Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Here is what we return for the 2013 season

Started by Lake City Hog, November 24, 2012, 09:33:31 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Lake City Hog

Got parts of this from another board and other places. We have a very good group returning and with the right coaching should not see a dramatic falloff.  Brandon Allen should start throwing to the receivers on Monday! Brandon Mitchell had better focus on football and leave basketball alone. If one of these guys can fill the void of Wilson at a 75% clip we should be pretty good on offense.                                                   

OFFENSE
QB   Brandon Allen, Brandon Mitchell
RB   Jonathan Williams,  Donavan Roberts, Kody Walker
FB   Kiero Small, Brad Shearin
WR   Julian Horton, Javontee Herndon, Mekale Mekay, D'Arthur Cowan, Demtrius Wilson, Keante Minor, Keon Hatcher, Eric Hawkins
TE   Austin Tate, Alex Voelzke, Demetrius Dean, Brett Weir 
OT   David Hurd, Chris Stringer, Brey Cook   
OG   Luke Charpentier, Alvin Bailey
C   Travis Swanson, Mitch Smothers
Backups on the Offensive Line: Ollison, Dannenhauer, Beck, Boyd and Ward

Commits that could play: Hunter Henry TE, Jonathan McClure, Mitchell Bell OL

DEFENSE
DE   Trey Flowers, Austin Flynn, Chris Smith, Tiawan Johnson, Deatrich Wise, JaMichael Winston, Jeremy Sprinkle, Brandon Lewis, Darrell Kelly-Thomas.     
NT   Bryan Jones, Demarcus Hodge
DT   Robert Thomas, Horace Arkadie, Darius Philon
LB   Otha Peters, Braylan Mitchell, A.J. Turner, Jarrett Lake
S   Eric Bennett, Alan Turner, Rohan Gaines, Alan Turner
CB   Tevin Mitchell, Will Hines, Davyon McKinney, Defonta Lowe, Kelvin Fischer, JrRay Buchanan Jr., Jared Collins

Commits that could play: Myke Tavarres LB, Carroll Washington CB

K   Zach Hocker
PR   Nate Holmes, Keante Minor
KR   D'Arthur Cowan

Cracker

Honestly, with or without Knile this group still looks alright. I was originally very concerned about this next season, but looking at some of the young guns that have made the most of their opportunities this season, I'm confident in what they can bring back to the table with a full off-season under a real coaching staff and complete closure to the last year. Obviously we're going to miss Tyler, that goes without saying, but if we can bring in a good OC/QB's coach that can work on developing either Mitchell or Allen, then I think we will be okay. That will be the biggest question mark coming into next season without a doubt.
I'm on a mission from God with half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and I'm wearing sunglasses.

hit it.

Bubba's Bruisers

Add a coaching staff who can develop and prepare players, and we might be decent enough to reach a bowl.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

jcul28

Is Allen progresses...thats an 8 win team. Which is sad losing all we are losing. Makes you realize how baf this season really went.

Lake City Hog

With a good HC we would have won 8 or 9 games this year and yesterday would have been one of them!

hogoffate

IF we get a great/good head coach and staff, we can be successful with this group.  Foundation is there, we just need the committed coaching and more excellent recruits.

I'm optimistic; hopefully the "ifs" fall the right way for us...

Smile..... its the Christmas season

ChicoHog

Very thin on the Dline interior losing Davis and Jared Green.  Also LB thin but at least Turner and peters got a lot of playing time.  Juco defensive help needed for sure.

Break & Run

Quote from: ChicoHog on November 24, 2012, 11:24:07 am
Very thin on the Dline interior losing Davis and Jared Green.  Also LB thin but at least Turner and peters got a lot of playing time.  Juco defensive help needed for sure.

I have been VERY impressed with the way that Otha Peters and AJ Turner have progressed over the last 4-6 games.  It's not easy coming in and starting as a true freshman in the SEC.

Both know how to THUMP an offensive player and I LOVE THAT.
Quote from: Michael BernalWhat's your favorite Arkansas tradition?
"I can't be cliché and say 'Call the Hogs,' but I think I have to.  That's just something that sets our university apart.  When you're out on the field and everyone in the stadium stands up, it's amazing.  Even when we're at a football or basketball game, just to see that many people around you doing the same thing for you when you're on the field or for the other guys who are playing, it's pretty awesome."

Tim Harris

Will have to develop an OL and get a few Juco/HS kids that are immediate impact players. The new coach will have a brutal schedule but still should win several games while getting his systems implemented.

iCalledThatHogBrotha!

Also isn't Ascolese supposed to make it next year?

rude1

We should not see a dramatic drop off? We went 4-8, I think it's next to impossible to see a dramatic drop off from that. Please STOP, don't start it all over again on just how loaded we are, when the fact is, we are sorely lacking in SEC quality talent and depth.

nebhog70

Returning players from a 4-8 team may not be an asset
"Never surrender opportunity for security."
Branch Rickey

hawgball9401

Definitely a bowl capable team. With the right coach(es).

three hog night

Quote from: Tim Harris on November 24, 2012, 11:31:14 am
Will have to develop an OL and get a few Juco/HS kids that are immediate impact players. The new coach will have a brutal schedule but still should win several games while getting his systems implemented.

The Oline and LB needs immediate Juco help.  A month or so ago I would have said the secondary needs Juco but the FR have stepped up quite well. 
Petrino left a mess and Bielema is trying to fill in the talent gaps.  Anderson finally has some talent to work with.  He needs more at select positions and that will come in the next recruiting class. 
Posters that think they are Jim Rhome are ruining message boards.

jjdlc

Quote from: iCalledThatHogBrotha! on November 24, 2012, 11:52:00 am
Also isn't Ascolese supposed to make it next year?

Believe I read somewhere he is now enrolled for spring, so if thats the case, then yes.

Holy City Hog

Quote from: nebhog70 on November 24, 2012, 12:09:54 pm

Apparently you haven't been paying attention.

This team was talented enough to win & undisciplined enough to lose every time they took the field.  Turnovers + pre-snap penalties + lack of in-game adjustments = difference between 4-8 & 8-4. That has everything to do with coaching . . . not the ability of players.

462 total yards of offense vs the 5th ranked defense in NCAA. 13 pts to show for it. Sums up the whole season - promise unfulfilled.

ss1000

Quote from: rude1 on November 24, 2012, 11:55:32 am
We should not see a dramatic drop off? We went 4-8, I think it's next to impossible to see a dramatic drop off from that. Please STOP, don't start it all over again on just how loaded we are, when the fact is, we are sorely lacking in SEC quality talent and depth.

Agree
Its not much of a crime to whack a surly bartender.

I hope your wrong, yes sir captain, me too, but I aint.

MRPRFCT

I wouldn't count our chickens yet. Wait until we find out who, if any, transfers.

The_Iceman

Quote from: jcul28 on November 24, 2012, 09:40:11 am
Is Allen progresses...thats an 8 win team. Which is sad losing all we are losing. Makes you realize how baf this season really went.

8 wins? Have you seen the schedule next year?

Pig in the Pokey

i know Knile had a terrible year but i'd don't see him as a 4th stringer next year. SURELY he'll crack the 3 deep!
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

Iwastherein1969

losing coaches from a 4-8 team is most definitely an asset
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

ChicoHog

Quote from: Holy City Hog on November 24, 2012, 01:01:18 pm
Apparently you haven't been paying attention.

This team was talented enough to win & undisciplined enough to lose every time they took the field.  Turnovers + pre-snap penalties + lack of in-game adjustments = difference between 4-8 & 8-4. That has everything to do with coaching . . . not the ability of players.

462 total yards of offense vs the 5th ranked defense in NCAA. 13 pts to show for it. Sums up the whole season - promise unfulfilled.
Agree with what you said but we are still very thin, especially the back 7.  Also the injuries were huge on a team that was not very deep to start with.

Holy City Hog

Quote from: ChicoHog on November 24, 2012, 01:33:49 pm
Agree with what you said but we are still very thin, especially the back 7.  Also the injuries were huge on a team that was not very deep to start with.

Agreed. Back 7 depth won't get fixed in 1 season either. This team ranked dead last in SEC passing defense.

However, I'm optimistic there's enough DE edge speed on this roster to be more disruptive & not cause LB's/DB's to stay in coverage so long.

The D-staff was so focused on stopping the run to start to season that they held DE's back from exploding up field. Flowers basically said this after his breakout game vs Auburn. Since the staff turned them loose both he & C.Smith have made much more of an impact. 

Hogwild

Quote from: bigpigpimpin on November 24, 2012, 01:50:25 pm
Next year will be worse, 2-10 or 3-9, then it will start getting better.

I don't think it will be that bad, but the first three games of the years are must wins, because the next month is brutal- @Rutgers, A&M, @Florida, South Carolina, @Bama.
After that stretch the only game in Fayetteville is Auburn.

Grunt

Quote from: lchog on November 24, 2012, 09:48:38 am
With a good HC we would have won 8 or 9 games this year and yesterday would have been one of them!
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
The above is likely to be highly biased and may not be defensible.

Hulk HOGan

Quote from: bigpigpimpin on November 24, 2012, 01:50:25 pm
Next year will be worse, 2-10 or 3-9, then it will start getting better.
I actually see at worst 4-8 and at best 7-5.

dizzy_lavender

Bobby petrino would have won 9 or 10 games this year!!!!

You buffoons that think coaching doesnt matter deserve a mediocre coach just to shut you people up but then the rest of us would suffer longer.

HogWildBison2011

didnt i hear somewhere vin ascole is coming finally

jjdlc

Yes, in recruiting forum, it was posted that he had been cleared and was enrolled for spring semester.

The_Iceman

So we will lose Tyler Wilson, Dennis Johnson, Chris Gragg, DD Jones, and Ross Rasner..... and have a much tougher schedule...... And win that many more games?

thekid

Quote from: The_Iceman on November 24, 2012, 03:44:33 pm
So we will lose Tyler Wilson, Dennis Johnson, Chris Gragg, DD Jones, and Ross Rasner..... and have a much tougher schedule...... And win that many more games?
[/quote

But all were rather mediocre this season. Bad ints, fumbles, dropped passes, penalties, physically mismatched,  effort... etc.

Pig In The City

Quote from: three hog night on November 24, 2012, 12:27:12 pm
The Oline and LB needs immediate Juco help.  A month or so ago I would have said the secondary needs Juco but the FR have stepped up quite well. 

This.  It still wouldn't hurt to have extra depth in the secondary. 

TeedupHigh

But i thought with little bobby and these player they could have won it all?!?!?

razorbackcpa

Quote from: lchog on November 24, 2012, 09:33:31 am
We have a very good group returning and with the right coaching should not see a dramatic falloff.

Ummm...I would prefer NO falloff.

Sooie-cidal

Maybe I missed it, but Kaleb Blanchard will be in the backfield next year too. Good kid with a bright future playing for the hogs
Quote from: Arthur Dick Ranney on September 24, 2012, 10:10:16 pm
well that is 7 more wins than this team is going to get eistinen

b_stackhouse

Quote from: The_Iceman on November 24, 2012, 01:13:46 pm
8 wins? Have you seen the schedule next year?

This.

We have road games against Rutgers, Florida, Alabama and LSU. Throw in tough home games with A&M and South Carolina. I think we will be lucky to be bowl eligible.

tophawg19

rutgers and florida are very beatable. we should have beat LSU but gave it away . The ags will be very beatable too, they lose a ton of SR's esp. that o=line has several. SO . CAROLINA also losses quite a bit
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

The_Iceman

Quote from: tophawg19 on November 24, 2012, 05:25:13 pm
rutgers and florida are very beatable. we should have beat LSU but gave it away . The ags will be very beatable too, they lose a ton of SR's esp. that o=line has several. SO . CAROLINA also losses quite a bit

Beatable? Wow, you have a lot more confidence in a very unproven 2013 roster than I do.

We have no idea how good this team will be. NONE, no matter who we bring in.

regi

QB-Allen, Mitchell, Reed (A. Allen
TB-JWill, Nate Holmes, D Roberts, Kody Walker (sure to add a rb)
FB-Kiero, Walker, Linton, Shearin
TE-Voelzke, Tate, Dean (2 impact FR.)
WR-Mckay, Horton, Herndon, Cowan, Hatcher, Minor, Wilson
OL- Swanson, Bailey, Cook, Hurd, Stringer, Charpentier, Smothers, Ollison,     Danenhaur, Beck, Ward, and Boyd (Guys need to step up)

DE-Smith, Flowers, Flynn, Wise, Winston, Wise, T. Johnson, Lewis (Huge potential here)
DT-B Jones, R. Thomas, Hodge, Philon, Arkadie (need a JC here)
LB-AJ, Otha, Lake(team weakness yet again)
CB-Tevin, Hines, Sleepy, Ray Bu jr, Fisher jr, Collins (Washington)
SS-Gaines, Bennett, Lowe, Turner, Mitchell

Not a bare cupboard, but could use some newcomer help at LB and S. Not sure about Special Teams

Hawg Balling

Quote from: lchog on November 24, 2012, 09:33:31 amLB   Otha Peters, Braylan Mitchell, A.J. Turner, Jarrett Lake

Probably the most disconcerting of the list. Peters and Turner showed flashes of brilliance, but lack of linebacker depth has killed us the last few years, and well be hamstrung until we can get more bodies on campus.

Hawg Balling

Quote from: tophawg19 on November 24, 2012, 05:25:13 pm

Pass that ish, yo

Lake City Hog

When I said falloff I wasn't talking about this year, I was talking about the last 3 years! And, yes with good coaching we could have won 8 this year. I'm not talking about Petrino, Butch Davis could have led us to 8 wins just on coaching ability over JLS.

I really think that the O'Line could be very good next year, we have the talent they just need better coaching. Running back should be about even, Williams has shown SEC ability already. Our young receivers got a lot of experience this year and will have Horton/Herndon to lead them.

We had so many injuries this year that it would be very hard for me to say that we will miss anyone other than Tyler Wilson. QB is the key, if we get good production from our QB we will have a pretty good chance.

Tavarres getting here for the spring and learning the system with Peters and Turner means that we certainly won't be any worse off than we were this year. Lake, Mitchell and maybe Kelly-Thomas provide some depth. Linebacker will be thin, but we have dealt with that for more than 1 year.

The D'Backs should be much better with Mitchell and Hines at the corners and Gaines and Bennett at the safeties. McKinney, Lowe, Buchannan and Washington aren't going to just rollover for anyone.

The glass is half full or half empty, just depends on your point of view. I choose to look at it from a positive perspective, but then I'm not trying to heap blame upon our ex-coach!

Smithian

If the O-Line is solid, our offense should roll some people next year. Brandon Allen projects to be a stud (refuse to fault him for participating in this hell season). The wideouts will be deep.

The defense could be solid with good coaching.

No reason we shouldn't aim for 8-9 wins next year, but I wouldn't be surprised by a 6 or 7 win performance.

prairiehogcompanion

Wow. Was there a sale on rose-colored glasses and I missed it?

It's a little early to be as optimistic as a few of you seem to be when you don't even know who the next Jeff Long target is.

(Grobe, Bowden, Petrino, Smith, _____?)

reddogjcss

The new head hog will have a winning season his first year! If not that should be his only year!

HogSophist

Quote from: RebelHog59 on November 24, 2012, 09:39:47 am
Honestly, with or without Knile this group still looks alright. I was originally very concerned about this next season, but looking at some of the young guns that have made the most of their opportunities this season, I'm confident in what they can bring back to the table with a full off-season under a real coaching staff and complete closure to the last year. Obviously we're going to miss Tyler, that goes without saying, but if we can bring in a good OC/QB's coach that can work on developing either Mitchell or Allen, then I think we will be okay. That will be the biggest question mark coming into next season without a doubt.

Why would there be no k. Davis?
signature removed by Hogville staff. (but Erie's quote revived because I missed it)

In an era where there are over $70 trillion in future obligations, beyond the debt,   taking up practices in budgeting that are tantamount to saying 'And then in 2040, a magic dragon will sh*tpoopy $100 trillion and fix our problems'  simply isn't wise. --ErieHog

redswarmrising

HoggyCat

What an idiot. I'm not even gonna try.
I'm only responsible for what I say, not how you perceive it.

Southpointhog

Come on please......look the coaching and how many games we should have won.....Ole Miss, LSU, ULM and Rutgers......that is 8 wins.

Must be rough always living in the negative dark hole of life.  Will you be happy with any hire?  If so be honest who?

ChicoHog

The other thing people are forgetting that whoever we bring in will have their own system and terminology.  Sometimes it takes a few games or even a season to adapt.  Both offense and defense.