Mike Anderson

Started by Porkatarian, March 09, 2009, 09:07:30 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Porkatarian

I think Mike is a GREAT coach.

Porkatarian out...
"I came here to win the SEC and that is exactly what we are going to do."

RazorHawg16

Now if we could only decipher what all your post meant.....

PorkRyan

This feels like an episode of Lost

RazorHawg16

Quote from: PorkRyan on March 09, 2009, 09:10:55 pm
This feels like an episode of Lost
I hope its not 8 seasons!!!!

Baconator

I sure wish Mike Anderson wore cardinal and white ties on the bench.

Marshfieldhog

Let me get this straight, is Mike going to be our next coach after Pel is deep sixed next week?  :-\

SLC

I need your truthful reply - lie, I will know it... and death will be no respite.

regi

Quote from: Porkatarian on March 09, 2009, 09:07:30 pm

If he ends up in Tuscaloosa, I'll slap the p!$$ out of Frank.

The Truth

I agree.

I posted this in another thread, but maybe it's worth repeating:

Anderson at UAB
2003: 21-13, NIT Quarters
2004: 26-10, NCAA Sweet 16
2005: 22-11, NCAA Second Round
2006: 24-7, NCAA first round

Anderson at Mizzou
2007: 18-12 (7-9 Big 12)
2008: 16-16 (6-10)
2009: 25-5 (12-3), probable high seed in NCAA tournament

Arkansas under Heath and Pel:

2003: 9-19 (4-12 SEC)
2004: 12-16 (4-12)
2005: 18-12 (6-10)
2006: 22-10 (10-6), NCAA first round
2007: 21-14 (7-9) NCAA first round
2008: 23-12 (9-7), NCAA second round
2009: 14-15 (2-14), worst season in UA's SEC history

Mike Anderson's NCAA tournament record as a head coach: 3-3, including a Sweet 16 in 2004

Arkansas' NCAA tournament record over the past 7 seasons: 1-3
The Truth hurts.

CallMeAl

Hog since birth.

regi

Quote from: The Truth on March 09, 2009, 09:13:34 pm
I agree.

I posted this in another thread, but maybe it's worth repeating:

Anderson at UAB
2003: 21-13, NIT Quarters
2004: 26-10, NCAA Sweet 16
2005: 22-11, NCAA Second Round
2006: 24-7, NCAA first round

Anderson at Mizzou
2007: 18-12 (7-9 Big 12)
2008: 16-16 (6-10)
2009: 25-5 (12-3), probable high seed in NCAA tournament

Arkansas under Heath and Pel:

2003: 9-19 (4-12 SEC)
2004: 12-16 (4-12)
2005: 18-12 (6-10)
2006: 22-10 (10-6), NCAA first round
2007: 21-14 (7-9) NCAA first round
2008: 23-12 (9-7), NCAA second round
2009: 14-15 (2-14), worst season in UA's SEC history

Mike Anderson's NCAA tournament record as a head coach: 3-3, including a Sweet 16 in 2004

Arkansas' NCAA tournament record over the past 7 seasons: 1-3

In 08, didn't they have major suspensions due to a bar fight or something?

eathill5

I think Steven Hill is Tall!
Quote from: KlubhouseKonnected on December 30, 2010, 02:51:51 am
He is a bad person... I read this thread specifically to say this.
Gus doesn't love Arkansas, you, or Jesus. Only Gus.
Get over it.
Quote from: swoopeshog on January 08, 2011, 09:36:34 pm
guvhog and band geek are both idiots

jamie72921

John Wooden............

won't sign autographs anymore.

Jamie out.........
Bless your heart

HawgAdvocate

Great coach, mediocre recruiter.

After seniors Carroll and Lyons leave, he's got nothing.

"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: RazorHawg16 on March 09, 2009, 09:09:59 pm
Now if we could only decipher what all your post meant.....
Quote from: Marshfieldhog on March 09, 2009, 09:13:08 pm
Let me get this straight, is Mike going to be our next coach after Pel is deep sixed next week?  :-\

No, it doesn't mean anything.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

donewithdale

good coach, average recruiter, and the attack and hack often gets killed on the road - no surprise they were blownout at KU and lost by double digits at A&M in 2 of their last 3 games and won the home game

UAfan

My obvious guess concerning Pork's posts.  He believes Pel is gone, Long hires Anderson. 

Just tell us Pork.  I got work in the morning.

RazorHawg16

Quote from: UAfan on March 09, 2009, 09:18:31 pm
My obvious guess concerning Pork's posts.  He believes Pel is gone, Long hires Anderson. 

Just tell us Pork.  I got work in the morning.
WORD

HgH

Mizzou is a way better BB school than Bama..Mike needs to stay where he is

ruarealhogfan

nice guy, decent coach, has a nice team in 3rd year of development...nice that he went to the sweet 16...didn't Heath go to the elite 8? just sayin

Anderson likely has a 2 weekend run in the NCAA tourney this year. (Not that I assume he comes to Arkansas afterwards)

UAfan

Quote from: HgH on March 09, 2009, 09:23:06 pm
Mizzou is a way better BB school than Bama..Mike needs to stay where he is
With the athletes in the SEC and the style of play Mike plays, he would thrive at Bama.  He's leaving if he gets the offer imo.

donewithdale

Quote from: UAfan on March 09, 2009, 09:26:02 pm
With the athletes in the SEC and the style of play Mike plays, he would thrive at Bama.  He's leaving if he gets the offer imo.

How many more nephews and cousins does he have to recruit?  Nah, SEC officiating would kill that style especially on the road.  Its more reach and hack than even the "organized chaos" Pearl chokes with.  At least we would be guaranteed an SEC home win(probably double digit) every season.

jamie72921

Quote from: donewithdale on March 09, 2009, 09:18:19 pm
good coach, average recruiter, and the attack and hack often gets killed on the road - no surprise they were blownout at KU and lost by double digits at A&M in 2 of their last 3 games and won the home game

Please, share with us what style of play is best for road games.
Bless your heart

HgH

Quote from: UAfan on March 09, 2009, 09:26:02 pm
The Big-12 is pretty good too..Ihope he stays at Mizzou unless Pel gets Whacked.

UAfan

Quote from: donewithdale on March 09, 2009, 09:28:41 pm
How many more nephews and cousins does he have to recruit?  Nah, SEC officiating would kill that style especially on the road.  Its more reach and hack than even the "organized chaos" Pearl chokes with.  At least we would be guaranteed an SEC home win(probably double digit) every season.
Last time I checked Pearl won the East this year.

Coondog Hog

Quote from: donewithdale on March 09, 2009, 09:28:41 pm
Nobody here thinks he is the greatest, but he is better than most.   You're selling his ability and success short.  He should have gotten an oppourtunity here long ago.
'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.'
  - Ronald Reagan

'If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.' -
-Ronald Reagan
Quote from: mmhogs17 on March 08, 2011, 11:02:18 pm
I've had alot of things in and out of my butt, but never Monkeys..

donewithdale

Quote from: UAfan on March 09, 2009, 09:31:02 pm
Last time I checked Pearl won the East this year.

I've said it here before, if all our goal is is to make the NCAAT, Mike could do it here.  Great guy and good coach.  I thought we wanted a program that would make it to national prominence again and be a legit threat to reach a Final 4. 

And choker Pearl probably did win the East.  And he underachieved again in March losing in the SECT before the finals and got embarassed by Pitino who showed him how up tempo is played.  Tenn's performance in that game was one of the worst, most unorganized and poorest fundamental efforts I have seen in the NCAAT.  Would that be something we would be happy with?

UAfan

Quote from: donewithdale on March 09, 2009, 09:38:34 pm
I've said it here before, if all our goal is is to make the NCAAT, Mike could do it here.  Great guy and good coach.  I thought we wanted a program that would make it to national prominence again and be a legit threat to reach a Final 4. 

And choker Pearl probably did win the East.  And he underachieved again in March losing in the SECT before the finals and got embarassed by Pitino who showed him how up tempo is played.  Tenn's performance in that game was one of the worst, most unorganized and poorest fundamental efforts I have seen in the NCAAT.  Would that be something we would be happy with?
It's a start.  You need to get it through your skull that this isn't 1996.  Pearl can recruit, and he can win a very competitive East at a school like Tenn. who is and always will be a football school.

donewithdale

Quote from: UAfan on March 09, 2009, 09:40:30 pm
It's a start.  You need to get it through your skull that this isn't 1996.  Pearl can recruit, and he can win a very competitive East at a school like Tenn. who is and always will be a football school.

LOL - I need to get it that its not 1996?  o k   

Heath had us 'started' then if all we wanted was to reach the NCAAT.

Oliver

Quote from: donewithdale on March 09, 2009, 09:38:34 pm

Although I don't agree with them, about 60% of this board have been saying that no coach in their right minds would come here if we fired Pelphrey, I think that kind of limits us getting a coach that would be legit threat to get us to the Final 4.

Using that poor little ole' Arkansas mindframe, Mike Anderson would probably be one of the better candidates if this situation did come to fruition.

WilsonHog

HogTuba

Quote from: Oliver Miller on March 09, 2009, 09:43:43 pm
Although I don't agree with them, about 60% of this board have been saying that no coach in their right minds would come here if we fired Pelphrey, I think that kind of limits us getting a coach that would be legit threat to get us to the Final 4.

Using that poor little ole' Arkansas mindframe, Mike Anderson would probably be one of the better candidates if this situation did come to fruition.

While I don't think we should--at all--fire Pel, what if it's not because he underachieved?  What if it's due to off the court issues?  What I'm saying is, what if it's a legit fire?  I hope he isn't fired because I truly think he can get it done.  But if there's all this speculation, does it still hurt us to fire someone who deserves to be fired?
S-A-S-N-A-K--RA

UAfan

Quote from: donewithdale on March 09, 2009, 09:42:40 pm
LOL - I need to get it that its not 1996?  o k   

Heath had us 'started' then if all we wanted was to reach the NCAAT.
Heath didn't touch the success that Pearl has.  Pearl took a program as bad as UA's at that point and has turned them into a national contender in recruiting and play. 

By no means am I saying that Pel needs to go.  I think he needs more time, but if it does come to a coaching search, I think Mike has got to be at the top.

donewithdale

Quote from: Oliver Miller on March 09, 2009, 09:43:43 pm

I don't agree no coach would come because we fired Pel.  There may be a few scared by Altman leaving and now everything falling apart two years later.  They'll wonder what Altman found.  Now I don't know why any coach at a solid Big East, ACC, Big 12 or Pac 10 program would come here but you never know.  Someone like Sendek may listen to a program whose fans actually care about the team.  But our fans wouldn't buy into him especially if someone floated the rumor we could have had Coach A.  He is our fans last desperate grasp to rekindle the glory days.  If a change needs to be made, lets go ahead and get this Anderson experiment over with I guess.  He is a good guy and a good coach and our fans would be happy for a few seasons probably. 

donewithdale

Quote from: UAfan on March 09, 2009, 09:50:48 pm
Heath didn't touch the success that Pearl has.  Pearl took a program as bad as UA's at that point and has turned them into a national contender in recruiting and play.

Where are you going?  Come back to the path.  I wasn't comparing Heath to Pearl.

Oliver

Quote from: HogTuba on March 09, 2009, 09:46:51 pm
While I don't think we should--at all--fire Pel, what if it's not because he underachieved?  What if it's due to off the court issues?  What I'm saying is, what if it's a legit fire?  I hope he isn't fired because I truly think he can get it done.  But if there's all this speculation, does it still hurt us to fire someone who deserves to be fired?

Well, I don't know everything that's going on.  But if there is a LEGIT reason to fire Pelphrey, then it needs to be done.  I mean we're 2-14 in conference play, a sub .500 team overall, and apparently have a lot of off the court issues.  I seriously doubt the media would even care what we're doing right now we're so irrelevant.  But even Doug Gottlieb said on the radio the other day that our program was a disaster right now. 

This isn't going to be seen like a misconception of us firing a 10 win Houston Nutt coach.  And if there are some coaches saying, "Gosh, I'm not going to Arkansas because if I go 2-14, sub .500, and have a ton of off the court issues, then they'll fire me." then I don't want those guys near my program anyway.

Oliver

Quote from: donewithdale on March 09, 2009, 09:50:49 pm
I don't agree no coach would come because we fired Pel.  There may be a few scared by Altman leaving and now everything falling apart two years later.  They'll wonder what Altman found.  Now I don't know why any coach at a solid Big East, ACC, Big 12 or Pac 10 program would come here but you never know.  Someone like Sendek may listen to a program whose fans actually care about the team.  But our fans wouldn't buy into him especially if someone floated the rumor we could have had Coach A.  He is our fans last desperate grasp to rekindle the glory days.  If a change needs to be made, lets go ahead and get this Anderson experiment over with I guess.  He is a good guy and a good coach and our fans would be happy for a few seasons probably. 

Mike Anderson wouldn't be on the top of my list either.  But then again the people on the top of my list could be completely disinterested in our job.  If I had to make a top 10 list, Anderson would be on my list.  He's certainly not another up and comer which would be a big improvement from what we've had the last 10 years.

HogTuba

March 09, 2009, 09:56:01 pm #38 Last Edit: March 09, 2009, 09:58:02 pm by HogTuba
Quote from: Oliver Miller on March 09, 2009, 09:52:01 pm
Well, I don't know everything that's going on.  But if there is a LEGIT reason to fire Pelphrey, then it needs to be done.  I mean we're 2-14 in conference play, a sub .500 team overall, and apparently have a lot of off the court issues.  I seriously doubt the media would even care what we're doing right now we're so irrelevant.  But even Doug Gottlieb said on the radio the other day that our program was a disaster right now. 

This isn't going to be seen like a misconception of us firing a 10 win Houston Nutt coach.  And if there are some coaches saying, "Gosh, I'm not going to Arkansas because if I go 2-14, sub .500, and have a ton of off the court issues, then they'll fire me." then I don't want those guys near my program anyway.

Which I agree with.  If he's messing up our program, then he needs to go.  We're a basketball school I think and we have the success, tradition, and facilities to back up our actions.  I'd prefer it not to end this way, but our administration needs to do what is best for the program and the school, not what makes us look good to the media.  Frankly, the media's going to crap all over us no matter what we do.
S-A-S-N-A-K--RA

HawgnCorona

March 09, 2009, 09:58:28 pm #39 Last Edit: March 09, 2009, 09:59:59 pm by HawgnCorona
Oliver, do you know if Gottliebs comments were referencing the on court or off court issues?
Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all your getting, get understanding." --   Proverbs 4:7

"Live justly, love mercy and to walk humbly with the Most High."-- Micah 6:8

UAfan

Quote from: donewithdale on March 09, 2009, 09:51:37 pm
Where are you going?  Come back to the path.  I wasn't comparing Heath to Pearl.
My point is Pearl is a helluva coach, and if Pearl can do it in 3 or whatever years at Tennessee.  No doubt Mike could do it at UA.  You can't say that Pearl "chokes" if he doesn't win the SEC tourney.  Nolan won once!

Oliver

Quote from: HawgnCorona on March 09, 2009, 09:58:28 pm
Oliver, do you know if Gottliebs comments referencing the on court or off court issues?

He didn't specify. 

mathhog

Quote from: UAfan on March 09, 2009, 09:50:48 pm

By no means am I saying that Pel needs to go.  I think he needs more time, but if it does come to a coaching search, I think Mike has got to be at the top.

really?  take 06 for example.  hogs have 22 wins, pearl has 21 wins.  stan gets a freaking 8 seed, tennie gets a 2 seed.  and that's AFTER losing on day 1 of the secT.  perhaps pearl gets some 'breaks' because he paints his stomach?   

he's not right for us.  he's good to get you to the ncaat, but chokes in EVERY big game.  he's 0-3 in the sectourney, he's struggled in EVERY ncaa game he took ut to, including a blowout loss to wichita state, he blew a 20 pt lead to ohio state and was crushed by 20 last year to louisville.  keep in mind ut has underperformed as a 2 or 4 or 5 seed... always getting the media darling push.  we've lost who we were 'supposed' to lose to (on paper in the bracket), and beaten the teams we should.

pearl = HDN of college basketball.  never won anything that mattered, chokes in any big game.

mathhog

Quote from: Porkatarian on March 09, 2009, 09:07:30 pm

Porkatarian out...

i don't want mike anderson. 

again, this isn't happening.  you think ostrum is bad at recruiting?  wait till we get mike back.  yeah, i think tj cleveland used up all his elgibility years ago.

look at the 02 roster. other than joe johnson, who would be a hog if mohammed atta was the coach, what 'sec players' did mike bring in?

as is said before, mike is a good coach, but not at all a great one.

the hand check rule, and the 'away game' problem of hacking nullifies the old '94 era.  unless mike's other nephew has a pipeline to memphis that is more enticing than fedex $$$, we'll be back to a roster better known as the Fightin' Alonzo Lanes.

repeat after me, Pel is the coach of the hogs.  he will be the coach the ENTIRETY of 2009.  jeff long is not firing pel in 2009.  "bank on it".

UAfan

Quote from: mathhog on March 09, 2009, 09:59:48 pm
really?  take 06 for example.  hogs have 22 wins, pearl has 21 wins.  stan gets a freaking 8 seed, tennie gets a 2 seed.  and that's AFTER losing on day 1 of the secT.  perhaps pearl gets some 'breaks' because he paints his stomach?   

he's not right for us.  he's good to get you to the ncaat, but chokes in EVERY big game.  he's 0-3 in the sectourney, he's struggled in EVERY ncaa game he took ut to, including a blowout loss to wichita state, he blew a 20 pt lead to ohio state and was crushed by 20 last year to louisville.  keep in mind ut has underperformed as a 2 or 4 or 5 seed... always getting the media darling push.  we've lost who we were 'supposed' to lose to (on paper in the bracket), and beaten the teams we should.

pearl = HDN of college basketball.  never won anything that mattered, chokes in any big game.
Read before you post.  I'm not saying I want Pearl at UA.  What I'm saying is his style, like Mike's thrives in the SEC. 

Your argument about Pearl choking is stupid.  Who cares about the SEC tourney if you're a lock for the NCAA.  He took Tennie to the sweet 16 in his second and third years at UT.  A freaking football school first, second, and third.  Basketball fourth.  We haven't sniffed the sweet 16 in nearly a decade.  A school until recently was a dominant basketball school.

WilsonHog

Quote from: UAfan on March 09, 2009, 10:04:46 pm
Read before you post.  I'm not saying I want Pearl at UA.  What I'm saying is his style, like Mike's thrives in the SEC. 

Your argument about Pearl choking is stupid.  Who cares about the SEC tourney if you're a lock for the NCAA.  He took Tennie to the sweet 16 in his second and third years at UT.  A freaking football school first, second, and third.  Basketball fourth.  We haven't sniffed the sweet 16 in nearly a decade.  A school until recently was a dominant basketball school.

Tennessee hasn't been anything since the Bernie and Ernie Show left town about the same time as the Triplets left UA. That's only been what, three decades ago? And Pearl has them in the Sweet Sixteen in his second and third seasons?

Yeah, he sucks alright.

mathhog

Quote from: UAfan on March 09, 2009, 10:04:46 pm

dude, calm down... read before YOU post.  i said keep in mind pearl did this as a 2 seed, 4 seed, etc.....  if arkansas won 30 games (as tennie did last year) and was a 2 seed, wouldn't you be P#$#@ed if we got BLOWN OUT by 25 by a lower seed in the sweet 16?  and the year before, if arkansas had a 20 points SECOND HALF lead in the sweet 16.... and still lost?  and they year before that, if arkansas was a 2 seed, and got BLOWN OUT by 20 points to 10 seed wichita state?

im not attacking you, but saying pearl doesn't choke is insane.

tennie had TWO different 2 seeds, won 30 games, and have nothing to show for it but choking. 

if pel had that record in the NCAA (2 seed-->but lose by 20 to a 10 seed;  win 30 games and 2 seed--> but lose by 25 to a lower seed; sweet sixteen-->somehow lose 20 point SECOND half lead) he would be hearing major grumblings.  but the vols are just happy to be in the tourney.

stronguard

Mike had his shot as defacto head coach the last 4 years of Nolan.  It's when our slide from greatness began.   Mizzou looks good now, but only because the B12 isn't used to that style of ball.  Once the B12 gets used to Mike's version of 40MOH,  Mizzou will slip back down into above averageness (is that a word?)

Pel needs at least another year to show what he can do.  The lynch mob needs to stand down.  The same tactics that were needed after 10 years of NuttyBuddy shouldn't be implemented after 2 years of Pel.  We will improve next year, and you will see a different style of play.  To do that, we need to go 11 or 12 deep.  We'll get there if the buffoons that keep calling for Pel's job will quiet down.
If you don't know, now you know.

Chief Idiot of the Tavern

"Woke" is a term made up by people who have appointed themselves as intellectually superior as a way to describe themselves in comparison with those whom they deem ignorant.

UAfan

Quote from: mathhog on March 09, 2009, 10:11:51 pm
dude, calm down... read before YOU post.  i said keep in mind pearl did this as a 2 seed, 4 seed, etc.....  if arkansas won 30 games (as tennie did last year) and was a 2 seed, wouldn't you be P#$#@ed if we got BLOWN OUT by 25 by a lower seed in the sweet 16?  and the year before, if arkansas had a 20 points SECOND HALF lead in the sweet 16.... and still lost?  and they year before that, if arkansas was a 2 seed, and got BLOWN OUT by 20 points to 10 seed wichita state?

im not attacking you, but saying pearl doesn't choke is insane.

tennie had TWO different 2 seeds, won 30 games, and have nothing to show for it but choking. 

if pel had that record in the NCAA (2 seed-->but lose by 20 to a 10 seed;  win 30 games and 2 seed--> but lose by 25 to a lower seed; sweet sixteen-->somehow lose 20 point SECOND half lead) he would be hearing major grumblings.  but the vols are just happy to be in the tourney.
The point is we weren't.  We haven't been that relevant since the 90's.  What I'm saying is at this point I would be thrilled with a sweet 16 appearance.  The SEC doesn't matter when you're a lock. 

mathhog

Quote from: stronguard on March 09, 2009, 10:12:45 pm
Mike had his shot as defacto head coach the last 4 years of Nolan.  It's when our slide from greatness began.   Mizzou looks good now, but only because the B12 isn't used to that style of ball.  Once the B12 gets used to Mike's version of 40MOH,  Mizzou will slip back down into above averageness (is that a word?)

Pel needs at least another year to show what he can do.  The lynch mob needs to stand down.  The same tactics that were needed after 10 years of NuttyBuddy shouldn't be implemented after 2 years of Pel.  We will improve next year, and you will see a different style of play.  To do that, we need to go 11 or 12 deep.  We'll get there if the buffoons that keep calling for Pel's job will quiet down.
+1,000,000,000.   I LIKE MIKE, and he was SHAFTED by the U ofA, but his recruiting prowess landed satchell, baker, eddins, and lane.  not good.  if the trendy complaint on jump ball is "PEL CANT RECRUIT!" why oh why would we get a guy that can't do exactly that???