Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Getting Excited for Next Year

Started by Razorfox, January 09, 2018, 12:17:05 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

steveaustin69

Quote from: Hogindasticks on January 24, 2018, 01:42:37 pm
Your leaving something out.....They were a pro-style quarterback with the ability to move out of the pocket when needed.....this is a borderline dual threat quarterback.  What your seeing with SMU is that their line was good enough he could stay in the pocket longer to get his passes off.

I think he would then have been listed as a dual threat quarterback out of HS if that was the case.  Ben Hicks is a pro-style quarterback.

Hogindasticks

Quote from: steveaustin69 on January 24, 2018, 01:54:45 pm
I think he would then have been listed as a dual threat quarterback out of HS if that was the case.  Ben Hicks is a pro-style quarterback.

I can tell you without hesitation that Coach Morris will NOT have a quarterback on the field that can not run.  It will hamper the offense.  That option is a must in the SEC to win.

steveaustin69

Quote from: Hogindasticks on January 24, 2018, 02:13:09 pm
I can tell you without hesitation that Coach Morris will NOT have a quarterback on the field that can not run.  It will hamper the offense.  That option is a must in the SEC to win.

Does a dual threat quarterback who is actively used in an option scheme usually have a season stat line of 54 carries for 47 yards?

Arkansas' quarterbacks had 90 carries last year. I don't recall us running a ton of read option.  Please explain what I'm missing.

GuvHog

Quote from: steveaustin69 on January 24, 2018, 02:30:37 pm
Does a dual threat quarterback who is actively used in an option scheme usually have a season stat line of 54 carries for 47 yards?

You are correct. Ben Hicks was no where close to being a dual threat QB, he was a pro style passing QB.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: GuvHog on January 24, 2018, 01:07:18 pm
Then you weren't paying attention. The SMU QB the last 2 years was a pro style passing QB just like Kelley is but Kelley has a stronger arm.
Someone help this guy.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

GuvHog

Quote from: Hogindasticks on January 24, 2018, 01:42:37 pm
Your leaving something out.....They were a pro-style quarterback with the ability to move out of the pocket when needed.....this is a borderline dual threat quarterback.  What your seeing with SMU is that their line was good enough he could stay in the pocket longer to get his passes off. 

No, he just got his passes off quicker. That is what Morris's offensive scheme is designed to do.

GuvHog

Quote from: HoginMemphis on January 24, 2018, 03:39:51 pm
Someone help this guy.

Say what you want but Ben Hicks was a pro style passing QB.

nchogg

Quote from: bphi11ips on January 09, 2018, 12:26:05 pm
Same here. Solid roster with experience energized by new staff plus favorable schedule and renovated stadium = fun season and big crowds.

Fun time to be a Razorbacks fan.
I have to agree. As far as win's. I want to see more than last year and win the ones we are suppose to. GO Hogs!

I am not the coach, but if I was, I would have several plays where Cole lines up in the slot or H back position and motions across the formation, thus giving me 2 options to use throwing the ball.  Roll the QB left meeting Cole running right and have a run pass option in either direction.  Our very best plays next year will be surprise left, right, up the middle, short, medium and long.  We will not out talent half the teams we play but we might find a way to out manuver a few.

TNRazorbacker

Pie in the sky. Making a lot of huge assumptions about a team that was very bad this year (and flat out awful in some areas...O-line) miraculously getting better just because a new coach shows up. I just don't see it.

Typically the first year of a coach inheriting a rebuilding effort isn't a good one. That's exactly what this is. Excited about the future and think coach Morris is a great fit for us but folks expecting magic year one are setting themselves up for a let down

Hugo Bezdek

Quote from: TNRazorbacker on January 24, 2018, 09:24:05 pm
Pie in the sky. Making a lot of huge assumptions about a team that was very bad this year (and flat out awful in some areas...O-line) miraculously getting better just because a new coach shows up. I just don't see it.

Typically the first year of a coach inheriting a rebuilding effort isn't a good one. That's exactly what this is. Excited about the future and think coach Morris is a great fit for us but folks expecting magic year one are setting themselves up for a let down

The 1977 and 1998 Razorbacks disagree with you. I would agree that it's a crap shoot, but we have a lot of returning players from a team that was undercoached and that had a lot of injuries in 2017. I think there are plenty of reasons to hope for a big turnaround in 2018 if the players are hungry and buy in to the new system. We'll have to see how that plays out.

oldhawg

Quote from: Hugo Bezdek on January 25, 2018, 08:03:47 am
The 1977 and 1998 Razorbacks disagree with you. I would agree that it's a crap shoot, but we have a lot of returning players from a team that was undercoached and that had a lot of injuries in 2017. I think there are plenty of reasons to hope for a big turnaround in 2018 if the players are hungry and buy in to the new system. We'll have to see how that plays out.

Yes, but the 1977 Razorbacks were left with a fully loaded cupboard by Frank Broyles for Lou Holtz to work with.  Collectively, perhaps the most talented group of young men to ever put on the Razorback football uniform.

Hoggish1

Agree.

The system CBB was building got derailed when Pittman took off and the wheels fell of the machine starting with the 2nd half of Mizzou 16, which continued through all of 17 where things just continued to unravel. 

There was some good recruiting in yeas 2-4 that didn't translate to productive results on the field due to staff disruptions and the HC being undisciplined and/or having certain defects in style and approach.

DeltaBoy

I ready for some football.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.