Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

PyeongChang Winter Olympics

Started by Tejano Jawg, February 10, 2018, 01:50:19 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Tejano Jawg

I've always loved the Winter Olympics—the atmosphere, the drama (the first one I watched was 1976 in Innsbruck Austria, with the great downhill run by Franz Klammer), and the surprise upsets (our 1980 Gold Medal Hockey team).

Let the games begin.

And, here's the Canadian curling team.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

Inhogswetrust

February 11, 2018, 07:53:27 am #1 Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 12:34:31 pm by Inhogswetrust
We attended the one in Salt Lake City. Best trip we ever made. Highlight was getting to attend the medal ceremony when the USA swept one of the snowboard events. We were lucky enough to get tickets about 50 feet away from the stage. Seeing all three flagpoles having the US flag raised up them brought a tear to my eyes. You might be shocked as to one event that surprised us as to how much fun we had going to see.  It was curling and the US team was competing right in front of us. Couldn't have been over 25 feet away. I thought it would be like golf and had to be quiet. After a beer or two I was yelling at that damn rock sliding down the ice like everyone else! Crowd was loud.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Mo_Better_Hogs

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on February 11, 2018, 07:53:27 am
We attended the one in Salt Lake City. Best trip we ever made. Highlight was getting to attend to medal ceremony when the USA swept one of the snowboard events. We were lucky enough to get tickets about 50 feet away from the stage. Seeing all three flagpoles having the US flag raised up them brought a tear to my eyes. You might be shocked as to one event that surprised us as to how much fun we had going to see.  It was curling and the US team was competing right in front of us. Couldn't have been over 25 feet away. I thought it would be like golf and had to be quiet. After a beer or two I was yelling at that damn rock sliding down the ice like everyone else! Crowd was loud.

That's cool. Would love to go to a Winter Olympics, nice excuse to drink a hot toddy. The sports are so fascinating to watch. One reason people thing that--they are sports that are more 'foreign' to us. And who would have thought curling could be a wild, furious sport?? LOL.

T-Jawg, that pic of the Canadian curling team--I want to party with those ladies. I saw highlights of the Canadian women's hockey team killing Russia today. They were amazing, but don't think I'd want to party with them.

Where the heck is everyone else? Is no one watching the Olympics? Are you guys Americans or Commies?   ;)

DOGALUM

I'm still watching. Can't get enough....summer or winter. 
A man who wouldn't cheat for a poke, don't want one bad enough!

Tejano Jawg

Yesterday...skating. There are some hotties from Canada (one looks like a Kardashian without the 2-ton booty) and Russia. The Russians have been doing ice skating and ballets for centuries, of course they'll be good and good looking. Our US team won the bronze medal.

American Jamie Anderson wins gold in slope-style snowboarding, upsetting Austrian favorite Anna Gasser—the hottest snowboarding girl ever with a goofy name (pictured below.) The winds blowing during the event were WILD.

Also, Chris Mazdzer won a silver in the luge (first medal for us in the solo luge), an event dominated by those countries that invented sleds, like Germany.

Today, Chloe Kim won the women's halfpipe. In the men's halfpipe, Shaun White qualified with a ridiculous run. Not medaling in the last Olympics must've really pissed him off.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

Mo_Better_Hogs

I see a trend here--with the pictures--and I like it. BTW, maybe the biggest performer for us in the 76 Winter Olympics you mentioned was Dorothy Hamill.

Tejano Jawg

SHAUN WHITE...is the man! Damn, that half-pipe final had drama.

ArkyFan2626

Tejano Jawg

Quote from: Mo_Better_Hogs on February 13, 2018, 12:20:50 pm
I see a trend here--with the pictures--and I like it. BTW, maybe the biggest performer for us in the 76 Winter Olympics you mentioned was Dorothy Hamill.

Here you go. DH definitely had it going on. Not a big fan of that short hairdo, but back then I probably didn't care.

HawgWild

DirecTV is broadcasting live Olympic coverage for 6 hours each day on one of their 4K channels.

Tejano Jawg

Here's the Canadian skater I spoke of earlier (the Kardashian look-alike.) Not trying to be so 'skating-heavy' here, but one more tidbit for you general sportsy guys—the NBC commentator on this is Terry Gannon. I wondered why he looked familiar...he was the shooting guard on NC State's/Valvano's championship basketball team.

DeltaBoy

White delivered and got his Gold back.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

311Hog

the wife and i have really enjoyed watching the ShibSibs in Ice dancing.

I wish the NHL didn't prevent its players from being in the Olympics not nearly as exciting and a mistake by the NHL IMHO.

I am a new fan of the skeleton that SK guy with the Ironman helmet kills me.

HoggyCat

Quote from: 311Hog on February 20, 2018, 03:54:13 pm
the wife and i have really enjoyed watching the ShibSibs in Ice dancing.

I wish the NHL didn't prevent its players from being in the Olympics not nearly as exciting and a mistake by the NHL IMHO.

I am a new fan of the skeleton that SK guy with the Ironman helmet kills me.

Gold for the Ladies!!!!
I'm only responsible for what I say, not how you perceive it.

311Hog

Quote from: HoggyCat on February 22, 2018, 06:19:19 am
Gold for the Ladies!!!!

yes indeed.  When i said hockey wasn't exciting i meant the men's side without the NHL players but the ladies vs canada another amazing game! 20 year drought broken.

Yesterday was a great day for the Americans.

hoglady

I just finished watching the Hockey game.
It certainly doesn't get anymore exciting than that.
Yesterday was indeed a fine day for the USA.

My favorite moment of the Olympics so far was Diggins in the drive to the finish in the Team Sprint for the first ever women's cross-country medal - and it was gold. That was pure determination and heart.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

Tejano Jawg

Quote from: hoglady on February 22, 2018, 10:22:52 am
My favorite moment of the Olympics so far was Diggins in the drive to the finish in the Team Sprint for the first ever women's cross-country medal - and it was gold. That was pure determination and heart.

I've heard the announcer's call of this finish a few times on the radio today. Wow. I'll look up the video to see if it's out there. One local radio guy said "we just heard the greatest moment in that NBC announcer's life." LOL.

hoglady

Quote from: Tejano Jawg on February 22, 2018, 03:49:55 pm
I've heard the announcer's call of this finish a few times on the radio today. Wow. I'll look up the video to see if it's out there. One local radio guy said "we just heard the greatest moment in that NBC announcer's life." LOL.

Yes - look up the video.
You won't be sorry - it was an incredible race by the US ladies.
The announcers were going crazy but if you watch the video you'll see why.
Plus it was the first medal EVER for the US women is cross country skiing.
(Plus for you men - Diggins is easy on the eyes / she should be the face of these Olympics)
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."

Mo_Better_Hogs

I just saw that Diggins was chosen to carry the US flag in the closing ceremony. That's wonderful.

And another shout-out to the women's hockey team and the men's curling team for each knocking Canada out of their competitions. US women won the gold medal. And the men will go for the curling gold tomorrow.

311Hog

Quote from: Mo_Better_Hogs on February 23, 2018, 09:20:25 am
I just saw that Diggins was chosen to carry the US flag in the closing ceremony. That's wonderful.

And another shout-out to the women's hockey team and the men's curling team for each knocking Canada out of their competitions. US women won the gold medal. And the men will go for the curling gold tomorrow.

that women's gold hockey game was so good I watched it twice.  I LOVE Olympic hockey, the men's side let me down with the no NHL, but wow the women came through big time.  that game tying break away goal, the pp for the final 1:50 of OT that Maddie in Goal wow just so proud.

hoglady

Quote from: 311Hog on February 23, 2018, 09:29:08 am

that women's gold hockey game was so good I watched it twice.  I LOVE Olympic hockey, the men's side let me down with the no NHL, but wow the women came through big time.  that game tying break away goal, the pp for the final 1:50 of OT that Maddie in Goal wow just so proud.

It was one of the best hockey games I've ever seen.

hoglady

Quote from: Mo_Better_Hogs on February 23, 2018, 09:20:25 am

That's great for Diggins.
Plus if you listen to her - just seems sweet and kind and always stresses that they are a team.

Inhogswetrust

Gold in men's curling. First ever gold for the US!
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Let me say Mike Terico has done a decent job. However overall this has to be the worst coverage and broadcast of the Olympics I've ever seen. I've watched some highlights of the BBC and international coverage and they were much better.

hoglady

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on February 24, 2018, 06:40:54 am
Let me say Mike Terico has done a decent job. However overall this has to be the worst coverage and broadcast of the Olympics I’ve ever seen. I’ve watched some highlights of the BBC and international coverage and they were much better.

The coverage was very disjointed.
I recorded the events on the off channels so I could see an entire event.
The nightly primetime coverage wasn't comprehensive enough in certain events.

I will say the specific announcers in each specialty were for the most part outstanding.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: hoglady on February 24, 2018, 01:19:59 pm
The coverage was very disjointed.
I recorded the events on the off channels so I could see an entire event.
The nightly primetime coverage wasn't comprehensive enough in certain events.

I will say the specific announcers in each specialty were for the most part outstanding.

Commentators were good except I was very disappointed in Bode Millers commentary. I saw him race in person and if he was as good commenting as a skier he would have been great. He certainly went all out skiing!

hoglady

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on February 24, 2018, 01:40:07 pm
Commentators were good except I was very disappointed in Bode Millers commentary. I saw him race in person and if he was as good commenting as a skier he would have been great. He certainly went all out skiing!

I bet that was something - seeing him race.
He was spectacular in his day.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: hoglady on February 24, 2018, 07:32:24 pm
I bet that was something - seeing him race.
He was spectacular in his day.

One of the best ever. He is one of only five men to win a World Cup race in all five alpine disciplines and the only one to do so five times each. Although known for his all out attacking style in the downhill he probably is just as good in the slalom.

Mo_Better_Hogs

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on February 24, 2018, 06:39:24 am
Gold in men's curling. First ever gold for the US!

Let's give them some more love! So clutch down the stretch. This was captain John Shuster's 4TH straight Winter Olympics.

"For the U.S., the gold medal win is all the more shocking because for a long stretch during the Olympic tournament, Shuster's team was constantly on the verge of elimination."

Tejano Jawg

Quote from: hoglady on February 22, 2018, 04:19:05 pm
Yes - look up the video.
You won't be sorry - it was an incredible race by the US ladies.
The announcers were going crazy but if you watch the video you'll see why.
Plus it was the first medal EVER for the US women is cross country skiing.
(Plus for you men - Diggins is easy on the eyes / she should be the face of these Olympics)

I saw the complete video with the call a few days ago, and again tonight. The hair on the back of my neck stood up and I got choked up. So fantastic.

As you can see from my earlier posts, I appreciate the pretty faces of these Olympians, and I certainly like hers too—cute freckles too.

Something else on Diggins, check out her positive tweet after she missed a medal by 3.3 seconds in the 10KM race—
Don't be sorry for me because I just missed a medal...be happy WITH me, because I fought like a hell today! I pushed my body so far past it's limits I'm actually kind of amazed I didn't pass out on that final climb. Looking back and knowing you gave it absolutely everything you had without holding back is a great feeling. 30km of racing down...3 race days to go!

She is awesome.

hoglady

Since she was chosen by the team to carry the flag - I assume she's just as nice in person as she comes across in her interviews. All the US athletes win or lose have appeared to carry themselves well and displayed good sportsmanship.
Very proud for all of them - there are no losers in the Olympics.
They got there which makes them all winners.