Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

These next two months will tell all about the future of our program...

Started by UAfan, March 11, 2009, 02:27:14 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

UAfan

I've said this before.  Jeff Long has two decisions to make, and they need to be made this year:
1. Move on with a new coach, and a proven one at that.  This program is too good and has enough resources to hire someone who has proven he can win at this level.
2.  If the decision is made that he stays, give Pel 2-3 more years, but not without some staff shakeups and a team policy that is consistent throughout his tenure.
The reason I say a decision must be made this year is because the in-state and potential recruits for 2010-2011 are too good and too critical to fire a coach next year.  If you fire him this year the new coach will be able to establish a relationship with these players and their coaches.

I have full faith in Jeff Long and I gotta believe that a scenario similar to this is running through his head. 

This team needs to finish well, and these coaches have to go harder at recruiting. Period.  2-14 is unacceptable no matter what kind of rebuilding year you are in.  I believe Pel can right this ship, but he has to be more consistent with recruiting and discipline.

donewithdale

I agree that the next two months will determine Pel's future here if he is allowed to stay through that time. 

1. We hired one last time that ran screaming away.  I agree that we should be able to hire a capable coach that should be able to recruit players with both talent and the discipline to be law abiding college students. 

2. If we give Pel the late signing period, then we are giving him next season.  Next season is likely still not going to be up to our standards so might as well give him 2 years to see if he can rebuild or fire him now.  Forcing staff changes usually just delays the inevitable and shows a lack of trust in the head coach's ability to run the program anyway.

We have heard many times over how great the state's upcoming classes are going to be.  Rarely do they turn out to be more than one high D1 recruit and a bunch of mid major level recruits.