Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Lots of programs struggling early in 2017. Will be interesting to see unfold.

Started by hobhog, September 13, 2017, 11:10:04 am

Previous topic - Next topic

hobhog

Florida/UT loser this week will hear lots of grumbling from fanbase. Gus is hearing it early. Sumlin and coach B need no further mention. Ole miss is obviously already in the hunt for new coach. LSU is unproven. Mizzou isn't on solid ground.

And that's  just the SEC.

BigBrandonAllenFan

Quote from: hobhog on September 13, 2017, 11:10:04 am
Florida/UT loser this week will hear lots of grumbling from fanbase. Gus is hearing it early. Sumlin and coach B need no further mention. Ole miss is obviously already in the hunt for new coach. LSU is unproven. Mizzou isn't on solid ground.

Start at the top with Saban and fire them all.  Start over fresh.

TNhawgfan

UT fanbase still believes in Butch. Most of the fans i talk to here in Knoxville feel he has a great shot to win the east this year. Sure, he has his detractors, but there are 100,000 fans there every homegame
I'd rather be dead than be a Vol

hobhog

Quote from: TNhawgfan on September 13, 2017, 12:15:41 pm
UT fanbase still believes in Butch. Most of the fans i talk to here in Knoxville feel he has a great shot to win the east this year. Sure, he has his detractors, but there are 100,000 fans there every homegame

They were lucky to beat GA Tech, and if they lose Saturday I bet that changes.....

hogcard1964

Quote from: hobhog on September 13, 2017, 11:10:04 am

IMO, I haven't seen the SEC this weak in 15+ years.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: hogcard1964 on September 13, 2017, 03:02:49 pm
IMO, I haven't seen the SEC this weak in 15+ years.

Yeah, it's the coaches. 

SC:  Wasn't sold on Muschamp, but could actually be better than expected. 
GA: will be lucky to reach Richt levels of success under Smart, their overall staff is weak. 
FL:  Swamp Donkey won the East by default, but not setting the world on fire. 
KY:  Stoops meh, took him 4 seasons just to get to a bowl. 
MU:  Definite downgrade when going from Pinkel to Odom.
VU:  Improving but Mason's ceiling may be lower than Franklin's was there.
TN:  Jones is lucky no one else is dominating.  Now he gets a lot of grief but he was definitely an upgrade over Dooley.  Dooley was 15-21 over 3 years.  Last 3 years Jones is 25-14

Bama Saban is Saban

AU:  Gus on hot seat.
AR:  Bielema losing identity and the fanbase.
OM:  Shambles
A&M: Squeaking by Nichols, Sumlin dead coach walking.
LSU:  May be OK, but haven't been tested.  Coach O not thought of as elite.
MSU:  Mullen arguably regarded as second best coach in division and went 6-7 last year.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

hogcard1964

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on September 13, 2017, 03:23:38 pm
Yeah, it's the coaches. 

GA: will be lucky to reach Richt levels of success under Smart, their overall staff is weak. 
TN:  Jones is lucky no one else is dominating.  Now he gets a lot of grief but he was definitely an upgrade over Dooley.  Dooley was 15-21 over 3 years.  Last 3 years Jones is 25-14

Bama Saban is Saban

MSU:  Mullen arguably regarded as second best coach in division and went 6-7 last year.

I think Mullen may be the best of the lot.

LRHawg

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on September 13, 2017, 03:23:38 pm
Yeah, it's the coaches. 

Bama Saban is Saban

Where have all the good coaches gone? If you were to put a top 5 list of college football coaches in the country together as of now, would only one be from the SEC?

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: hogcard1964 on September 13, 2017, 03:29:30 pm
I think Mullen may be the best of the lot.

He's good especially considering what he has done in Starkville.  I was a bit tongue in cheek with the 6-7 remark.  It was definitely a rebuilding year for them last year.  They lost Dak and started a RS freshman that got better as the year went on.  Their new DC was garbage and to DM's credit he didn't wait another year to see if it worked out.  Sent Sirmon packing and got a huge upgrade in Grantham.   While he can come off as a bit grating or odd, he is a great fit there.  Think he is a good balance of recruiter, talent developer, and game coach.  May not be the best at any one area but seems to do a good job in all 3. 
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

hogsgolfpro

Quote from: LRHawg on September 13, 2017, 03:30:57 pm
Where have all the good coaches gone? If you were to put a top 5 list of college football coaches in the country together as of now, would only one be from the SEC?
They are smart and coach in leagues where they may have to beat 1 or 2 top 25 teams each year and sleep through the other games to have a chance at CFP instead of the SEC grind just to be 8-5 with no real chance at a championship.

East TN HAWG

Quote from: TNhawgfan on September 13, 2017, 12:15:41 pm

Not trying to doubt you and your circle.  I'm hearing a little different. 

Folks thought he had the team to win it last year and didn't.  Butch has very thin skin, and does not like that TN fans are not appreciating him for the job he thinks he is doing.  If they lose to Fla, it will be equally bad at UT as AR.

My opinion is Butch will be at TN next year only of they win the East.  If not, he will be fired or leave on his own.     

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

hobhog

Just read some of the AU board threads. Gus is worse off than I thought.....