Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The Hump

Started by Springfield_MO_Razorback, January 02, 2018, 10:16:27 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Springfield_MO_Razorback

What will it take to really get over "The Hump"? Tonight dropped us to a 7-21 record in SEC play in that building. It's not like they smuther us in crowd noise (modern day) Is the court soggy from hockey, balls underflated, the rims too loose? Why do we always fail in Starkville with [censored] crowds? It's absolutely crazy.

davril98

Springfield_MO_Razorback

Quote from: davril98 on January 02, 2018, 10:18:25 pm
42-12 free throws

41.7% from the line tonight, piss poor performance. Be nice if we could seriously shoot close to 70% from the line. Hell, I'll take 60%, that woulda got us the "W".

hogginbama

Quote from: Springfield_MO_Razorback on January 02, 2018, 10:28:49 pm
41.7% from the line tonight, piss poor performance. Be nice if we could seriously shoot close to 70% from the line. Hell, I'll take 60%, that woulda got us the "W".

I think our guys shot so poorly at the line because they were actually *** shocked a foul was called on mississippi stank
My ole buddy Biscuit has crossed that rainbow bridge. Life sure is different without him around.

old_school_hawg

I know I personally only played high school ball, but if our team failed to hit 80% from the charity stripe, we made the difference up with laps. So, 41%? That's 39 laps. Then practice. Just saying, you gotta be afraid to miss. Poor free throw performance just pisses me off. No excuses. Sorry, that's just how I feel.
"I tried being reasonable. I didn't like it."-Clint Eastwood

"Life is hard. It's harder if you're stupid." -John Wayne

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Springfield_MO_Razorback on January 02, 2018, 10:16:27 pm
What will it take to really get over "The Hump"? Tonight dropped us to a 7-21 record in SEC play in that building. It's not like they smuther us in crowd noise (modern day) Is the court soggy from hockey, balls underflated, the rims too loose? Why do we always fail in Starkville with [censored] crowds? It's absolutely crazy.

Since the tad pad is no longer used for basketball at old misses the Hump is officially tied for the worst in the SEC. 
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

The_Iceman

Quote from: davril98 on January 02, 2018, 10:18:25 pm
42-12 free throws

When you are a jump shooting team and don't attack the rim, that's what free throws will look like, especially on the road.

Hoggish1

Quote from: Springfield_MO_Razorback on January 02, 2018, 10:16:27 pm
What will it take to really get over "The Hump"? Tonight dropped us to a 7-21 record in SEC play in that building. It's not like they smuther us in crowd noise (modern day) Is the court soggy from hockey, balls underflated, the rims too loose tight? Why do we always fail in Starkville with [censored] crowds? It's absolutely crazy.

Maybe we go in there and see 1,500 sleepy people sitting in the stands and go to sleep ourselves.  Those people don't deserve to see real basketball and then we oblige.

Springfield_MO_Razorback

Quote from: old_school_hawg on January 03, 2018, 02:12:44 am
I know I personally only played high school ball, but if our team failed to hit 80% from the charity stripe, we made the difference up with laps. So, 41%? That's 39 laps. Then practice. Just saying, you gotta be afraid to miss. Poor free throw performance just pisses me off. No excuses. Sorry, that's just how I feel.

We had similar practices after games. Ours as a team was 10 laps per miss. Then we would go into FT drills after the laps and had to make a certain amount or we were running again. This was all taking place at the end of practice after we were already exhausted. Needless to say we ran a LOT!!! 

LRHawg

Quote from: The_Iceman on January 03, 2018, 06:59:58 am
When you are a jump shooting team and don't attack the rim, that's what free throws will look like, especially on the road.

That might explain a -10 or so discrepancy in fouls. There was plenty of chances for the refs to call fouls out of the paint, yet they weren't called.

Springfield_MO_Razorback

Quote from: The_Iceman on January 03, 2018, 06:59:58 am

Agreed! I do feel like we could have penetrated the paint a little more to try and get those calls. As we play more road games we will see more of this. Overall on the year it hasn't been bad. We are averaging 24 ft's per game and our opponents close to 26 per game. Last night obviously flipped those numbers. We were on the plus side prior. Granted we have played nine home games counting Little Rock. It will be interesting to see the difference once SEC play is completed regardless of how each game is officiated. Hopefully we adjust and drive the ball more. 

hobhog

It was empty. Much like Houston game. Lost opportunity. Again.

Dwight_K_Shrute

$hit happens on the road and certain venues just stink.  People tend to forget all 3 Corliss teams were 0 for Starkville.  We would lose a close game to them at the Hump and blow them out on the return trip to Fayetteville.  We lost to MSU in Fayetteville last year.  That team had a 3 digit RPI, this one has a top 60.  We should have won but it's not a bad loss or the end of the world.  It stinks but it happens.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

Hoggish1

Don't you mean the Dump?

TexArkHogFan

The Hump and that thing at Vanderbilt is the absolute worst place to play BB in the SEC.  The SEC ought to make Vanderbilt redo their court to make it more like the other BB courts in the SEC.
There are all kinds of Lions, Tigers and Bears in college football.  But there is only one Razorback.  Beware the Tusks!!! They are coming