Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Only way I can support Gus as the next head coach....

Started by Tim Harris, November 16, 2017, 04:59:56 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Tim Harris

The Hawg Marshal

And comes clean about the Auburn pay for play program!lol

ricepig

Quote from: Tim Harris on November 16, 2017, 04:59:56 pm
......is if he reunites with this guy!

Living here in Jonesboro, he actually wears his hat like that to every event, inside or out, formal or not.  I think there is some reason for it, but I don't remember what it was.

pigz

Quote from: ricepig on November 16, 2017, 05:39:19 pm
Living here in Jonesboro, he actually wears his hat like that to every event, inside or out, formal or not.  I think there is some reason for it, but I don't remember what it was.
I was the hat guy in my twenties, he hasn't embraced the baldness yet.
You guys have a good time frig dancing

factchecker

The only coach on jonesboro's staff we need is their d-line coach.

Bring Early back to Fayetteville!
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

The Hawg Marshal

Quote from: factchecker on November 16, 2017, 05:47:44 pm

I could get behind that.

247Hog

If there's one thing any of you should know as hog fans, brace yourself for disappointment and never get your hopes up.

It could be raining female body parts outside and we'd all be hit in the head with a pecker - Dmaxfan

presidenthog

Quote from: The Hawg Marshal on November 16, 2017, 05:02:18 pm
And comes clean about the Auburn pay for play program!lol

Hell I hope gus with his GOBN connections starts our own. I'm optimistic for the first time we will finally enter the real recruiting game

Hawginj

without question.

GoHogs1091

The sad thing is Taylor is probably a better Coach than anyone in Fayetteville with the exception of Enos, Smith, and Lunney, Jr.

Tusks

I would love to play poker with the posters on this board.  You guys don't realize the ace in the recruiting hole on the auburn staff.

Rodney MF Garner

Look him up.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

LJHOG

jvanhorn

I would support Gus if he is made coach.  He is certainly a better coach than the one we have now and probably a better recruiter but--I WILL NEVER TRUST HIM.

My gut feeling is that we are going to be sorry in the future that we didn't get the guy from Memphis.  You can tell, just like you could about the coach over there before him, that he has a bright future.

Hawg Life

Quote from: jvanhorn on November 16, 2017, 07:05:59 pm
I would support Gus if he is made coach.  He is certainly a better coach than the one we have now and probably a better recruiter but--I WILL NEVER TRUST HIM.

My gut feeling is that we are going to be sorry in the future that we didn't get the guy from Memphis.  You can tell, just like you could about the coach over there before him, that he has a bright future.

I concur.

IronHog

Agree 100%

FWTW
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

elkhog

Im confused.  I could have sworn I heard the news say Gus was being considered for the AD job, not head coach. 
But, I would be happy with either one!
GO HOGS!!!

RebHog

The coach before him brought it out of the gutter so I agree with him. The current coach is still an unknown IMO.

mj4president

His dad wore it like that.

Also involves the night his dad died.
"Let's do this tonight! Nothing like a legendary night to remember. I'll tell all my grand pups one day about the 3 am walk off home run by Jared Gates." MJ4President just hours before it happened.

hoghearted

ditto
It really is this simple. Unchecked government power leads to corruption, and lack of accountability for it is drastically eroding confidence in our institutions.    aristotle

Hogtimes

If Gus is hired, I do not think things will turn out well for the University.

MissippHog

Absolutely.  I may not be happy with a Gus hire, but I'll support him and my team.

IronHog

If they start chop blocking I'll return to games in person
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

j-mann

i am not a huge gus guy   BUT if he comes here   and gets Tooper Taylor   and puts a wall around this state  and we turn into a 8-4 9-3  team  and refused  to play A-St  i am all in 
calling the hogs from Jonesboro    i have  cerebral  palsy  Rheumatoid arthritis   and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome   i cannot space  well  or spell well   but i still  love the hogs

Yep. We will regret not hiring him.

MuskogeeHogFan

The truth is, we don't know if either of them would be able to find success here.

Gus has had the benefit of highly rated recruiting classes for his entire time at Auburn and he is in close physical proximity to tons of talent. He hasn't exactly set the world on fire at Auburn with all of that talent at his disposal, which is why every three games or so there is talk of him being on their hot seat. Yet we think that somehow, magically, his presence at Arkansas is going to change our fortunes with regard to wins. I'll grant you that I think we might win another game or two each year under him and we might not get blown out, but if we expect him to suddenly have us competing for the West, probably not happening.

Norvell is just about to complete his second year ever as a HC. He may be a great coach but he has benefited from the recruiting of Fuentes who preceded him. He simply hasn't been a HC long enough for any accurate judgement to be made that he is good enough to merit being handed the keys to a P-5 program (whether we are his dream job, he played in Arkansas, his wife is from Arkansas) or not.

I know that having an "Arkansas connection" seems to be an important thing for folks these days, but it is short sighted to limit a HC'ing search to just the guys who have that connection. I don't care who the HC is as long as he is accustomed to producing higher end results over a prolonged period of time with lesser recruiting classes, at a higher level of football. Mike Gundy would be my first call and I would throw the bank at him to get him to Arkansas, before I ever even gave a thought to Malzahn or Norvell.
Go Hogs Go!

bulldog04

He also needs to bring Larry Porter. Get a couple of a coaches and the rest are recruiters

HogTakes

Just because he took a program the guy before him built and kept winning. Isnt that wat Bert did at Wiscy?

ThisTeetsTaken

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on November 17, 2017, 05:41:06 am
The truth is, we don't know if either of them would be able to find success here.

Gus has had the benefit of highly rated recruiting classes for his entire time at Auburn and he is in close physical proximity to tons of talent. He hasn't exactly set the world on fire at Auburn with all of that talent at his disposal, which is why every three games or so there is talk of him being on their hot seat. Yet we think that somehow, magically, his presence at Arkansas is going to change our fortunes with regard to wins. I'll grant you that I think we might win another game or two each year under him and we might not get blown out, but if we expect him to suddenly have us competing for the West, probably not happening.

Norvell is just about to complete his second year ever as a HC. He may be a great coach but he has benefited from the recruiting of Fuentes who preceded him. He simply hasn't been a HC long enough for any accurate judgement to be made that he is good enough to merit being handed the keys to a P-5 program (whether we are his dream job, he played in Arkansas, his wife is from Arkansas) or not.

I know that having an "Arkansas connection" seems to be an important thing for folks these days, but it is short sighted to limit a HC'ing search to just the guys who have that connection. I don't care who the HC is as long as he is accustomed to producing higher end results over a prolonged period of time with lesser recruiting classes, at a higher level of football. Mike Gundy would be my first call and I would throw the bank at him to get him to Arkansas, before I ever even gave a thought to Malzahn or Norvell.
Gundy would be a good fit IMO.
***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

Roadrunner

Homage to his father: 
"Well, he came into the room, and he was waking me up, and he was about to take his hat and let me flip it backward and put his mask on that he wore at work every day. And I'd been doing that since I was like 3 years old, and I thought it was special between me and him. He'd always let me do it.

"Well, when I was 12, he came in to do it, and I was like, 'Dad, don't kiss on me. I'm not turning that hat backward today. I'm 12 years old. I'm too big for that.' He left and went to work, and I never saw him again."

Taylor's father died that day. Taylor, then an eighth-grader, was told his father had a heart attack while walking from one job to the next.
When I want your opinion, I'll give it to you.

Three and Snout

Quote from: presidenthog on November 16, 2017, 05:54:34 pm
Hell I hope gus with his GOBN connections starts our own. I'm optimistic for the first time we will finally enter the real recruiting game

Six Flags over Jesus and Armani Ronnie will start being in the high school athlete heppin' bidness...

bosshog84

I would get on board with Mike The Mullett

goodguytex

Best post of the year IMO!! Auburn has been mostly mediocre, with what, 2 better than mediocre seasons with him at Auburn, with top ten recruiting classes? But he will do better than that at Arkansas? As a fan base, we need to unite, come together here.

Hiring Malzahn will just further divide the fan base. And I'm not certain I can support in any way a program with him as HC. And hog football in my family goes back to my Grandfather. We take it seriously. But malzahn leading our program just doesn't need to happen.

Paul

I would (insert ) support Gus if he is made coach.  He is certainly a better coach than the one we have now and probably a better recruiter but--I WILL NEVER TRUST HIM.

try to

HogInThaGrove

I have a family friend that works in the football offices at stAte and believe it or not, Trooper is a really really awesome guy.  I hated him as much or more than the next guy when he was at Auburn, especially with the backwards hat, but having learned the story behind it and how he treats the young lady that is a family friend and actually how all of the football coaches at stAte treat people, I have completely changed my viewpoint on him and them.  Coach Anderson's wife is battling cancer right now as well, and that's really not reported on anywhere in the state. 

Tim Harris

Quote from: Roadrunner on November 17, 2017, 08:29:24 am
Homage to his father: 
“Well, he came into the room, and he was waking me up, and he was about to take his hat and let me flip it backward and put his mask on that he wore at work every day. And I’d been doing that since I was like 3 years old, and I thought it was special between me and him. He’d always let me do it.

“Well, when I was 12, he came in to do it, and I was like, ‘Dad, don’t kiss on me. I’m not turning that hat backward today. I’m 12 years old. I’m too big for that.’ He left and went to work, and I never saw him again.”

Taylor’s father died that day. Taylor, then an eighth-grader, was told his father had a heart attack while walking from one job to the next.

See Hogville is good for things other than just griping about our current situation.  I never knew why he did it either.

Also I have to say that I don't have an opinion on him but do know that a good majority around here don't like him from his time at Auburn.  The few people that I know who have met him actually like him.

SouthSide Johnny

I'm with you MHF on Gundy, would love to see what he could here at Arkansas, I got a few chips stowed away to contribute to make it happen, bring on the mullet...
Some Say it's Raining Elephants but They Go Outside Anyway..

Tim Harris

I know that having an "Arkansas connection" seems to be an important thing for folks these days, but it is short sighted to limit a HC'ing search to just the guys who have that connection.

Exactly.  Only school who needs to be using that line of thinking is BYU and that is only because they have the religious thing to take in to account.  For everyone else your goal should be to hire the best coach possible and if they happen to have a connection then that is a bonus.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Really thought they should have brought him in last year.  Tired of the NFL interns we have running around.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

IMABIELEMA

Quote from: presidenthog on November 16, 2017, 05:54:34 pm
We have one bro.  I got paid $120K to play DL back in the early 2000's.

OkieBack

Quote from: goodguytex on November 17, 2017, 09:01:57 am
Best post of the year IMO!! Auburn has been mostly mediocre, with what, 2 better than mediocre seasons with him at Auburn, with top ten recruiting classes? But he will do better than that at Arkansas? As a fan base, we need to unite, come together here.

Hiring Malzahn will just further divide the fan base. And I'm not certain I can support in any way a program with him as HC. And hog football in my family goes back to my Grandfather. We take it seriously. But malzahn leading our program just doesn't need to happen.

The quick fix with the homer ain't always the solution.  I like Gus and think he is a great coach.  But again he is the obvious choice and that doesn't always pan out the way we want.  GM would please allot of folks but also create allot of animosity within the state.  Winning might take care of it.  Then again we might be in a bigger mess than we are in now in 5 more years. 

But for the money, experience, coaching connections, and for Heaven's sake the recruiting, Brent Venables is the man I want on campus.  He would re-energize this program and he wouldn't do it alone.  He would bring in some kick butt assistants, no doubt.

jvanhorn

Quote from: j-mann on November 16, 2017, 10:27:49 pm
i am not a huge gus guy   BUT if he comes here   and gets Tooper Taylor   and puts a wall around this state  and we turn into a 8-4 9-3  team  and refused  to play A-St  i am all in 

I am not afraid to play Arkansas State.  I am not afraid to play anyone.

jvanhorn

My guess is, and I certainly won't live long enough, that someday one of the best and most exciting games in this state may very well be UCA vs Arkansas State.  In fact UCA may turn out, eventually, to be the second largest university in the state.

Right in the middle of the state on an interstate.  Truth be told it is probably where the U of A should have been located.

sowmonella

Quote from: IMABIELEMA on November 17, 2017, 03:16:10 pm
We have one bro.  I got paid $120K to play DL back in the early 2000's.

200 plus posts and this is the first one that indicates you were a former Razorback player.  And it also states you were paid $120K to play DL in the early 2000's. Stunning.
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Tim Harris on November 17, 2017, 03:11:53 pm
Exactly.  Only school who needs to be using that line of thinking is BYU and that is only because they have the religious thing to take in to account.  For everyone else your goal should be to hire the best coach possible and if they happen to have a connection then that is a bonus.

The thing is, it isn't a matter of just one thing. And, if we (those who are pulling the strings anyway) fail to study and analyze the mistakes we have made in the past, we may be doomed to committing the same mistakes again.

Bielema appeared to be a great hire, lot's of success at Wisconsin and doing it with lesser recruiting classes and as a result, putting a lot of talented guys in the NFL. A "can't miss" in the SEC with access to better talent, right? Well we got that wrong. A good man who cares about his players, but his success at Wisconsin just didn't translate to Arkansas even though we actually, really were close at times. He just couldn't close out games when the chips were down.

Petrino, a HC with one of the greatest Offensive minds in college football, had a nasty personality that seemed to come out at the exact wrong times when representing the school, but who was a fierce competitor, a so-so recruiter and allowed his inability to keep his pants zipped up to become a matter of public record. I imagine that as an AD, he was a coach that you loved for his on-field results and couldn't stand to have to deal with off the field.

Nutt was the epitome of a coach who always seemed to be on cruise control. Never consistently great, never consistently bad, until he allowed his insecurities to take over his judgement as a HC and how he allowed (if not instigated) the mistreatment of players within his program. Never a great recruiter, he literally lucked into some great talent at times that was produced during a different era of Arkansas HS football.

We need a lot of things in this next coach.

-Yes, we want to have a guy who cares about and treats his players and staff with respect, but who is also not afraid to be tougher on them when they aren't producing at an acceptable level on the field, in the classroom and off the field.
-We need a guy who has demonstrated over a prolonged period of time that he can take lesser recruiting classes and whether through player development, great scheming, game planning and discipline (or all of those) be able to win at a higher level, not leave wins on the field and at least keep from getting blown out and embarrassed when we do lose. Restore toughness to the program.
-Someone who is not an arrogant fool who has demonstrated that he can get along with the PTB, the Administration, the Media, Bowl officials (as an Ambassador of the program) and of course, the fan base.
-A Coach who has shown that he can attract and hire a quality staff that can coach and teach players effectively, sharp enough to identify and make quality in-game adjustments and who are motivated to achieve excellence.
-And maybe not finally, but at least important, be a HC that allows your Coaches to Coach and trust their judgement, because as HC you can't be effective if you think that you have to have your hand directly involved in every decision from who plays, every scheme call or play call. Macro-manage, not micro-manage.

JMO
Go Hogs Go!

bulldog04

Quote from: jvanhorn on November 17, 2017, 10:01:35 pm
I am not afraid to play Arkansas State.  I am not afraid to play anyone.
Isn't it funny the only time you hear from Astate is when Arkansas is down. You don't hear them wanting a piece of Mike and Dave's boys

Hawghiggs

Quote from: bulldog04 on November 18, 2017, 08:41:58 am
Isn't it funny the only time you hear from Astate is when Arkansas is down. You don't hear them wanting a piece of Mike and Dave's boys

That's not true. I've heard nothing but a willingness from A-state to play in every sport.

Hawghiggs

Tony Hull is another coach that the next coach should add to the staff.

Hawg Life

Quote from: Tim Harris on November 16, 2017, 04:59:56 pm
......is if he reunites with this guy!

Gus is the Hillary Clinton of college football. He's bogus, a fraud, and a liar and no one cares.

IMABIELEMA

November 18, 2017, 05:19:16 pm #49 Last Edit: November 18, 2017, 10:11:34 pm by IMABIELEMA
Quote from: sowmonella on November 17, 2017, 10:19:48 pm
200 plus posts and this is the first one that indicates you were a former Razorback player.  And it also states you were paid $120K to play DL in the early 2000's. Stunning.
Very interesting that: 1.) you have the time in your life to read 200 of my posts & 2.) you couldn't see that was a BS joke without reading 200 of my posts.  Your highschool dropout education truly shows.