Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Will you be happy with 5 or 6 SEC wins next year?

Started by HawgTide, March 11, 2009, 11:32:00 am

Previous topic - Next topic

HawgTide

I know some people think that would be good improvement but is it enough?Personally,I expect more.5-11 or 6-10 is still crappy no matter what happened the previous season.That's like going from bowling a 80 to a 100 -- you still bite.

Pelphrey's SEC record is 11-21 right now.If he only wins 5 conference games next year his record after three seasons would be a pitiful 16-32.I don't think he could survive that unless all the off the court problems are cleaned up and recruiting is kicking butt.

I'm ready for Razorback basketball to be strong again.I don't care who the coach is that takes us there.

lovetthog1

Of course I will not be happy with a loosing record next year. I will be even more unhappy if Pel is back next year. It may take time to build a program, but its painfully obvious now that no amount of time is gonna make Pel an SEC caliber coach.

Hoggy1

You must be smokin somethin if you think I ain't smokin nothin

Oliver

Quote from: Tomhog™ on March 11, 2009, 11:34:27 am
I will not be happy with a losing conference record, period.  But, next year I am expecting it.

Ditto.

alaback

Hog Milanese

I am dis-satisfied with anything less than 8 SEC wins in basketball. No excuse with the facilities, fan base, history, A.D., etc. we have.

donewithdale

No.  Why would any Hog fan be 'happy'?  But I too expect that may be a best case if Wash returns and and if Powell and Farmer are here. 

The Boar War

If there was ever a year where five or six conference wins would be acceptable it was this year, not next. 

Hot_Town_Hog

With any breaks at all, we could easily have 5 wins this year. Given that, I wouldn't call 5 or 6 wins next year any improvement and would certainly not be happy.

I have been supportive and overly optimistic at times, but it is more apparent than ever that this team has serious issues which have resulted in poor team chemistry. The OU/Texas wins were upsets for sure, but something has changed dramatically with this team since conference play started.

The talent is there for this team to be better than 2-14, but without team chemistry and respect for the Coach you aren't going to win many games.

Put me in the growing category of fans that don't know what to think anymore. All I know is that it seems to get worse by the day.

HawgTide

I have seen it posted on here and heard people say the would be happy with 5-6 SEC wins next year.I don't agree.

HawgTide

Quote from: donewithdale on March 11, 2009, 01:05:59 pm
No.  Why would any Hog fan be 'happy'?  But I too expect that may be a best case if Wash returns and and if Powell and Farmer are here. 
You expect 5-6 SEC wins next year to be the  best case scenario?What is your worst case?

3kgthog

Would you guys accept another bad season if it meant our team was free of class skippers and lawbreakers? I would.

donewithdale

Quote from: NEVERWAS1 on March 11, 2009, 01:51:30 pm
You expect 5-6 SEC wins next year to be the  best case scenario?What is your worst case?

You want a worst case?  A couple of the following 5 players aren't here: Henry, Fortson, Wash, Powell, Farmer (or maybe it would be better if one or two aren't) We somehow manage to get a couple of conference wins again but the non conference season doesn't turn out as well.  We lose to a mid major or two with no 'big' upsets and enter the SEC 9-4 which results in something like an 11-18 season. 

Now, something extraordinary could happen after the season.  My best case earlier was without the addition of a contributing late recruit and assuming Henry probably won't be here.  We could somehow find another recruit that could contribute at an SEC level at F or as a big guard.  Everyone could be eligible and get their heads right and decide they want to do the right thing on and off the court.  Fortson stays healthy since he would still be our only PG.  Farmer, this late recruit and Powell plus Henry gives us enough bigger and more athletic defensive options that we can matchup and maybe even play more full court.  Fortson's shot improves a little so defenses have to respect it and step out.  This best case scenario is probably more of a dream than reality.

Hot_Town_Hog

Quote from: 3kgthog on March 11, 2009, 02:06:51 pm
Would you guys accept another bad season if it meant our team was free of class skippers and lawbreakers? I would.

In a perfect world that would be great, but I am not sure that will ever be the case. As someone pointed out recently, we had several incidents with some of Nolans's better teams and one in particular that could have been devastating to the team. Nolan found a way to deal with the issues behind the scenes and for the most part I think everyone learned from their mistakes.

You might get that at Duke, but there aren't many other schools out there where that is a reasonable expectation.

hogsanity

Quote from: Hog Milanese on March 11, 2009, 12:59:34 pm
I am dis-satisfied with anything less than 8 SEC wins in basketball. No excuse with the facilities, fan base, history, A.D., etc. we have.

That list is missing one key element............SEC CALIBRE PLAYERS!!!!!!!!!
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Niels Boar

Clear progress, especially on defense, and a good Fall class is what I will be looking for.  A lot of the angst about this year's performance is caused by uncertainty in next year's roster.  I doubt there would be much dissatisfaction if we had a top 10 class in the wings.  My guess is the same will be true next season.  What will be acceptable will be a function of what looks possible the following season.  If recruiting looks iffy next Fall, I imagine Pel will need to show some proof that next year's newcomers are better than many expect.

Hot_Town_Hog

Quote from: Niels Boar on March 11, 2009, 02:37:56 pm
Clear progress, especially on defense, and a good Fall class is what I will be looking for.  A lot of the angst about this year's performance is caused by uncertainty in next year's roster.  I doubt there would be much dissatisfaction if we had a top 10 class in the wings.  My guess is the same will be true next season.  What will be acceptable will be a function of what looks possible the following season.  If recruiting looks iffy next Fall, I imagine Pel will need to show some proof that next year's newcomers are better than many expect.

This sums it up for many IMO....It is the uncertainty of what we have coming in next year that has me the most anxious.

The goal should never be to have a losing conference record, regardless of youth or perceived talent.

rzrbackrob

My baseline for happiness is to win the West, be in the running for the SEC championship till the final weekend, make the NCAA tournament as a 4 seed or better, and make a run in the tournament.
I don't see any of those things happening next year so I will say that I expect next years out of conference record to be slightly worse,  and the SEC record to be slightly better.
Good is the enemy of great

sirhog

I am not looking at the number of wins as much as I am looking to see if most of the off the court issues are gone and if we are improving throughout the year. Whatever is going on it needs to be cleaned up. Then I think you will see the wins go up to a reasonable number.

PoormansRobbyHampton

Quote from: sirhog on March 11, 2009, 05:48:01 pm
I am not looking at the number of wins as much as I am looking to see if most of the off the court issues are gone and if we are improving throughout the year. Whatever is going on it needs to be cleaned up. Then I think you will see the wins go up to a reasonable number.

I wouldn't be "happy" with 5-6, but I would be encouraged as far as the direction, especially after the awful crap-smellin' foulness that this season was.

But wins won't be enough, more off the court stuff will be trouble.

tolerati

"Show me a quarterback who isn't cocky, and I'll show you a quarterback who isn't worth a damn." - Darrell Royal

Rhog

No, but if Pelphrey is still here and I am sure he will be, we can expect not better than 5 or 6 wins.