Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

chip-flew-out-of-the-fido

Started by AcornHunter, September 09, 2014, 06:36:46 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

AcornHunter

In DLUXHOG's Sept 5 thread, which I enjoyed reading–I thank you, he mentioned whippoorwills.  It has been a few years since I've heard one, and I do sit on the front porch in a rural area late evenings and on into darkness quite often.  Years past, late 50's early 60's, summer sun been down, it seemed like you were surrounded by them.  Then and now, location is extreme SW Arkansas.

Are you all hearing them now, or just rememberin?

Hogs run wild

We all got a chicken duck woman thing waiting for us.

AcornHunter

I thank you for the link.

After Googling around, I don't know if I was listening to a Whip-poor-will or a common nighthawk, but this I do know:  The call hits me as deeply as it hit ole Hank.  I'll just say the both of us were touched by a nightjar.

Virgil

I hear them every night at my house in central Arkansas. 
It's not what you push but what pushes you!!

pigture perfect

Living in town, I don't get to hear much of anything except crickets and locusts.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

DeltaBoy

I still hear them and Bob Whites down at the old home place near Clarendon.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

caneybuck

Quote from: Hogs run wild on September 09, 2014, 06:49:17 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXnnfg1CepE

this?

The audio in this video clip is actually from a chuck-will's-widow not a whip-poor-will.  Both are found in similar habitat and have ranges that overlap.  The plumage is also similar but the chuck-will's-widow is a little larger than the whip-poor-will.  You might Google both and and listen to the audio of each call. They can be heard calling at night throughout Arkansas from about the first of April into early summer. Really neat birds to hear at night!     

grayhawg

Not as plentiful in West Central Ar as they used to be but still hear them on occasion.

JIMMY BOARFFETT

The whip-poor-will is not as common as it used to be.  It is much more common to  hear the chuck-will's-widow.  In fact, any time I do hear a whip-poor-will now, I stop and listen and remember the times past.  I'm in Pike County by the way.
My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.