Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

You think CBB can do it?

Started by Hoggie17, September 17, 2017, 08:42:05 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Hoggie17

For CBB  achieve the same number of  wins as Nutt had in his ten years he will have to win 49 games.  CBB is 2 games into his 5th season. So if Nutt had ten years to win 75 games it's only fair that we give CBB 10 years. Counting this year CBB has to have 5 seasons of 8 wins and 1 season with 9 wins. If CBB wanted to beat HDN's record he would have  four 8 win seasons and two 9 win seasons. It can be done even Nutt had three 9 win seasons and one 10 win season.

On a thread last week someone made the case that Nutt's production while here should be the low water mark of what an Arkansas coach can do.  Let's look at what HDN actually did:

3....9 win seasons
1....10 win season
7 bowl appearances
75 total wins   

I will not comment, the numbers speak for me.

PonderinHog

The numbers may speak for you, but the level of competition sure doesn't.

LZH

jst01

Quote from: PonderinHog on September 17, 2017, 11:09:11 am

This. Bama, Miss and Miss St have been completely diff since 2006. Not sure Nutt even played A&M

arlhog

No, he probably won't get it done.  It's not as simple as that though.   When nutt was here, the east was better than the west and bama wasn't bama until saban got there.  I like cbb more than I could ever like nutt but his record probably won't be as good.   In the end it's not about liking someone, it's about w's and l's.

PonderinHog

It always helps to get off on the right foot.  Bielema's record that first year was always gonna be hard to overcome.

The stepladder to success is always easier to climb if somebody else has already built the ladder.

hobhog

A$M game will be huge for him. That's a game Hogs HAVE to win and if they do I think they can turn things around. If not....

Ragnar Hogbrok

This should have been the year it was between us and Alabama for conference dominance.  The rest of the conference is way down.  All we had to do was build a solid team over the last five years and it would have been a great season or two with high post season prospects. 
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." ― H.L. Mencken

Hogville prediction formula:

1.  Insert bad news prediction. A loss, a recruit going elsewhere, a coach leaving, etc.
2.  Tag "hope I'm wrong," on the end.
3a.  Enjoy a correct prediction.
3b.  Act like you're relieved you're wrong and celebrate with everyone else.

007 License To Squeal

Quote from: hobhog on September 17, 2017, 11:23:37 am
A$M game will be huge for him. That's a game Hogs HAVE to win and if they do I think they can turn things around. If not....

It's sad when beating a terrible Aggie team is a huge accomplishment.....the inept coaching skills and blow-out second halves speak for themselves.  Until someone teaches (1) the O line how to protect Allen and (2) the WRs to get open, we're in store for an impotent Offense........but there's alway hope that the players get lucky and are able to sustain that luck...
******Proud Member of Hogville.net since May 22, 2003, 08:17:38 PM*******

tusksincolorado

Screw it! I'm an old angry male, live with it!

davehog

rhames

Quote from: The Chief on September 17, 2017, 11:40:03 am
This should have been the year it was between us and Alabama for conference dominance.  The rest of the conference is way down.  All we had to do was build a solid team over the last five years and it would have been a great season or two with high post season prospects. 

To be fair there is still a chance for that hahahahahahaha
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

elviscat

We will have a hard time winning six games.

Bubba's Bruisers

No, but I'm perplexed why it would be fair to give BB 10 years because Nutt got 10.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

farmhawg

Quote from: The Chief on September 17, 2017, 11:40:03 am
Whifffffff
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

Jek Tono Porkins

Given Arkansas's inherent recruiting disadvantages, there has to be something that can be done to overcome it.
With Nutt, it was his crazy ability to motivate the hell out of his players and make them do something they should have never been able to do, like beat #3 Tennessee, or beat a top ten Texas team on the road, or beat a couple of teams in seven overtimes, or beat #1 LSU on the road. Of course he would supplement those wins with a loss against a 2-10 Mississippi State or Ole Miss team the next week, but those crazy games would put him a couple of games ahead.
With Petrino, his offensive genius overcame the recruiting disadvantages time and again.
With Bielema, he showed promise in 2014 and again in 2015 with a few games, but since then it's been a story of epic second half meltdowns and missed field goals. His edge was supposed to be a good redshirt program, high retention rates, and the best offensive line unit in the country. One look at our two-deep and the offensive line unit will tell you that is not the case.
I have known the troubles I was born to know
I have wanted things a poor man's born to want
And in all my dreams and memories I go running
Through the fields of Arkansas from which I sprung

Tarheelhawg

Sadly, no.  Losing three of the last four games has drained my confidence.  I have no confidence that Bielema will out coach anyone which is what it takes: a coach who can do more with less.  However, I will support this team regardless. 

LRrazorback

Also, HDN had seasons of only 11 regular season games as opposed to 12 now.

3kgthog

I'm not sure the current SEC is THAT much tougher than what Nutt coached against. The hate for Nutt is clouding your perception of some of the truly awful football being played in this conference right now.

Mr. Porkleone

Nutt love.  Had to be the thinnest skinned coach in history of ark football

It seems to me that it started last season, the SEC being less than stellar and this season it is downright obvious.  We have between 10 and 13 teams that should from around #20 to #45.  MSU might be top 20 at around #15.

It is very difficult for me to believe that UCLA deserved to be rated at all, that Stanford was way overrated, also Michigan, Aubbie, Fla, and those are just a few that come to mind.  Maybe its just the start of the season thing.

We are likely a #40 to 45 team headed down from there unless we can level off and climb a little.

Truth is, this early n the season, BAMA, Clemson and who else actually has a real good football team.  I cannot think of another.

ColinRagan

Only took CBB 3 years to tie HDNs # of bowl wins

davglo35

I think Oklahoma And Ok state are good teams. Miss St looks good too but it's a long season and I don't think BB can get it done. No adjustments at halftime or during the game. Gets inside the 10 and just tries to bulldoze it in. We can't do that anymore. Team doesn't seem motivated at all and something just isn't right chemistry wise.

DLUXHOG

Quote from: Hoggie17 on September 17, 2017, 08:42:05 am
For CBB  achieve the same number of  wins as Nutt had in his ten years he will have to win 49 games.  CBB is 2 games into his 5th season. So if Nutt had ten years to win 75 games it's only fair that we give CBB 10 years. Counting this year CBB has to have 5 seasons of 8 wins and 1 season with 9 wins. If CBB wanted to beat HDN's record he would have  four 8 win seasons and two 9 win seasons. It can be done even Nutt had three 9 win seasons and one 10 win season.

On a thread last week someone made the case that Nutt's production while here should be the low water mark of what an Arkansas coach can do.  Let's look at what HDN actually did:

3....9 win seasons
1....10 win season
7 bowl appearances
75 total wins   

good information and not to be anal retentive, but he was in 8 bowls.... with... a... record... of 2 - 6 in those bowls...   also... whoever said the SEC isn't any better now than back then is really sort of nutty....
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

jgphillips3

What will be looked back on as the "glory years of the SEC" will be the period from about 2004-2014. From Auburn getting snubbed despite being undefeated to the first non-SEC national champion roughly.  That decade of dominance.  The conference as a whole has been in decline since then.

Hoggie17

Quote from: DLUXHOG on September 18, 2017, 05:29:59 am
good information and not to be anal retentive, but he was in 8 bowls.... with... a... record... of 2 - 6 in those bowls...   also... whoever said the SEC isn't any better now than back then is really sort of nutty....
MY bad, that makes the Nutt years look even better with 8 bowl appearances. The year before he left he had his 10 win season. I am sure he thought that would take the heat off but hog fans got worse.  His last year he was down a little, in retrospect he was going to quit and didn't try as hard. I am pretty sure had he stayed 6 wins would be a low year.

The SEC looks to be wide open this year with only Alabama at the top of their game. Nutt might have motivated his team to upset them. He could motivate, and he was a good game coach, remember those overtime wins?

DLUXHOG

Quote from: Hoggie17 on September 18, 2017, 09:36:19 am
MY bad, that makes the Nutt years look even better with 8 bowl appearances. The year before he left he had his 10 win season. I am sure he thought that would take the heat off but hog fans got worse.  His last year he was down a little, in retrospect he was going to quit and didn't try as hard. I am pretty sure had he stayed 6 wins would be a low year.

The SEC looks to be wide open this year with only Alabama at the top of their game. Nutt might have motivated his team to upset them. He could motivate, and he was a good game coach, remember those overtime wins?

uh.... he was 33% in those bowl games.......... yes, he got to a dance but then discovered he couldn't "dance".......
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

jkstock04

Quote from: Hoggie17 on September 17, 2017, 08:42:05 am

3....9 win seasons
1....10 win season
7 bowl appearances
75 total wins   

Sad to say...but whoever really layed out Nutts numbers last week was very sobering. (May have been you) That was the first time I've looked semi longingly on Houston frikin Nutt in 10-15 years.

Maybe this is the stretch Chuck Barrett was referring to about setting the program back 10 years. To answer your question...gonna be real tough for Bielema to match that.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

BoynamedWooPigSooie

Bret Bielema has been a historically bad coach here at Arkansas.

His sideline demeanor is all wrong, his abilities to coach/build a program are inferior and a thinly veiled lie.

Digging deeper would have revealed some real red flags and character issues, but Jeff Long loves his Big 10.
Hogville's resident uniform designer.

hogsanity

No, but not sur anyone would do that if the secw stays like it is. While a little down, it is still really tough top to bottom, then you get a sece team every year that who knows how they will be. Throw in a decent ooc team now ( note I did not say great but not a cupcake either ) in co St ND and others coming up along with the inherent recruiting disadvantages and it is unlikely any coach is going to atch those #'s.

Plus HDN got to coach possibly the 2 most athletic freaks ever to play football for the Hogs in MJ and Dmac.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

jawhog

The OP ask a simple question, my answer is "NO". BBC in over his head.

Muskliketusk

Gonna win 9 this year so these kinda questions are gonna be mute.
Our father who art in Heaven, Razorbacks be thy name. For the games we've won and battles done, on the road as it is at home. Give us this day our weekly win and forgive us our turnovers as we defeat those that play against us. Lead us not into devastation, but deliver us a title. For thine is the program, the pride and the Hogs, Amen.

-prayer I say every gameday.

Hollywood_HOGan45

Quote from: PonderinHog on September 17, 2017, 11:09:11 am

This!

Hawgphat

I'm not raising a ruckus demanding that pink slips be issued.  Frankly, I don't possess nearly enough "x's & o's" savvy to formulate an "expert" opinion in that regard.  Echoing the expressed sentiments of others, however, - - - five years into the "rebirth" of a new program seemingly should reflect some concrete results showing a steady increase in the competitive quality level.  From the perspective of an admitted casual observer, I don't see any signs of such an increase.

Sadly, - - no; - - - I honestly don't think that Bielema can "do it".

rlamb

No, this fat boy, sandal wearing to press conference, un-motivated dumb bum won't/can't.
I never thought I would say this, but Nutt is a better coach than Bart. Dale Nutt also beat
Saban twice!

buldozer

The OP's question is irrelevant, cause bert isn't going to be here 10 years.... thank goodness!

Hoggish1

Don't dare try to compare the SEC in Nutts' era to the one we play in today.

ICEman

Quote from: Hoggish1 on September 19, 2017, 05:13:42 am
The one today, 2017, may be the worst in 25 years. The SEC may rank 3rd or 4th in the P5.
"College football is a sport that bears the same relation to education that bullfighting does to agriculture."

plumbhog

And the first year we won the west we also lost to SMU. SMU finished that same year with only 1 win!
bigdaddyhawg,<br />"Tyler wants to find the short receiver almost every single time.  He rarely even looks down the field. Folks, this IS a problem and it is going to continue to severely limit our pass game."<br /><br />Six days later, Tyler throws for a school record 510 yards against A&M

hogcard1964

It's worse now.

Hoggie17

I have taken a hard look at all the SEC teams including the West and they are  down. Ole Miss and LSU are regrouping and the Aggies are getting ready for a HCing Change. We are not as good as we were in 2014 and may get worse.  MO is not that good.  Only Alabama looks like an SEC team of the days of Nutt, Auburn has a fair team. The East is Weak, TN is about to pull the plug of Butch.  The SEC is not as good this year as when Nutt was here.

This would be a good year for CBB come in 2nd losing only to Ala. But my guess is he will lose to Auburn as well and maybe a lot more.  CBB teams are Unpredictable.

JaketheSnake

So many opinions being portrayed as facts in this thread.

Letsroll1200

Anything to discredit Houston Nutt. Nutt teams had some big time wins. Auburn was a top 5 program. Nutt went on the road with a freshman QB, a hungry offensive line, with Mcfadden and Jones and won.
It's so many other big games that they won during the Nutt years.

Porkchop#1

Quote from: Hoggie17 on September 19, 2017, 06:25:23 am
I have taken a hard look at all the SEC teams including the West and they are  down. Ole Miss and LSU are regrouping and the Aggies are getting ready for a HCing Change. We are not as good as we were in 2014 and may get worse.  MO is not that good.  Only Alabama looks like an SEC team of the days of Nutt, Auburn has a fair team. The East is Weak, TN is about to pull the plug of Butch.  The SEC is not as good this year as when Nutt was here.

This would be a good year for CBB come in 2nd losing only to Ala. But my guess is he will lose to Auburn as well and maybe a lot more. CBB teams are Unpredictable.
They seem very predictable to me.  Start the games fast, finish with a whimper.

Hoggie17

Nutt was only behind Broyles in Total wins as a Hog coach!

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: jst01 on September 17, 2017, 11:12:15 am
This. Bama, Miss and Miss St have been completely diff since 2006. Not sure Nutt even played A&M
Nutt's last season as Ark head coach was 2007. Texas A&M came into the SEC for the 2012 season. In the 5 seasons A&M has been in the SEC, Arkansas is 0-5 against them. In those 5 seasons, A&M has a 21-19 SEC record and Arkansas has a 12-28 SEC record.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: LRrazorback on September 17, 2017, 09:10:04 pm
Also, HDN had seasons of only 11 regular season games as opposed to 12 now.
He played 8 SEC games every year of his 10 years just like we do now. 90% of the non-conf games played then and now were immaterial.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

hogcard1964

Quote from: Hoggie17 on September 19, 2017, 06:25:23 am

This would be a good year for CBB come in 2nd losing only to Ala. But my guess is he will lose to Auburn as well and maybe a lot more.  CBB teams are Unpredictable.

SEC has been down for a few years.

HognotinMemphis

If CBB cannot fix the 2nd half offensive problems, namely the zero scoring (not counting FCS opponent Fla A&M) in 2nd halves of last 3 games, he will likely finish this year at 2-6 or 1-7 in SEC. That will be after first 4 seasons' SEC record of 10-22. If this season plays out that way, I imagine there will be a head coaching change after this year.