Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Malzahn Non Compete

Started by jimmur74, November 15, 2017, 03:14:55 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmur74

Surely Auburn has language regarding a Non Compete with other SEC schools. I just think the theory he may come is pipe dreams.

Tusks

sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

moses_007

He will be our coach immediately after the season is over if he doesn't have a non-compete clause in his contract.

I support Malzahn returning home!

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Grizzlyfan

Most people familiar with the contract believe that Malzahn would have to be fired in order to take another job in the SEC.

JOKERHOG

Quote from: jimmur74 on November 15, 2017, 03:14:55 pm
Surely Auburn has language regarding a Non Compete with other SEC schools. I just think the theory he may come is pipe dreams.

Auburn is arrogant enough to think no one would leave Auburn for another school.  Funny thing is they barely have a winning record against us since we joined the SEC.  they are not near the program they think they are.
BRINGING BALANCE AND PERSPECTIVE TO HOGVILLE

"You're too damn illiterate to have a college education.  And I'm serious"  - Hawgar the Horrible 1/19/2017

5 most hated: 1Auburn 2Auburn 3Auburn 4A&M 5OU

ADavisTheGOAT

What's his buyout if he were to leave Auburn?
Razorbacks | Redskins | Pelicans | LA Tech

Mellon Collie

Nodoby puts baby in a corner.

Hogwild

Quote from: JOKERHOG on November 15, 2017, 03:19:30 pm
Auburn is arrogant enough to think no one would leave Auburn for another school.  Funny thing is they barely have a winning record against us since we joined the SEC.  they are not near the program they think they are.

They have played Vanderbilt over 40 times, and Auburn doesn't have a winning record against them.   Pretty sure when Tulane was in the SEC they beat Auburn more times than they lost.

Hawg Life

It's not going to be Gus!!!!

ur

Quote from: S.A.D.C on November 15, 2017, 03:28:10 pm
Posts link to actual legal document...
Hogvillians open, can not comprehend...
End of Thread.
+1
He's free to go. Buyout is only the contracts of assistants that don't go with him or stay at auburn. Peanuts compared to other buyouts considering most of the assistants are ark or aub guys. I could see two or three staying with the next coach at aub. All the others come to ark.

solitons

Gus will be a good hire, but I just don't see why he leaves Auburn when he is doing so well there

Grizzlyfan

Hog10S

I thought I saw a $500k per year for each year remaining under the contract for a Buyout should the coach terminate the Agreement.  However, the agreement linked to terms out 12/31/17, and I assume there has been an extension at some point in the past. Otherwise, the Buy Out is nothing really.

Sooie71923

Quote from: solitons on November 15, 2017, 03:37:45 pm
Gus will be a good hire, but I just don't see why he leaves Auburn when he is doing so well there

theres no cushion at Auburn like there is Arkansas. if he has a year he doesnt do well at Auburn, hes out. if he has a year he doesnt do well at Arkansas, nobody bats an eye.

dpetty121263

Gus would not be that successful at Arkansas..Arkansas doesn't have the talent Auburn has access to.

Godfather

Quote from: Hog10S on November 15, 2017, 03:43:45 pm
I thought I saw a $500k per year for each year remaining under the contract for a Buyout should the coach terminate the Agreement.  However, the agreement linked to terms out 12/31/17, and I assume there has been an extension at some point in the past. Otherwise, the Buy Out is nothing really.

Extended to 2020.  Still not a huge buyout.  I scanned it all.  Kinda interesting to read all the money thrown a coaches way for winning. 

Dudes not eating ramen ever again.
WPS to the end.

Pigsknuckles

"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

jimmiewkersh

Actually took the time to read the contract.  While it is legaleze and a fine read, it is obvious that there is NOT a non-compete clause pertaining to any conference, division or school.  There is a Buy-Out clause, but it appears to be obligatory.  There is nothing within the contract to keep him from going anywhere at any time as long as he is willing to pay the school for terminating his portion of the contract.

ur

Quote from: jimmiewkersh on November 15, 2017, 03:58:48 pm
Actually took the time to read the contract.  While it is legaleze and a fine read, it is obvious that there is NOT a non-compete clause pertaining to any conference, division or school.  There is a Buy-Out clause, but it appears to be obligatory.  There is nothing within the contract to keep him from going anywhere at any time as long as he is willing to pay the school for terminating his portion of the contract.
He doesn't owe any for his contract. He only owes for the contracts of assistants that don't go with him or do not stay at auburn.

Perennial 8-4 Team

The contract states that, if he is not fired by Auburn, he must give written notification to the Athletic Director before he has contact with any prospective employers.

So he does not have a non-compete clause. He is free to negotiate without Arkansas if he's not fired; all he has to do is give written notice to Auburn's AD.

ricepig

Quote from: ur on November 15, 2017, 04:04:32 pm
He doesn't owe any for his contract. He only owes for the contracts of assistants that don't go with him or do not stay at auburn.

He has to pay off the loan he got to pay off ASU, haha.

Perennial 8-4 Team

Quote from: Perennial 8-4 Team on November 15, 2017, 04:14:11 pm
The contract states that, if he is not fired by Auburn, he must give written notification to the Athletic Director before he has contact with any prospective employers.

So he does not have a non-compete clause. He is free to negotiate without Arkansas if he's not fired; all he has to do is give written notice to Auburn's AD.

Free to negotiate with Arkansas*

Apologies

PorkSoda

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

PorkSoda

Quote from: dpetty121263 on November 15, 2017, 03:49:33 pm
Gus would not be that successful at Arkansas..Arkansas doesn't have the talent Auburn has access to.

bull crap

"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

jvanhorn

Quote from: PorkSoda on November 15, 2017, 04:17:29 pm
bull crap

If you don't think this is right, then you don't understand college football and recruiting.  I am not saying I like it, I am saying that it is a fact.

Donny2665

This life's hard, but it's harder if you're stupid.~George V.Higgins

Ignorance is a voluntary misfortune!~Nicolas Ling

Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.~Mark Twain

ur

Quote from: ricepig on November 15, 2017, 04:14:29 pm
He has to pay off the loan he got to pay off ASU, haha.
ahhh true. Prob equal to a couple of jeff's jet rides.

dc10x5555

Russ22

Even if he had a non-compete clause, I think it would be difficult for a university to try and test this in court. I know Jeff Long was big on these clauses, but they were never tested - maybe other SEC schools didn't want the coaches the Hogs were gathering on the Hill.
For the latest Arkansas High School 7-on-7 football news:

http://7on7football.blogspot.com/

PorkSoda

Quote from: jvanhorn on November 15, 2017, 04:20:54 pm
If you don't think this is right, then you don't understand college football and recruiting.  I am not saying I like it, I am saying that it is a fact.
I just think its a BS excuse by people who are afraid to compete if success isn't guaranteed.

ricepig

Quote from: ur on November 15, 2017, 04:21:39 pm
ahhh true. Prob equal to a couple of jeff's jet rides.

Dang, what are they charging per/hour for the Lear?

Iwastherein1969

Just get on the GUS BUS
drop off the key Jeffie,
Go on a diet Bret
and eat your food FAT FREE !
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

ricepig

Quote from: Russ22 on November 15, 2017, 04:23:51 pm
Even if he had a non-compete clause, I think it would be difficult for a university to try and test this in court. I know Jeff Long was big on these clauses, but they were never tested - maybe other SEC schools didn't want the coaches the Hogs were gathering on the Hill.

Helped with Enos and Georgia.

HoggyCat

I'm only responsible for what I say, not how you perceive it.

Tusks

Quote from: jimmiewkersh on November 15, 2017, 03:58:48 pm

Did you review the contract for the benefit of the Razorback foundation ?
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

ShadowTheHedgehog

I don't want Gus, but the Auburn games will be more intense if he comes.

PorkSoda

Quote from: ricepig on November 15, 2017, 04:28:02 pm
Helped with Enos and Georgia.
yeah, you see them for assistants.  I dont think I've ever heard of one for a HC.  even the assistant clauses usually have an exception if they take a HC position.

1highhog

There is no theory, just a bunch of BS from posters who don't know any better.  Gus Malzahn has no interest coming here to coach Arkansas, God almighty people!!

HoggyCat

Quote from: Hawg Life on November 15, 2017, 03:30:16 pm
It's not going to be Gus!!!!

And Long wasn't getting fired either....

ur

Quote from: ricepig on November 15, 2017, 04:26:44 pm
Dang, what are they charging per/hour for the Lear?
I hear $5-6k per hour but not sure what they figure into that equation. Prob the note on it also. Jeffy had to have a fancy newer jet instead of the old one. 

Silver Hog

Quote from: dpetty121263 on November 15, 2017, 03:49:33 pm

I seriously do not understand this mentality. ANY school has access to any kid in the country.  Get a good coach, the kids will come.  Gus can recruit, he has proven that. Look what he did at Tulsa , look what he did at A-State, look what he did twice (and now three times) at Auburn. 

If we can't compete with Auburn, what the hell are we even doing in the SEC anymore.  That is such a loser attitude, drives me nuts.

farmhawg

From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

ricepig

Quote from: ur on November 15, 2017, 04:33:35 pm
I hear $5-6k per hour but not sure what they figure into that equation. Prob the note on it also. Jeffy had to have a fancy newer jet instead of the old one. 

The old one wouldn't hold up under Bielema, Chaney, and Pittman on recruiting trips. The newer one can only handle Bielema and Anderson...

Perennial 8-4 Team

Quote from: Russ22 on November 15, 2017, 04:23:51 pm

This would not be difficult to test in court; it's very cut-and-dry in the contract. Also, Jeff and Bret failed to install non-compete clauses in contracts until Sam Pittman left us for Georgia (and Chaney before him, although I don't think anyone was too upset about that). 

HoggyCat

Quote from: solitons on November 15, 2017, 03:37:45 pm

Maybe because he's tired of the "win or be fired" mentality three or four weeks per year.

ur