Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Very Interesting Comment by Rick Schaeffer

Started by WilsonHog, September 13, 2017, 04:59:24 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

WilsonHog

"This is the year, and I think he knows this, that Bret Bielema either proves that he is or isn't the man for this job."

ShadowHawg

Hog-Corleone

Quote from: WilsonHog on September 13, 2017, 04:59:24 pm
"This is the year, and I think he knows this, that Bret Bielema either proves that he is or isn't the man for this job."

Who said that, and what did they do with the real Rick Schaeffer?
This is my word, and as such is beyond contestation.

sickboy

I've kind of always thought the same thing. I know people always bring up the contract. But guys... contracts are meant meant to be broken.

codeHog

phadedhawg

Quote from: Hog-Corleone on September 13, 2017, 05:01:26 pm
Who said that, and what did they do with the real Rick Schaeffer?

srsly....we should send the cops to do a health and wellness check...

Bubba's Bruisers

Sounds like Rick has received some updated talking points from Long. 
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

Dwight_K_Shrute

This is tea leaves stuff just like Wallace Hall's columns.  If the least little negativity is slipping through from the pumpers the winds of change or at least urgency are blowing.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

swineology

Link ???

hard to believe Rainbow Rick said that

#MindBlowing

:D

longpig

Here's to hoping he can regain dignity lost and promptly GTFO instead of orchestrating another embarrassing performance.  I'm proud of how patient Razorback fans have generally been with him but the ship has sailed.
Don't be scared, be smart.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: longpig on September 13, 2017, 05:14:02 pm
Here's to hoping he can regain dignity lost and promptly GTFO instead of orchestrating another embarrassing performance.  I'm proud of how patient Razorback fans have generally been with him but the ship has sailed.

Good Lord yes.  We are freaking Job considering what fans in some bastions of the SEC would be doing after a 0-14 start to SEC play, peaking at 8 wins disastrous finishes last year and uninspired play this year.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

WilsonHog

Just for verification that it was indeed Rick, before making the comment in the OP he said, "He's 26-27 in the SEC, so it's not like he's lost them all."

Con el Cerdos

Well, he doesn't say he's leaving, just that he will realize he can or can't cut it in the SEC.  I'm inclined to agree.

I surely don't have Rick's contacts but five years is a long time to get your arse handed to you and often in embarrassing fashion.  BB is as proud and confident as any coach I've ever heard speak, often without justified reasoning.

Would not be surprised to hear in December, that he and JL have negotiated a much reduced buyout so BB can see to his growing family and his new job at ESPN.  Just an opinion.

codeHog

..........."BB is as proud and confident as any coach I've ever heard speak, often without justified reasoning."

cj_sez

Bielema said a 58 FG% by Hedlund wasn't good enough. I think a mere 45% win record in the SEC isn't good enough. I think no second half scores in the last 3 games against FBS opponents isn't good enough.

rtr

Wilson may know more about this but I don't think Rick is the insider he once was.
The more smites the more intelligent I get.

PorkRinds

Quote from: cj_sez on September 13, 2017, 05:32:19 pm
Bielema said a 58 FG% by Hedlund wasn't good enough. I think a mere 45% win record in the SEC isn't good enough. I think no second half scores in the last 3 games against FBS opponents isn't good enough.

I would agree his record isn't good enough. But there's no comparison to a field goal kicker's percentage.

Tusks

Did he get one of is balls back from the box on JFB desk.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

codeHog

I really want Bielema to win and stay.....even if I have quit on him.

His last 12 games (I guess that is a normal season) has gone 5-7

Looking at that is what makes me mad when people say GOSH IT IS JUST ONE GAME

ricepig

I still think he gets his two years to get 16 wins, probably not if it requires us to 11, 12, or 13 next year.

ricepig

Quote from: rtr on September 13, 2017, 05:37:19 pm
Wilson may know more about this but I don't think Rick is the insider he once was.

This, but he hears things for sure.

ErnestHamingway

Rick even said he doesn't have the connection with Long that he had with Broyles. Said he knew what JFB was thinking, but doesn't have a feel for what Long might do.

Quote from: ricepig on September 13, 2017, 06:04:42 pm
This, but he hears things for sure.

jgphillips3

Talk has been around since before the season that Bielema was given two years to win 16 regular season games (or similar).  Now, I don't think anyone at the top thought that was a huge task.  Now however, after lackluster performances against an FCS school and being humiliated by TCU running it right down our throats and stuffing our Oline, a chip shot record looks like long odds. 

presidenthog

Quote from: codeHog on September 13, 2017, 05:56:35 pm
I really want Bielema to win and stay.....even if I have quit on him.

His last 12 games (I guess that is a normal season) has gone 5-7

Looking at that is what makes me mad when people say GOSH IT IS JUST ONE GAME

It's not 1 game. Its  toledo, it's Texas tech, it's mizzou and VT.

It's squandering a 2015 season that should habe won 10-11 games. Its our team looking completely unprepared. It wasn't just 1 game. It is 5 years of frustration and TCU was just the straw that broke the camel's back. It wasn't that we lost. It was how we lost. We looked inept, and lost. We didn't look like a team that had been under the same coach for 5 years, and 3 under the same coordinator.

Not to mention under achieving every year he has been here. We have been better than we have shown his entire career here.

GoHogs1091

A year too late to be finding out. 

In most real high-level Div. 1 football programs this determination is made in year 4.  In those real football programs a Head Coach gets 4 years to prove he is or isn't the man for the job.

To those football programs, 5 and 6 year plans are too problematic.  It essentially wastes time.  In high-level Div. 1 football, wasting time equates to getting left behind.

The best way to solve a problem is to quickly identify the problem, to quickly remove the problem, and to quickly implement a solution.  Not the way the UofA Athletic Administration operates, therefore, the 5 and 6 year plan that will waste time and lead to being left behind.   

twistitup

How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

Großer Kriegschwein

Twistit, you been peddling God's cabbage to Rick?
This is my non-signature signature.

longpig

Quote from: presidenthog on September 13, 2017, 06:54:22 pm
It's not 1 game. Its  toledo, it's Texas tech, it's mizzou and VT.

It's squandering a 2015 season that should habe won 10-11 games. Its our team looking completely unprepared. It wasn't just 1 game. It is 5 years of frustration and TCU was just the straw that broke the camel's back. It wasn't that we lost. It was how we lost. We looked inept, and lost. We didn't look like a team that had been under the same coach for 5 years, and 3 under the same coordinator.

Not to mention under achieving every year he has been here. We have been better than we have shown his entire career here.

Mizzou 16 was the straw that broke the camel's back,  VT was an additional bale of straw for good measure and TCU was a bullet to the camel's head.
Don't be scared, be smart.

ICEman

Quote from: WilsonHog on September 13, 2017, 05:22:47 pm
Just for verification that it was indeed Rick, before making the comment in the OP he said, "He's 26-27 in the SEC, so it's not like he's lost them all."
Of course this is not correct. Hell, 26 - 27 would be almost acceptable for games against SEC teams.
"College football is a sport that bears the same relation to education that bullfighting does to agriculture."

PorkSoda

Quote from: sickboy on September 13, 2017, 05:01:53 pm
I've kind of always thought the same thing. I know people always bring up the contract. But guys... contracts are meant meant to be broken.
even if we dont fire him after this year, if he doesn't manage to do something then its just a matter of time.  Long will give him one more year, at that point the buy out will be reasonable, and it gives Long a year to find a replacement.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

PorkSoda

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on September 13, 2017, 08:43:20 pm
A year too late to be finding out. 

In most real high-level Div. 1 football programs this determination is made in year 4.  In those real football programs a Head Coach gets 4 years to prove he is or isn't the man for the job.

To those football programs, 5 and 6 year plans are too problematic.  It essentially wastes time.  In high-level Div. 1 football, wasting time equates to getting left behind.

The best way to solve a problem is to quickly identify the problem, to quickly remove the problem, and to quickly implement a solution.  Not the way the UofA Athletic Administration operates, therefore, the 5 and 6 year plan that will waste time and lead to being left behind.   
I'd be interested in seeing your data that suggests that most programs only give a coach 4 years.

I did find this article.

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-football/average-sec-head-coaching-tenure/

it seems most of the  winningest programs average more than 4 years while the less winning programs average less than 4 years
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: PorkSoda on September 13, 2017, 09:02:16 pm
even if we dont fire him after this year, if he doesn't manage to do something then its just a matter of time.  Long will give him one more year, at that point the buy out will be reasonable, and it gives Long a year to find a replacement.

God I hope it doesn't take him another year to find a replacement.

Seebs

If rick is waffling, and I need to take your word for it as DTS is herpes to my cochlea, then the end is nigh.
To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

hogcard1964

Quote from: cj_sez on September 13, 2017, 05:32:19 pm

One of the more shocking stats.  I heard it first today.  ...No scores in the 2nd half of our last three FBS games.   Unbelievable.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: hogcard1964 on September 13, 2017, 09:08:21 pm
One of the more shocking stats.  I heard it first today.  ...No scores in the 2nd half of our last three FBS games.   Unbelievable.

And by score you mean outscored 70-0

ImHogginIt

Quote from: WilsonHog on September 13, 2017, 05:22:47 pm

He's 10-22 in the SEC. Poor Sunshine always trying to polish a turd

PorkSoda

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on September 13, 2017, 09:05:39 pm
God I hope it doesn't take him another year to find a replacement.
I'm not sure the precise time as relates to the contract, but my prediction is that when the buy out drops under 5 million, his days are over, unless he magically turns the team around and we win 8+ games.

FaytownHog

Quote from: PorkSoda on September 13, 2017, 09:04:23 pm
I'd be interested in seeing your data that suggests that most programs only give a coach 4 years.

I did find this article.

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-football/average-sec-head-coaching-tenure/

it seems most of the  winningest programs average more than 4 years while the less winning programs average less than 4 years
Because when the coach wins, he gets to stick around for longer.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: PorkSoda on September 13, 2017, 09:11:04 pm
I'm not sure the precise time as relates to the contract, but my prediction is that when the buy out drops under 5 million, his days are over, unless he magically turns the team around and we win 8+ games.

I don't think it drops under $5 million for the life of the contract.

PorkSoda

Quote from: ImHogginIt on September 13, 2017, 09:10:28 pm
He's 10-22 in the SEC. Poor Sunshine always trying to polish a turd
yeah, it would be a miraculous couple seasons to get to 26-27  at this point.

PorkSoda

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on September 13, 2017, 09:12:23 pm
I think it drops to 4.5 in the last couple years. iirc it was something like 14.5 - 11.5 - 8.5 - 4.5

ricepig

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on September 13, 2017, 09:12:23 pm

Jan 1, 2020, lol, it drops to $4m.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: ricepig on September 13, 2017, 09:14:54 pm
Jan 1, 2020, lol, it drops to $4m.

The last year.

Lol.

Quite possibly the stupidest contract in the history of ever. At least Weiss got ND to a BCS bowl.

grayhawg

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on September 13, 2017, 05:12:16 pm
This is tea leaves stuff just like Wallace Hall's columns.  If the least little negativity is slipping through from the pumpers the winds of change or at least urgency are blowing.

What's crazy is that Wally is in full defense mode in today's column. It's all about how recruiting isn't a problem.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: Seebs on September 13, 2017, 09:07:19 pm
If rick is waffling, and I need to take your word for it as DTS is herpes to my cochlea, then the end is nigh.

This made me laugh.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

PorkSoda

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on September 13, 2017, 09:17:40 pm
The last year.

Lol.

Quite possibly the stupidest contract in the history of ever. At least Weiss got ND to a BCS bowl.

ouch,

"Arkansas would have to pay Bielema $15.4 million if he were fired before 2018, $11.7 million before 2019, $7.9 million before 2020 and $4 million in the final year of his contract"

I must have still been thinking of the old contract which was

6.4 million 12/31/17 - second to last year
3.2 million 12/31/18 - last year

not sure how he managed such a large increase in the buy out to go with his extension.

mckinneyhog5

If BB is fired/resigns guarantee in 4 years posters here will want the next coach fired. No doubt in my mind. Wash, rinse, repeat.
Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on April 07, 2019, 10:29:55 pmGuys, we have hired the BEST coach that we could have hired. Musselman is gonna rock it here like we haven't seen since the early 90's. Just sit back and watch it unfold! We WILL be a nationally recognized program again soon.

WilsonHog

Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on September 13, 2017, 09:38:25 pm
If BB is fired/resigns guarantee in 4 years posters here will want the next coach fired. No doubt in my mind. Wash, rinse, repeat.

If that coach were 26-27 and played like we did last Saturday, wouldn't you expect it?

presidenthog

Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on September 13, 2017, 09:38:25 pm

I am not sure how you have come to this conclusion. He is on pace to be our worst coach since joining the sec. Danny Ford and bert are neck and neck, but Ford at least recruited Well. We are not keeping up with the rest of the sec in that phase. So unless Bert somehow wins like 10 games this year. He will be remembered as the least winning coach at arkansas in a century essentially.

We have not gone this long without winning 9 games in almost 30 years. I do not accept that we are this bad. I know that we aren't. This guy is sinking our national perception everyday.