Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Allen Says Hogs Running Game Will Get Better

Started by Scott Marshall, September 13, 2017, 01:04:20 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott Marshall

He wasn't specific but minutes after the Arkansas-TCU game had ended Arkansas quarterback Austin Allen predicted that the running game issues caused by TCU's defense would be fixed.

"They brought the safeties down," Allen explained when asked why the Hogs' offensive line was overwhelmed at times during the game. "They added in guys. They kind of loaded up the box a little bit. They were fast and physical and when we did have a big play we kind of shot ourselves in the foot. We'll look at it. We'll get better."

full story here: http://www.nwahomepage.com/razorback-nation/allen-says-hogs-running-game-will-get-better/810088348

jimhog

Tell me about the running game after playing Alabama.  Arkansas will look like high school, does look like high school.

Calling All Hogs

HoggieStyle

"They're bringing the safeties down"

And they had no answer for this...LOL

Play-action. Quick slant. Problem solved.

porkbellys

haven't seen this mentioned, running the clock down on every play does that not let the defense pretty much know when the ball will be snapped. lets them rest as well as get off the ball quicker.

thoughts?
No offence to Richard but don't be a Dick.

hobhog

Believe it or not Austin, there are still Hog fans pulling for you.

PorkSoda

Quote from: HoggieStyle on September 13, 2017, 03:21:57 pm

right? is this the first time in his life that he has seen run support from safeties?

Surely our OC has seen it before? right?
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

azhog10

HardCore

Beware the lollipop of mediocrity; lick it once and you'll suck forever....Brian Wilson (Beach Boys)

widespreadsooie

johnny cash

BigE_23

No need to worry everyone...they're gonna fix it!! I feel so much better.

Uberanubis

Quote from: Surfing8 on September 13, 2017, 04:14:23 pm
Actually, did we run a single slant attempt on Saturday? 

when the DB's do not respect your receivers they get jammed up on the line, as what was happening all day long. there was no way we could have thrown the slants.
Quote from: East TN HAWG on January 31, 2015, 11:37:05 am
I think it's a common event whether it is in AR or around the world where a group of Hog fans get together.  I've seen it in TN, TX, LA and in Germany.  Being a Razorback is like being in a brotherhood.  When the brotherhood meet, they call the Hogs.

zane

Wasn't it a slant route that Cantrell got called for the PI on?

I was several glasses of whiskey in at that point so maybe not....
RIP LSUfan

rhames

How does one throw a quick slant on play that uses deception as a set up?
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

Hog N Bama

And they had NO PLAN to address this if it happened? GEEZE

navyhog24

Instead of reassuring us about the running game, how about reassuring on the piss poor passing game and that you'll get your head out of your rear end?

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: zane on September 14, 2017, 07:34:24 am
Wasn't it a slant route that Cantrell got called for the PI on?

I was several glasses of whiskey in at that point so maybe not....

Poor execution of a pick...and I was about even with you on the whiskey!
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

Cure

We ran slants twice I believe.
Team Economics
From Keynes to Friedman, we know what's up.

Redhogs

Quote from: Scott Marshall on September 13, 2017, 01:04:20 pm
He wasn't specific but minutes after the Arkansas-TCU game had ended Arkansas quarterback Austin Allen predicted that the running game issues caused by TCU's defense would be fixed.

"They brought the safeties down," Allen explained when asked why the Hogs' offensive line was overwhelmed at times during the game. "They added in guys. They kind of loaded up the box a little bit. They were fast and physical and when we did have a big play we kind of shot ourselves in the foot. We'll look at it. We'll get better."

full story here: http://www.nwahomepage.com/razorback-nation/allen-says-hogs-running-game-will-get-better/810088348
Hey Bert...that what halftime adjustment are for. Of course you have never made any since you have been here (0-15 when trailing at ht)..so why start now. :-\ :-\
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

Hoggish1

When a team brings the safeties down do we have to wait till next week to fix it or are there any audibles that we can use?  Just asking...

cmphill87

I think TCU brought the safeties down and stacked the box simply because we don't have a legitimate or established deep threat such as Hatcher last year. Even if you got a lucky slant off, would they worry much about Cantrell? Also why not bring the safeties since the running game and offensive line is also unproven. TCU aimed at making us one dimensional, and they did just that. When we did need chunks of yards to convert 3rd downs, they played spectacular coverage. (4-14 on 3rd down) Its pathetic there wasn't an answer for it after 1 or 2 possessions let alone half time. Brets 0-15 trailing at half time record tells that story pretty well. The best teams and the best players make adjustments. No matter the coordinators we've had, CBB teams have not made adjustments.
-Chrisky

HoggieStyle

Quote from: rhames on September 14, 2017, 07:39:05 am

How does one throw a quick slant on play that uses deception as a set up?

OK, so it might not have been as quick as a "hot" read slant when the QB reads red dog, and it's 3-step drop and release.

Still....QB fakes hand-off and gets rid of the ball with the quickness. Receiver can drive and cut inside or push outside the DB and then cut. Likely the equivalent of a 5-step drop. Not a slow-developing play.

Just an example. There are other ways around the problem. That one seemed like an easy one.

rhames

Quote from: HoggieStyle on September 14, 2017, 11:06:30 am
OK, so it might not have been as quick as a "hot" read slant when the QB reads red dog, and it's 3-step drop and release.

Still....QB fakes hand-off and gets rid of the ball with the quickness. Receiver can drive and cut inside or push outside the DB and then cut. Likely the equivalent of a 5-step drop. Not a slow-developing play.

Just an example. There are other ways around the problem. That one seemed like an easy one.

Yeah. To me a quick slant, and most slants, do not involve too much play action. Now crossing route, drag routes I'm on board with. All moot if the receiver gets over powered and jammed at the line of scrimmage. Or TE runs his route and doesn't stay in bounds.
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

ND

Right on.  I'm with you guys.  Play action typically requires more time for route development than a slant package.

Arkansas simply did not have an answer for the 4-2-5.  When it was obvious that Arkansas was going to stick to ground and pound and not go up-tempo (which I think TCU was counting on), and we weren't having any luck with, well ...anything, they brought the DBs up to run the gaps and put pressure on Austin, which also had the added benefit of slowing the run.  They could send 1 DB every time and still have plenty of pass coverage.  And they did. 

We responded by using RBs and TEs to pick up the DBs to give Austin some time, which would have worked fine if our WRs could have got separation.  With all the WRs swallowed up or making little effort to break off (I actually saw some of them just stand there sometimes, when Austin got flushed out) and without any check downs, Austin's only options were to eat it, run, force it or throw it away, all of which he did at some point.  Multiple times.  Austin's frustration at the offensive line was misplaced.  I think they were doing a decent job blocking TCU's heavies.  When those DBs streaked in through the gaps and weren't being picked up quick enough is what did it. 

TCU's defense did exactly what they wanted it to do; beat on an offense that didn't have much skill in the skill positions.