Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Did JL really offer Petrino a deal?

Started by lakecityhog, September 11, 2017, 09:00:06 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: Mo_Better_Hogs on September 11, 2017, 10:25:35 pm
Well, it IS making me forget about TCU.

Word. Got in a car accident so let's reminisce about losing a leg in the war to make myself feel better about it. Lol.
This is my non-signature signature.

Hog_Swanson

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on September 11, 2017, 10:29:01 pm
Word. Got in a car accident so let's reminisce about losing a leg in the war to make myself feel better about it. Lol.
Did you loose a leg?
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on February 08, 2018, 08:00:41 pm

I have gonads, and as soon as my wife gets back I'll prove it.  I keep 'em in her purse. >:(

Quote from: PorkSoda on Today at 04:03:25 pm
Okay, you are right, I should have done that first instead of going off of what other people said was said.
So basically all my complaining was for nothing and I'm a dumbass.  I should have just watch the presser BEFORE commenting.

jmg018

Better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all...

WilsonHog

Porked Tongue

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: WilsonHog on September 11, 2017, 10:33:18 pm
Has anyone ever intentionally loosed their leg?

I did once but stopped going to strip clubs right after.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: Hog_Swanson on September 11, 2017, 10:32:06 pm
Did you loose a leg?

No. Been shot a couple times, but fortunately I have all my appendages and limbs.

PonderinHog

Quote from: WilsonHog on September 11, 2017, 10:33:18 pm
Has anyone ever intentionally loosed their leg?
Someone loosed an arrow to his knee.

Gonzo

Quote from: Porked Tongue on September 11, 2017, 10:28:46 pm
Can't play when you're sitting in jail. 

Guess I'm missing the reference here.

Go Hogs!

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: Gonzo on September 11, 2017, 10:51:20 pm
Guess I'm missing the reference here.

Go Hogs!

You're missing the killer instink

wachhog

Quote from: Porked Tongue on September 11, 2017, 10:09:59 pm
Well, I'm not of the view we're hearing all truth in this thread.  Not saying anyone is a liar but going buy what they are told might be accurate.

This is for certain, Bobby had a shot to save himself but didn't conform.  I also know that other indiscretions came to light that are not in the public domain.  The man had no contrition.  It was never going to get right for him.
But, like poster said, when they talk about him and the Cardinals every Saturday, nobody mentions Jessica, the motorcycle, the lack of contrition, how he offended Cotton Bowl officials who "will never have him back," the Falcons or poor Arkansas. They mention his coaching genius. And he did get hired  as the head football coach. not the head of First National Church of the World in Northwest Arkansas.

Porked Tongue

Quote from: wachhog on September 11, 2017, 11:03:26 pm
But, like poster said, when they talk about him and the Cardinals every Saturday, nobody mentions Jessica, the motorcycle, the lack of contrition, how he offended Cotton Bowl officials who "will never have him back," the Falcons or poor Arkansas. They mention his coaching genius. And he did get hired  as the head football coach. not the head of First National Church of the World in Northwest Arkansas.
Those people are in "sales".

Let's not forget the sheetstorm that followed him here.  This was just the one that got him as he got comfortable over time.  His departure was never going to be anything but ugly.

And for the record, I'm not a moralist or need my football coach to hold the perfect moral compass.  Being a curmudgeon is fine.  But he builds his world to occasionally crumble.

Porked Tongue

onebadrubi

Quote from: Porked Tongue on September 11, 2017, 11:11:58 pm
If pursued, it would been more than that for DGB.

I think I know the story younare talking about, but the theif part is a blank on me.  Would love to know the completed story

Porked Tongue

Quote from: onebadrubi on September 11, 2017, 11:14:00 pm
I think I know the story younare talking about, but the theif part is a blank on me.  Would love to know the completed story
Two separate incidents.

WilsonHog

Quote from: onebadrubi on September 11, 2017, 11:10:50 pm
Dwi?

This is the sixth football season since that disastrous April day.

Were Petrino still here, it would be his 10th in Fayetteville. Possible, sure; I'd wager not probable. I figure Long would still have had to hire Petrino's replacement by now, and it probably would have turned out about like it has.

onebadrubi

Quote from: WilsonHog on September 11, 2017, 11:15:45 pm

Were Petrino still here, it would be his 10th in Fayetteville. Possible, sure; I'd wager not probable. I figure Long would still have had to hire Petrino's replacement by now, and it probably would have turned out about like it has.

I agree.  I also think the next coach, whenever it is, will be walking in to a really good situation, we have some very good foundational pieces in my opinion.

The Boar War

Quote from: onebadrubi on September 11, 2017, 11:26:28 pm
I agree.  I also think the next coach, whenever it is, will be walking in to a really good situation, we have some very good foundational pieces in my opinion.

Maybe.  I'm actually surprised by the lack of foundational pieces he's brought in.  After watching Bielema and Wisconsin I was sure that, if nothing else, we would have strong lines and a decent running game when he left.  Almost any incoming coach can do something with that.  I would have bet money that 3 and 1 would be a gimme in year 5.  For whatever reason it hasn't worked out that way.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on September 11, 2017, 09:15:12 pm
Cause that's always completely accurate.

What he said VS What some message board poster thinks he may have possibly heard in some thread or another...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

cram224

I have a question for the armchair AD's. CBP after a day or two could have just returned to work and not said one thing. No comment. However, he called a press conference and lied to you, me, Jeff Long and every other hog fan out there. He was stupid for doing that and that is why I feel he should not be the coach now. When in trouble just keep your mouth shut. What say you armchair AD's.

TulsaHawg

I sat by a former player on the bus after the game Saturday.  He played for Petrino.

As slowly as the bus travelled down Razorback Road, we had a chance to talk about several things.

I asked him if most of the players wanted BP to stay. Not surprisingly, he said yes.

I asked him what he thought should have happened with BP, he said he thought it should have been "swept under the rug". 

We also talked about DGB. He said DGB told the players on his recruiting visit, that he was not coming to Arkansas, but that he was going to Mizzou.

onebadrubi

Quote from: cram224 on September 12, 2017, 08:46:13 am
I have a question for the armchair AD's. CBP after a day or two could have just returned to work and not said one thing. No comment. However, he called a press conference and lied to you, me, Jeff Long and every other hog fan out there. He was stupid for doing that and that is why I feel he should not be the coach now. When in trouble just keep your mouth shut. What say you armchair AD's.

I don't  think he called for that press conference.   Im sure if it was up to him he would have waited for the road rash to at least heal

hawgon

Quote from: cram224 on September 12, 2017, 08:46:13 am

I say it is pretty rich that you blame him for lying at his press conference and don't blame Jeff Long for lying at his.

Fan701

September 12, 2017, 09:04:21 am #75 Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 09:30:26 am by Fan701
Firing BP was a self-inflicted wound that we may never recover from, at least not in my life-time.  It's now hard to imagine finishing a season ranked #5, expecting to win most games, being relevant, going to BCS bowl games.  And who knows, maybe with just the right ingredients and a little luck he'd have won a national championship for us by now.  It always seemed possible with him.  Now success looks far, far away.

GuvHog

I see there are those on here that are still kissing Jeff Long's backside and believe everything he said about Petrino. I did the same thing with Houston Nutt for years until the truth about him became too obvious to deny any longer. The number of people finally realizing the truth about Jeff Long is growing though, and that's good to see.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

IronHog

Quote from: WilsonHog on September 11, 2017, 11:15:45 pm

Brandon Allen would have destroyed all with BP.
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

Razorbax

She might not have been the most qualified, but she has an MBA.
Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on September 11, 2017, 10:18:47 pm
The position was student athlete development coordinator and it called for a masters degree and experience in a football program. She had neither.

Up until that point, her only experience was as a head coach's concubine.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

ImHogginIt

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on September 11, 2017, 10:18:47 pm
The position was student athlete development coordinator and it called for a masters degree and experience in a football program. She had neither.

Up until that point, her only experience was as a head coach's concubine.

The football coach can hire anyone he wants. It makes no difference what the actual listed job description says

007 License To Squeal

Quote from: hawgon on September 11, 2017, 09:16:27 pm
It's the only definitive statement from someone who was there that we have.

and that makes it a true statement?  uh...no.
******Proud Member of Hogville.net since May 22, 2003, 08:17:38 PM*******

GuvHog

Quote from: IronHog on September 12, 2017, 09:21:13 am
Brandon Allen would have destroyed all with BP.

I agree. BP knows how to develop QB's and the proof is in the pudding. When Tyler Wilson arrived on campus from Greenwood, he couldn't even take a snap from up under center without fumbling or mishandling it. It took BP and his staff 3 years to turn him from a shotgun only QB into a multi-purpose pro style QB.

hawgon

Quote from: 007 License To Squeal on September 12, 2017, 09:37:47 am
and that makes it a true statement?  uh...no.

Not necessarily, but it is the only statement on the record that isn't rumor or innuendo.

solitons

Long didn't handle well to protect his people--our coach
Long screwed our football program

redneckfriend

Quote from: GuvHog on September 12, 2017, 09:04:23 am
I see there are those on here that are still kissing Jeff Long's backside and believe everything he said about Petrino. I did the same thing with Houston Nutt for years until the truth about him became too obvious to deny any longer. The number of people finally realizing the truth about Jeff Long is growing though, and that's good to see.

I see there are those on here who are still kissing Bobby Petrino's backside.  My view is this. Bobby Petrino is a snake and a man of low character. Those who defend him and suggest he should have remained Arkansas' coach forget that the University of Arkansas is NOT chartered by the state to provide Saturday entertainment to a bunch of people who never even attended, much less graduated from the university. It is tasked with providing higher education to those who are accepted and to provide the state with lawyers, doctors, accountants, teachers etc.

I understand that many fans have no relationship to the university except the sports teams but those people should be smart enough to understand that Petrino was a representative of the university as a whole and, as such, the state of Arkansas and he abused his position, in fact he pretty much debased the school and the state by his actions. To rationalize his behavior because he won football games puts people who do that, in my opinion, in the same category of character as Bobby himself. Further I would really like to know how many actual graduates of the university, bachelor's degree or graduate degree, actually think Bobby Petrino should have been retained as coach.

IronHog

Quote from: redneckfriend on September 12, 2017, 10:54:15 am
I see there are those on here who are still kissing Bobby Petrino's backside.  My view is this. Bobby Petrino is a snake and a man of low character. Those who defend him and suggest he should have remained Arkansas' coach forget that the University of Arkansas is NOT chartered by the state to provide Saturday entertainment to a bunch of people who never even attended, much less graduated from the university. It is tasked with providing higher education to those who are accepted and to provide the state with lawyers, doctors, accountants, teachers etc.

I understand that many fans have no relationship to the university except the sports teams but those people should be smart enough to understand that Petrino was a representative of the university as a whole and, as such, the state of Arkansas and he abused his position, in fact he pretty much debased the school and the state by his actions. To rationalize his behavior because he won football games puts people who do that, in my opinion, in the same category of character as Bobby himself. Further I would really like to know how many actual graduates of the university, bachelor's degree or graduate degree, actually think Bobby Petrino should have been retained as coach.

Most UA alumni bail to Dallas ASAP

Play to win or let A State have the helmet

GuvHog

That's right keep kissing Jeff Long's backside. Your ignorance is amazing. I have never once even tried to rationalize BP's behavior at Arkansas, I have always stated that he was wrong and should have been punished for it. He should not however, have been fired as his transgressions did not merit that. It was just another one of Long's failures

redneckfriend

Quote from: GuvHog on September 12, 2017, 11:38:38 am
That's right keep kissing Jeff Long's backside. Your ignorance is amazing. I have never once even tried to rationalize BP's behavior at Arkansas, I have always stated that he was wrong and should have been punished for it. He should not however, have been fired as his transgressions did not merit that. It was just another one of Long's failures

I would argue that a state employee hiring a whore with stolen money was an offense worthy of firing and I would further suggest that you and every other Petrino supporter on this site would have insisted that is was if jeff Long had been caught doing it.

gchamblee

Quote from: GuvHog on September 12, 2017, 11:38:38 am

He embarrassed the University which was a breach of contract and was cause for termination
He supplemented an assistant salary with personal money which was a breach of contract and cause for termination
He lied to his boss and the media in a press conference that he called himself

You clam there was no reason to fire the man. You are the one who looks ignorant.

Ex-Trumpet

Wrong.  He debased himself and his family. 

Not one sane person thinks, "wow, that school is totally debased because of Bobby Petrino.  In fact, I think I'll go trout fishing someplace else; the White River is in Arkansas, a totally debased and morally corrupt state!"
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

solitons

Quote from: gchamblee on September 12, 2017, 11:43:58 am
He embarrassed the University which was a breach of contract and was cause for termination
He supplemented an assistant salary with personal money which was a breach of contract and cause for termination
He lied to his boss and the media in a press conference that he called himself

You clam there was no reason to fire the man. You are the one who looks ignorant.
he wins a lot game too

gchamblee

Quote from: solitons on September 12, 2017, 11:47:08 am
he wins a lot game too

Yes he does, which is why it is a shame that the other stuff happened. I would have loved for him to still be our coach. However, the other stuff did happen.

ricepig

Quote from: IronHog on September 12, 2017, 11:26:37 am
Most UA alumni bail to Dallas ASAP

Play to win or let A State have the helmet

And lots of them drive up to the games. A good proportion stay in NWA, too.

hoghearted

Quote from: redneckfriend on September 12, 2017, 11:43:00 am
I would argue that a state employee hiring a whore with stolen money was an offense worthy of firing and I would further suggest that you and every other Petrino supporter on this site would have insisted that is was if jeff Long had been caught doing it.

Pretty strong words, there. What stolen money, exactly?
It really is this simple. Unchecked government power leads to corruption, and lack of accountability for it is drastically eroding confidence in our institutions.    aristotle

jgphillips3

I love the "actual graduates" opinion matters idea.  Here's an idea, why don't we let the teaching faculty and students coach the team and call the plays?  I mean, if their opinion matters so much, why not just have mathlete events in that stadium on Saturdays instead?  The whole State supports the Razorbacks.  If we didn't, they would be A-State at best and Fayetteville would still be a backwater town.  The athletics are what bind us ALL to the program and University.  Don't believe me or don't care, stop playing football tomorrow and see what happens to the beloved university in the eyes of the State. 

ricepig

Quote from: jgphillips3 on September 12, 2017, 11:53:49 am
I love the "actual graduates" opinion matters idea.  Here's an idea, why don't we let the teaching faculty and students coach the team and call the plays?  I mean, if their opinion matters so much, why not just have mathlete events in that stadium on Saturdays instead?  The whole State supports the Razorbacks.  If we didn't, they would be A-State at best and Fayetteville would still be a backwater hole in the wall. 

Because some of them are graduates of other universities. We can't have that!

IronHog

Quote from: ricepig on September 12, 2017, 11:50:13 am
And lots of them drive up to the games. A good proportion stay in NWA, too.

The north Dallas NWA Razorbacks are what they are......

redneckfriend

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on September 12, 2017, 11:45:03 am
Wrong.  He debased himself and his family. 

Not one sane person thinks, "wow, that school is totally debased because of Bobby Petrino.  In fact, I think I'll go trout fishing someplace else; the White River is in Arkansas, a totally debased and morally corrupt state!"

No, you have a real problem if that is how you see it. He was not just a representative of the school and the state, but as the head coach in a football mad state, possibly the most visible representative. So I would say that "not one sane person" thinks Bobby Petrino didn't debase the school and the state by his actions.

Having a moral compass is somewhat important for everyone if society is going to function (and I'm no prude- I really don't care if he is having an private affair- that is between himself and his wife). But when a prominent person abuses his position and authority by using money that isn't his to hire a woman for his own personal (shall we be clear and say carnal) use then that moral failing reflects on the entire system if it isn't addressed. It certainly reflects on the school and the moral standards it expects from its employees.

Quote from: hoghearted on September 12, 2017, 11:52:43 am
Pretty strong words, there. What stolen money, exactly?

I'm sorry- perhaps I didn't understand the situation exactly. If the $55,000 salary, or whatever it was, was paid out Bobby's own pocket then I misprized him and I humbly apologize and beg his forgiveness.