Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The buyout; Jerry Jones

Started by Hogopolis, September 11, 2017, 09:03:16 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Muskliketusk

We have a great head coach and he ain't going nowhere no matter what kinda people start throwing around Monopoly money that ain't there's.
Our father who art in Heaven, Razorbacks be thy name. For the games we've won and battles done, on the road as it is at home. Give us this day our weekly win and forgive us our turnovers as we defeat those that play against us. Lead us not into devastation, but deliver us a title. For thine is the program, the pride and the Hogs, Amen.

-prayer I say every gameday.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: East TN HAWG on September 11, 2017, 11:39:06 am
Fans complain and want someone else to spend their money on buyouts.  Oh this is chump change for Waltons, Tysons, Lindseys, Stephens of the world, but they never put up a few thousand of their own money for the buyout. 

Fans just think that these boosters are frivolous with their money.  1st generation entrepreneurs have money for a reason, and they do not spend on these type causes.  They might spend a few thousand for skyboxes etc, but they can write that off as a business expense (entertainment.)

Were stuck with what we have until the buyout becomes less than the revenue lost associated with losing games and the risk of change.  Its that simple.   
which is MESSED UP. Why should the taxpayer have to foot the bill for some rich bastage to get the club seats FOR FREE while we pay out the arse to sit on bench seats!?  :puke: Rich bloodsuckers are such welfare babies.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

dhizzle

Quote from: Hogwild on September 11, 2017, 10:20:11 am
The difference is Iowa gave their coach his extension after going 12-0 (8-0), Long gave his coach that buyout after he went 7-6 (2-6)

I understand that, I just don't want Jeff long to be put in that position. One of these years coach B might actually pull off a ten win season and as fans we will be stuck in the moment and want Jeff to give another extension. Most likely the Hogs would fall back to 6 or 7 wins for a few years.

AirWarren

Quote from: East TN HAWG on September 11, 2017, 11:39:06 am
Fans complain and want someone else to spend their money on buyouts.  Oh this is chump change for Waltons, Tysons, Lindseys, Stephens of the world, but they never put up a few thousand of their own money for the buyout. 

Fans just think that these boosters are frivolous with their money.  1st generation entrepreneurs have money for a reason, and they do not spend on these type causes.  They might spend a few thousand for skyboxes etc, but they can write that off as a business expense (entertainment.)

Were stuck with what we have until the buyout becomes less than the revenue lost associated with losing games and the risk of change.  Its that simple.   

Spoken like someone that knows how a business works.

Most of the idiots clamoring about big name dropping money. Probably ride on the back of a trash truck. Not that it's anything wrong with that. But have no idea how business works. People with money don't spend on stupid crap. Like a football coach.

He is here until he leaves or the buyout decreases. Might as well accept it as a state.

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: dhizzle on September 11, 2017, 09:55:59 am
This whole thing has a feel of Iowa football. Their coach is being a paid a lot of money and every 4 or 5 years he has a good season 10 or 11 wins. Then for 4 or 5 years he wins 5 to 7 games. All it takes is one good season then the coach gets and an extension.

Thought the same thing. You'd think the Kirk Ferentz deal would be a warning, not an example.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

AirWarren

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on September 11, 2017, 11:51:51 am
Thought the same thing. You'd think the Kirk Ferentz deal would be a warning, not an example.

The Iowa fans love their team though. The are a rabid fan base.

Athog

Quote from: Hogopolis on September 11, 2017, 09:03:16 am
$15.4 million is petty cash to Jerry.  He will be in his box in two weeks to watch first hand the embarrassment that is Razorback Football.   I'm hoping he has his check book on him and makes a donation to the foundation!!!  There are enough very wealthy former hogs a $15.4 million buyout should not be a problem.  Jerry, Jim Lindsey.  Maybe Tyson chicken and the Walmart family will chip in.  Bill Clinton even.   Point being, if things don't change very soon not even that buyout will save coach B's job. 

It is quite obvious that you do not know any of these people.

HogFansReunited

Do you know why Jerry has as much money as he has? He makes good investments on things that will make a return. He isn't going to pay to buy out Coach B.
My girl told me to whisper something sexy in her ear...so I leaned in and said....Dominic Fletcher.

Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pm
Remember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!

Member #3568

onebadrubi

Quote from: PLHawg on September 11, 2017, 09:49:08 am
Pretty much anyone would be better than BB right now.

reactions like this lead to even worse decision making. 

Athog

Quote from: Sho Nuff on September 11, 2017, 10:31:37 am
Exactly

You can tell why they have it and the idiots on here do not.
They don't panic and knee jerk reaction.

Dark Helmet Hog

The thought that Jerry Jones or any other big booster will right a check to cover the buyout is laughable. The only hope Bret leaves early is that he sees the writing on the wall and seeks employment elsewhere before he is fired. Just plan on him being here next year.

SemperFi

Is there a performance clause in his contract? Surely there is something in his contract that states if you suck then you will get fired with no compensation. Otherwise, who in the hell signs off on a contract that binds you regardless if the guy is a winner or a total scrub?
Some people wonder all their lives if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem. - Ronald Reagan

ricepig

Quote from: SemperFi on September 11, 2017, 12:20:13 pm
Is there a performance clause in his contract? Surely there is something in his contract that states if you suck then you will get fired with no compensation. Otherwise, who in the hell signs off on a contract that binds you regardless if the guy is a winner or a total scrub?

You can't be serious, but probably are in your mind. Find me a coach's contract that is based on minimum amount of wins. Here, I'll provide you with a link that had all of them.

https://hkm.com/football/

Sivad

$15.4 million is petty cash to Jerry. I'm hoping he has his check book on him and makes a donation to the foundation!!! There are enough very wealthy former hogs a $15.4 million buyout should not be a problem.  Jerry, Jim Lindsey.  Maybe Tyson chicken and the Walmart family will chip in. 
Bill Clinton even.
Yeah, the Clinton Foundation will drop in a bundle.
And it's obscene to be requesting Jerry to give millions to such a "cause" after all the money he has given and continues to give to support the Razorbacks.

Beaverfever

We might as well leave BB around to babysit the team while we develop a plan to take the program in a different direction.  The decision that needs to be made right now is if Jeff Long is the guy to oversee the change. 

factchecker

Jerry has given millions to the Razorbacks already.

Of course, nobody on hogville cares about the student athlete academic center because "we dont carez about skool..... bunch of meditocity loosers!"

Instead of spending someone else's money..... get you lazy arse up and raise the money yourself.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

10thPlanet

If I was Jerry, and I am not. I wouldn't pay for anything unless I got rid of the person who cost me 15.4M.

cosmodrum

We have boosters that have a lot of money, and NONE of them are going to pony up for the buyout. Sorry.

The Waltons will, but to Mizzou, even though half the town of Fayetteville has their name on it.

We don't have a T. Boone Pickens or Phil Knight. We just don't.
Go away, batin'

factchecker

Quote from: cosmodrum on September 11, 2017, 04:33:35 pm
We have boosters that have a lot of money, and NONE of them are going to pony up for the buyout. Sorry.

The Waltons will, but to Mizzou, even though half the town of Fayetteville has their name on it.

We don't have a T. Boone Pickens or Phil Knight. We just don't.

How much has the Walton's given to Mizzou?  I'd like to really know because I haven't heard of any huge donations to their side.

I do know that the Walton's just gave my alma mater $120 million to start up an art school:

https://www.fayettevilleflyer.com/2017/08/23/walton-group-donates-120-million-for-ua-school-of-art/
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

EastexHawg

Quote from: mizzouman on September 11, 2017, 09:45:32 am
With all this buyout talk, who ya gonna get that's better than CBB now?

Who are going to get who can do better than 14-26 against P5 opponents and 10-22 in conference?

Well, considering every coach in our history has been better than that I would say we might be able to pull it off. 

ricepig

Quote from: factchecker on September 11, 2017, 04:40:24 pm
How much has the Walton's given to Mizzou?  I'd like to really know because I haven't heard of any huge donations to their side.

I do know that the Walton's just gave my alma mater $120 million to start up an art school:

https://www.fayettevilleflyer.com/2017/08/23/walton-group-donates-120-million-for-ua-school-of-art/

And $350m total for the Walton Business college.

HawgPilot

Quote from: razorcash2 on September 11, 2017, 10:08:10 am
Bill Clinton? Do wha?

He aint got that kinda money.

You don't follow politics much, huh??

He probably swindled that much in the first hours of fundraising for Haiti.

factchecker

Quote from: ricepig on September 11, 2017, 04:45:26 pm
And $350m total for the Walton Business college.

And didn't they help a little with our basketball arena?  What is it called?

BUD WALTON ARENA

But yeah, I guess he was right..... those damn Walton's don't help a bit.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

hawkhog

Quote from: AP85 on September 11, 2017, 09:57:05 am
That's because we are Iowa. Both programs are similar. Bad recruiting base. And surrounded by slow white folks.

Although comparing Iowa and Arkansas last 15 years and their best 5 seasons favors Iowa (not that it really matters)

Iowa
2002 11-2 Orange bowl
2009 11-3 Orange bowl
2015 12-2 Rose bowl
2004 10-2 Capital 1
2003 10-3 Outback

Arkansas
2006 10-4 Capital 1
2011 11-2 Cotton
2010 10-3 Sugar
2003 9-4   Independence
2002 9-5   Music City

PorkSoda

Quote from: RazorBassin on September 11, 2017, 09:16:50 am
15.4 million reasons Bielema will be coaching again next year and 7.9 Mil reasons he may be coaching the year after that.  I hope not, but I'm afraid we may be stuck until 2020....
it is the reality. 

which is fine.  knee jerk reactions wont help the program.  Long has 1-3 years to find and get the right person.  he needs to make a good hire.  CBBs job right now is to keep the program running in good order so that the next guy has a solid foundation to build on.  we hired CBB to rebuild what had become a toxic mess of a program.  He hasn't won a lot of games, but he has built a solid program in good academic standing.   He needs to maintain that until we can find someone who know what to do with it.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

ricepig

Quote from: factchecker on September 11, 2017, 04:50:20 pm

BUD WALTON ARENA

Bud's daughters give money to Mizzou, which is good for them.

PorkSoda

Quote from: AP85 on September 11, 2017, 11:46:13 am
People with money don't spend on stupid crap. Like a football coach.

might be why they have  money in the first place...
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

aloha_kid

$15.4 million is petty cash to Jerry.  He will be in his box in two weeks to watch first hand the embarrassment that is Razorback Football.   I'm hoping he has his check book on him and makes a donation to the foundation!!!  There are enough very wealthy former hogs a $15.4 million buyout should not be a problem.  Jerry, Jim Lindsey.  Maybe Tyson chicken and the Walmart family will chip in.  Bill Clinton even.   Point being, if things don't change very soon not even that buyout will save coach B's job. 

Funny how someone else's money is easy to spend.

Mike Irwin

Back when it was predicted on this board that Johnny Tyson was going to buy Hootie Dale out for $7 million Tyson said to me, "It's amazing to me what people without big money think people with big money will spend their money on."

He went on to assure me that while he never thought Nutt should have been hired in the first place he had no desire to get involved in any removal attempt. "That's the AD's job," he said, "and I'm not the AD and don't want to be."

RebHog

Quote from: Muskliketusk on September 11, 2017, 11:42:21 am
We have a great head coach and he ain't going nowhere no matter what kinda people start throwing around Monopoly money that ain't there's.

OH please produce some stats to back this statement for his time at Arkansas. I have one for you he is about to join danny ford as the only coaches in a 6 year stretch an Arkansas team hasn't won 9 games in those 6 years. Your turn  :D :D :D ??? ???

cosmodrum

Quote from: factchecker on September 11, 2017, 04:50:20 pm

BUD WALTON ARENA

Yes, they pay for things that the UA will put they're name on. They aren't buying us a football coach.
Go away, batin'

ricepig

Quote from: cosmodrum on September 11, 2017, 05:55:55 pm
Yes, they pay for things that the UA will put they're name on. They aren't buying us a football coach.

We could have the Endowed Wal-Mart Head Coach Nick Saban......I think Stanford has done such with some of their coaching staff.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: hobhog on September 11, 2017, 09:14:14 am
Maybe likes coach B and isn't ready to panic after 2 games.

Besides- he didn't get rich doing stupid things with his money.

Hey Hogopolis............What part of this quote do you not understand.

If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: mizzouman on September 11, 2017, 09:45:32 am
With all this buyout talk, who ya gonna get that's better than CBB now?

Maybe we can get a third coach from Columbia......................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

ChitownHawg

Bernie is that you? Vermont doesn't have a football team?  ;)

Hint. Rich people don't get rich by saying $15 mil is nothing.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: AP85 on September 11, 2017, 09:53:04 am
Incorrect.

There are 525,032 people in northwest Arkansas that care. They can pony it up.

The rest of us in central and south Arkansas are content with watching that program up there burn to the ground since y'all got it under control up there.

Really? ALL my relatives and friends that live in those areas you mention and didn't go to the game were watching on TV.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: factchecker on September 11, 2017, 04:40:24 pm

Had not heard that. That's great.

rzrbackramsfan

JErry Jones has done so much to help the U of A.  If he wants to help we'd love it, but we shouldn't ask. 

longpig

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on September 11, 2017, 11:43:19 am
which is MESSED UP. Why should the taxpayer have to foot the bill for some rich bastage to get the club seats FOR FREE while we pay out the arse to sit on bench seats!?  :puke: Rich bloodsuckers are such welfare babies.

Us peasants can deduct the cost of tickets and all other game going expenses too, cuz.  Don't have to be behind glass to do it.
Don't be scared, be smart.

TebowHater

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on September 11, 2017, 11:43:19 am

Zero tax-payer dollars are spent on Arkansas athletics. In fact, Arkansas Athletics pays the U of A - and by extension - taxpayers.

What are you talking about?

wachhog

Quote from: dhizzle on September 11, 2017, 10:05:33 am
You're right Coach B resume was a pretty damn good before coming to Arkansas. It was a great hire at the time, but it doesn't seem to be working. Most likely will not find someone else with the same kind of resume. However, for Arkansas to win I believe you need a coach that has a run and gun offense. That is the only offense I've seen at Arkansas that wins 10 games season. I personally do not like that kind of offense, but you have to what you have to do to win.
It was not a great hire at the time, if you looked at Arkansas' recruiting challenges and the kinds of teams we played. We had to have a coach and a scheme that allowed us to do less with more. BB was not that coach. I know nothing about football, but even I knew that when his hiring was announced and said so here at the time,

Hog N Bama

Incorrect.

The rest of us in central and south Arkansas are content with watching that program up there burn to the ground since y'all got it under control up there.
We already knew how you feel based on your attendance at that high school stadium there in LR

I hope I don't appear too knee jerk but please wake up.  BB has had 4 full seasons to make this team appear on the rise, well coached, good attitude, come to play, etc, etc, etc.  He hasn't done any of that, period.  What makes anyone believe it will eventually happen.  This man just hasn't got what it takes to put respectable on the field for us, period.  I bet many think I am crazy and you might be correct, but I believe we could improve this team immediately if we moved Enos up to active HC and asked BB to please just stay home and draw his pay.  BB just can't lead this team.  Asking him for the good of the team to just keep getting paid but don't touch anything may be rash but I believe it would be an improvement.  This is an 8 win team starting this season with just an attitude adjustment.  After losing to TCU, we still got 7 wins if we can get BB out of the way. 

hobhog

Quote from: Mike Irwin on September 11, 2017, 05:15:33 pm
Back when it was predicted on this board that Johnny Tyson was going to buy Hootie Dale out for $7 million Tyson said to me, "It's amazing to me what people without big money think people with big money will spend their money on."

He went on to assure me that while he never thought Nutt should have been hired in the first place he had no desire to get involved in any removal attempt. "That's the AD's job," he said, "and I'm not the AD and don't want to be."

Seems I also heard back then that universities didn't want boosters having direct control over hirings/firings. Donate all they want for facilities and so forth, but don't try to buy coaching influence. I think it's a wise policy.

hobhog

Quote from: 12247 on September 11, 2017, 09:36:22 pm
I hope I don't appear too knee jerk but please wake up.  BB has had 4 full seasons to make this team appear on the rise, well coached, good attitude, come to play, etc, etc, etc.  He hasn't done any of that, period.  What makes anyone believe it will eventually happen.  This man just hasn't got what it takes to put respectable on the field for us, period.  I bet many think I am crazy and you might be correct, but I believe we could improve this team immediately if we moved Enos up to active HC and asked BB to please just stay home and draw his pay.  BB just can't lead this team.  Asking him for the good of the team to just keep getting paid but don't touch anything may be rash but I believe it would be an improvement.  This is an 8 win team starting this season with just an attitude adjustment.  After losing to TCU, we still got 7 wins if we can get BB out of the way.

Most  ridiculous post I've read since Saturday, and that's saying something. Thank gawd you didn't knee jerk.

RedRock

We don't need another buyout.  Frankly, it's embarrassing. If any change is made, it should start at the top, Jeff Long.  Both basketball and football programs are trending down.  Long appears to be more consumed with padding his resume with board appointments and recognition. 

The buyout starts with Long.

Augustus

This is an utterly ridiculous thread, on so many levels.

The people suggesting this would have better luck instead trying to organize 60K or so people to stop showing up at Hogs Games. That's more likely to happen before Jerry Jones drops $15 Million on some coach's buyout. And it's also more likely to produce an actual result.

When a rich person drops that kind of money, it's for a building with their family's name on it (Jerry Jones did donate the equivalent of $10 Million, 2 years ago, for that). It's not to be able to fire some coach that can't get it done.

hobhog

Quote from: Augustus on September 11, 2017, 10:08:39 pm
This is an utterly ridiculous thread, on so many levels.

The people suggesting this would have better luck instead trying to organize 60K or so people to stop showing up at Hogs Games. That's more likely to happen before Jerry Jones drops $15 Million on some coach's buyout. And it's also more likely to produce an actual result.

When a rich person drops that kind of money, it's for a building with their family's name on it (Jerry Jones did donate the equivalent of $10 Million, 2 years ago, for that). It's not to be able to fire some coach that can't get it done.

There already has been threads from people who don't go to games in the first place telling people to " boycott" the Hogs for the betterment of the program. Just another thread from the mob....

factchecker

Quote from: hobhog on September 11, 2017, 10:24:20 pm
There already has been threads from people who don't go to games in the first place telling people to " boycott" the Hogs for the betterment of the program. Just another thread from the mob....

Bielema is in deep trouble.  We all are tired of losing and want a change.  However, it is pretty funny hearing non-contributors tell us how to spend our money.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

CFB_Fanatic

Incorrect.

LO effin L

that was funny