Previous topic - Next topic

Wolfpride

"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things.  And no good thing ever dies"
Andy Dufresne

texas tush hog

texas tush hog

Quote from: Ward on September 14, 2017, 12:41:02 pm
I sense a feel good story coming from this whole situation

No, I'm madder than hell the way Bielema has handled this situation, but we have two outstanding kickers waiting their turn, and as much as a I like Cole, he had more than enough chances. He, however, should have been benched with no comment, to publicly ridicule him with no more chances aka Kendall Trainor, is counterproductive IMHO.

RazorPiggie

Quote from: texas tush hog on September 14, 2017, 12:50:38 pm
No, I'm madder than hell the way Bielema has handled this situation, but we have two outstanding kickers waiting their turn, and as much as a I like Cole, he had more than enough chances. He, however, should have been benched with no comment, to publicly ridicule him with no more chances aka Kendall Trainor, is counterproductive IMHO.

Cole is done. Its in his head now.

I have no issues with the way it was handled.

texas tush hog

Quote from: RazorPiggie on September 14, 2017, 01:35:04 pm

I agree he is done just not the way it was handled.

LRHawg

Quote from: texas tush hog on September 14, 2017, 12:50:38 pm

The way CBB handled it was ... common.

PossumFan

If Bielema had just said something vague along the lines of "we will address the kicking game problems," folks would have been howling about coachspeak and failure to hold anyone accountable. I do wish he had not called the second miss "juvenile," because, while I'm sure he just meant it was junior-high-level execution, it was too easy to misinterpret as a personal shot at Cole.

010HogFan

Cole had his chance to make kicks for us. He shouldn't attempt another meaningful FG. I'm sorry, but we can't afford it any longer.

bvillepig

I am one who doesn't agree with benching Hedlund forever.  if he is better than everyone else he needs to play and they need to find some method to carry practice to the games.
He is only one of four who didn't miss an XP last year in the SEC.

He has ability and I don't think his head case is forever. Bench him for awhile fine but work with him till he gets it right. There wasn't any pressure on him on the first kick other than Bilema asking him if he wanted to move back which had to put doubt in his mind. 

The second one there was no pressure. It was still a 14-7game.   He pulled it why. Ever had the shanks in golf and were a scratch player. You work through it but it does get in your head.  I noticed he hooked a couple of extra points in the first game but then he lit it up right in the middle.

Now if the other guy is better so be it but if Hedlund out kicks them the next weeks you got to go back to him eventually.

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: Wolfpride on September 14, 2017, 12:27:32 pm
https://www.yahoo.com/sports/women-football-female-kickers-making-strides-ncaa-level-far-can-go-150715979.html

Just a thought! ;D

Just curious...if one of the scholarship players from the girls' soccer team were to walk on the football team, would her schollie count on the football side as well?
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

tasteslikechicken

Does anyone that knows anything about kicking, coach the kickers? Need to give Zach Hocker a call and get him to start teaching em.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

When I played center I soooo wanted a female QB...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

Rzbakfromwaybak

Quote from: PossumFan on September 14, 2017, 03:31:41 pm
If Bielema had just said something vague along the lines of "we will address the kicking game problems," folks would have been howling about coachspeak and failure to hold anyone accountable. I do wish he had not called the second miss "juvenile because, while I'm sure he just meant it was junior-high-level execution, it was too easy to misinterpret as a personal shot at Cole.

Well, I certainly agree we need to try another kicker.  It was also plain to see that "juvenile", was a personal shot at Cole... that was not misinterpreted.  Who in fact kicked that missed field goal ? Was coach BB referring to the football, or the kicker, as juvenile?  Had to be one of them. It was a no class comment, by a coach....that is evidently feeling some pressure.
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

I doubt there is anything wrong with Cole except feeling self inflicted pressure to exceed the necessary motions of making a play.  We had many others fail on one or more plays through out the game but it wasn't as easy to see as Coles mistakes.  I feel really bad for him.

jrulz83

Tejada have any eligibility left?
Lenin is cautiously optimistic.

VirginiaHog

This. He had 1 job.

PossumFan

Quote from: Rzbakfromwaybak on September 14, 2017, 06:25:22 pm
Well, I certainly agree we need to try another kicker.  It was also plain to see that "juvenile", was a personal shot at Cole... that was not misinterpreted.  Who in fact kicked that missed field goal ? Was coach BB referring to the football, or the kicker, as juvenile?  Had to be one of them. It was a no class comment, by a coach....that is evidently feeling some pressure.

Well, he said "it" was juvenile. So unless Cole is an "it," I think he meant the result and not the kid. But I know I won't change anyone's mind on this issue, so this is the last I'll say about it.

Noonan

I think it was something that should have been handled internally, and not multiple times in the media.  And that's not because he should have spared Cole the embarrassment.  The missed field goals certainly did hurt our chances to win.  The problem is that CBB called out a player specifically for contributing to the loss of the game, in the media, to make the rest of the team, including himself, look not as much to blame.  Now every player is going to be thinking "man, I've got to not screw up, or I'm gonna get called out in front of the fans, my parents, pro scouts, and everybody else too."  No one can play their best when they are constantly scared of failing and being embarrassed.  It creates a terrible atmosphere for the whole team.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: Rzbakfromwaybak on September 14, 2017, 06:25:22 pm

Quit molly coddling kids you people.!!! They're turning into commies and tool boxes.!
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

Boardon Hamsay

Halftime contest could be interesting and TTech-esque.
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.
Quote from: Boardon Hamsay on April 28, 2024, 05:45:23 pmI'm a market maker of instigation