Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Paul Johnson

Started by hogcods8, November 19, 2017, 02:12:54 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hogcods8

I'm hearing that Johnson has shown some interest in the Arkansas job. I bet he could land Bohannan to run his offense.

NotSoFastMyFriend

Not sure but GB will likely be a great fit for the next staff.

Hogman2

NOOOOOO!We do not need the wishbone!

NuttinItUp

The Hawg Marshal

Yeah let's go back to the 70's.

JaketheSnake

The Hawg Marshal

JaketheSnake

Quote from: The Hawg Marshal on November 19, 2017, 08:10:32 pm
We won't win running the wishbone.
Scheme means jack crap.  Not a popular opinion arnd here right now, but it's true.  Get a good coach that can recruit his athletes and it will work.

hobhog

Quote from: hogcods8 on November 19, 2017, 02:12:54 pm
I'm hearing that Johnson has shown some interest in the Arkansas job. I bet he could land Bohannan to run his offense.

Who'd you hear that from? They say?

Locutus_of_Boar

Quote from: hogcods8 on November 19, 2017, 02:12:54 pm

As I recall Paul Johnson was the favorite Long was trying for in 2007 before Petrino made himself available.  My guess is we would have had him for about five boring years and still might have gotten Bielema, missing the Petrino roller coaster ride and the Smiley Experience and ending up in the exact same place we are today.  No thanks.

HotlantaHog

He falls into that large group of coaches who would do better than CBB but probably not all that great....

RedRock

Fan base wants spread, dual threat high power quick scores. 

Pork Twain

Quote from: The Hawg Marshal on November 19, 2017, 03:59:37 pm
Do you have the same complaints with Gus?
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

EastTNHog

I love the triple option, but when was the last time it was successful?

Pork Twain

Quote from: RedRock on November 19, 2017, 09:49:30 pm
Fan base wants spread, dual threat high power quick scores. 
and no defense
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

moses_007

Only Texas and Oklahoma ran the wishbone successfully.  Broyles tried it for a few years, but it didn't work here.  IMHO it's a very ugly offense.

HotlantaHog

Fan base would be fine with the scheme if it worked at a high level. He has a good year every third or fourth year at Georgia Tech.

hoggusamoungus

Quote from: moses_007 on November 19, 2017, 10:04:31 pm
Only Texas and Oklahoma ran the wishbone successfully.  Broyles tried it for a few years, but it didn't work here.  IMHO it's a very ugly offense.

Bear Bryant says hello.

http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/index.ssf/2016/08/remembering_bear_bryants_secre.html

WalHog2018

Cline Stoerner said we needed something exotic. I approve!!!

NoogaHog

Quote from: moses_007 on November 19, 2017, 10:04:31 pm

Does Hatfield's "flexbone" count? And what was the difference that made it "flex". (Keep it clean, please ;D)
Слава Богу - Slava Bogu - "Glory to God"

hogsanity

Quote from: The Hawg Marshal on November 19, 2017, 03:59:37 pm

Most Arkansans want to live in the 70's, or wait you meant 1970's, sorry, thats 100 years too late for many.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Boarcephus

Quote from: hoggusamoungus on November 20, 2017, 09:56:00 am
Bear Bryant says hello.

http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/index.ssf/2016/08/remembering_bear_bryants_secre.html

Bryant was successful because he could adapt.  The wishbone died the day JJ and Miami stuffed Switzer and OU in Norman. 
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

clutch

Quote from: NoogaHog on November 20, 2017, 10:55:07 am
Does Hatfield's "flexbone" count? And what was the difference that made it "flex". (Keep it clean, please ;D)

The wishbone formation has a full house backfield and two tight ends. The Flexbone drops two of the backs down to slot backs or "wing backs", and "flexs" out the tight ends to WR's. The Wishbone sometimes had the tight ends out as receivers, but had problems with DL shooting through when they did. So they moved the backs down to block them more easily.