Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

A telling stat on our O?

Started by Niels Boar, March 06, 2009, 01:04:23 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Niels Boar

I was looking at Washington's A/TO ratio.  For the year it is about .5.  Patterson at UK has a ratio of almost 1.  Interestingly Patterson and Washington have almost identical TO's, but Patterson has twice as many assists.  Scanning the stats of other post players, I discovered to my surprise that .5 isn't atypical and 1 is well above average.  However, in our first 9 SEC games Washington had 5 assists and 25 TOs for a .2 ratio.  That is bad.  Thompkins, a frosh at UGA playing on one of the worst ballhandling teams in the nation, has managed .33.  I'm not sure if that low number was indicative of poor ballhandling by Washington, his teammates' lack of shooting skills, or failings in the offense, but recently Washington has been getting an assist for every TO.  In fact, his first 3 assist game this season occurred four games ago, and he duplicated it the following game.  What changed?  We generally seem to be playing better on offense.

Biggus Piggus

How many times have you seen Washington pass the ball back out?  Maybe to save himself from making a TO.  Not to set up a shooter.
[CENSORED]!

deshahawg

Washington isn't big man material. Our guards also don't pass him the ball where he can do anything with it.

hawgsav1

I wonder how things would be if Washington set more screens up top and we tried to play some pick and roll.  Washington has the ball handling skills to take it to the basket.

What about setting screens up top to open up Clarke/Welsh for shots? 
Revenge is a dish best served cold. - Klingon Proverb

hawgsav1

Also, Washington has a low FG percentage for a guy who likes to play inside. 

hawgsav1

Also, I wonder if Washington's low assist levels are due to the fact that he's not a true back to the basket player.  In fact, he seems to like to face the basket so he's not really in a position to kick the ball back out to an open shooter.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: hawgsav1 on March 06, 2009, 07:47:30 pm
Also, I wonder if Washington's low assist levels are due to the fact that he's not a true back to the basket player.  In fact, he seems to like to face the basket so he's not really in a position to kick the ball back out to an open shooter.

Try watching him with the ball.  He catches the ball often in post-up position.  He rarely, rarely, rarely looks for any outlet, and if it does come back out, it's an emergency escape.
[CENSORED]!

hawgsav1

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on March 09, 2009, 02:29:21 pm
Try watching him with the ball.  He catches the ball often in post-up position.  He rarely, rarely, rarely looks for any outlet, and if it does come back out, it's an emergency escape.

I noticed that, but it seems that as soon as he gets the ball, his eyes start looking toward the rim and it seems like he never takes even a minor glance back outside to see if there are any open shooters.

The_Iceman

Washington doesnt work for position like a big man should.
Here are things he can do to improve:

1. Develop a drop-step off of his right foot. He seems to always drive thru the lane and uses his right hand. If he would drive right then take a drop step and power it home, he would become much harder to guard.

2. Work on passing out. The more he passes out, the more the guards will trust to pass it to him. A guard doesnt want to pass it into a "black hole." If they know the ball will come back sometimes, they will feel more comfortable and the whole team will work better together.

3. Work for position. When the ball is on one side and it is getting reversed, work hard to establish as low of a position as possible. If you pin your man under the basket and the guard hits you that close, just power straight up and you have a dunk or a foul.

I don't know if these are things he isnt doing, or if the coaches haven't ever taken the time to teach them. If they haven't, i will gladly volunteer. These are improvements I would have hope to see by now out of our post players, but it doesnt seem like they are getting the fundamentals from the coaches.

NEA Boss Hog

Who would he throw it to if he did pass? Maybe his assist ratio has to do with the fact that no one he passes it to can shoot???

Prosciutto

Quote from: NEA Boss Hog on March 10, 2009, 04:22:12 pm
Who would he throw it to if he did pass? Maybe his assist ratio has to do with the fact that no one he passes it to can shoot???

Clarke's man never leaves him to double. There is no one else that I think can knock down an open shot. So Washington just lowers his head and backs toward the basket and forces up a shot. Although if he had 3 good outside threats on the court with him, I don't think he would play it any differently.

hogtheball

Quote from: baconblizzard on March 11, 2009, 05:38:44 pm
Clarke's man never leaves him to double. There is no one else that I think can knock down an open shot. So Washington just lowers his head and backs toward the basket and forces up a shot. Although if he had 3 good outside threats on the court with him, I don't think he would play it any differently.

Clarke's man leaves him to double A Lot (depending on the team we're playing).   Once the ball goes inside in our offense it never comes out.  Sanchez and Washington get doubled constantly because of that...
Did you hear about the dyslexic agnostic with insomnia? He laid awake all night wondering if there really was a dog.

rude1

It is why the book on us is to double down on Washington quickly, he is not  good passer. He is almost twice as likely to give you a turnover than to find the open guy for an assist. It only changes if the guys outside start to hit some outside shots to force the double guys to play honestly, but that happens so rarely.

In defense of Washington though, with our shot happy guards, when he does touch it, if he doesn't take a shot right then, he isn't likely to see it again. There is no such thing as it going inside, throwing it back outside so that Washington can repost and get another entry pass.

cobra kai

March 11, 2009, 06:30:12 pm #13 Last Edit: March 11, 2009, 06:56:56 pm by cobra kai
Quote from: rude1 on March 11, 2009, 06:16:36 pm
It is why the book on us is to double down on Washington quickly, he is not  good passer. He is almost twice as likely to give you a turnover than to find the open guy for an assist. It only changes if the guys outside start to hit some outside shots to force the double guys to play honestly, but that happens so rarely.

In defense of Washington though, with our shot happy guards, when he does touch it, if he doesn't take a shot right then, he isn't likely to see it again. There is no such thing as it going inside, throwing it back outside so that Washington can repost and get another entry pass.

its just another example of how this team just does not have good chemistry and does not play well together.  Washington never looks to kick it out when he's doubled and the guards rarely penetrate and pitch.  We have way too much 1-on-1 play and it really hasn't gotten any better as the season progressed. 
If you watch the good teams all over the country you will see players that are constantly looking for their teammates and are always willing to make that "extra pass." 

This is one reason why we struggle on offense at times and go on long scoring droughts.