Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

First 2018 commit coming tomorrow

Started by Deep Shoat, July 19, 2016, 09:18:01 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Deep Shoat

Connor Noland will be a two-sport Hog, from all I hear.
All Gas, No Brakes!

rljjr

greenie

I sure hope this happens. Kid can throw 90+ and would keep our qb depth rolling.

widespreadsooie

Just watched some of his highlights, first I've seen of him. Kid has some wheels and looks to be quite accurate with his throws.

onebadrubi

Isn't he a threat to lose to the mlb draft though?

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: onebadrubi on July 19, 2016, 10:51:41 pm
Isn't he a threat to lose to the mlb draft though?
if he goes top 20 or so, yeah, if not... nope.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

Bacon_Bitz

rzrbk4life

Let's call those hogs!!!!

riccoar

ricepig

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on July 19, 2016, 10:57:43 pm

RHP throwing 90 don't usually very early in the draft, so unless he gains about 5 mph, he'll make it to campus.

The_Iceman

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on July 19, 2016, 10:57:43 pm

You can get good money even through the 2nd round now.

bulldog04

He's a top 100 recruit in baseball and a top 250 in football.  I'm guessing he is the top ranked two sport athlete in his class.  Right now he might be a 3rd or 4th rounder which traditionally isn't enough to pull someone from football.  But he could definitely rise a lot higher by the time his draft comes around.

racinghog

Quote from: ricepig on July 20, 2016, 08:45:25 am
RHP throwing 90 don't usually very early in the draft, so unless he gains about 5 mph, he'll make it to campus.
yes but that was throwing his soph year. How fast will he be throwing his Sr. year?

ricepig

Quote from: racinghog on July 20, 2016, 11:14:53 am
yes but that was throwing his soph year. How fast will he be throwing his Sr. year?

That is to be determined, correct?

FraggleHog

Any word on when this guy is committing today?
Calling the Hogs from DFW

trashcan maN

Quote from: ricepig on July 20, 2016, 08:45:25 am
I just watched a documentary called Fastball. The MLB scouts on there said they're not necessarily looking at velocity when they're scouting HS kids. They're looking at form and fluidity. They can usually tell whether there is any more velocity to be had, or whether a kid has capped out.

draftkings33

You cant play baseball and football especially if you are gonna play QB and be a pitcher.  The mechanics are just too different and will lose to much practice time. 

WooPig90

Quote from: draftkings33 on July 20, 2016, 02:57:52 pm
You cant play baseball and football especially if you are gonna play QB and be a pitcher.  The mechanics are just too different and will lose to much practice time.

Jameis Winston says otherwise

trphog

Jameis Winston, while not a fan of him personally, faired pretty well in college playing being both a pitcher and QB. As have others.

FraggleHog

Quote from: trphog on July 20, 2016, 03:15:07 pm
Jameis Winston, while not a fan of him personally, faired pretty well in college playing being both a pitcher and QB. As have others.
Quote from: WooPig90 on July 20, 2016, 03:10:14 pm

What they said...

factchecker

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

navyhog24

Welcome to the Hog family, Connor. It's always a great day when the top instate kids commit early like this.

Music City Hog

draftkings33

Quote from: WooPig90 on July 20, 2016, 03:10:14 pm
Winston was 6-5 240.  A little different.  One example in 30 years is that all you can come up with? 

Deep Shoat

All Gas, No Brakes!

FraggleHog

Quote from: draftkings33 on July 20, 2016, 03:36:28 pm
Winston was 6-5 240.  A little different.  One example in 30 years is that all you can come up with?

What does that have to do with throwing mechanics? But to your point, he was only 6'4 200 coming out of high school. This guy has another year to beef up.

http://www.maxpreps.com/athlete/jameis-winston/SRE5m_TrEeKZ5AAmVebBJg/gendersport/football-stats.htm

greenie

I'm guessing you have a long list of those failed in their attempt to D1 pitch and play QB?

WooPig90

Nice! I just dont see him playing football here because he will probably go pro in baseball first

azhog10

Believe Russell Wilson did as well for a long while. Also a QB from Michigan I believe played both.

trphog

How about Colin Kaepernick and Daunte Culpepper. Why not just stop why your ahead - you're wrong.

thebignasty

I think he makes it to campus, especially since he wants to be a 2 sport athlete, but any player drafted in the top 10 rounds of the MLB draft is likely to go- due to the way the money works in the MLB draft, they will not draft you in the top 10 rounds unless they think they can sign you.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: Deep Shoat on July 19, 2016, 09:18:01 pm
Connor Noland will be a two-sport Hog, from all I hear.
Way to nail that prediction, Deep Shoat. Now what's your crystal ball saying about Chase Hayden? 8) ;)

RaisinHog

Yep only 2 players drafted in the first 10 rounds this year did not sign

bulldog04

Boarcephus

Have to agree with some of this.  There's a world of difference in throwing a baseball and a football.  Two entirely different motions. 
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

bennyl08

Quote from: Boarcephus on July 20, 2016, 05:02:34 pm
Have to agree with some of this.  There's a world of difference in throwing a baseball and a football.  Two entirely different motions.

There's a lot of difference b/w a forehand and a backhand in racquetball but yet you have to be able to do both. There's also a lot of similarity b/w a baseball and a football throw. Both throws start at the feet, you explode at the hips, and you have your arm whip forward. Same thing with driving a disc. We are dealing with athletes here who have bodies capable of doing things most of us can't. It'd be like asking a smart person to do well at history and physics. Very different fields, but with a lot of similarities as well, same fundamentals really. Some people might not be able to do well in both, but those who excel in that type of thing to begin with are more likely to be able to do both.

The one area where there is legit room for criticism is in practice time. While two sport qb's aren't as rare as some portray them, another common theme is them taking their senior to solely focus on the one sport and making a big improvement in doing so.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

Boarcephus

Quote from: bennyl08 on July 20, 2016, 05:59:01 pm
There's a lot of difference b/w a forehand and a backhand in racquetball but yet you have to be able to do both. There's also a lot of similarity b/w a baseball and a football throw. Both throws start at the feet, you explode at the hips, and you have your arm whip forward. Same thing with driving a disc. We are dealing with athletes here who have bodies capable of doing things most of us can't. It'd be like asking a smart person to do well at history and physics. Very different fields, but with a lot of similarities as well, same fundamentals really. Some people might not be able to do well in both, but those who excel in that type of thing to begin with are more likely to be able to do both.

The one area where there is legit room for criticism is in practice time. While two sport qb's aren't as rare as some portray them, another common theme is them taking their senior to solely focus on the one sport and making a big improvement in doing so.

We're going to have to disagree on this which is fine with me.  Until I got to high school I was a fairly successful  pitcher and once in high school they converted me to qb because I could throw the ball.  They worked on me week after week converting my throwing motion from a long, rear back and wing it to a very concise, ball at your cheek, pop it up to your ear, quick release motion.  IMO, two totally different motions.  I'll agree on the hips, feet, etc but that's about it.   
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

bennyl08

Quote from: Boarcephus on July 20, 2016, 06:33:46 pm
We're going to have to disagree on this which is fine with me.  Until I got to high school I was a fairly successful  pitcher and once in high school they converted me to qb because I could throw the ball.  They worked on me week after week converting my throwing motion from a long, rear back and wing it to a very concise, ball at your cheek, pop it up to your ear, quick release motion.  IMO, two totally different motions.  I'll agree on the hips, feet, etc but that's about it.

Not just your opinion, pretty much everybody's opinion that has ever seen somebody throw a football vs a baseball. Where the question lies is whether or not somebody is capable of doing both. Several high profile qb's have done this recently so it clearly is possible. Further, not everybody is created equal. While I have no idea who you are, I'd say that many college quarterbacks would have difficulty being able to do both without one impacting the other, much less somebody playing sports in HS. Look at the names of some who have done it before, Winston, Wilson, Kaepernick, etc... Those are all very talented people.

If Noland is a good enough athlete to do both, he will. He wouldn't be the first to do both and he certainly won't be the last. However, if coaches find he is struggling to juggle both sports, then he'll be asked to choose. My guess is, he comes in and plays both sports for the first couple of years without any issue, given that he probably won't have a hair's chance of playing and he will have enough to learn as is. Then, once it comes time that he will be competing for a starter's spot, he'll drop baseball to focus on football, that or he either sees how much devotion being a qb requires and decides he likes baseball better (not that baseball doesn't require devotion, just that it'll be hard to provide maximum devotion to both).
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

Deep Shoat

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on July 20, 2016, 04:10:51 pm
Way to nail that prediction, Deep Shoat. Now what's your crystal ball saying about Chase Hayden? 8) ;)
Hah!  Hog.  But that is just reading between the lines. 
All Gas, No Brakes!

onebadrubi

Quote from: trphog on July 20, 2016, 04:01:21 pm
How about Colin Kaepernick and Daunte Culpepper. Why not just stop why your ahead - you're wrong.

Because he was never ahead...  Lol

greenie

This kid has 2 more years of high school, so a lot can happen between now and then.  What is he...16 years old? 
He's obviously a potential star in the making, so we should be doing nothing but celebrating.