Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fayetteville ranked 5th best place to live in the country according to us news

Started by FATHAWG08, February 13, 2018, 09:25:04 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

FATHAWG08

This staff will sell this to the Recruits/Parents!!
I love off season Football!!

factchecker

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

razCzar

Quote from: FATHAWG08 on February 13, 2018, 09:25:04 pm

You can bet they have been.

MUST READ:
What's it like to live in Fayetteville, AR?
https://realestate.usnews.com/places/arkansas/fayetteville

In addition to this, Fayetteville is also #14 in Best Places to Retire, according to the same folks.

hoglady

Quote from: FATHAWG08 on February 13, 2018, 09:25:04 pm

NW Arkansas is a great place to settle down and raise a family.

That's not exactly what a teenager is concerned with when choosing a school to attend.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

razCzar

Quote from: hoglady on February 13, 2018, 11:23:02 pm

That's not exactly what a teenager is concerned with when choosing a school to attend.

Have you ever lived there - Fayetteville / not NW Arkansas?
Best place "to live" means everybody - teenagers included - for many other reasons than settling down.
So this can be a selling point in recruiting, especially with their families.

HogHomer

Quote from: razCzar on February 13, 2018, 11:45:24 pm
Best place "to live" means everybody - teenagers included - for many other reasons than settling down.
What is there to do close enough to Fayetteville for a teenager, if they grew up in a metropolitan area and aren't interested in the outdoors?

I think it's amazing that people have such a high opinion of Fayetteville but hoglady is right it isn't that big of a selling point.

Großer Kriegschwein

Unfortunately, football recruiting is similar to my reasons for not moving to NW Arkansas.

Too far from the family. 4 hours away is still 4 hours away.
This is my non-signature signature.

factchecker

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

(notOM)Rebel123

The US News ranking is for the Fayetteville-Springdale-Rogers, AR-MO Metropolitan Statistical Area which also includes Siloam Springs. FWIW.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

BILLYBOB

I'm a 53 year old lumpy businessman with 3 kids and a mortgage.  Fayetteville, to me, is the most awesome place on earth. If I'm a good lookin 19 year old athlete, my opinion is probably different.
"The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence." ~Charles Bukowski

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: HogHomer on February 14, 2018, 01:22:53 am
What is there to do close enough to Fayetteville for a teenager, if they grew up in a metropolitan area and aren't interested in the outdoors?

I think it's amazing that people have such a high opinion of Fayetteville but hoglady is right it isn't that big of a selling point.

Did you ever stop to think how many players we've had come from metro areas. By the way NWA now is a metro area.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

BILLYBOB

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on February 14, 2018, 04:25:48 am
Did you ever stop to think how many players we've had come from metro areas. By the way NWA now is a metro area.

Fayetteville may feel like a metro area if you're coming from Hindsville or Kingston. But if you're coming from Dallas, Chicago, Houston, St. Louis, or Atlanta...Fayetteville feels like a small, isolated, farming village. (I love Fayetteville, I'm just saying...)
"The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence." ~Charles Bukowski

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: HogHomer on February 14, 2018, 01:22:53 am

What isn't there..?
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

BILLYBOB

Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLine™ on February 14, 2018, 04:38:40 am
What isn't there..?

Millions of people
Skyscrapers
Top Golf
Capital Grille
Tesla Delership
Justin Timberlake concert
IKEA
Restaurants and shopping choices
Tech jobs
Diversity
Good movie theatres
Shake Shack/In-N-Out/Fat Burger
Professional Sports
Mass Transit
Etc...

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: BILLYBOB on February 14, 2018, 05:27:50 am
Millions of people
Skyscrapers
Top Golf....you never know.
Capital Grille...Ruth's Chris
Tesla Dealership...who cares?
Justin Timberlake concert...again, who cares? Good concerts at the AMP. Short drives to Tulsa, OK, KC.
IKEA...particleboard.
Restaurants and shopping choices...numerous restaurants. Shopping improving.
Tech jobs...have you looked lately?
Diversity...again, have you taken a look around? Especially Springdale, Rogers, & Bentonville.
Good movie theaters....4 Malcos & AMC with IMAX, reclining seats and serve alcohol. Plus the world-class Crystal Bridges Museum of Modern Art & the Walton Arts Center.
Shake Shack/In-N-Out/Fat Burger...5 Guys, Big Orange, Smitty's, Feltner Brothers, Hugo's...throw in Whattaburger and Dairy Queen, if you'd like..
Professional Sports...Arkansas Razorbacks, NWA Naturals Baseball.
Mass Transit....Ozark Regional Transit, UofA transit.
Etc...

I'll throw in great schools...which you left off of your list.
30+ people per day move into NWA. One of the fastest growing areas in the country. Great place to live and work. Does it offer the things that a major metropolitan area does, no. But it also doesn't have the traffic, pollution, crime, high cost of living, and headaches of one either....thank goodness. But to each his own.

Redhogs

Millions of people
Skyscrapers
Top Golf
Capital Grille
Tesla Delership
IKEA
Tech jobs
Diversity
Good movie theatres
Professional Sports
Mass Transit
Etc...
Wrong. I did leave all those things at one time though...and glad i did.
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

Lao Tsuie

We were ranked #1 in the Country last year or year before, what the heck happened? Last week I went to two great theater productions and saw a hellova basketball game. The thing I think we miss out on is bringing recruits and parents up I-49 and letting them see the school from there. Its a beautiful drive and then to see Old Main and the Stadium at the same time is quite an experience. FB thought it was anyway.

Redhogs

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on February 14, 2018, 06:50:12 am
30+ people per day move into NWA. One of the fastest growing areas in the country. Great place to live and work. Does it offer the things that a major metropolitan area does, no. But it also doesn't have the traffic, pollution, crime, high cost of living, and headaches of one either....thank goodness. But to each his own.
Yea...wish it would quit growing.
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

Lao Tsuie

It has a lot of traffic but it all seems to flow very well, never seems conjested.

Russ22

Quote from: Lao Tsuie on February 14, 2018, 07:44:53 am
It has a lot of traffic but it all seems to flow very well, never seems conjested.
Traffic?  Haha. You should some real traffic. Albuquerque is horrible and I did that for 6 years. No thank you. The Bay Area is even worse. I hate going on those business trips. I always end up out there when Berkeley protesters end up on the interstate.
For the latest Arkansas High School 7-on-7 football news:

http://7on7football.blogspot.com/

DLUXHOG

Fayetteville is Eureka Springs on steroids....(aka - extremely liberal, but I could only wish I could live there again)
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

little pigee

Quote from: hoglady on February 13, 2018, 11:23:02 pm

Change your handle to DEBBIE DOWNER.
It's not about the money...it's about the amount of money.

Hog-N-Ham

This is good publicity for not only Fayetteville / Northwest Arkansas and the University, but the entire state ... all Arkansans should be happy to see this kind of positive news for our state.

Hog_Fink

Quote from: DLUXHOG on February 14, 2018, 08:08:21 am
Fayetteville is Eureka Springs on steroids....(aka - extremely liberal, but I could only wish I could live there again)

lol ::rolls eyes::

fayetteville is becoming more & more homogenized with the unsustainable enrollment growth of the uofa. Bunch of student housing complexes for Texas kids. it's their town now. might as well be university of Texas at fayetteville

little pigee

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on February 14, 2018, 06:50:12 am
Rebel, You are trying to teach a pig how to sing.  Does two things, wastes your time, and pisses the pig off.
It's not about the money...it's about the amount of money.

steveaustin69

I have. It's a fine college town. It's not as great as you think it is.

Lao Tsuie

Quote from: Russ22 on February 14, 2018, 08:03:30 am
Traffic?  Haha. You should some real traffic. Albuquerque is horrible and I did that for 6 years. No thank you. The Bay Area is even worse. I hate going on those business trips. I always end up out there when Berkeley protesters end up on the interstate.

Haha, I got lost one time coming in from Pittsburg to Candlestick and ended up in Berkley but bless goodness it was Sunday.

Vantage 8 dude

Millions of people
Skyscrapers
Top Golf
Capital Grille
Tesla Delership
IKEA
Tech jobs
Diversity
Good movie theatres
Professional Sports
Mass Transit
Etc...
And of course using your line of "reasoning" ALL of those factors are utmost in the minds of recruits

RME

Millions of people
Skyscrapers
Top Golf
Capital Grille
Tesla Delership
IKEA
Tech jobs
Diversity
Good movie theatres
Professional Sports
Mass Transit
Etc...

Will this team compete at a high level
Will this coaching staff get me to the NFL
Will I mind living here for just 3-4 years
What do the chicks on this campus look like
How far from my family will I be

FIFY

Hogtimes

Agree that Fayetteville is Eureka Springs on steriods.   I like living  in NWA.....but I would not want to live in Fayetteville nor Eureka Springs.

sowmonella

Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

RT1941

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on February 14, 2018, 09:45:30 am
FIFY
Excellent edit!

Recruits and their parents want to know if the coaching staff has stability, can they field a competitive team and develop their son so that he can showcase his abilities?  Will the program offer resources and support so that their child can be successful in the classroom?  Does the program have a history of putting players into the pro's? 
RazorTusk!!!!

The NewEra

The Coaches certainly are using this to sell the program to recruits.  There is a reason that all the recruiting analyst and coaches say that historically the key to giving yourself a great shot at a recruit is to get them to Fayetteville.  The campus, the scenery and facilities sell themselves.  The surrounding community has a southern hospitality to it and the people that live in the area embrace that southern charm and are heavily faith based.  Everything is Razorback and it extends throughout the state.

Certainly the area doesn't fit every young man's taste, but it does for many.  It's another nice tool to put in your recruiting tool belt if you're a coach here. 

It's not an accident NWA is consistently on that best place to live, fastest growing areas list every year. 

hawgon

I don't know if it attractive to recruits or not but I have been saying since the Nutt era that part of a comprehensive approach to recruiting should be to stress stuff like this.  How many times have we heard recruits remark that Arkansas is nothing like they thought it would be once they got there?  We need to aggressively market the region in order to counter the perception amongst the lesser informed that Fayetteville is a real life rendition of Silver Dollar City.

I am glad to see that we have a staff that finally understands that.  NWA is as nice of a region and setting for a college as there is in the entire country.  THAT should be a plus in any situation and things like this ranking OBJECTIVELY DEMONSTRATE that it is the truth and not mere BS spewed trying to get a kid and his family interested

Of course, it won't work on every kid but maybe we finally have a staff that will play to our strengths instead of bemoaning our weaknesses.

The NewEra

Quote from: hawgon on February 14, 2018, 10:25:26 am
I don't know if it attractive to recruits or not but I have been saying since the Nutt era that part of a comprehensive approach to recruiting should be to stress stuff like this.  How many times have we heard recruits remark that Arkansas is nothing like they thought it would be once they got there?  We need to aggressively market the region in order to counter the perception amongst the lesser informed that Fayetteville is a real life rendition of Silver Dollar City.

I am glad to see that we have a staff that finally understands that.  NWA is as nice of a region and setting for a college as there is in the entire country.  THAT should be a plus in any situation and things like this ranking OBJECTIVELY DEMONSTRATE that it is the truth and not mere BS spewed trying to get a kid and his family interested

Of course, it won't work on every kid but maybe we finally have a staff that will play to our strengths instead of bemoaning our weaknesses.

Amen brother!

Razorbackers

Millions of people
Skyscrapers
Top Golf
Capital Grille
Tesla Delership
IKEA
Tech jobs
Diversity
Good movie theatres
Professional Sports
Mass Transit
Etc...

You're correct about most of these things, but it's not exactly a disadvantage. Most college towns don't have those things. Vandy is the only school not in a college town in the SEC off the top of my head. Everywhere else the town is centered around the university.

Razorbackers

Extremely liberal apparently means rapidly growing economy, job options, and affordable living.

Sign me up.

HogPharmer

Quote from: BILLYBOB on February 14, 2018, 03:43:08 am
I'm a 53 year old lumpy businessman with 3 kids and a mortgage.  Fayetteville, to me, is the most awesome place on earth. If I'm a good lookin 19 year old athlete, my opinion is probably different.

Have you ever seen any of the girls at the U of A?
Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pmRemember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!
Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on June 07, 2022, 01:57:05 pmRuscin needs a big one- Michael Carter has been our best player- or second best at worst- lately.
Quote from: PorkSoda on August 21, 2019, 02:19:03 pmwe can't be terrible forever.
Quote from: The OTR on December 01, 2018, 09:43:29 amGonna start reward season with an important one.
Hogpharmer.  There will be no vote.  He rid us of hoginmemphis, otherwise known as gomerbullinmemphis, and no one else can match that accomplishment in our lifetime.

thebignasty

There are more people living in the nwa metro than in St. Louis or Kansas City.
Quote from: IronHog on March 22, 2016, 02:08:54 pm
They shoot family in Bama
But they win
Quote from: nuttless hog on January 13, 2021, 04:03:02 pm
take me almost all day to get it up to ride it 5 minutes

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: thebignasty on February 14, 2018, 10:56:31 am
There are more people living in the nwa metro than in St. Louis or Kansas City.

You are comparing apple to oranges. While technically true, The Northwest Ark. MSA is approx. 535,000 which is more than the actual populations within the  KC & STL City limits. The same can be said for the Springfield-Branson MSA. However, the Kansas City "Metro area" is around 2.4 million and St. Louis "Metro" around 2.9 million. But I'll take living in NWA over KC or STL any day.

Vantage 8 dude

Some will argue that being on this list means nothing when it comes to a recruit and his family possibly choosing a university. And no doubt there are many factors that determine where a kid goes to school. Having said that, I will say that having the NWA area being named in the top 5 places to live is certainly preferable to having it named as "One of the bottom five places to live in the U.S.". Anyone think that would seriously help our efforts ???

RME

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on February 14, 2018, 11:37:29 am
Some will argue that being on this list means nothing when it comes to a recruit and his family possibly choosing a university. And no doubt there are many factors that determine where a kid goes to school. Having said that, I will say that having the NWA area being named in the top 5 places to live is certainly preferable to having it named as "One of the bottom five places to live in the U.S.". Anyone think that would seriously help our efforts ???

Did anyone in here even remotely hint at such a thing?

Razorbackers

my face when a city in our state is named one of the best places to live and it sparks an argument

ricepig

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on February 14, 2018, 11:33:52 am
You are comparing apple to oranges. While technically true, The Northwest Ark. MSA is approx. 535,000 which is more than the actual populations within the  KC & STL City limits. The same can be said for the Springfield-Branson MSA. However, the Kansas City "Metro area" is around 2.4 million and St. Louis "Metro" around 2.9 million. But I'll take living in NWA over KC or STL any day.

Huh.??....I had you as an East St. Louis type of guy.....

kodiakisland

Quote from: BILLYBOB on February 14, 2018, 03:43:08 am
I’m a 53 year old lumpy businessman with 3 kids and a mortgage.  Fayetteville, to me, is the most awesome place on earth. If I’m a good lookin 19 year old athlete, my opinion is probably different.

Yep.  NWA is not bad for this old man.  Warm weather and a beach would have looked great when I was 18 though.  Come to think of it, it still sounds pretty good.
If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

Razorbackers

Quote from: kodiakisland on February 14, 2018, 11:53:38 am
Yep.  NWA is not bad for this old man.  Warm weather and a beach would have looked great when I was 18 though.  Come to think of it, it still sounds pretty good.

Yeah but then you gotta pay the sunshine tax.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on February 14, 2018, 11:38:43 am
Did anyone in here even remotely hint at such a thing?
Totally missed the point. No, I never even hinted that it would. However, some are dogging the fact that the area HAS been listed as a top five spot. So taking that line of "reasoning" (obviously a HUGE stretch no doubt) the comment was made very much as "tongue-in-cheek" that perhaps IF NWA WAS a slum area this would make some recruits feel more comfortable. See how that works ??? ::)

sickboy

Yeah, I agree with the original point. And I agree with you to an extent, especially when it comes to parents.

Personally, Fayetteville is very attractive to me now that I'm in my 30's, have children and am a home owner. But when I lived there as a college student, I wanted nothing more than to leave and explore the world. Everyone's different, but I think now that I'm in the stage of my life where I'm thinking about where I want to live for the long run, though Fayetteville is a great little city, it's just missing a lot of the things I love about living in a bigger metroplex. A lot of which BillyBob mentioned.

At any rate, it's definitely a selling point for recruiting, but we have to realize that every kid is different.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: ricepig on February 14, 2018, 11:44:15 am
Huh.??....I had you as an East St. Louis type of guy.....

Hey, who wouldn't want to spend an afternoon watching the ponies run at Fairmont Park? Not to mention capping off the day at the Casino Queen.
Ahhhh...good times.