Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Did JL really offer Petrino a deal?

Started by lakecityhog, September 11, 2017, 09:00:06 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

lakecityhog

It seems that in another thread I read that during the Petrino fiasco JL actually offered Petrino a way to keep his job. Is that true or just rumor? Anyone know any of the details of the offer?

If this is true and that Petrino turned down the JL offer, was integrity an after-thought? Is this just one more example of hype over truth?

LZH

SPAL

Yes. Bob wanted out. He found a way. Hogvilles hero didn't wanna be here any longer.

WilsonHog

Quote from: lakecityhog on September 11, 2017, 09:00:06 pm
It seems that in another thread I read that during the Petrino fiasco JL actually offered Petrino a way to keep his job. Is that true or just rumor? Anyone know any of the details of the offer?

If this is true and that Petrino turned down the JL offer, was integrity an after-thought? Is this just one more example of hype over truth?

Details? No. As I remember it, Petrino made a comment that Long "was trying to turn me into a monk." He left Long's office and went home, had second thoughts, and tried to get back in touch with Long. Too late.

LZH

Bottom line, Petrino could have saved his job but he was too much of a prick to do it. End of story. Now we Now we are

hawgon

Long specifically denied that there wer any conditions under which Petrino could have kept his job at the press conference. 

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: hawgon on September 11, 2017, 09:13:03 pm
Long specifically denied that there wer any conditions under which Petrino could have kept his job at the press conference.

Cause that's always completely accurate.
This is my non-signature signature.

LZH

Trust me....that was bullshiite.

hawgon

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on September 11, 2017, 09:15:12 pm
Cause that's always completely accurate.

It's the only definitive statement from someone who was there that we have.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: LZH on September 11, 2017, 09:15:56 pm
Trust me....that was bullshiite.

"I told him what must be done to remain employed at the University of Arkansas. He told me to go Frank myself with the mini bat on the shelf behind my desk," sounds like press conference material.

Ugly Uncle

The media received leaks right up to the firing PC that Petrino was staying.

Now, these are just rumors that were floating around the media room...but...

According to some, Jeff Long was planning on keeping Petrino, but some big money boosters wanted a personal apology.  It was a couple of people that are community leaders, so I was told.  Bobby P. was willing to apologize but not to grovel for his job to these men.  He basically told them to...well...

So, Jeff fired him.

Now, is any of that true?  I don't know.  However, that was the talk among some of my fellow media people.
Retired Radio Host

lakecityhog

So did Long basically lie at the press conference?

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: lakecityhog on September 11, 2017, 09:19:54 pm

He didn't define the context in which he was answering.

grayhawg

What difference does it make, it was over years ago time to move on.

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: lakecityhog on September 11, 2017, 09:19:54 pm

Yes.  Without a doubt.

I was personally told by staff in the BAC that Long looked for a way to keep Bobby, but Bobby didn't cooperate.  So yes.  He lied.
Retired Radio Host

hawgon

Quote from: Ched "UglyUncle" Carpenter on September 11, 2017, 09:19:01 pm

According to some, Jeff Long was planning on keeping Petrino, but some big money boosters wanted a personal apology.  It was a couple of people that are community leaders, so I was told.  Bobby P. was willing to apologize but not to grovel for his job to these men.  He basically told them to...well...

So, Jeff fired him.

Now, is any of that true?  I don't know.  However, that was the talk among some of my fellow media people.

Well, they showed him.  Petrino will never coach at a BCS program again....

Marshfieldhog

Quote from: Ched "UglyUncle" Carpenter on September 11, 2017, 09:19:01 pm

So, Jeff fired him.

So close to continued success, yet so far.

Sivad

Whatever the discussions/negotiations were, it was a mistake for #5 Arkansas to fire Bobby Petrino.
The only entity that benefited from it was the personal reputation of one Jeff Long.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: grayhawg on September 11, 2017, 09:22:08 pm
What difference does it make, it was over years ago time to move on.

Not reliving it. Just discussing it.

You don't have to read it.

hawgon

Quote from: Sivad on September 11, 2017, 09:28:05 pm
Whatever the discussions/negotiations were, it was a mistake for #5 Arkansas to fire Bobby Petrino.
The only entity that benefited from it was the personal reputation of one Jeff Long.

Well, and Petrino.  He doesn't have to work for Long anymore.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: hawgon on September 11, 2017, 09:30:54 pm

Not like long had any leverage on him whatsoever before the wreck. Bobby was untouchable before that.

Gonzo

Quote from: WilsonHog on September 11, 2017, 09:08:25 pm
Details? No. As I remember it, Petrino made a comment that Long "was trying to turn me into a monk." He left Long's office and went home, had second thoughts, and tried to get back in touch with Long. Too late.

IMO this sums up the reason for the unrest in the fanbase regarding the decision, there doesn't seem to be one clear, official version. Regardless of whether JL chose the "right", or even only, option, I think he could have handled the situation more effectively.

If he did offer BP terms that would have allowed him to keep the job, he should have been open with what they were. Then any refusal by BP would have resulted in BP bearing the burden of any explanation for his decision. I think the fanbase would have mostly (much more so than they way it played out) lined up behind JL and supported his action.

However, if he did offer BP an option, I think that, along with his denial of any such option, undermines his integrity stance more than just a little. If an alternative was offered, then the final decision was not strictly about ethics.

That being said, only BP was responsible for getting himself into a situation where any of the details matter.

Go Hogs!

hawgon

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on September 11, 2017, 09:32:22 pm
Not like long had any leverage on him whatsoever before the wreck. Bobby was untouchable before that.

As he should have been

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: hawgon on September 11, 2017, 09:34:01 pm
As he should have been

Meh. Unfortunately hiring Jessica into the football staff was all that was really needed. Sucks, but the truth.

hawgon

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on September 11, 2017, 09:37:02 pm
Meh. Unfortunately hiring Jessica into the football staff was all that was really needed. Sucks, but the truth.

Hiring a chick for a made up position is a fireable offense.  If he had made up a position for his son like 80% of the other coaches in the world who have a kid interested in that, no one would have said a word.

wachhog

Quote from: hawgon on September 11, 2017, 09:30:54 pm
And he's back in Louisville where the moneyed donors are apparently more secure in their own skins. You know, old thoroughbred money... not chicken scratch or whatever.

hawgon

It does show how stupid we were though.  Now when they talk about Louisville every Saturday, no one mentions the Atlanta Falcons, no one mentions the motorcycle, no one mentions Arkansas.  They just talk about what a badass coach he is and what a badass team he has.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: hawgon on September 11, 2017, 09:39:40 pm
Hiring a chick for a made up position is a fireable offense.  If he had made up a position for his son like 80% of the other coaches in the world who have a kid interested in that, no one would have said a word.

He's not sleeping with his son. I seriously hope not anyway.

It to mention they OBVIOUSLY didn't hire the most qualified applicant. He was an LSU Grad with a Masters.

hawgon

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on September 11, 2017, 09:48:35 pm

It to mention they OBVIOUSLY didn't hire the most qualified applicant. He was an LSU Grad with a Masters.

It was A MADE UP POSITION.  They only posted it because they had to by law.  Every school district in Arkansas post positions every single day that they have no intention of filling with an outsider no matter how qualified he may be because they already know who they are going to promote or move within the district to take it.

lakecityhog

Do any of you realize that the "hiring his own mistress" is another load of "company line" bull?

Coaches do not hire anyone, they recommend to, guess who, their choice along with a salary offer. The AD's office does the hiring just like administration does at any company.

How many of you actually believe that BP fooling around was a real secret? Didn't she travel with BP on a couple of trips? Word was she was part of the reason the kid from Missouri de-committed.

BigE_23

Quote from: lakecityhog on September 11, 2017, 09:56:30 pm
Do any of you realize that the "hiring his own mistress" is another load of "company line" bull?

Coaches do not hire anyone, they recommend to, guess who, their choice along with a salary offer. The AD's office does the hiring just like administration does at any company.

How many of you actually believe that BP fooling around was a real secret? Didn't she travel with BP on a couple of trips? Word was she was part of the reason the kid from Missouri de-committed.

It has been widely speculated that Saint Jeffrey knew every detail of what was going on with Bobby and Jessica but fired CBP to cover his own ass.

Tejano Jawg

Word was she was part of the reason the kid from Missouri de-committed.

How so?
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

lakecityhog

A lot in this thread kinda takes a little of the shine off the Integrity Trophy,Huh?

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: lakecityhog on September 11, 2017, 10:03:25 pm
A lot in this thread kinda takes a little of the shine off the Integrity Trophy,Huh?

indeed.
Retired Radio Host

onebadrubi

who from Missouri de committed?  Please elaborate in full on this supposed story

The Boar War

Quote from: hawgon on September 11, 2017, 09:48:12 pm
It does show how stupid we were though.  Now when they talk about Louisville every Saturday, no one mentions the Atlanta Falcons, no one mentions the motorcycle, no one mentions Arkansas.  They just talk about what a badass coach he is and what a badass team he has.

As most knew it would.

Porked Tongue

Well, I'm not of the view we're hearing all truth in this thread.  Not saying anyone is a liar but going buy what they are told might be accurate.

This is for certain, Bobby had a shot to save himself but didn't conform.  I also know that other indiscretions came to light that are not in the public domain.  The man had no contrition.  It was never going to get right for him.

BigE_23

Quote from: onebadrubi on September 11, 2017, 10:08:14 pm
who from Missouri de committed?  Please elaborate in full on this supposed story

I don't know if de-comitted was the right word...but I suspect this is referring to Dorial Green-Beckham. The rumor I remember hearing is that DGB's mom was offended but the fact that Jessica attended a recruiting trip.

ImHogginIt

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on September 11, 2017, 09:48:35 pm

She was more than qualified to be on campus recruiting coordinator. By your logic Bielema should have hired the most experienced OL coach that applied for line coach instead of hiring lumpy.

Porked Tongue

Man, don't get me started on DGB.

He's a pathological friggin liar.  Not to mention a thief.

BigE_23

Quote from: Porked Tongue on September 11, 2017, 10:10:58 pm
Man, don't get me started on DGB.

He's a pathological friggin liar.  Not to mention a thief.

Agreed...it's just another chapter in the saga. We didn't lose anything with him, for sure.

PonderinHog

Quote from: Tejano Jawg on September 11, 2017, 10:03:15 pm
How so?
DGB ran into them out on the town together somewhere in Texas.  That's all I remember.  heard it on Hogville. Must be true.

Bonjour.

gbaurnett

onebadrubi

Quote from: PonderinHog on September 11, 2017, 10:12:56 pm
DGB ran into them out on the town together somewhere in Texas.  That's all I remember.  heard it on Hogville. Must be true.

Bonjour.

That was at some camp or something they bumped in to each other and he self reported it, or so was the public version. 

To accuse him of a theif, id love to hear the story!  Haha

DGB used that as a reason just makes him look silly.  Dude was in strip clubs and bars all over on recruiting trips.  Then obviously loved to smoke

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: ImHogginIt on September 11, 2017, 10:10:29 pm
She was more than qualified to be on campus recruiting coordinator. By your logic Bielema should have hired the most experienced OL coach that applied for line coach instead of hiring lumpy.

The position was student athlete development coordinator and it called for a masters degree and experience in a football program. She had neither.

Up until that point, her only experience was as a head coach's concubine.

The Boar War

Quote from: Porked Tongue on September 11, 2017, 10:09:59 pm
Well, I'm not of the view we're hearing all truth in this thread.  Not saying anyone is a liar but going buy what they are told might be accurate.

This is for certain, Bobby had a shot to save himself but didn't conform.  I also know that other indiscretions came to light that are not in the public domain.  The man had no contrition.  It was never going to get right for him.

I remember at the time there was some rumors over a multiple game suspension.  Allegedly Petrino would not agree to it because it would hurt the team.  In the end he really didn't believe Long would fire him.  He didn't count on Jeff being happier with a 6-6 coach than a BCS Bowl team lead by Bobby Petrino.

Hog_Swanson

Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on February 08, 2018, 08:00:41 pm

I have gonads, and as soon as my wife gets back I'll prove it.  I keep 'em in her purse. >:(

Quote from: PorkSoda on Today at 04:03:25 pm
Okay, you are right, I should have done that first instead of going off of what other people said was said.
So basically all my complaining was for nothing and I'm a dumbass.  I should have just watch the presser BEFORE commenting.

PonderinHog

Mo_Better_Hogs

Porked Tongue

Quote from: The Boar War on September 11, 2017, 10:19:07 pm
I remember at the time there was some rumors over a multiple game suspension.  Allegedly Petrino would not agree to it because it would hurt the team.  In the end he really didn't believe Long would fire him.  He didn't count on Jeff being happier with a 6-6 coach than a BCS Bowl team lead by Bobby Petrino.
Can't play when you're sitting in jail.