Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Got the .243 build finished

Started by CallThemHawgs!, September 09, 2014, 07:57:33 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

CallThemHawgs!

Here is the first few rounds out of the DPMS SASS in .243

Finally took her out today. Still waiting on the Franklin Armory FSR free float rail, low pro gas block, and cerakote.

Running all DPMS internals, Magpul PRS stock, Hogue grip, teflon coated HBAR, and the SJC Titan .308 comp. Which, as you will see in the video is absolutely INSANE.

Using full power .243 rounds, this thing kicks like a light 5.56 load with this comp.

More to come once everything gets finished.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJiC7eLDWsc

kodiakisland

Say, I was a little confused.  Wasn't sure if I was watching a gun video or a dating site promo.  Got a better look at your butt than your rifle.
If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

CallThemHawgs!

Quote from: kodiakisland on September 10, 2014, 06:50:18 am
Say, I was a little confused.  Wasn't sure if I was watching a gun video or a dating site promo.  Got a better look at your butt than your rifle.

Hope you liked it ;)

It was just a test run, 10 round function check. Point of the video was mainly to show how flat it is even at a relatively high rate of fire. By myself so the camera angle was tough, and muzzle blast was pretty severe @90 degrees.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

CallThemHawgs!

Quote from: DeltaBoy on September 10, 2014, 08:40:36 am
Cool set up.

Thanks Delta, just to be clear, the build is not finished.

I have a 4-16 Vortex Viper HS LR scope thats not mounted in the video, and it still needs a new gas block, front rail, and bipod put on along with cerakote.

Its going to make one helluva long range semi auto platform when finished. I will update here soon. 

DeltaBoy

It should be a real good rifle with the quality of parts your using.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

Rzbakfromwaybak

Sounds & looks like a nice rig, John Quincy.  Like your choice of cal.. the .243 over the usual 5.56

Little concerned with exactly where that video & test fire was conducted.  Can't see much,  but I can see the white line. Wanted to ask what Highway that was, so I don't accidentally drive that way during a range test....  ;D
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

CallThemHawgs!

Quote from: Rzbakfromwaybak on September 10, 2014, 02:09:37 pm
Sounds & looks like a nice rig, John Quincy.  Like your choice of cal.. the .243 over the usual 5.56

Little concerned with exactly where that video & test fire was conducted.  Can't see much,  but I can see the white line. Wanted to ask what Highway that was, so I don't accidentally drive that way during a range test....  ;D

Lol, up near the tunnel man. Just because it sounds cool shooting through there ;)

That .243 hits like a sledgehammer. Love it so far. Amazing ballistics compared to the .223, or even .308

kodiakisland

What twist did you go with?  I've been wanting an 8 or 7 twist to shoot some of the newer VLD bullets that have come out in the last 10 years or so. 

Didn't want to ask about that highway you were on. 
If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

TeufelHog

CallThemHawgs!

Quote from: kodiakisland on September 10, 2014, 04:35:46 pm
What twist did you go with?  I've been wanting an 8 or 7 twist to shoot some of the newer VLD bullets that have come out in the last 10 years or so. 

Didn't want to ask about that highway you were on. 

Its a 1x10, I looked at different twist rates and from everything I have read this should be good for my needs. My planned load is between 95-107, thats what seems to be the best for most long range guys anyway, so I stuck with the standard 1x10

For anything above 107gr you really need to crank it up. 1x8 or so. But .243 is odd because what works in one, does not work in others. Most seem very choosey about weights. Going to try and get this one worked out soon.

CallThemHawgs!

Some guys say the 1x10 cant handle anything above 100gr, while others shoot 105s all day without issue. Its really all up to your gun.

CallThemHawgs!

Quote from: TeufelHog on September 10, 2014, 06:45:54 pm
How about some pics of the weapon????

Haha sorry man, just the terrible video for now. Once it gets the rail on and is ready to cerakote I will snap a pic for before/after reference.

kodiakisland

I would really be surprised if you get great accuracy out of any 105s in a 10 twist, but you never know till you try them.

CallThemHawgs!

Quote from: kodiakisland on September 10, 2014, 07:08:43 pm
I would really be surprised if you get great accuracy out of any 105s in a 10 twist, but you never know till you try them.

Thats kinda what I am thinking. Seems like maybe 1 out of 5 guns will shoot them well with 1x10

Probably going to have to stick with 100gr MatchKings

kodiakisland

Might not be that big a deal.  I'm not familiar with the .243 in an AR.  The OAL with the 105+ might be too long for the magazine anyway.

CallThemHawgs!

Quote from: kodiakisland on September 10, 2014, 09:26:09 pm
Might not be that big a deal.  I'm not familiar with the .243 in an AR.  The OAL with the 105+ might be too long for the magazine anyway.

I dont think it makes much of a difference, some guys swear by 5 grains. Like make or break what they consider a good carry ammo, etc. With the .243 there is a fine line between getting the velocity you want, and keeping that thing humming along out past 1,000m

I have not seen much data on .243 semi autos either, especially out of a 20 inch barrel. Going to be lots of trial and error for sure.

kodiakisland

Really, unless you plan to spend a lot of time shooting 500+ yards or shoot in strong winds, the 100grs will work well.  I would like to play with some of those high BC bullets in the 107-115gr range though just to see what they can do.

CallThemHawgs!

Quote from: kodiakisland on September 10, 2014, 10:09:46 pm
Really, unless you plan to spend a lot of time shooting 500+ yards or shoot in strong winds, the 100grs will work well.  I would like to play with some of those high BC bullets in the 107-115gr range though just to see what they can do.
]

Man, there is a video of a guy going out to 1,600 yds using 105gr Hornady A-max`s

Just crazy... the BC on most of the long boat tails is somewhere just above .500, which is pretty damn good. Most people dont know the .243 is capable of that.

kodiakisland

You can push a 115gr DTAC with a BC over .58 to 3000fps.  It's hard to get better than that with anything, much less something that is as easy to shoot as the .243.

CallThemHawgs!

Quote from: kodiakisland on September 10, 2014, 10:32:13 pm
You can push a 115gr DTAC with a BC over .58 to 3000fps.  It's hard to get better than that with anything, much less something that is as easy to shoot as the .243.

Haha yup, I am going to start working up some loads for this thing asap. I am anxious to see what the semi auto platform with a shorter barrel can do

Rzbakfromwaybak

Quote from: John Quincy Poodle on September 10, 2014, 06:50:25 pm

Its a 1x10, I looked at different twist rates and from everything I have read this should be good for my needs. My planned load is between 95-107, thats what seems to be the best for most long range guys anyway, so I stuck with the standard 1x10

For anything above 107gr you really need to crank it up. 1x8 or so. But .243 is odd because what works in one, does not work in others. Most seem very choosey about weights. Going to try and get this one worked out soon.

Been shooting & reloading .243's since the 70's.  A bullet you might give a try is the Sierra 85gr HPBT #1530, for general purpose.  It's not going to have the BC the 100+ gr bullets, or shoot as well at 1000m, etc...but it is a surprising good bullet for deer, hogs, coyotes & paper.  Shot 6 hogs last year with it, all one shot kills.  No neck or head shots, all behind the shoulder.  This bullet is much tougher than most HP's, it's made with a harder lead than a normal Sierra.  It is also very accurate, even though the BC is not listed high.  It's the only bullet I shoot in my 3, 243's & one 6mm Rem.  IMR 4350 is the powder that shoots very accurate with that bullet in all of them.  All 4 of my 6mm cal. rifles, have 20" barrels & 1x10 twist.  I pay more attention to accuracy than speed, & I'm not shooting max. loads.  Believe my pet load is shooting about 2900 fps in all four guns.  That bullet can be cranked up to about 3,200 + fps in a 24" barrel.  I have given my pet load with this bullet to 2 other friends.....shot lights out for both of them.
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

DeltaBoy

Should be a great all around gun.