Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Are the tides of change upon us?

Started by RazorHawg16, March 11, 2009, 05:39:02 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

RazorHawg16

I think it is a possibility, but I doubt it will happen. I think he will get at least another year. Does he deserve it? That is another discussion.

Albert Einswine

You deserve what you earn.  Someone above my pay grade will determine what he has earned.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

HogBreath

I hope it's the tides of change, but it really seems more like the sewer has just gotten backed up.
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

thirtythree

NO!!!!! Unless you're talking about Asst. Coaches.

lovetthog1

If Broyles were running things you could be sure we would have at least four more years of Pel regardless of his poor coaching. I'm eager to see how long handles incompetence.

thirtythree

Quote from: lovetthog1 on March 11, 2009, 06:31:48 pm
If Broyles were running things you could be sure we would have at least four more years of Pel regardless of his poor coaching. I'm eager to see how long handles incompetence.

How would you coach this team? really. Give us all your thoughts on what you would do.

want2be

Quote from: thirtythree on March 11, 2009, 06:42:00 pm
How would you coach this team? really. Give us all your thoughts on what you would do.

1) Hire the best recruiting coach available with Ark ties.......A coach named Dickey who's last stop was OK St is looking for a job and he beat us out of the player from Junction City

2) Hire another assistant like Corless, who is an up and comer and has ties to the program who can mentor this young men who are having problems on and off the court.

Pel is a fighter and he will reach out to piers he respects to get advice. Jeff long will do the same thing..........Then comes a meeting of the minds.

lovetthog1

Quote from: thirtythree on March 11, 2009, 06:42:00 pm

For starters, with such a short bench I would shorten the game so that I could spend more time in a man defense and less time in that 2-3 that gets us blistered every game. I would run a half court offense that was a little more efficient than two passes and jack a three. Also I would treat all players equally. If the same rule is violated by different players the penalty should be the same. Showing favoritism tears a team down. I would also have sets that I would run out of time outs that gave us points rather than burning timeouts to allow the other team to go on a run. I know Pel wants to run a wide open up and down offense and thats all good. But a good coach adjusts to what he has to win ball games. Pel  is not a good coach. It doesnt take a rocket scientist to see that.

donkey

Some things are the way they are because of the huge senior class that Stan left.

Other things are due to the fact that Pel and staff failed to sign a forward at either spot in last year's class that could:
a:  actually contribute before their junior year
b:  come to practice
c:  go to class
or d:  find a way to not get kicked out of juco before making it to UA

The biggest thing to me, though is not really either of those because I do think that this team could have won more games in conference as is.  I'm not a coach and I don't claim to know how to fix the problems that the team has, but I can see some of the major problems.

1.  We have about 2 players that understand how to play a 2-3 zone.  That wouldn't be as much of a crime early, but since it is pretty much the only defense we play, I would think that a good coach could have managed to teach that in an entire season. 

2.  We may not have a single player that knows how to close out on a shooter.  At what point are we going to stop having everyone set school records for three pointers when they play us. 

3.  Ball rotation on offense is almost non-existant.  We come down the floor, dribble to Washington's side, maybe have him run the same pick and roll (with no real pick, more of a stop and cut) that we've seen them run all year, and if that's not open, we just slowly pass or dribble the ball around until someone decides to drive into the paint and take a tough shot. 

I really believe that a different coach would have gotten some of that done this year and I believe those three things among others would have made the difference between 2 and 7 conference wins.   

thirtythree

Quote from: lovetthog1 on March 11, 2009, 07:02:19 pm
For starters, with such a short bench I would shorten the game so that I could spend more time in a man defense and less time in that 2-3 that gets us blistered every game. I would run a half court offense that was a little more efficient than two passes and jack a three. Also I would treat all players equally. If the same rule is violated by different players the penalty should be the same. Showing favoritism tears a team down. I would also have sets that I would run out of time outs that gave us points rather than burning timeouts to allow the other team to go on a run. I know Pel wants to run a wide open up and down offense and that's all good. But a good coach adjusts to what he has to win ball games. Pel  is not a good coach. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that.

A M2M defense will get you tired pretty quick too. That's why we played the zone quite a bit. I thought there was a good mix of up and down and set plays. Problem there was we couldn't catch a pass or make a bad one if the play went too long. What is the % of points scored coming out of timeouts. Once the ball is inbounded it is just like running an offense from a made basket. I do agree that a few times we may have made the wrong choice of the indicated scorer coming out of time outs, but other than those I didn't see a problem other than a shot just not going down.

You said it all in your first sentence, and even some commentators agree with you. A shortened bench. That is the biggest problem we have had all year. there is no other way around it. I don't know all of the off the court issues, and it is only rumor that we are hearing about favoritism and stuff. I have not seen a lick of proof, yet, that JP was unfair in his punishment of players. You have to remember, every situation is handled on a case by case basis. The rule I used was "I will treat everyone fairly, not equally." They are not equal. They are all different people and should be handled that way. Some may have been more severe in nature and others less. We have not heard details as we shouldn't. That part is none of our business, IMO.

I'm not saying your post is wrong. I am just countering it with what I think are reasonable differences with your approach.

jwhite_13

Lets think about what all has happened this year...

1.  You lose Daniel Payne because he didnt take some class he was supposed to.
2.  You lose Patrick Beverly for something that im still not sure of.
3.  You lose Montrell Mcdonald cause, ok honestly desperate and dumb recruiting move but still you lost him.
4.  You lose Marcus Monk because of something he did in the past.

Honestly, after seeing all these things are you really ready to say off with Pel.  I mean give the man a chance.  I know this year has absolutely sucked and I am as frustrated as the next fan but there are some circumstances this year that have occurred that have truly been unfortunate for our program and I still have full faith in Pel and he hanst done anything for me to think otherwise!

Mr. Porkleone

I agree with bringing Dickey on board. Corliss would be great, but has really no experienc but JR College.

lovetthog1

Quote from: thirtythree on March 11, 2009, 07:16:10 pm
A M2M defense will get you tired pretty quick too. That's why we played the zone quite a bit. I thought there was a good mix of up and down and set plays. Problem there was we couldn't catch a pass or make a bad one if the play went too long. What is the % of points scored coming out of timeouts. Once the ball is inbounded it is just like running an offense from a made basket. I do agree that a few times we may have made the wrong choice of the indicated scorer coming out of time outs, but other than those I didn't see a problem other than a shot just not going down.

You said it all in your first sentence, and even some commentators agree with you. A shortened bench. That is the biggest problem we have had all year. there is no other way around it. I don't know all of the off the court issues, and it is only rumor that we are hearing about favoritism and stuff. I have not seen a lick of proof, yet, that JP was unfair in his punishment of players. You have to remember, every situation is handled on a case by case basis. The rule I used was "I will treat everyone fairly, not equally." They are not equal. They are all different people and should be handled that way. Some may have been more severe in nature and others less. We have not heard details as we shouldn't. That part is none of our business, IMO.

I'm not saying your post is wrong. I am just countering it with what I think are reasonable differences with your approach.

I appreciate your cander. All I can offer is my opinion. To me our zone defense is horrid and our blocking out almost non-existent. To make matters worse there seems to be little if any improvement. An oppurtunity has been squandered with this young team, in my opinion. If they had utilized this season to learn to play hardnosed tough man to man defense and patience in their half court offensive sets than I would be arguing that Pel is laying a great foundation that will bring us a more versatile team in the future. As it is all he has done is lost this team and my support.

thirtythree

Quote from: lovetthog1 on March 11, 2009, 07:22:44 pm
I appreciate your cander. All I can offer is my opinion. To me our zone defense is horrid and our blocking out almost non-existent. To make matters worse there seems to be little if any improvement. An oppurtunity has been squandered with this young team, in my opinion. If they had utilized this season to learn to play hardnosed tough man to man defense and patience in their half court offensive sets than I would be arguing that Pel is laying a great foundation that will bring us a more versatile team in the future. As it is all he has done is lost this team and my support.

I kind of look at it like a chain reaction. One thing leads to another and then they sprout off to other things. I'm just talking about the game. None of the oter stuff.

IMO, it all starts with lack of depth. We build a great 1st half lead. Well, they busted their tails to get it and now they are pretty worn out. With no quality depth to give them a rest the leads squandered. They play their tails off to come back a little and then their minds are just blown. They start making critical errors that they wouldn't normally make. It's just a trickle down effect to me.

tolerati

thirtythree, you make a good point. But at what point does a good coach recognize all that you said and make adjustments accordingly? The goal of playing games is to win.
"Show me a quarterback who isn't cocky, and I'll show you a quarterback who isn't worth a damn." - Darrell Royal

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: lovetthog1 on March 11, 2009, 06:31:48 pm
If Broyles John White was were running things you could be sure we would have at least four more years of Pel regardless of his poor coaching. I'm eager to see how long handles incompetence.

Fixed that for you.

thirtythree

Quote from: tolerati on March 11, 2009, 07:34:38 pm
thirtythree, you make a good point. But at what point does a good coach recognize all that you said and make adjustments accordingly? The goal of playing games is to win.

I agree. There is only so much one can do with the "quality" of depth that this "very young' team has on it.

Do they take a chance and play down in the 1st half to save gas for the 2nd? I don't know. It's hard to tell players to constantly play a slow down style of offense. it's hard to create momentum that way. I guess you could play devils advocate and say the other team couldn't as well. the problem I see there is a lot of the teams we played are just much bigger ad more depth they kind of forced us into their game sometimes.

Losing Monk really killed us and I think it killed some of the players spirit. You would have to think that they knew he was a big reason they were winning or even in games. I would agree with them if that was their stance.

The coach is the coach. He knows his players better than any of us. He watches their practices and knows what they are capable of if they give a good effort in practice.

Sorry I rambled. To answer your question directly. When he gets a couple more players that can help. I don't honestly think he could have done much different this year with this group. I really don't. I do think he will be the guy given the proper amount of time.

lovetthog1

I think this team has some really good talent. When everyone is on we are a really tough team to beat. I honestly don't think depth is the problem so much as its just one problem. I base this on my experience. As a senior in high school I was the only one who could play point. It was a small school so I don't flatter myself about my ability. I do know that I played every minute of every game all year except when I got the technical for telling the ref he was blind... Ha. Which he was it was a clean steal. We were not a deep team at all and we won our conference. Of course I know it was not the SEC but I also know that these guys should be in much better shape than I was.

thirtythree

Quote from: lovetthog1 on March 11, 2009, 07:52:59 pm
I think this team has some really good talent. When everyone is on we are a really tough team to beat. I honestly don't think depth is the problem so much as its just one problem. I base this on my experience. As a senior in high school I was the only one who could play point. It was a small school so I don't flatter myself about my ability. I do know that I played every minute of every game all year except when I got the technical for telling the ref he was blind... Ha. Which he was it was a clean steal. We were not a deep team at all and we won our conference. Of course I know it was not the SEC but I also know that these guys should be in much better shape than I was.

I almost stopped reading your post. Glad I didn't.  :)

Depth is only one problem. I just think it is the problem that has led to other problems. Fix the depth and I think you fix a lot of this team.

PoormansRobbyHampton

Quote from: jwhite_13 on March 11, 2009, 07:19:39 pm
Lets think about what all has happened this year...

1.  You lose Daniel Payne because he didnt take some class he was supposed to.
2.  You lose Patrick Beverly for something that im still not sure of.
3.  You lose Montrell Mcdonald cause, ok honestly desperate and dumb recruiting move but still you lost him.
4.  You lose Marcus Monk because of something he did in the past.

Honestly, after seeing all these things are you really ready to say off with Pel.  I mean give the man a chance.  I know this year has absolutely sucked and I am as frustrated as the next fan but there are some circumstances this year that have occurred that have truly been unfortunate for our program and I still have full faith in Pel and he hanst done anything for me to think otherwise!

Ok, but noone was counting on Monk in the pre-season. It should be that anything we got from him would be gravy, he should have never been a key cog in our machine.

lovetthog1

Quote from: thirtythree on March 11, 2009, 08:01:12 pm
I almost stopped reading your post. Glad I didn't.  :)

Depth is only one problem. I just think it is the problem that has led to other problems. Fix the depth and I think you fix a lot of this team.

I think thats what makes this situation so tough. Perspective might be making it hard for either of us to be objective, but we all want the Hogs to do well. The program has been down so long, that this thing really needs to be handled properly. If Pel can get it done I will be happy to eat crow. I would do so with a smile on my face because trust me this is one time I would love to be wrong. Oh well I guess we will see.