Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

To next coach: No more Pro-Style philosophy

Started by jst01, September 13, 2017, 03:19:24 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

bvillepig

BP tried to get playmakers isolated in space with mismatches. 
BP also used the pass to set up the run instead of vice versa. 

BB's philosophy will work with NFL type lineman which evidently we don't have except for one. I would like to see our speed with more touches. Maybe quick slants, wheel routes to backs, and some delayed routes to the tight end in space. I understand the run to set up play action with 8 or 9 in the box thats not working.

BB just isn't BP in any way, shape or form.  Thats OK.  I don't care if we run 65 QB sneaks per game if we win.  To keep trying the same crap that hasn't worked well except against weak rent a wins for 4 plus years and knowing it won't work against any established team your size, is just plain stupid.

PorkSoda

Quote from: 12247 on September 14, 2017, 10:22:26 pm
BB just isn't BP in any way, shape or form.  Thats OK.  I don't care if we run 65 QB sneaks per game if we win.  To keep trying the same crap that hasn't worked well except against weak rent a wins for 4 plus years and knowing it won't work against any established team your size, is just plain stupid.
I wish we would have run a couple QB sneaks last saturday. 
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: VirginiaHog on September 14, 2017, 10:23:53 am
You do know Bobby Petrino ran a pro style offense here right?

Actually, he called it a power spread.
But yes it was essentially pro style.

Actually he doesn't. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/cardinalsportszone.com/2016/09/08/nunnsense-3-keys-to-a-successful-bobby-petrino-team/amp/

"Petrino is the architect of the power spread offense even though that title was given to his offense by the media."

"He says it's not a spread offense. "
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: 12247 on September 14, 2017, 07:03:40 pm
I know we keep hearing that BB operates a Pro Style offense and in some ways he does.  But more often than not, he abuses the system.  Only idiots keep running into a line on short yardage in the same place with the same people behind the same line and continue to fail time and time again.  That isn't pro style football. The Pros still find ways to attack a particular defense even though most NFL teams operate very similar defenses.  Nearly every team has different strong and weak points in their defenses and that always alters the Pro attack.  Not BBs attack but smart operated NFL attacks.

BB seems to believe that if he can run into FAMs line for 5 yards a carry that he can do that against anyone, you know like TCU, BAMA, Aubbie, etc..  Truth is we don't actually run anything but a theory.  We want to run a power running game, then we want to run a power running game, then we want to run a power running game.  Then we are in trouble and we want to try things we haven't really worked on much like throwing the ball, cleanly, accurately and on time.  Then we want to get the fast Guy in the lineup to strut around the end but no one is on the same page because we've never tried it but it sounds good now that we cannot go up the middle.  So in comes fast Guy, ice cold and stiff,  and the D has seen this little change up before because it is vintage Arkansas and they hammer the fast Dude for no gain or a fumble and oops, that ends it for fast Dude today but we will trot him out next game in the same situation.  Our QB who has way more feel for the game than any of the coaches frowns when some brain dead pass play is called feeling it won't work and sure enough, it doesn't.  We telegraph nearly every play we run by the personnel we use to run it and then wonder why it doesn't work.

To call us a pro style offense is such a stretch.

Not watched much of a Gary Kubiak offense have you.
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

srange98

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on September 13, 2017, 04:34:14 pm
Needs to be an offense that has the following.

Clemson's vertical downfield passing concepts
Oklahoma's outside rushing concepts
Alabama's inside rushing concepts

What we have now is a borderline Tecmo Bowl playbook.

Great analogy.  It sure seems like the creativity is gone.  Maybe some of that is the O-line's pass pro struggles and the lack of good WR play, but it sure looked like the calls were UP+A for a pass or LEFT+B for a run play.  Maybe next time RIGHT+A for a pass, etc.

hvsupastar

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on September 13, 2017, 04:34:14 pm
Needs to be an offense that has the following.

Clemson's vertical downfield passing concepts
Oklahoma's outside rushing concepts
Alabama's inside rushing concepts

What we have now is a borderline Tecmo Bowl playbook.

Yeah I'd say if we were a combination of Clemson, OU, and Bama we'd be better
"Do not believe everything you read on the internet just because it has quotations next to the image of someone prominent" - Abraham Lincoln

draftkings33

Quote from: hvsupastar on September 14, 2017, 11:27:29 pm
Yeah I'd say if we were a combination of Clemson, OU, and Bama we'd be better
ha.  Very true

pingeye2

I would think that a "pro-style" offense would attract kids whose ambition is playing at the next level....guess not, or at least not many who actually have a real chance to do so.