Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Does Gus Believe in Arkansas' Chances to Actually Win Champioships?

Started by Albert Swinestein, November 17, 2017, 07:06:45 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Albert Swinestein

I remember when he said this, but Gus stated in the article below that "In this day and time, I think there are just a handful of teams that have a chance to win the whole thing. I think we (Auburn) are in that mix."

I would guess he does not include Arkansas in that list because he was talking about recruiting and the impact on winning.

I am surprised to learn that Auburn's winning percentage is actually slightly lower under Gus than it was the 20 years before him.  I was also surprised that their recruiting is slightly lower than historical under Gus even though it is still consistently Top 10 just because of location and reputation of the school.

https://auburn.247sports.com/Article/Auburns-Gus-Malzahn-We-have-to-seize-the-moment-105927883

NuttinItUp

Yes. He saw Petrino go 11-2 and get Arkansas ranked top 5. He knows it can be done here.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: NuttinItUp on November 17, 2017, 07:10:13 pm
Yes. He saw Petrino go 11-2 and get Arkansas ranked top 5. He knows it can be done here.

Short of Alabama, Auburn and LSU being on probation in the same season along with A&M having a down year (which could happen), probably not. And the question was, "win championships". It isn't impossible, but highly unlikely. Until that is, that we adopt the same recruiting philosophy of Alabama, Auburn, LSU, A&M, Georgia, Florida, Tennessee, Ole Miss, etc.
Go Hogs Go!

NuttinItUp

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on November 17, 2017, 07:25:20 pm
Short of Alabama, Auburn and LSU being on probation in the same season along with A&M having a down year (which could happen), probably not. And the question was, "win championships". It isn't impossible, but highly unlikely. Until that is, that we adopt the same recruiting philosophy of Alabama, Auburn, LSU, A&M, Georgia, Florida, Tennessee, Ole Miss, etc.

Maybe you are right and we are pitiful. I choose to always root for the Hogs and believe they have a shot, though.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: NuttinItUp on November 17, 2017, 07:45:15 pm
Maybe you are right and we are pitiful. I choose to always root for the Hogs and believe they have a shot, though.

I always pull for the Hogs in every single game that they play, but I know that unless we alter our recruiting philosophy, mere hope and fandom, isn't going to get it done.
Go Hogs Go!

Hawginj

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on November 17, 2017, 07:53:29 pm
I always pull for the Hogs in every single game that they play, but I know that unless we alter our recruiting philosophy, mere hope and fandom, isn't going to get it done.
Go Hogs! I wholeheartedly agree and take it a step farther with a change of philosophy across the board.

Jackson_64

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on November 17, 2017, 07:25:20 pm

Yes, a change in philosophy is the way to go. Petrino was really the only one to do that and the proof is in his record here.
Lane Kiffin.

And it is way closer to happening then you think.

Way closer.

PRJ

redeye

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on November 17, 2017, 07:53:29 pm

What do you mean by "alter our recruiting philosophy"?  Honestly, I don't have the slightest idea.

I'm surprised that Auburn has recruited worse under Malzahn and I'm also skeptical that it's true.

bphi11ips

Quote from: redeye on November 17, 2017, 10:47:53 pm
What do you mean by "alter our recruiting philosophy"?  Honestly, I don't have the slightest idea.

I'm surprised that Auburn has recruited worse under Malzahn and I'm also skeptical that it's true.

He means we need to use bag men like the teams we compete with.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Hawg Life

Quote from: Albert Swinestein on November 17, 2017, 07:06:45 pm
I remember when he said this, but Gus stated in the article below that "In this day and time, I think there are just a handful of teams that have a chance to win the whole thing. I think we (Auburn) are in that mix."

I would guess he does not include Arkansas in that list because he was talking about recruiting and the impact on winning.

I am surprised to learn that Auburn's winning percentage is actually slightly lower under Gus than it was the 20 years before him.  I was also surprised that their recruiting is slightly lower than historical under Gus even though it is still consistently Top 10 just because of location and reputation of the school.

https://auburn.247sports.com/Article/Auburns-Gus-Malzahn-We-have-to-seize-the-moment-105927883

He averages 8 wins a season with top 10 recruiting classes every year, and he won't have those recruiting advantages here. Norvell makes way more sense, and has a higher cieling.

NuttinItUp

Quote from: Hawg Life on November 17, 2017, 11:09:19 pm
He averages 8 wins a season with top 10 recruiting classes every year, and he won't have those recruiting advantages here. Norvell makes way more sense, and has a higher cieling.

"A higher ceiling", haha.  The phrases you guys throw around are hilarious sometimes.

hoglady

It's a crap shoot no matter who is hired.
Roll the dice on someone and hope for the best.

I still think Leach is our best option.
He brings a proven offensive philosophy and he's fielding some pretty good defenses at Washington St.
He's been successful at a school that had no history of success.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

Locutus_of_Boar

Quote from: NuttinItUp on November 17, 2017, 07:10:13 pm

Gus knows his chances at winning a National Championship are much better at Auburn than at Arkansas.

Gus also knows he can't live forever on the Kick Six when AU has lost 7 of the last 9 to Saban.

Gus knows that Arkansas held onto Nutt far too long and probably Bielema too.  In both cases forcing the AD out to get a coachingchange made.

Assuming Arkansas hires an AD that has his back the 52 year old Gus is probably safe at Arkansas for the balance of his career.

It's pretty simple:  Beat Saban next week and stay at Auburn for a few more years with a shot at the title.  Lose to Saban next week and jump to Arkansas where he will not win any championships but will, like Petrino compete well enough to work the politics of the job and finish out his career.

FaytownHog

Quote from: NuttinItUp on November 17, 2017, 11:34:07 pm
"A higher ceiling", haha.  The phrases you guys throw around are hilarious sometimes.
He has a lower floor too. I think what people mean is just that he's an unknown variable, which technically so is Gus since nobody truly knows what either of them would do here but Gus HAS won everywhere he's been, I do like that much anyway.

hogsgolfpro

Lots of people going to be pissed when CBB stays another year to save money and they bring in an AD who knows more about football than JL to put his feet to the fire

jjfmetal11

Quote from: hogsgolfpro on November 18, 2017, 08:10:07 am
Lots of people going to be pissed when CBB stays another year to save money and they bring in an AD who knows more about football than JL to put his feet to the fire
Wrong!   You don't save money bringing CBB back you would actually lose a shitload.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: hogsgolfpro on November 18, 2017, 08:10:07 am

The resurgence of the GOBN moved things along quickly with the firing/reassignment of Jeff Long. Incredibly fast. They are wielding a lot of power right now. Long was Bielema's advocate. That security blanket is gone. Had Long kept his job I might agree with you and before this nose-dive of the program this season, I thought Bielema would get another year as well. I say that, but I think I said before the season started that the only way I thought he would get canned was if he went 3-9/4-8/5-7 this season and at the time, I saw no reason for that to possibly happen. I still see no good reason for it, yet here we are and it wouldn't surprise me to see us finish 4-8.

I just don't see Bielema surviving this. If you have a resurgent GOBN that wants good games restored to WMS, is bound to have their way and who doesn't care what it costs, don't think for a second that they are going to care what it costs to get rid of Bielema. JMO
Go Hogs Go!

online-with-swine

Some in the GOBN have what I call piss off money.  And it seems they want to tell CBB to "piss off".  If they want it to happen it can and will happen.

Hogman2

I keep reading that Arkansas is a difficult place to recruit !  Well, my take on that is then "How can Oklahoma recruit?" Norman is not such a great place to be and they seem to recruit very well.  Coaches determine recruiting!  A great coach can recruit and sign "great players!" Arkansas needs to recruit heavily in TEXAS!  Many native TEXANS attend UA because it is cheaper going there than many Texas schools ! We need to take advantage of that! Arkansas MUST get the "best" players from Arkansas and concentrate on Texas for the majority of our roster.  Petrino proved we can win 10-11 games at Arkansas and HE WAS NOT A GREAT RECRUITER! Arkansas recruits ok in Louisiana.  WE need to recruit in Missouri, Memphis, and the surrounding areas but Texas is our key to success!

hogsgolfpro

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on November 18, 2017, 08:36:21 am
The resurgence of the GOBN moved things along quickly with the firing/reassignment of Jeff Long. Incredibly fast. They are wielding a lot of power right now. Long was Bielema's advocate. That security blanket is gone. Had Long kept his job I might agree with you and before this nose-dive of the program this season, I thought Bielema would get another year as well. I say that, but I think I said before the season started that the only way I thought he would get canned was if he went 3-9/4-8/5-7 this season and at the time, I saw no reason for that to possibly happen. I still see no good reason for it, yet here we are and it wouldn't surprise me to see us finish 4-8.

I just don't see Bielema surviving this. If you have a resurgent GOBN that wants good games restored to WMS, is bound to have their way and who doesn't care what it costs, don't think for a second that they are going to care what it costs to get rid of Bielema. JMO

Agreed. I mostly said that out of sarcasm but I would be lying if a small part of me can see that train wreck happening just based on not thinking many coaches will agree to accept a job where they don't know who their boss will be. The Malzahn thing feels funky and he may be one of few to accept the job without needing to know who AD will be, but I just don't think he's the guy. Now, they may be going after him, but feels like a power play for a raise at Aubbie. Who knows. If we get doors blown off today and they remove CBB tomorrow then I would feel like things are coming into place. If we get get doors blown off and they leave CBB through Mizzou, then I doubt anything is in motion at all.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Hogman2 on November 18, 2017, 08:45:38 am
I keep reading that Arkansas is a difficult place to recruit !  Well, my take on that is then "How can Oklahoma recruit?" Norman is not such a great place to be and they seem to recruit very well.  Coaches determine recruiting!  A great coach can recruit and sign "great players!" Arkansas needs to recruit heavily in TEXAS!  Many native TEXANS attend UA because it is cheaper going there than many Texas schools ! We need to take advantage of that! Arkansas MUST get the "best" players from Arkansas and concentrate on Texas for the majority of our roster.  Petrino proved we can win 10-11 games at Arkansas and HE WAS NOT A GREAT RECRUITER! Arkansas recruits ok in Louisiana.  WE need to recruit in Missouri, Memphis, and the surrounding areas but Texas is our key to success!

Arkansas is a difficult place to recruit to and especially to the Pro Style of offense that we run. I agree that we need to focus more on Texas but more than that, it is the quality of the recruits that we get. You mentioned Oklahoma as an example. Well, highly ranked recruits are drawn to winning programs. 5 and 4 stars don't flock to Tuscaloosa because it is a vacation paradise that has a ocean front view with a beach.

Over the last 25 years Oklahoma is #6 on the list with the most wins in the country. 227-88-3 They are a historic program with 46 conference championships and 7 national championships.

Over that same period of time Arkansas is #44. 167-137-2 Arkansas has won 13 SWC Championships and 1 National Championship.

Additionally, we don't finance our recruiting (and I am not talking about the recruiting budget) like a lot of major programs tend to do.
Go Hogs Go!

Locutus_of_Boar

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on November 18, 2017, 08:36:21 am

Cascade effect of all the high level changes in the next few weeks mean this is the year to be in the market to be hired as a football coach.  If Bielema doesn't want to spend the next couple of years in the booth he really needs to get out now.

Anyway it's an hour to kickoff there is little traaffic and from the construction cam RRS is virtually empty other than the teams on the field.  I don't think a lame duck season is a real option for anyone.

hoglady

Quote from: Locutus_of_Boar on November 18, 2017, 10:00:44 am
Cascade effect of all the high level changes in the next few weeks mean this is the year to be in the market to be hired as a football coach.  If Bielema doesn't want to spend the next couple of years in the booth he really needs to get out now.

Anyway it's an hour to kickoff there is little traaffic and from the construction cam RRS is virtually empty other than the teams on the field.  I don't think a lame duck season is a real option for anyone.

Heck - just look at this board.
More interest in AD search, coaching search and a Gameday sign by Wisky fan "fat shaming" Bielema.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality