Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

For Anybody Worried About Replacing The Basketball Coach...

Started by Teddyhawgeddy, March 09, 2009, 11:23:28 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Teddyhawgeddy

Please remember that John was a product of the Broyles-White Feud...He was at best the 4th choice for the position. The next hire will be done by a professional who will use a vast network and not waste money on a "head-hunter". Also we will not have a self imposed deadline of the first weekend in April so our AD can be at Augusta.

thirtythree

rude1

Quote from: thirtythree on March 09, 2009, 12:49:17 pm
That is assuming there is a replcement anytime soon.
I think that is a pretty fair assumption based on what we have seen up to this point. I wouldn't exactly call it far fetched would you?

newera

I don't want to hear anything about coaching searches. All i want is a surprise new coach, maybe coach K, or John Wooden. In all honesty i don't think Pel deserves to get fired yet; however, if we can upgrade the coach I wont complain. Sorry Pel, it's not that I don't think you aren't trying, but If there's a better man for the job, we need him.
I'm a diverse all sports fan... Razorbacks, Lipscomb Bisons (NCAA), Portland Timbers (MLS), Tennessee Titans, Nashville Predators, Barcelona (La Liga), Arsenal (EPL), and Sacramento Kings.

thirtythree

Quote from: rude1 on March 09, 2009, 12:53:03 pm
I think that is a pretty fair assumption based on what we have seen up to this point. I wouldn't exactly call it far fetched would you?

No. Not right now I don't. Until he has been given a "fair" amount of time my opinion will be he is the guy. I hate losing more than anyone. I look at it realistically though.

Saying that to say this. If, the off the court problems are in fact true and proven true (not by message board junkies) and he doesn't take the appropriate action then I will say there needs to be a change.

There is a difference between being a "new" coach turning a program around and letting anything fly with no discipline.

bigarrazorback

Some of you people crack me up give the guy a break. i mean last year you were singing his praises talking about how we just got a home run coach and now he has 1 bad year and you are calling for his head and grabbing your pitch forks and torches starting an angry mob give me a break

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: bigarrazorback on March 09, 2009, 04:14:51 pm
Some of you people crack me up give the guy a break. i mean last year you were singing his praises talking about how we just got a home run coach and now he has 1 bad year and you are calling for his head and grabbing your pitch forks and torches starting an angry mob give me a break

+1

Way to support them Hogs you guys! Woooo Pig!!
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

PoormansRobbyHampton

I disagree. I thought we underachieved last year.

The_Bionic_Pig

I think we will most certainly be replacing a basketball coach but not the head coach...check out the rumors forum.  ;) (Nothing concrete to back it up thus the rumor's forum)
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

HgH

We lost 6 seniors......ill take the wins over OU and Texass and call it a good season

Hoggy1

Quote from: HgH on March 09, 2009, 08:58:48 pm
We lost 6 seniors......ill take the wins over OU and Texass and call it a good season

Just what exactly do those wins mean right now?
You must be smokin somethin if you think I ain't smokin nothin

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: GiveEmHellPel on March 09, 2009, 09:03:33 pm

It means we have the players and the arena, when full of screaming Hog fans, who can win ballgames against some of the country's toughest teams.

Some of these kids just need to get their tails kicked with a little tough love to get us back to that spot where we can do it all season, and not just the first half.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

HgH

Quote from: GiveEmHellPel on March 09, 2009, 09:03:33 pm
it means we arent 12-17. Dont forget the 6 senior thing.

HgH

WBChogfan

Worst SEC record ever...yeah...good season?

AckaBacka

Quote from: Teddyhawgeddy on March 09, 2009, 11:23:28 am
Please remember that John was a product of the Broyles-White Feud...He was at best the 4th choice for the position. The next hire will be done by a professional who will use a vast network and not waste money on a "head-hunter". Also we will not have a self imposed deadline of the first weekend in April so our AD can be at Augusta.
Give me 4 legit names that would step in and do better if called right now.  Name some guys that would come here.  Last time around it was Dana freaking Altman and Pel.  It would be the same situation except that we would also have the label of impatient and unrealistic. 

jackflash

You want a bigtime coach? Well be honest what bigtime would take this job?

HgH

Quote from: WBChogfan on March 10, 2009, 07:24:46 pm
Worst SEC record ever...yeah...good season?
guess you didnt get that we lost 6 seniors eithere.

N HOG

Quote from: PoormansRobbyHampton on March 09, 2009, 04:27:39 pm
I disagree. I thought we underachieved last year.

Good point. How easily we forget the UNC game.

51-26 at the half!!!

LRMedHawg

I am not saying it is time to fire Pel yet, but I find it unbelievable that people are on here saying that losing 6 seniors justifies our sucking so bad right now.  If a team is capable of defeating OU and Texas and then loses almost every conference game (in a crappy conference at that) then who is to blame.  The coach has to take some damn responsibility for that.  And if we are young why aren't we getting better, that is what pisses me off the most.

la20688

You had me until "good season".

PoormansRobbyHampton

Quote from: N HOG on March 10, 2009, 11:32:21 pm
Good point. How easily we forget the UNC game.

51-26 at the half!!!

The North Carolina game, no big SEC road wins (for the 20th straight year), choked against a Georgia team with no depth, didn't win the west when we were favored to do so, started the season off ranked in the polls and didn't finish there.

But hey, at least we beat that Indiana powerhouse! They were really peaking at the end of the year too!

hogninja

Preseason, last in west.  Preseason, lost 6 seniors, Beverly (counted on heavily), 4 games into season, lost McDonald- inside presence.  Just during SEC play, lost Monk who contributed to OU and TX in a big way with strong inside presence and SENIOR leadership in the locker room.  Henry, a known head case that couldn't accept discipline or go to class.

Pel has had to deal with a worst case scenario season while trying to rebuild a team.  Jeez, look at this year in the eyes of a coach and tell me you could do better.  Honestly tell me.  If Monk had been able to stay, I would say none of this late stage crud would be an issue.  He was the calming factor on the court and in the locker room.  His loss was the straw that broke the back.  No upperclassman leadership worth a hoot in hell and team members not going to class and challenging the coaching staff.

The griping of suspensions on this board is just stupid.  Pel is gaining control of his program.  If it is a battle between coach and player,  guess who has to win?  Sure he is a good player, but clashes HAVE to be won by the coach, or all is lost.

Our program was and is in the Cra$$er Now.  We have the potential to get much better IF this Discipline oriented Coach is given time to recruit and to
implement his style.  1 year is not enough and everyone knows it unless they have an agenda of firing and hiring until the perfect hire happens, ten years from now. JMHO

N HOG

Quote from: hogninja on March 11, 2009, 02:52:33 am
Preseason, last in west.  Preseason, lost 6 seniors, Beverly (counted on heavily), 4 games into season, lost McDonald- inside presence.  Just during SEC play, lost Monk who contributed to OU and TX in a big way with strong inside presence and SENIOR leadership in the locker room.  Henry, a known head case that couldn't accept discipline or go to class.

Pel has had to deal with a worst case scenario season while trying to rebuild a team.  Jeez, look at this year in the eyes of a coach and tell me you could do better.  Honestly tell me.  If Monk had been able to stay, I would say none of this late stage crud would be an issue.  He was the calming factor on the court and in the locker room.  His loss was the straw that broke the back.  No upperclassman leadership worth a hoot in hell and team members not going to class and challenging the coaching staff.

The griping of suspensions on this board is just stupid.  Pel is gaining control of his program.  If it is a battle between coach and player,  guess who has to win?  Sure he is a good player, but clashes HAVE to be won by the coach, or all is lost.

Our program was and is in the Cra$$er Now.  We have the potential to get much better IF this Discipline oriented Coach is given time to recruit and to
implement his style.  1 year is not enough and everyone knows it unless they have an agenda of firing and hiring until the perfect hire happens, ten years from now. JMHO

So, I take it you haven't actually WATCHED any games this year.

TheArkansasTraveller

AndrewGene

+1 to ninja as well.  I think the statement that everyone can agree with is that "His [Monk's] loss was the straw that broke the back".  If he would've played the entire season i say we win 2 or 3 more games.

dddollars

ahh thats great!!this is also what ive been saying +1