10 straight hunts

Started by gotyacovered, December 14, 2009, 08:26:52 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

gotyacovered

2 spikes 2 does... Getting old.

That's all.
You are what you tolerate.

HogBreath

Didn't see nothin yesterday, just kinda messed around though, sooo......, saw 15 does the time before, then saw 5 does and a little 8 point the day before that, the bucks just look to be moving at nite or right before dark, I had been catching a few moving right at noon,but they quit that too.

Just been an odd year.
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

SultanofSwine

What are you huntin, food source, travel pattern,etc? Atleaset down where I hunt, bucks should be getting back up and running scrapes in the next week to 10 days for the secondary rut. There always seems to be a serious lull after the peak of the primary rut and before the secondary. After that, they should get back on a fairly consistent browse pattern.

pick_DA_EAGLES

the deer i killed was running scrapes again already.

just keep going if there is one around he will show hisself sooner or later.

gotyacovered

Quote from: SultanofSwine on December 15, 2009, 09:29:36 am
What are you huntin, food source, travel pattern,etc? Atleaset down where I hunt, bucks should be getting back up and running scrapes in the next week to 10 days for the secondary rut. There always seems to be a serious lull after the peak of the primary rut and before the secondary. After that, they should get back on a fairly consistent browse pattern.

until this weekend i was hunting under the biggest white oak you have ever seen, very close to a thicket, in a small creek bottom, w/in 50 yards of a pond... this weekend i moved to a tight (literally) spot. i am backed up to a pond with a thicket 40 yards in front of me. its a natural funnel in between their food and their bedding area. there are no scrapes or rubs very close but there is no question they are using it travel back and forth... plus there is plenty of food for them to graze on to and from. i dont know, baffling.

SultanofSwine

Without knowing the property, pretty hard to say where or what they might be doing. Sometimes the deer win and it usually chaps my hide ;)

clutch

2 does and 2 spikes huh..... well your doing better than me lol.

gotyacovered

SultanofSwine

How long since you washed your hunting clothes? :P

spit

move to a new spot.  If you've been there 11 hunts in a row, its about worthless anyway, regardless of how good a location it should be.  They know you're there and may be avoiding you like the plague.  move, maybe not even very far, sometimes they'll adjust their pattern and go around you.

spit

and/or be sure the feed source you're 'between" isn't dried up basically. 

gotyacovered

Quote from: spit on December 15, 2009, 07:00:35 pm
move to a new spot.  If you've been there 11 hunts in a row, its about worthless anyway, regardless of how good a location it should be.  They know you're there and may be avoiding you like the plague.  move, maybe not even very far, sometimes they'll adjust their pattern and go around you.

important note... this is the new spot... today was the 2nd time I've been there... and its not 11 days in a row, its 11 hunts... probably over 3-4 weeks...

Quote from: SultanofSwine on December 15, 2009, 06:34:57 pm
How long since you washed your hunting clothes? :P

they are good... i was the base layer stuff every other wear or so, the outside stuff, proly weekly, maybe little more time in between washes, but nothing more or less than the last couple years.

Quote from: spit on December 15, 2009, 07:01:23 pm
and/or be sure the feed source you're 'between" isn't dried up basically. 

this is a good possibility. i was whining about it to my wife tonight and she said you do this every year about this time... i think she is right. there is someting about this spot, this time of year. i dont know... man i am tired of it.

ive got a couple other spots i can try to hit, guess i can let this place cool off a little.

thanks a lot for the input guys.

Porkys Revenge

Forget the wind. Just hunt! And dont forget your rice bran.