Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

5.4 seconds left after timeout

Started by Birddawg23, January 23, 2018, 07:27:02 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Birddawg23

And that was the play call??? I'm a mike fan but that was awful coaching. Losing faith

Arazorbackguy1

I have 10 to 12 points to make per game.

code red

Quote from: Birddawg23 on January 23, 2018, 07:27:02 pm
And that was the play call??? I'm a mike fan but that was awful coaching. Losing faith
Totally agree we were fortunate to win in ot...... absolutely a cluster in the last possession of regulation.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

ShadowHawg

Yep. Every other coach has a play in their pocket that works from 94 feet away except for MA

(notOM)Rebel123

Great 12th post. Geez.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

East TN HAWG

I have a different question here, and it is not directed at MA.  Why do colleges not go for the 2 for 1 when the clock is running down like the pros do? 

Breems

I can personally vouge for Mike that his go-to offensive set with 5.4 seconds remaining is Barford drawing a double-team in the backcourt, struggling to get up the court, and chucking a long 3.

Called him tonight and he's considering drawing up a new play, so don't fret.
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

FineAsSwine

Couldn't the negativity wait until tomorrow. We just won a double overtime game on the road. Who's looking for something to complain about immediately after a win that we had to have.

What about the fortitude shown by the team to shrug off that play and move on and fight to the finish in a very physical and tough game.

Just not understanding the mindset of some of our fans.
Hogs up! Covid down!

TNhawgfan

Quote from: ShadowHawg on January 23, 2018, 08:47:38 pm
Yep. Every other coach has a play in their pocket that works from 94 feet away except for MA
True. GA got off a better shot with only 1.4 seconds left
I'd rather be dead than be a Vol

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: FineAsSwine on January 23, 2018, 08:52:40 pm
Couldn't the negativity wait until tomorrow. We just won a double overtime game on the road. Who's looking for something to complain about immediately after a win that we had to have.

What about the fortitude shown by the team to shrug off that play and move on and fight to the finish in a very physical and tough game.

+1
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

ShadowHawg

Quote from: TNhawgfan on January 23, 2018, 08:52:55 pm

Lol. The shot was a bad angle bank that didn't draw iron, just like ours.

TNhawgfan

Quote from: ShadowHawg on January 23, 2018, 08:54:42 pm
Lol. The shot was a bad angle bank that didn't draw iron, just like ours.
It was a better look than barfords, but I didn't say it was a great look. Point is we should have got a better shot with the amount of time left
I'd rather be dead than be a Vol

hoglady

I'm about 100% certain that's not what Mike wanted them to do.
But it's basketball - sometimes the defense doesn't allow you to do what you want, or you're a step slow and can't get around the defender.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

sowmonella

They are NOT fans.
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

hoglady

Apparently not - it's just relentless and non stop.
Seems there's a bunch in here who aren't too happy with the win.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."

pghawg1

Bitch if we win and bitch if we lose. SAD

ShadowHawg

Quote from: TNhawgfan on January 23, 2018, 08:57:47 pm
It was a better look than barfords, but I didn't say it was a great look. Point is we should have got a better shot with the amount of time left

Please tell how you would have done so.

With 5 seconds you can't throw it length of the court in a tie game like you can with 1.4 and trailing by 3.

When they showed the baseline view replay, GA had the situation very well defended. They doubled Barford by leaving Thompson unguarded 90 feet from the basket.

The only thing I saw we could have done differently was have Macon inbound to Barford and reverse the ball back to Macon which would still leave you with a half court attempt.

hobhog

Quote from: ShadowHawg on January 23, 2018, 09:04:39 pm
Please tell how you would have done so.

With 5 seconds you can't throw it length of the court in a tie game like you can with 1.4 and trailing by 3.

When they showed the baseline view replay, GA had the situation very well defended. They doubled Barford by leaving Thompson unguarded 90 feet from the basket.

The only thing I saw we could have done differently was have Macon inbound to Barford and reverse the ball back to Macon which would still leave you with a half court attempt.

That was what I thought we'd try. Or let Macon get inbound since he is quicker off dribble and better FT shooter. Whatever. 20-20.

hobhog

Quote from: hoglady on January 23, 2018, 09:00:10 pm
Apparently not - it's just relentless and non stop.
Seems there's a bunch in here who aren't too happy with the win.

You have to be realistic. People are frustrated with overall product. Happens to every coach not getting over hump eventually. Football season was brutal for last two years. If we get on a roll it will quiet things, but it just doesn't feel that way.

I'll be at OSU Saturday and hope for best, but will need a strong season end run to think MA is our best future.

AirWarren

14-6.

Fire mike!!!!

rude1

Just simply a play where the defensive call guessed correctly on what the offensive set was going to be. The offense was going to get Barford the ball and let him run off the pick by TT and get to the open court headed to the rim, defense nullified by leaving TT and jump doubling Barford with TT, only open man in Barford's vision was TT, he took his only other remaining option. 

HogMantheIntruder

Quote from: hoglady on January 23, 2018, 08:58:35 pm
I'm about 100% certain that's not what Mike wanted them to do.
But it's basketball - sometimes the defense doesn't allow you to do what you want, or you're a step slow and can't get around the defender.
This is what I was thinking. Barford was tired and he couldn't split the defenders and go charging in for a layup at the buzzer, which is what I assume they were going  for (or a foul). You could argue that MA should have known that, but hindsight and whatnot.
"When life hands you lemons, just shut up and eat the damn lemons."
   -Harry Solomon

CapitalCityHawg

Throwing a long pass is potentially disastrous in that situation too. If we had tried that it's possible they could get the ball back with little to no time off the clock

k.c.hawg

I bitched about it too. Mike put 3 men downcourt trying to clear traffic from the backcourt for Barford. They countered by letting Thompson inbound and doubled Barford. If Barford tries to split it and they steal it or if he tries to throw over the top and they deflect it, there is a good chance we lose the game. I think CMA thought Barford would have a chance to drive towards half court and hit Macon on the wing.  When you are down 16 early and the worst you can do is have a safe attempt to win or potentially give the game up, play safe. I did here them say CMA is 9-1 in his last 10 one possession games. Yeah I know hogville.....he's so damn lucky.
Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

hawginbigd1

Quote from: Breems on January 23, 2018, 08:50:49 pm
I can personally vouge for Mike that his go-to offensive set with 5.4 seconds remaining is Barford drawing a double-team in the backcourt, struggling to get up the court, and chucking a long 3.

Called him tonight and he's considering drawing up a new play, so don't fret.
Well it seems at the end of halves and games we only run slight variations of this same exact play every single time! So let's hope he comes up with a new one!

FineAsSwine

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on January 23, 2018, 09:27:10 pm
Well it seems at the end of halves and games we only run slight variations of this same exact play every single time! So let's hope he comes up with a new one!

9-1 in one possession games. Doesn't need to change a thing.
Hogs up! Covid down!

alaback

What does the OP think of the play Eddie Sutton drew up in the NCAA tournament against Louisville, down by 1 with 5 seconds left?

East TN HAWG

Quote from: FineAsSwine on January 23, 2018, 09:33:26 pm
9-1 in one possession games. Doesn't need to change a thing.

One of the main reasons we are 9-1 is because Macon shoots free throws really well in the clutch.  Wining teams close it out on the free throw line.  Our guards are solid on the free throw line. 

PonderinHog

Quote from: alaback on January 23, 2018, 09:40:15 pm
What does the OP think of the play Eddie Sutton drew up in the NCAA tournament against Louisville, down by 1 with 5 seconds left?
Well, according to Abe Lemons, Eddie had God as his point guard.  That always helps.

logic

That was stupid. Georgia had 1.9 and go a shot off from 20 feet. It is also stupid to have 60 remaining and let the clock run down so you only get one position instead two.

TebowHater

https://twitter.com/Aaron_Torres/status/955974673539330048

This is the same national pundit who asked if he could adopt the hogs this year as his team (early in the year) since his favorite team sucked. AKA he isn't biased against us, in facts wants to root for us. That said, he is correct. We must have the lowest scoring percentage out of time outs from any team - and I am not even concerned about this one with 5.4 seconds left - there were many more / worse.

hoglady

Quote from: hobhog on January 23, 2018, 09:13:43 pm
You have to be realistic. People are frustrated with overall product. Happens to every coach not getting over hump eventually. Football season was brutal for last two years. If we get on a roll it will quiet things, but it just doesn't feel that way.

I'll be at OSU Saturday and hope for best, but will need a strong season end run to think MA is our best future.

I am realistic - this basketball season does not mirror our football season in anyway at all.
We are currently sitting with a 25 RPI and are pretty solidly in the NCAA tournament.
There's no reason for the constant negativity - at this point we could end up with a great, good, mediocre or poor season. There's still tons of basketball yet to play.
Picking apart every win instead of being happy about it doesn't make sense to me.

RedBird5

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on January 23, 2018, 08:49:52 pm
Great 12th post. Geez.

Great rebuttal.  Geez.   Why the the fact that most  people don't have time to post 20,000 times on here mean they don't get an opinion?  Seriously would love an explanation. 

niels_boar

Barford should have passed ahead to Thompson, who might have had time to find an open player for a decent shot.  Still, teams don't score that often in that situation.  As a Hawks fan, Mike Budenholzer is a master at getting a wide-open look after a timeout during a game.  However, in four years I don't recall the Hawks hardly ever getting a decent look out of a timeout with 5 seconds or less in the game, even with the ball advanced. 
The jawbone of an ass is just as dangerous a weapon today as in Sampson's time.

jm

It was just the normal conservative call.
1)Get it in bounds and do not lose possession at all cost.
2) Get a shot off toward the rim with a second left and hope for a make or tip in, but make sure you do not leave any time on the clock after if rebounded.
3) If you don't make it the game is still tied when play resumes. If you win it with 5 seconds, that is fine but make sure you don't lose the game with 5 seconds left and possession.

Birddawg23

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on January 23, 2018, 08:49:52 pm
Great 12th post. Geez.

Sorry I'm not a keyboard warrior on here like you. Most people like you are the reason I try to avoid posting on here. Your post count doesn't give you a superior opinion. I dont get my kicks in life based on my post count or star rating on a message board.

I'm not a hater. I love Mike and think he has done good things here. We are trending up from when he got here. If we are going to take the next step we have to play better and Mike has to coach better in certain situations.

BannerMountainMan

Quote from: hoglady on January 25, 2018, 02:06:28 pm
I am realistic - this basketball season does not mirror our football season in anyway at all.
We are currently sitting with a 25 RPI and are pretty solidly in the NCAA tournament.
There's no reason for the constant negativity - at this point we could end up with a great, good, mediocre or poor season. There's still tons of basketball yet to play.
Picking apart every win instead of being happy about it doesn't make sense to me.
+1
"Michael Qualls with the dunk at the buzzer, it goes and Arkansas wins, it goes and Arkansas wins"

Hoggish1

Quote from: TNhawgfan on January 23, 2018, 08:52:55 pm

Hammer meet nail or the other way round...

hogfanny

Quote from: Birddawg23 on January 25, 2018, 07:40:25 pm
Sorry I'm not a keyboard warrior on here like you. Most people like you are the reason I try to avoid posting on here. Your post count doesn't give you a superior opinion. I dont get my kicks in life based on my post count or star rating on a message board.

I'm not a hater. I love Mike and think he has done good things here. We are trending up from when he got here. If we are going to take the next step we have to play better and Mike has to coach better in certain situations.
+1 Birdog. Could not have been stated any better.

onebadrubi

This wasn't the only dumb boneheaded I'll prepared out of a timeout play call late in a game by Mike.  We saw one just a week or two ago

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: PonderinHog on January 23, 2018, 10:14:30 pm
Well, according to Abe Lemons, Eddie had God as his point guard.  That always helps.

That says a lot about Abe's relationship with him moreso than Eddie's.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

daBoar

Quote from: ShadowHawg on January 23, 2018, 08:47:38 pm
That's pretty danged critical. Did you notice that the UGA player that was fed the ball as we "fouled" the driving guard just prior to the 5.4 second spot camped for nearly 6 seconds in the paint.  It's not a 5 second rule there, by the way. Concurrently, the guard who was awarded foul shots with only 5.4 minutes left clearly committed an offensive charge (if any foul were to be called); Gafford clearly had solid position.

1highhog

It was a bad play call, but as another poster said, hindsight is 20/20.  I'm no coach, but in that time of the game and with Macon being as unconscious as he was draining contested 3pointers from long range, I would have put the ball in Macons hands and let him go to work.