Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Okay I guess Sexton is pretty good

Started by lynbug, March 08, 2018, 02:06:32 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

lynbug

Applebottomjeans

I hate their freaking fight song. Makes me want to puke.  Pelphrey was pretty pumped there at the end

riccoar

jst01

That was a failure of defense of epic proportions to end a game. There was one thing to stop with 4 seconds, Sexton. And A&M just backed up the entire possession and let him finger roll it in. Awful.

hoglady

It was a fun game to watch for sure.
Sexton was fantastic today as was Starks for A&M.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

JoeyJackMcKaskell

Quote from: jst01 on March 08, 2018, 02:08:19 pm
That was a failure of defense of epic proportions to end a game. There was one thing to stop with 4 seconds, Sexton. And A&M just backed up the entire possession and let him finger roll it in. Awful.

Lmao. No one in America could've stop that kid on that drive.

jst01

Quote from: JoeyJackMcKaskell on March 08, 2018, 02:24:12 pm
Lmao. No one in America could've stop that kid on that drive.

Please. The one thing you say is, do not let Sexton take the ball down the lane and shoot. They didn't stop the ball and he drove it straight to the basket for a 3 foot shot.

JoeyJackMcKaskell

Quote from: jst01 on March 08, 2018, 02:26:07 pm
Please. The one thing you say is, do not let Sexton take the ball down the lane and shoot. They didn't stop the ball and he drove it straight to the basket for a 3 foot shot.

This ain't Hoosiers bud. That's a rare athlete. Saying it and doing it are two completely different things.

hogsanity

Quote from: jst01 on March 08, 2018, 02:26:07 pm

Whats amazing is how often that happens, especially in conf and the ncaat. Guys are so afraid to foul, to give up game winning ft's. Just like Tyus Edny for UCLA in 95 going the length in 4 seconds to beat Mizzu over a 7 footer that just stood there.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

jst01

Quote from: JoeyJackMcKaskell on March 08, 2018, 02:28:13 pm
This ain't Hoosiers bud. That's a rare athlete. Saying it and doing it are two completely different things.

Sexton is gifted no doubt, but that was bad defense I thgouth. 

Atlhogfan1

Instead of guarding the inbounder, A&M should have been in position to double team Sexton if he received the pass.  Make him beat two defenders or give up the basketball.  Have your other 3 defenders protecting the paint and the rim and make Sexton give it up and someone handle a pass and get up a shot in 4 seconds time.  Never defend a PG like Sexton the way A&M did.  First time Bama has won a game since 2/13.
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

SPAL

Quote from: jst01 on March 08, 2018, 02:08:19 pm

I said the same thing. #2 stood and watched and #5 made no effort to step up and try to stop him. Nobody denied him the ball either. Odd.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on March 08, 2018, 02:40:16 pm
I said the same thing. #2 stood and watched and #5 made no effort to step up and try to stop him. Nobody denied him the ball either. Odd.

A&M wasted the defender on the inbounder.  Should have face guarded Sexton and made it hard for him to even get the initial pass.  You don't let a PG as gifted as he is beat you that easily. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

JoeyJackMcKaskell

Quote from: jst01 on March 08, 2018, 02:31:07 pm
Sexton is gifted no doubt, but that was bad defense I thgouth.

That kid is so fast with the basketball once he gets you going backwards it's hard to stay in front. Plus like hogsanity said they're so afraid of fouling  there isnt much you can do. I would've maybe had Tyler Davis just standing in the middle of the lane. He didn't have time to kick it out. 

bjeffersonhog

A&M's biggest mistake was even letting him get the inbounds pass.  No reason to guard the guy throwing the ball in.  man up the other 3 guys, and have one person denying sexton and another person guarding the pass over the top. 

redleg

Yes, he is very good. Bama fans had better enjoy him for the next few weeks, because that guy is one-and-done for sure!
Why go to Alabama? hmm. Curious.
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

rljjr

Quote from: JoeyJackMcKaskell on March 08, 2018, 02:43:11 pm
That kid is so fast with the basketball once he gets you going backwards it's hard to stay in front. Plus like hogsanity said they're so afraid of fouling  there isnt much you can do. I would've maybe had Tyler Davis just standing in the middle of the lane. He didn't have time to kick it out. 

True, but I think having a guy within 8 feet of him would have helped because he almost lost the ball when he made his cut from the sideline to the middle. He's good, he's fast, but the Aggies could have played that a lot better.

UAfanatic

Quote from: JoeyJackMcKaskell on March 08, 2018, 02:28:13 pm

I thought the same thing live, but
He weaved from the left side through the defense.. he not only ran the full length of the court but weaved half the width..
The breakdown was letting it get to him on the in-bound.. but realizing that there wasn't time for a second pass and building a wall of defense for just him, is just not the basis of how a team practices all season.. so would never be thought of.