oakland proves for at least the 2nd time that football has no business there and moves to Vegas...

They keep talking about putting a team in London as well. Not sure if that will ever actually happen or not, though...

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: NuttinItUp on March 28, 2017, 03:35:21 pm
They keep talking about putting a team in London as well. Not sure if that will ever actually happen or not, though...

Not happening.  Too many concerns about its proximity to Nuclear One.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

BearsBisonsBoars

Quote from: NuttinItUp on March 28, 2017, 03:35:21 pm

I nominate the Patriots

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: kodiakisland on March 28, 2017, 12:41:49 pm
No more sad than when the oilers left Houston or the Cardinals left St Louis or when the Colts left Baltimore or when the Rams left LA or ...

Exactly. Some people don't remember when the Rams left LA for St Louis before going back to LA. Or when the Raiders left for LA before going back to Oakland.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

hawkhawg

They are 3-2 in Super Bowls. There are only a handful of teams more successful than the raiders. And they have a large fan base. 

Inhogswetrust

March 28, 2017, 03:55:08 pm #18 Last Edit: March 28, 2017, 08:06:03 pm by Inhogswetrust

What's wrong with having a team in Nashville. They support it fine and it's a great city. Better than some other NFL one's.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

hobhog

Oh no! What will all the gangsters in LA/Oakland wear now?!?!

theFlyingHog

Quote from: hawkhawg on March 28, 2017, 03:51:45 pm
They are 3-2 in Super Bowls. There are only a handful of teams more successful than the raiders. And they have a large fan base.
I'm 33 and I don't remember any of those Super Bowls. All I remember is SUCK

Bacons Rebellion

The Cardinals belong in Chicago. The Lions should have stayed in Portsmouth, Ohio. The Redskins will always be the Boston Braves to an old school NFL fan.

bennyl08

Can anybody comment on the whole stadium things?

Why is a new stadium such a deal breaker to warrant moving cities? I mean, were the stadiums on the verge of being unsafe to the point where building a new one would be cheaper than updating the existing stadium? Or is it that the owners want to have a newer, fancier stadium from the ground up rather than update the existing one, and wants the city to pay for all/a large chunk of the new stadium and will move to basically anywhere a city is willing to fork over enough money?

I'm really hoping it is somehow the former and not the latter. However, knowing big businesses, I'm assuming the latter.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

LZH

Quote from: bennyl08 on March 28, 2017, 10:45:03 pm

Why is a new stadium such a deal breaker to warrant moving cities? I mean, were the stadiums on the verge of being unsafe to the point where building a new one would be cheaper than updating the existing stadium? Or is it that the owners want to have a newer, fancier stadium from the ground up rather than update the existing one, and wants the city to pay for all/a large chunk of the new stadium and will move to basically anywhere a city is willing to fork over enough money?

I'm really hoping it is somehow the former and not the latter. However, knowing big businesses, I'm assuming the latter.

Even though there were crooked politicians involved, after the way the Marlins fleeced Miami-Dade County, I can't imagine another city falling for that again.

Inhogswetrust

Think upgraded seating. Suites, club areas, Loge seats, etc. Upgraded + other newer nicer seating and amenities = more money.

The_Iceman

Your jokes are out of date. Raiders are good now.

PonderinHog

The situation is fluid ???

Sweet Feet

Quote from: theFlyingHog on March 28, 2017, 06:55:44 pm
Then you don't remember 2002

Jackrabbit Hog

I know I'm in the minority here, but I think the potential is there for some really bad stuff to happen down the road.  Vegas has changed its image a lot the last 20 or so years, but there is still a seedy underbelly.  Don't kid yourself that organized crime isn't there anymore.  Also, NFL players who have no discipline in their personal lives - think Pacman Jones, Johnny Manziel, etc. - just don't need the temptations of that city around them 24/7.
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on March 29, 2017, 10:41:13 am
I know I'm in the minority here, but I think the potential is there for some really bad stuff to happen down the road.  Vegas has changed its image a lot the last 20 or so years, but there is still a seedy underbelly.  Don't kid yourself that organized crime isn't there anymore.  Also, NFL players who have no discipline in their personal lives - think Pacman Jones, Johnny Manziel, etc. - just don't need the temptations of that city around them 24/7.

A city that exists because of gambling gets a team playing in the most-gambled-on league in the US...what could possibly go wrong?

HogFansReunited

Your memory must suck if you can't even remember 2002.
My girl told me to whisper something sexy in her ear...so I leaned in and said....Dominic Fletcher.

Member #3568

BearsBisonsBoars

HogFansReunited

I know that the Raiders have been trying to get a better stadium for a long time and Oakland just won't help them.  The stadium they are in now is a complete dump.  I still hate to see them leave Oakland for any city other than LA but the move needed to happen.  I can't wait to spend a few weekends in Vegas and seeing a few games there.

Member #3568

HogFansReunited

Quote from: BearsBisonsBoars on March 29, 2017, 11:31:54 am
Most recent was '83. It was the Rams in 2002

2002 was the last Super Bowl appearance which is what was being discussed at the time.

Member #3568

hogsanity

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on March 29, 2017, 11:05:15 am
A city that exists because of gambling gets a team playing in the most-gambled-on league in the US...what could possibly go wrong?

Noting that could not already go wrong with every team in every city now.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: HogFansReunited on March 29, 2017, 11:48:51 am
2002 was the last Super Bowl appearance which is what was being discussed at the time.

Might want to double check that.  BBB is right.  The Rams were in the Super Bowl in '02; got beat by the Patriots.  The Patriots had beaten the Raiders in the AFC Championship game to get there.

Edit:  The Raiders did go in '03; got beat by Tampa Bay and Gruden.  That was their last decent team until the last year or so.

bennyl08

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on March 29, 2017, 06:47:38 am
Think upgraded seating. Suites, club areas, Loge seats, etc. Upgraded + other newer nicer seating and amenities = more money.

We upgraded the fancy seats without having to build a whole new stadium...
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: bennyl08 on March 29, 2017, 01:17:24 pm

With Roman columns!!

HogFansReunited

March 29, 2017, 02:07:22 pm #38 Last Edit: March 29, 2017, 04:02:23 pm by HogFansReunited
Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on March 29, 2017, 01:16:28 pm
Might want to double check that.  BBB is right.  The Rams were in the Super Bowl in '02; got beat by the Patriots.  The Patriots had beaten the Raiders in the AFC Championship game to get there.

Edit:  The Raiders did go in '03; got beat by Tampa Bay and Gruden.  That was their last decent team until the last year or so.

I stand corrected.  I do remember being pissed as hell at Chucky (Gruden)

Member #3568

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: bennyl08 on March 29, 2017, 01:17:24 pm

We had a stadium that was easy to add on to. Same as other colleges. One difference is who pays a big chunk of it. For the pros taxpayers do. For colleges donors and season ticket holders do. A few pro teams did indeed expand and added upgraded seating. Chicago and Green Bay come to mind.  The difference is that teams can hold cities hostage by threatening to move. 

bennyl08

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on March 29, 2017, 02:12:15 pm
We had a stadium that was easy to add on to. Same as other colleges. One difference is who pays a big chunk of it. For the pros taxpayers do. For colleges donors and season ticket holders do. A few pro teams did indeed expand and added upgraded seating. Chicago and Green Bay come to mind.  The difference is that teams can hold cities hostage by threatening to move.

Which is why I applaud San Diego for taking a stand. They were willing to pay a chunk of it, but the owner refused to fund any part of a new stadium with his own ludicrous amount of money or do any fundraising himself. Also, the city had a great spot that would be much cheaper, but the equivalent of having the stadium in Arlington instead of Dallas proper, but the owner demanded the stadium be right in the middle of the city.

For comparison, the city of LV is footing 750M iirc of a projected 1.5+ billion dollar stadium.

It's a strong debate whether the city should fund any part of the stadium. However, no city should be required to fund the whole thing much less half. The studies I've seen show that the city does not usually get a return on investment though I imagine there's a wide range of variability on what you include in said studies. I.e. comparing tax revenue generated on fall weekends during an away game vs a home and the such.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: bennyl08 on March 29, 2017, 02:25:54 pm
Which is why I applaud San Diego for taking a stand. They were willing to pay a chunk of it, but the owner refused to fund any part of a new stadium with his own ludicrous amount of money or do any fundraising himself. Also, the city had a great spot that would be much cheaper, but the equivalent of having the stadium in Arlington instead of Dallas proper, but the owner demanded the stadium be right in the middle of the city.

For comparison, the city of LV is footing 750M iirc of a projected 1.5+ billion dollar stadium.

It's a strong debate whether the city should fund any part of the stadium. However, no city should be required to fund the whole thing much less half. The studies I've seen show that the city does not usually get a return on investment though I imagine there's a wide range of variability on what you include in said studies. I.e. comparing tax revenue generated on fall weekends during an away game vs a home and the such.

Agree completely. There are a LOT of studies showing it isn't a good ROI. Heck there are a lot of studies showing having a professional team doesn't matter at all or at least very small.

PharmacistHog

Then you must not be able to remember 2003.
Quote from: HogPharmer on December 27, 2018, 09:45:23 am
Millennials suck...

Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm
Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: hogsanity on March 29, 2017, 12:56:47 pm
Noting that could not already go wrong with every team in every city now.

True, but instead of looking for trouble in some cities, the trouble is right there looking at you in Vegas.

BearsBisonsBoars

Quote from: HogFansReunited on March 29, 2017, 02:07:22 pm
I stand corrected.  I do remember being pissed at hell at Chucky (Gruden)

And I do as well. I read 03 as 83 on my phone.

And wow. Tampa Bay vs Oakland? By present day's standards that's one hell of a game. (Taking the operative word literally)

theFlyingHog

Quote from: HogFansReunited on March 29, 2017, 11:48:51 am
Quote from: HogFansReunited on March 29, 2017, 11:30:44 am
Your memory must suck if you can't even remember 2002.
Quote from: Sweet Feet on March 29, 2017, 09:53:37 am
Then you don't remember 2002
Quote from: PharmacistHog on March 29, 2017, 02:56:33 pm
Then you must not be able to remember 2003.
Why would I remember ANY Super Bowls from that far back? I remember the 2002 Pats-Raiders championship game because I know Walt. Most Super Bowls aren't even good games. Haven't had a favorite team since Favre retired and I much prefer college ball.

HogFansReunited

Quote from: theFlyingHog on March 29, 2017, 04:39:54 pm
Why would I remember ANY Super Bowls from that far back? I remember the 2002 Pats-Raiders championship game because I know Walt. Most Super Bowls aren't even good games. Haven't had a favorite team since Favre retired and I much prefer college ball.

Understandable but yes they have been involved in the Super Bowl this century and were a very good team in the early 2000's. Hopefully they are returning to greatness again. If Carr wouldn't have broke his leg this season, there is a good chance they would have made it to the ABC Championship game and possibly more.

Member #3568

Sweet Feet

cosmodrum

Gonna be weird hating the Las Vegas Raiders
Go away, batin'

HogFansReunited

Quote from: cosmodrum on March 29, 2017, 11:50:58 pm
Gonna be weird hating the Las Vegas Raiders

Easy solution, join Raider Nation.

Member #3568