Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Venables wanted this job, remember....

Started by Pig in the Pokey, September 11, 2017, 10:21:46 am

Previous topic - Next topic

GuvHog

Quote from: 311Hog on September 11, 2017, 02:15:35 pm
what i want to know is why do people always go for the coach that wins with an insane amount of 5 star players?  That will never happen here we should be going for the guy that can win without the top 5 ranked recruiting class year in and year out.

Well, since we had a HC who went 10-2 in regular season in back to back years (2010 - 2011) and finished #12 and #5 in the nation with 3 & 4 star players then why not give a shot to a guy that wins with 5 star players??
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: GuvHog on September 11, 2017, 03:14:25 pm
Well, since we had a HC who went 10-2 in regular season in back to back years (2010 - 2011) and finished #12 and #5 in the nation with 3 & 4 star players then why not give a shot to a guy that wins with 5 star players??

That coach had a few 5 star players. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

GuvHog

Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

RazorbackAlways

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on September 11, 2017, 10:21:46 am
Brent wanted the job. Twice.

I would so love to play that kind of defense. I want Venables or Aranda to come in and fix this. And, as we sit back and try to (ironically) save money by pissing away 4.5 million a year, some other schools will hire these two this season. And they will be rewarded for it.

If either Venables or Aranda go through a few seasons of growing pains learning to become head coaches, at least we wouldnt be spinning our tires in the mud.

CBV has the fire in the belly, and the right scheme. And , I believe he is waiting for the right opportunity and turning down gigs every year. But, we already know he'd take this job. It's on his list of dream jobs.

Like Muschamp, Strong, and Smart? Lets consider whether its a wise decision or not. Star DCs dont seem to be making good HCs these days.

Cinco de Hogo

Will you idiots quit talking about defensive coaches for head coach at Arkansas!!!  Why do you make this mistake over and over again?  If we don't have a world beating offense we aren't much because we have NEVER had a world beating defense.  It's not going to happen HEAR THIS!!!  NEVER!

Now when we get the right coach he will bring a very strong offense and a decent enough defense to average 8-9 wins per year with a 10+ season ever 4 years or so.  Or we could get another Petrino(doubtful) and he might go 21-5.   However it's not going to happen with a defensive coach at Arkansas.

How often do you need to be told this?

Now if some coach comes in and wins 10 games a year for 10-20 years tradition could change that but we got to do it first.

longpig

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on September 11, 2017, 03:01:42 pm
Of course. 

One of the concerns with him was he had never built a program anywhere.  And his first try was with ours when we were at a low point.  The positive he has brought has been off the field as he knew what needed to be done.  Good foundation there.

Considering where his coaching stops have been, he's seen plenty of programs in some stage of being 'rebuilt', never at a place that 'reloaded'.  Apparently he was only taking notes on maintaining off the field success and not on the field success, or he has some serious mental issues and has forgotten as much as he remembers. 
Don't be scared, be smart.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: longpig on September 11, 2017, 03:29:05 pm
Considering where his coaching stops have been, he's seen plenty of programs in some stage of being 'rebuilt', never at a place that 'reloaded'.  Apparently he was only taking notes on maintaining off the field success and not on the field success, or he has some serious mental issues and has forgotten as much as he remembers.

Or he can't do it at Arkansas.  At least not in 5 years. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

311Hog

Quote from: GuvHog on September 11, 2017, 03:14:25 pm

Oh yeah CBB's resume gave me hope that he could do it no doubt, but as you know timing is everything, and sometimes things are not known.  Again this is why it is so hard for us, college football like America is all about the haves, if you do not have it god help you lol.

Btw i know we have top notch everything you can "physically build or buy" but you cannot produce population density, you cannot produce quality recruiting base, you cannot unseat a system that for decades has favored certain schools, certain regions, certain coaches.

At this point best chance is to get to work on that Saban clone.

longpig

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on September 11, 2017, 03:32:08 pm
Or he can't do it at Arkansas.  At least not in 5 years.

According to him, he is getting everything here that was lacking at his last job where he went to 3 Rose Bowls.  A good coach can and has built 10 win seasons in 3 years at a whole lot worse places than the UofA.  He'll make a good AD, Conference Commissioner or NCAA Administrator, assuming he is in control of his mental faculties.
Don't be scared, be smart.

Atlhogfan1

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on September 11, 2017, 03:25:06 pm
Will you idiots quit talking about defensive coaches for head coach at Arkansas!!!  Why do you make this mistake over and over again?  If we don't have a world beating offense we aren't much because we have NEVER had a world beating defense.  It's not going to happen HEAR THIS!!!  NEVER!

Now when we get the right coach he will bring a very strong offense and a decent enough defense to average 8-9 wins per year with a 10+ season ever 4 years or so.  Or we could get another Petrino(doubtful) and he might go 21-5.   However it's not going to happen with a defensive coach at Arkansas.

How often do you need to be told this?

Now if some coach comes in and wins 10 games a year for 10-20 years tradition could change that but we got to do it first.

Actually although Venables is a defensive guy he is at a program with a very dynamic offense.  He gets the importance of both.  He's not say a Kirby Smart that just sat on Nick Saban's knee and learned D D D.  He has seen what that attack can do.

If we were in the market for a coach and went the coordinator route I think the list should begin and end with Venables.  I can't think of any other coordinator hire that would have the cache.  The name recognition along that Florida Georgia Carolina recruiting line would be huge.

If he wants proven HC go G5 route with a proven guy.  Still a gamble but the right guy can do wonders.  Look at Jeff Brohm and Justin Fuente as two prime examples.  Always a risk when hiring but a proven track record helps. 
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on September 11, 2017, 03:48:52 pm
Actually although Venables is a defensive guy he is at a program with a very dynamic offense.  He gets the importance of both.  He's not say a Kirby Smart that just sat on Nick Saban's knee and learned D D D.  He has seen what that attack can do.

If we were in the market for a coach and went the coordinator route I think the list should begin and end with Venables.  I can't think of any other coordinator hire that would have the cache.  The name recognition along that Florida Georgia Carolina recruiting line would be huge.

If he wants proven HC go G5 route with a proven guy.  Still a gamble but the right guy can do wonders.  Look at Jeff Brohm and Justin Fuente as two prime examples.  Always a risk when hiring but a proven track record helps.

What's the connection between Brohm, Fuente and Venables?  Nothing, your talking ruby red apples and cherry tomatoes!

TebowHater

The only thing Jeff did wrong was the contract extension that made this buyout so insane today. At the time of hiring, CBB literally had the best resume of any coach we could have hired. It was a home run on paper.

Imaging any coach going to three Rose Bowls in a row and us being able to get him. Sure, there were extenuating circumstances that helped him immensely, but on paper, it was a home run hire.

The extension when he had won absolutely nothing was insane.

Pig in the Pokey

And he may be better than Urban. All I know is BV is as important to Clemson's success as Dabo is, if not more. He's also a great recruiter and is a defensive guru with a plan for stuffing spread teams. He will be a GREAT HC sometime very soon. I wish it would be here. But that's the whole point, isnt it. Even a star in waiting who loves our programs- the exact thing ARKANSAS needs to succeed- wants to be here, we CAN'T even hire him because of the buy-out. We can't even tell him "give us two years and we'll hire you", because either way, we owe Brett almost another 20 million./ JL is dumb af.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: TebowHater on September 11, 2017, 04:05:22 pm
The only thing Jeff did wrong was the contract extension that made this buyout so insane today. At the time of hiring, CBB literally had the best resume of any coach we could have hired. It was a home run on paper.

Imaging any coach going to three Rose Bowls in a row and us being able to get him. Sure, there were extenuating circumstances that helped him immensely, but on paper, it was a home run hire.

The extension when he had won absolutely nothing was insane.

The buyout was insane to do.

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on September 11, 2017, 04:07:15 pm
And he may be better than Urban. All I know is BV is as important to Clemson's success as Dabo is, if not more. He's also a great recruiter and is a defensive guru with a plan for stuffing spread teams. He will be a GREAT HC sometime very soon. I wish it would be here. But that's the whole point, isnt it. Even a star in waiting who loves our programs- the exact thing ARKANSAS needs to succeed- wants to be here, we CAN'T even hire him because of the buy-out. We can't even tell him "give us two years and we'll hire you", because either way, we owe Brett almost another 20 million./ JL is dumb af.

Clemson and OU outrecruit almost all of their opponents.  That isn't us.  He may would make a great head coach for us.  But it would be a much different situation for him.

And Clemson is also winning because of great skill position players including mobile, athletic qb's who can and will be used in the running game. 

TebowHater

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on September 11, 2017, 04:12:22 pm

The buyout was insane to do.

That's what I meant by extension. Extension + buyout being so high. Original contract was 3.2M/year for six years. No extension, could have him gone this year for peanuts (3.2M would have been his buyout for next year).

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: TebowHater on September 11, 2017, 04:14:30 pm
That's what I meant by extension. Extension + buyout being so high. Original contract was 3.2M/year for six years. No extension, could have him gone this year for peanuts (3.2M would have been his buyout for next year).

I'm always good with extending coaches.  If you don't want to extend then it is time to start the firing process.  But don't handcuff yourself. 

#1 STUNNA

Quote from: 311Hog on September 11, 2017, 02:10:29 pm
if he rows his current boat into success i could get on board with this.

He needs to row his boat to NWA... young.. full of fire... and can recruit

TebowHater

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on September 11, 2017, 04:18:30 pm
I'm always good with extending coaches.  If you don't want to extend then it is time to start the firing process.  But don't handcuff yourself.

I wouldn't have offered an extension after year 2 when year 1 was the worst season in our program's history but that's just me I guess.

tusksincolorado

Quote from: Hogs-n-Roses on September 11, 2017, 10:32:04 am
He s prolly the 2nd best D recruiter in the country though. Your right about a coordinator growing into a good HC though. Looks like Muschamp is improving. Jurys out on Oregeron(sp)

And what's his name at Georgia...
Screw it! I'm an old angry male, live with it!

tusksincolorado

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on September 11, 2017, 03:48:52 pm

FINALLY.....Brent Venables.....Rice!
Screw it! I'm an old angry male, live with it!

IronHog

Quote from: Oklahawg on September 11, 2017, 11:38:58 am
OU couldn't wait to run off Venables and hire Mike Stoops again. This, after Stoops crashed and burned as a HC at Arizona. Venables left for Clemson where the waters were chummed aggressively to woo top recruits.

The track record of coaches who succeed at UA is pretty narrow at this point. Pretty much have to align an "in-state recruiting class of the decade" with some character-deficient savant as HC.

I wouldn't trade one CBB assistant for any of Petrino's. Not sure Nutt had any for any measurable time that I like better. The real QB guru was Petrino, not Garrick McGee, of course. McGee is the one name that comes to mind.

UA messed up not hiring Charlie Strong......good man, good fit
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

IronHog

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on September 11, 2017, 03:15:30 pm
That coach had a few 5 star players. 

He had 4-5 star skill players and DTs.

Everything else was patchworked but in shape and well coached.
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

Arkansas Fan

Quote from: RazorbackAlways on September 11, 2017, 03:19:54 pm
Like Muschamp, Strong, and Smart? Lets consider whether its a wise decision or not. Star DCs dont seem to be making good HCs these days.

And how many hot shot OCs have lately? Muschamp seems to be getting South Carolina going, who cares about Strong, and Smart will get Georgia going big time IMO. It's too early to tell, though.

The fact is, whether it be a former HC or assistant, success is not guaranteed when hiring a new coach. It takes time to really see if it was a good hire or not.

A good start would be to see if the man could talk sensible and straight forward, had fire in his belly, refused to be denied.  If he has that he will likely be able to learn enough to be effective.  Most humans who have that  hold themsleves  to a higher standard and thats a very good start.  Earlier I believe I read that Venables has a drinking problem.  Is that fact of just baseless Hogville talk?  Venables has fire n the belly, doesn't have that far away look in his eyes and appears to like his players enough to root and scoot and get involved with them on the field.  Our coach seems to be afraid that folks around them might try and identify him with his team and that would be a no no.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: 12247 on September 11, 2017, 08:15:05 pm
A good start would be to see if the man could talk sensible and straight forward, had fire in his belly, refused to be denied.  If he has that he will likely be able to learn enough to be effective.  Most humans who have that  hold themsleves  to a higher standard and thats a very good start.  Earlier I believe I read that Venables has a drinking problem.  Is that fact of just baseless Hogville talk?  Venables has fire n the belly, doesn't have that far away look in his eyes and appears to like his players enough to root and scoot and get involved with them on the field.  Our coach seems to be afraid that folks around them might try and identify him with his team and that would be a no no.

Do you just copy and paste this darn?

GoHogs1091

Quote from: hobhog on September 11, 2017, 11:45:42 am
Whats his head coaching record again? I forget.

Venables actually has head coaching experience.  He was the Associate Head Coach at Oklahoma for a few years.

An aspect that needs to be remembered about Venables is that when Bob Stoops left Florida to take the Oklahoma Head Coach job, Stoops had just won a NC at Florida with Spurrier, and Stoops could have hired practically any defensive Coach across the nation to join him at OU.  Stoops though chose Venables to join him at OU.  That shows how highly Bob thinks of Venables' coaching ability.

There is a lot of games that Bob won at OU that he would have not won without Venables.

GoHogs1091

Quote from: Muskliketusk on September 11, 2017, 11:36:05 am
He's a drunk. That's the reason Kansas State won't hire him as there head ball coach either. Guys got a whole lotta demons, like every sorry sucker to go through Norman. Bunch a drunks and abusers.

A drunk???  Please provide a credible source that shows that he is a drunk.

Venables is too detail-oriented and too focused to be a drunk.  After Saban, he may be the 2nd best in the nation in regards to analyzing and breaking down game film. 

Also, a drunk wouldn't have the following results.

Venables has been a sole main DC from 2004 to present.  Here is the overall record of the teams during those years he has been a sole main DC.

146 wins    32 losses     

That is a 82% winning percentage. 

146 wins divided by 14 seasons  (this current 14th season is not a complete season, but 2 wins this season are a part of the 146 wins)   =   10.43 wins per season

32 losses divided by 13 seasons   (no losses have occurred this season, so the 32 losses were over 13 seasons)   =   2.46 losses per season

Regarding the Kansas State aspect, from what I have read is that supposedly Bill Snyder did not like how it went down with Venables leaving Kansas State, and that it caused some bad blood.  I don't know if that is actually true, but even if it is true the axiom that time heals all wounds probably applies.  Also, it is thought that Snyder wants his son to be his replacement, which probably explains why Kansas State hasn't hired Venables to be their Head Coach.

Also, the notion that Oklahoma ran off Venables is not correct.  While Venables was at the Atlanta airport waiting for a connecting flight to Clemson, Bob Stoops was on the phone with Venables trying to get him to stay at OU.

Venables initially had decided to stay at OU, but he later changed his mind.  The opportunity to continue to be a sole main DC and a $400,000 raise (was making $400,000 at OU, and was going to get $800,000 at Clemson) was too much for Venables to pass up.

kp72204

Quote from: Oklahawg on September 11, 2017, 11:38:58 am

The track record of coaches who succeed at UA is pretty narrow at this point. Pretty much have to align an "in-state recruiting class of the decade" with some character-deficient savant as HC.

This!!!! I agree 100%. I read there closing down and subsidizing a lot of the high schools back in Little Rock. Have to hope it improves the talent level, but best case is still a few years away.