Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

This is why we are so much better!

Started by BannerMountainMan, November 12, 2017, 07:42:49 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

BannerMountainMan

I know I may get bashed by half the fan base but here it is!

Losing Dusty Hannahs and Moses Kingsley is the best thing that has happened, they simply just weren't made for Mike Andersons style.  Dusty is not long, and cannot alter shots and play good d like CJ Jones can.
Moses Kingsley spent to much time asking for the ball and shooting outside jumpers, Trey Thompson is playing smooth and doesn't demand for the ball and sets up our guards for great shots and easy buckets.

Don't hate me but Mike has his type of guys he needs to go deep in the tourney and if he can perfect switching and tightening up those open threes then watch freaking out BABY!!!
"Michael Qualls with the dunk at the buzzer, it goes and Arkansas wins, it goes and Arkansas wins"

MakingPlays

Quote from: BannerMountainMan on November 12, 2017, 07:42:49 pm

Losing Dusty Hannahs and Moses Kingsley is the best thing that has happened, they simply just weren't made for Mike Andersons style.  Dusty is not long, and cannot alter shots and play good d like CJ Jones can.
Moses Kingsley spent to much time asking for the ball and shooting outside jumpers, Trey Thompson is playing smooth and doesn't demand for the ball and sets up our guards for great shots and easy buckets.

Don't hate me but Mike has his type of guys he needs to go deep in the tourney and if he can perfect switching and tightening up those open threes then watch freaking out BABY!!!

I kinda get what you're saying, you're wrong, but not all the way wrong, if that makes sense.

Dusty was actually a good fit for CMA's system and his defense wasn't as bad as some people made it out.  You need a guy like him that can stretch the floor, draw fouls, and make free throws, which he did.  With that said, it's no doubt that Barford and Macon's ceilings are higher and they are both more 2-way players than Dusty was.

As far as Kingsley, he fits the center position perfect for CMA's system,  Which is a big man that can run the floor, defend the back line, and get you rebounds.  The problem with Kingsley is sometimes he became a blackhole on offense, he had in his mind he hasn't scored in a while and he forced some things.  But other than that he was a very good big for us and him and Dusty were positive contributors. 

Letsroll1200

You're on to something but Dusty can play in any system. Moses issue was when he wasn't scoring it affected his energy and body language on the court.

Thompson and Gafford dont mind Macon and Barford being the primary scores. They are comfortable in their roles. Chemistry issues affected the team last season. Kingsley was trying to live up to preseason SEC player of the year and it hurt the hogs early in the season. Im glad we have big guys that are not infuriated with scoring.

blu

I'd really like to have Moses this year, just for depth. Dusty was a great Hog and he was a key to many of our wins over his career. But, this year, we really have enough talent to absorb his loss. Both helped us get to two of our best seasons in recent history.
"But it is no shame to suffer for being a Christian. Praise God for the privilege of being called by His name!"  I Peter 4:16

Fan701

Yeah, I get your point, but I don't agree completely.  Yes, Moses sometimes tried to do too much with the ball and Dusty's defense was suspect, but they were very good players and we'd be even better if we still had them.  Why are we so much better this year than one year ago at the start of the season?  It's the maturation of Macon and Barford, oh, and Beard, too.  We've got three good guards, two of them truly superb.  Also, remember that by the end of last year we were very good, too, mostly because Macon and Barford blossomed in the second half of the season.

bville_hog

I think the main difference is having two high quality senior guards leading the team.  They weren't quite ready for that at the beginning last year, and it was basically Dusty and Moses's team.  It changed at the end and you see the results this year also.  Also the other factor is that the other players on the team seem to love to play and have high energy but just want to contribute any way they can.  Great qualities for a team.  Now let's carry that on the road.

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: Fan701 on November 12, 2017, 08:08:40 pm
Yeah, I get your point, but I don't agree completely.  Yes, Moses sometimes tried to do too much with the ball and Dusty's defense was suspect, but they were very good players and we'd be even better if we still had them.  Why are we so much better this year than one year ago at the start of the season?  It's the maturation of Macon and Barford, oh, and Beard, too.  We've got three good guards, two of them truly superb.  Also, remember that by the end of last year we were very good, too, mostly because Macon and Barford blossomed in the second half of the season.

You're right as to why we're better for sure Macon, Barford, Beard all taking that next step.  I'm hoping to see Cook and Thomas take that next step too.

As far as addition by subtraction with Manny, Moses, and Hannah's, could be true.  They helped get Razorback basketball to a new level, but it's possible that if they were on this team, they'd really start losing minutes to the returning and incoming players.   

Carl Lazlo

Don't for get about DeyDey.  We had people on this board comparing his game to Manuel Watkins which in terms of atheltism is laughable.

Fan701

We've got two guards that can score twenty on any night.  That's very rare.   Tremendous athleticism at almost every position.  I honestly believe that we are a top ten team.  I think on a given night we might beat anyone.  if we played Kentucky right now, I think we'd run them off the court.  And we don't even have all our players yet.

Kevin McPherson

Quote from: Carl Lazlo on November 12, 2017, 08:17:53 pm
Don't for get about DeyDey.  We had people on this board comparing his game to Manuel Watkins which in terms of atheltism is laughable.

I've been saying for over a year that DayDay was going to be special, and that he was more comparable to Michael Qualls -- both are in the 6-5 / 6-6 range with 7-0 wingspan ... both slash and attack the rim with bad intentions ... both rebound well crashing down from the wing ... DayDay may be a glue-guy (like Manny) as a freshman, but he'll project more like Qualls down the road (All SEC with a chance at getting drafted).

Fan701

Quote from: Kevin McPherson on November 12, 2017, 08:40:37 pm
I've been saying for over a year that DayDay was going to be special, and that he was more comparable to Michael Qualls -- both are in the 6-5 / 6-6 range with 7-0 wingspan ... both slash and attack the rim with bad intentions ... both rebound well crashing down from the wing ... DayDay may be a glue-guy (like Manny) as a freshman, but he'll project more like Qualls down the road (All SEC with a chance at getting drafted).
i hope you're right, but DayDay looks a good bit bigger than Qualls, a few inches taller, maybe twenty pounds heavier.  He's going to be a load to handle someday, maybe someday soon.

DenaoStyle

The length and athleticism is vastly improved.

As great as Hannahs and Watkins played last year...they can't compare, athletically with Hall and Jones.  Kingsley was a plus athlete...but Gafford appears to be taller, longer and, more athletic.  This team is the most athletic Razorback team since Nolan roamed the sidelines.

This team has more potential than a team that could have (should have, perhaps) taken down the eventual national champions last March.  Very excited about this season.

blu

Yeah, I'm up here in Missouri, and this was my first look at this year's team, and we are way better than any team CMA has ever had here. I can see why he was giddy. Gotta lot of ball ahead, which is good, cause it'll be fun to watch, but we have a chance...we have a chance....woo pig!

"But it is no shame to suffer for being a Christian. Praise God for the privilege of being called by His name!"  I Peter 4:16

Brake

Quote from: Fan701 on November 12, 2017, 08:39:31 pm
We've got two guards that can score twenty on any night.  That's very rare.   Tremendous athleticism at almost every position.  I honestly believe that we are a top ten team.  I think on a given night we might beat anyone.  if we played Kentucky right now, I think we'd run them off the court.  And we don't even have all our players yet.

I agree on all of this. Especially the Kentucky comment. I watched some Kentucky highlights and they don't even look top 25. We look like the far better team.

NoogaHog

Слава Богу - Slava Bogu - "Glory to God"

Biggus Piggus

We are so much better because the team is committed to playing defense + the quality of depth is better.
[CENSORED]!

PorkRinds

Not sure we need to pump up this team by digging on guys who were great hogs during their times here.

Fan701

Quote from: PorkRinds on November 13, 2017, 09:38:19 am
Not sure we need to pump up this team by digging on guys who were great hogs during their times here.
Absolutely agree.  Hannahs and Kingsley were great Razorbacks.

BannerMountainMan

Quote from: PorkRinds on November 13, 2017, 09:38:19 am
Saying these guys are better fit for CMA's system is bashing Hannahs and Kingsley?
"Michael Qualls with the dunk at the buzzer, it goes and Arkansas wins, it goes and Arkansas wins"

HF#1

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on November 13, 2017, 09:38:00 am
We are so much better because the team is committed to playing defense + the quality of depth is better.

Seems like our attitude towards rebounding the ball has improved. Love seeing our guards in there fighting for rebounds. Something we haven't seen in a while.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

311Hog

it is still to early to tell, but something does feel different about this team.  Gafford will need to not foul out of every game, and we have to stay hot from 3, but man this team looks strong.

Davidr295

Both were great Hogs, but Kingsley obviously didnt want to come back for his senior season and it showed, Hannahs got ran off the court by North Carolina so he hardly even played in our biggest game of last season. Not trying to dismiss their importants to last years team, but the current guys fit the system better both on offense and defense.

NoogaHog

Quote from: jchill on November 13, 2017, 09:17:39 am
Who is DayDay?

Hall is like 2 Todd Days. So he wears #20. See how that works?

(I just made that up.)
Слава Богу - Slava Bogu - "Glory to God"

Kevin

this team is long & athletic. they have defended & rebounded better to start the season.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

jchill

Quote from: NoogaHog on November 13, 2017, 10:01:52 am
Hall is like 2 Todd Days. So he wears #20. See how that works?

(I just made that up.)

ROFL...maybe he'll average  37.8 points per game for his career.

ipigsooie

I agree. I think hannahs would be a spark off the bench but the real mike andserson teams are fueled by defense. I get what you are saying, and i love the length the drive of this team. I also lovemthat our guards can get to the rim when the 3 isnt falling. Dangerous combination!

hawgball40

OP is close but no cigar. Our failures last season was because of a lack of depth and inability to stop anyone on defense on most possessions

we are better because:

- we are a better passing team
- we are taking and making good shots.
- we make good rotations with few mental errors on defense.
- anton beard lost some weight and gained some strength. he's the heart and soul of this team.
- our seniors are excellent defensively.
- the freshman came in and gelled immediately with the upperclassmen.
- adrio bailey is committed to his role.
- cj jones has stepped up and is hitting his shots. he is better in all phases of the game.
- the freshman are all high level athletes with small pieces of their games that need work.
- we are placing more of an emphasis on getting defensive rebounds than getting back for the fast break.
- we are elite at offensive rebounding

Pinto

I get what you're saying but it's not necessarily addition by subtraction. It's just we're better because our two best players are much better and the supporting cast are better as well.

Kenny Dowell Loggains

Agree with some of the points the OP made.

Athleticism & Depth + 3 Senior guards that actually know what they are doing in a guard driven league & can play on both sides of the court.

CJ Jones & Adrio Bailey will be the difference makers.  Both guys are can stretch the floor & that is huge for Macon & Barford

We don't go on these 4-5 minute scoring droughts... in the last few seasons under Anderson, we've had 3-4 legit scorers, but the bench was so weak that as soon as you took out a top playmaker, the replacements didn't do much but fill time.  I like the rotation so far of keeping either Macon, Beard, or Barford in with some of the younger guys.  The bench guys can play!

Ability to answer after a 3 is huge.  Bucknell had 11 3-pointers and was still down by 24 at the end of the game.  How often do you see that?

Gafford is for real.  Love his ability to score from 7 to 8 ft. out.

Trey Thompson isn't afraid to use his size.  He's got great hands and can play the forward position like a guard.

We have yet to see what Thomas, Garland & Cook will bring to the depth of the team.

We can rebound and shoot free throws!

Time will tell & I expect to see some bumps along the road in conference play, but so far, I see a legit tourney team.

PorkRinds

Quote from: BannerMountainMan on November 13, 2017, 09:46:19 am
Saying these guys are better fit for CMA's system is bashing Hannahs and Kingsley?

Losing the two of them is the best thing that ever happened? That's pretty much bashing.

Paul

When we play big front lines who walk the ball upcourt, I'll wish we still had Moses

razorback1829

Quote from: Paul on November 13, 2017, 04:49:16 pm
When we play big front lines who walk the ball upcourt, I'll wish we still had Moses

Enter Gafford. He will rise to the occasion. No doubt.

Paul

Quote from: razorback1829 on November 13, 2017, 05:05:23 pm
Enter Gafford. He will rise to the occasion. No doubt.
He's long & athletic but needs some weight in his backside to back down & not be backed down.

razorback1829

Quote from: Paul on November 13, 2017, 05:24:18 pm
  He's long & athletic but needs some weight in his backside to back down & not be backed down.

I haven't seen him get backed down yet. Are we watching the same games?

hawgball40

Quote from: razorback1829 on November 13, 2017, 05:26:58 pm
I haven't seen him get backed down yet. Are we watching the same games?
i think foulland made a few post moves on him last night. From what i saw though, Gafford pretty much held his own against a pretty skilled post player. But, foulland made atleast one dropstep that made gafford unable to contest, resulting in an easy hook for foulland from about 5 or 6 feet. At any rate, Gafford will get a few chances to showcase his talent vs some pretty good players this season. Would love to see him get some recognition from scouts, even if it means he's one(or two) and done.

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: Paul on November 13, 2017, 05:24:18 pm

I'm pretty sure Gaffords bigger than Moses and less apt to be backed down

BannerMountainMan

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on November 13, 2017, 06:32:34 pm
I'm pretty sure Gaffords bigger than Moses and less apt to be backed down
there is no way Gafford is bigger than Moses.

Iwastherein1969

I agree. We are better offensively without both of them. Dusty shot a bit too much and Moses doesn't pass nearly as well in the half court sets on offense as Thompson. Thompson can hit a 15 footer from the elbow or just as easily make a great pass to a cutter to the basket...if they keep moving and do not start this standing around, we are going to be virtually unstoppable on offense
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

JIHawg

Bottom line, we're just much more athletic than last year.  The result of this-better defense, very good rebounding, more fast breaks, more dunks, more wearing the other team out and outscoring them at the end of halves.

razorback1829

Quote from: BannerMountainMan on November 13, 2017, 06:33:40 pm
there is no way Gafford is bigger than Moses.

Haha hard to believe but MUCH bigger than Moses. Dan is a huge dude. Plays wide too. Now we need him to start playing more vertical. It will happen soon. But yes, he's definitely bigger than Moses.

rzrbackramsfan