Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

HDN Arkansas Expectation Theory

Started by 87017, September 14, 2017, 03:10:42 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Tusks

KH was 32-13 in 4 seasons at Clemson, a .707 winning percentage and resigned because he isn't liked enough.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

bphi11ips

Quote from: tusked on September 14, 2017, 05:07:43 pm
The treatment KH got at Clemson was much more what everyday fans at most all programs are like.  They really didn't like his offense.

Didn't realize that but not surprised.  Most fans don't like run-heavy offenses, even when they work.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: jkstock04 on September 14, 2017, 03:17:05 pm
Tough to disagree with much of that...especially when you lay the numbers out. Some would argue Nutt was a lame duck coach and "imagine how much better we would be with a good or great coach." I for sure said that at the time.

Petrino proved it could get better in a shorter time period but we will never know for sure what he would've done with 10 years because he was only here 4.

To the OP, ya I would gladly take those numbers in a 10 year period as we sit here today. Under Bielema doesn't look like we will come close.

I guess we could all fly a banner for the aTm that say's "We're Sorry Houston.!!" It would get on TV because of the hurricane, but I know HDN would understand and forgive us so we can win again... [/sarcasm]
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

TebowHater

Quote from: DeltaBoy on September 14, 2017, 03:26:42 pm
Dang that looks pretty good compared to the past 5 years.

No kidding. That is actually unbelievable when we look back on it. 5 years in and we would kill for a 9 win season, much less 8. Nutt had 8+ win seasons the majority of his time here!

phadedhawg

Nutt and Petrino both won some games but they each reached their limits in their time here.  Nutt could upset the #1 team in the country but USCw murdered him.  Petrino could win the ones he was supposed to and then get murdered by LSU.  He got us to #3 for about 30 minutes and for some people those 30 minutes never ended.  They both had flaws and limitations. 

If we could combine the two and someone eliminate the philandering, texting reporters before bowl games, taking other people's finances on ill fated motorcycle rides, we might finally have our perfect coach!

hawgon

Quote from: phadedhawg on September 14, 2017, 05:32:50 pm
Nutt and Petrino both won some games but they each reached their limits in their time here.  Nutt could upset the #1 team in the country but USCw murdered him.  Petrino could win the ones he was supposed to and then get murdered by LSU.  He got us to #3 for about 30 minutes and for some people those 30 minutes never ended.  They both had flaws and limitations. 

If we could combine the two and someone eliminate the philandering, texting reporters before bowl games, taking other people's finances on ill fated motorcycle rides, we might finally have our perfect coach!

Why do you say that?  Petrino was 2-2 against LSU.  He got "murdered" by them exactly once one day after a funeral for a player on the team.  And of course, he made Les and his team quit in Little Rock the year before.

Wildhog

Quote from: hawgon on September 14, 2017, 05:41:38 pm
Why do you say that?  Petrino was 2-2 against LSU.  He got "murdered" by them exactly once one day after a funeral for a player on the team.  And of course, he made Les and his team quit in Little Rock the year before.

Yeah, I don't understand the Bama/LSU argument when Petrino's record against them was exactly the same as Bielema's.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Wildhog on September 14, 2017, 03:27:12 pm
I'll help you out a little bit and point out that several of those years were with an 11 game schedule.

I totaled up his regular season record and it was 74-40, for a 65% winning percentage.

A 65% winning percentage now is 7.8 wins/regular season.

Oh snap! You just killed the Huggers love fest.  ;D
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

hawgon

Quote from: Wildhog on September 14, 2017, 05:46:20 pm
Yeah, I don't understand the Bama/LSU argument when Petrino's record against them was exactly the same as Bielema's.

Yeah, and we can take Bama out of the equation for pretty much everybody.  Does Malzahn have a win against Saban?  If so, he is the only coach in the SEC with a win against Saban.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: wildturkey8 on September 14, 2017, 03:36:25 pm
Bert needs to hand out baseball bats and bring da wood to the Aggies.

Just get their piss hot or remember we didn't come here to paint.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Athog

Quote from: hogsanity on September 14, 2017, 03:34:10 pm
What is funny is the fans wanted both HDn and HAtfield gone, yet both won a ton of games.

Yeah that what I was thinking! Hogville led the fire chant!

phadedhawg

Quote from: hawgon on September 14, 2017, 05:41:38 pm

I'm referring to the 2nd quarter vs LSU when we were leading and ranked #3.  People point to it like it was a high water mark for the program, and in a sense it was...just not a mark that lasted for very long. 

Did not realize funerals were a stat that was kept in that era but I learn things every day.  Has Arkansas been a historically strong post-funeral team?  Did Petrino perform worse than other coaches post funerals. 

What was Nutt's funeral record?

Wildhog

Quote from: hawgon on September 14, 2017, 05:54:42 pm
Yeah, and we can take Bama out of the equation for pretty much everybody.  Does Malzahn have a win against Saban?  If so, he is the only coach in the SEC with a win against Saban.

Yeah, the kick-6 in 2013.  It took damn near a literal miracle.
1909/1964/1965/1977

phadedhawg

Quote from: Wildhog on September 14, 2017, 05:57:00 pm
Yeah, the kick-6 in 2013.  It took damn near a literal miracle.

A miracle by any estimation!  hahahaha

phadedhawg

Quote from: Wildhog on September 14, 2017, 05:46:20 pm

Yet one coach is missed and the other one is about to ran out of town.  Maybe they were both lacking or maybe they are both decent coaches?  Or maybe it just doesn't really matter...neither were going to win an SEC Championship

hawgon

Quote from: phadedhawg on September 14, 2017, 05:56:19 pm
I'm referring to the 2nd quarter vs LSU when we were leading and ranked #3.  People point to it like it was a high water mark for the program, and in a sense it was...just not a mark that lasted for very long. 

Did not realize funerals were a stat that was kept in that era but I learn things every day.  Has Arkansas been a historically strong post-funeral team?  Did Petrino perform worse than other coaches post funerals. 

If you won't admit that the team might have been distracted, you have an agenda.  And yes, a final ranking of #5 was a recent high water mark.

Wildhog

Quote from: phadedhawg on September 14, 2017, 05:59:33 pm
Yet one coach is missed and the other one is about to ran out of town.  Maybe they were both lacking or maybe they are both decent coaches?  Or maybe it just doesn't really matter...neither were going to win an SEC Championship

Not another "it doesn't matter how many you win if you don't win a title" argument, please.
1909/1964/1965/1977

davglo35

The biggest difference between the Nutt teams and Bielema teams is defense. Bielema has had one defense (2014) that was really good. Nutt had some salty defenses and he did under achieve on offense. Nutt had the best offensive players in the nation with Dmac,Jones and Hillis. Nutt wanted to win but his ego got in his way.
We do not need Nutt back but we do need a complete type of coach. A coach that is motivated and knows how to motivate.  The current team appears unmotivated and so does Bielema.

lakecityhog

I really hope that no one ever makes such ** remarks after a funeral for one of your family members! You sir are a loser to the bone! I for one will never forget that LSU players made some similar ** remarks during that game, but you go ahead and enjoy yourself.

Hogwild

Quote from: hawgon on September 14, 2017, 05:54:42 pm

Malzahn and Sumlin, but how longer are they going to be in the SEC

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: bphi11ips on September 14, 2017, 03:52:52 pm
Not that many fans wanted Hatfield gone.  His skin was too thin to hear a few boos.  And those who wanted him gone weren't unhappy with his record.  They didn't like what they perceived to be his offense.

A large majority of fans wanted Nutt gone, and it had nothing to do with his record, which was no where nearly as good as Hatfield's.

You know this, so stop making stuff up.

If Kenny would have hobnobbed a little better with some people that matter then he might have lasted a little longer despite the offensive scheme. That, not being so stubborn about keeping some assistants that weren't so great, winning a couple of bowl games and not preaching all the time.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

ChitownHawg

Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLine™ on September 14, 2017, 05:27:51 pm
I guess we could all fly a banner for the aTm that say's "We're Sorry Houston.!!" It would get on TV because of the hurricane, but I know HDN would understand and forgive us so we can win again... [/sarcasm]

When the Huggers feel emblazoned enough to scurry from under the woodworks you know our fan base has gone over the edge. Make me sick to think some are foolish enough to believe that jacka$$ is worth bringing back.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: davglo35 on September 14, 2017, 06:06:42 pm
The biggest difference between the Nutt teams and Bielema teams is defense. Bielema has had one defense (2014) that was really good. Nutt had some salty defenses and he did under achieve on offense. Nutt had the best offensive players in the nation with Dmac,Jones and Hillis. Nutt wanted to win but his ego got in his way.
We do not need Nutt back but we do need a complete type of coach. A coach that is motivated and knows how to motivate.  The current team appears unmotivated and so does Bielema.

And CBP's defenses sucked big time. CBP had a passing game because of Mallett and three guys from Crossett. He had no running game that he could sustain.

Do we really think our State can produce the triplettes and Adams every three years? Or Mallett or Wilson?

How anyone thinks a team that has no running game or defense could win in today's West is beyond me.

hoghearted

Quote from: Calling All Hogs on September 14, 2017, 03:58:59 pm
I am old enough to remember 2007 when 8 wins was not considered an amazingly good season.

Amazing, isn't it? This is what happens after a long drought...lowered expectations.
It really is this simple. Unchecked government power leads to corruption, and lack of accountability for it is drastically eroding confidence in our institutions.    aristotle