Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Media members, question for you

Started by LRrazorback, September 10, 2017, 05:06:14 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

LRrazorback

I would like as many members of the media to comment on this question.

Is it more important for you to work with/cover a football coach and staff that allows access, gives interviews and sound bites frequently, comments on injuries, player development, etc. but doesn't win at a high level (CBB) or a coach who is a jerk, allows very little access, keeps everything close to the vest, and doesn't comment as much (cbp) but, wins at a high level? 

I understand some of you may separate fandom and work. Just curious what you guys think.

fakenews

The ones who are on this board wont respond. The ones who arent would answer the second one. Guaranntee

ImHogginIt

Quote from: LRrazorback on September 10, 2017, 05:06:14 pm

Is it more important for you to work with/cover a football coach and staff that allows access, gives interviews and sound bites frequently, comments on injuries, player development, etc. but doesn't win at a high level (CBB) or a coach who is a jerk, allows very little access, keeps everything close to the vest, and doesn't comment as much (cbp) but, wins at a high level? 

I understand some of you may separate fandom and work. Just curious what you guys think.

If the search feature was working you can find posts by Irwin saying he was treated well by Petrino and had no issues doing his job working with him.

HotlantaHog

I don't cover the Razorbacks but am a media member.

The answer to the OP question is the media don't get to choose which of the two types of coaches will lead Arkansas, and they are mainly interested in doing a good job for their readers or viewers. It doesn't occur to you to prefer one over the other. You cover whoever you are assigned to cover.

hobhog

Good grief. Now it s the media that sucks. Two weeks of this.....

ShadowHawg

Quote from: HotlantaHog on September 10, 2017, 08:12:23 pm

The answer to the OP question is the media don't get to choose which of the two types of coaches will lead Arkansas, and they are mainly interested in doing a good job for their readers or viewers. It doesn't occur to you to prefer one over the other. You cover whoever you are assigned to cover.

I can honestly say that the Arkansas Razorback media types are not interested in their audience, minus a few like Irwin. The rest are very interested in being cronies and call the fans terrorists or otherwise present them in a negative light until.............

The coach whose shoes they just got done licking the soles of leaves or gets fired. Then that person becomes the devil who always deserved to be fired.

Maybe just my experience though, but I find it hard to believe that if we had a true dedicated media here that we still wouldn't know the details of Nutt/Broyles/Mustain/Malzahn a decade later.

The OTR

To me it's more important to win games.

jswineberiaskirk

Quote from: ShadowHawg on September 10, 2017, 08:31:33 pm
I can honestly say that the Arkansas Razorback media types are not interested in their audience, minus a few like Irwin. The rest are very interested in being cronies and call the fans terrorists or otherwise present them in a negative light until.............

The coach whose shoes they just got done licking the soles of leaves or gets fired. Then that person becomes the devil who always deserved to be fired.

Maybe just my experience though, but I find it hard to believe that if we had a true dedicated media here that we still wouldn't know the details of Nutt/Broyles/Mustain/Malzahn a decade later.
+1 if I could

to the op i'll take #2 alex

JaketheSnake

Loaded questions.  All roads lead back to Bobby.

CNN:  President Trump, would you rather punch a baby or stomp a puppy? 
POTUS:  Well, the baby would just have a bruise rather than kill an animal.
Headline: Trump vows to punch babies 

hoghevn

AMAN!!  HEAR YE; HEAR YE!!!!
Einstein - "The difference between genius and stupdity; genius has limits."

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: HotlantaHog on September 10, 2017, 08:12:23 pm

I disagree, most media members are first and foremost concerned about keeping access no matter what they entails.  Second, they are concerned about moving up in their profession whatever that entails.  A few come along like Mike Irwin who might be true fans of the team but in the end they are still interested in maintaining a long term relationship with the program whatever that entails.  The interest of the "fan" is not that important and it show in the seemly disdain and low regard they hold fan opinion.  Them expressing that opinion as their own would in the end threaten their job so why would they? 

As for Mike in particular I have always seen him as more of a human interest reporter than a sports reporter.  Maybe more recruiter that X's and O's.

fakenews

Media wouldnt be fired for speaking there mind so why dont they?

LZH

Are you talking about the media, or hogville? Because I can't tell the difference.

fakenews

I thought media was not supossed to be fans and they were supossed to tell us what was going on good or bad. See it sometimes but not very much

ShadowHawg

Quote from: LZH on September 10, 2017, 08:57:47 pm
Are you talking about the media, or hogville? Because I can't tell the difference.

Good point.

The media should be more professional than run of the mill fan board members.

PonderinHog

Quote from: LZH on September 10, 2017, 08:57:47 pm
Only Hogville members with 40,000+ posts are considered media members.  Delta is editor in chief.

Hogvillage Idiot

Quote from: JaketheSnake on September 10, 2017, 08:36:45 pm
Loaded questions.  All roads lead back to Bobby.

CNN:  President Trump, would you rather punch a baby or stomp a puppy? 
POTUS:  Well, the baby would just have a bruise rather than kill an animal.
Headline: Trump vows to punch babies
I laughed out loud at this.
"Winning is like shaving - do it every day or you wind up looking like a bum."

Jack Kemp

swineology

Media have been busy since about 5 pm yesterday trying to deal with all the NegaHogs and fall out from Bert's ineptness.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: swineology on September 10, 2017, 09:08:11 pm
Media have been busy since about 5 pm yesterday trying to deal with all the NegaHogs and fall out from Bert's ineptness.

Why are they having to deal with anything just report what is.

axharbor

I'm very anxious to hear the radio shows tomorrow. Seems to me they always love our coaches and take up for them until they are fired. At the point they are fired the media can no longer say anything positive about them. Petrino was a bad guy but won. Never heard many in the media say anything negative about him until he was gone and then all they want to talk about is how he ruined the program. I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure we were to the point of fighting for a top 10 spot consistently under Petrino. Seems to me that's not a program in ruins. He gets fired, same roster and Long brings in JLS to take over for the season. Stupid move. Once the losing started, "Petrino couldn't recruit, left the program in ruins, etc..."  Well he left the program ranked #5 in the nation. True, he certainly wasn't bringing in top rated recruits but he brought in what he needed, best he could get, and coached them up. Give those players to an extremely lesser coach and you have the JLS disaster. Give them to an average coach and you have the dumpster fire of CBB. Until CBP was gone though I'm POSITIVE we were all having a blast winning football games. Let's just tell it like it is media, Bobby was a dick that could coach players up. JLS was a clown and ANOTHER lousy JLS hire. BB is an average coach, at best, that sadly doesn't seem to develop his recruits (whether they have more stars or not) and puts a lousy product on the field. Seems each year further removed from CBP's lousy recruits we put a worse product on the field. Let's hear the media jump all over BB and be the true voice of the fans and not come up with excuses.

I'm not sure how they could make excuses up at this point though...  I wonder how great it is Being Bret Bielema right now. This is when I'd like to see him be followed around and joked around with. Let's see how we can make things look great currently. My guess is you can't and I am not sure any of the local media will try anymore...

fakenews

They will keep trying ax. Bielema isnt fired tomorrow so they will defend him until he is.

Hogvillage Idiot

I'm not sure why some are so concerned about the media.

Jack Kemp

fakenews

Because they should of told us. Thats there job. I dont want sunshine pumping up my butt. If my team stinks tell me they stink. They never did. They told us this team was going to win 8 games at least. They told us this team was going to win 9 games last year. Two years ago Bo told us they were going to win 10 games. I am tired of it

Hogvillage Idiot

Quote from: fakenews on September 10, 2017, 09:56:26 pm
Because they should of told us. Thats there job. I dont want sunshine pumping up my butt. If my team stinks tell me they stink. They never did. They told us this team was going to win 8 games at least. They told us this team was going to win 9 games last year. Two years ago Bo told us they were going to win 10 games. I am tired of it
They don't know much more about how the team will fair in competition than the rest of us.  In fact, many fans were calling for the same outcome this year.  People get this kind of stuff wrong all the time.  Even teams that have been picked to be down have sometimes been surprises and actually won a lot of games.
The media has nothing to do with how poorly the team is.  Might as well kick the cat for it.

Jack Kemp

fakenews

True but when is the last time they said anything negative about them at all? Seems like never to me and it has been a bunch of negative since 2015.

I am sorry I am just frustrated

swineology

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on September 10, 2017, 09:11:18 pm
Why are they having to deal with anything just report what is.

It's called show prep

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: swineology on September 10, 2017, 10:12:32 pm
It's called show prep

Show prep...got it!  So what time is Ben Bob from the trailer park on?

RedRock

PonderinHog

But first, here's a word from our sponsor, Petit Jean Meats.

fakenews

I dont think of radio people as media so much as fans. Bo is the only radio person in fayetteville who is close to the team. He is more fan I know but he should still tell us real stuff. Bazzel is close with people on team but he is in little rock. I am more angry at TV and newspaper people

gdumont

Quote from: LRrazorback on September 10, 2017, 05:06:14 pm

By no means am I an expert like Mike. I'm nowhere near as seasoned as he is and I'm ok with that.

Growing up in Arkansas, I have to separate my fandom from my work so I can do my job without bias. You want the best of both worlds. Covering a team that wins is a lot more fun than one that loses. But you also want a program that is open and allows you to tell fans what is going on. Because I grew up a Razorback fan, I want the team to win, even if that means I can't get full access, but I'd also rather be given access so I can use my position to tell others what's going on and spotlight positive things within the program.

Some of you might think I'm just trying to straddle the fence, and I get that, but I'm just trying to be open and honest.

hobhog

Quote from: fakenews on September 10, 2017, 10:25:41 pm
I dont think of radio people as media so much as fans. Bo is the only radio person in fayetteville who is close to the team. He is more fan I know but he should still tell us real stuff. Bazzel is close with people on team but he is in little rock. I am more angry at TV and newspaper people

Just because they don't gat all emotional and spew crazy shite?

fakenews

I guess more radio is entertainment to me and not news. Tv and newspapers are news and sometimes opinions. That is what is annoying. newspapers are supposed to write opinion sometimes and almost every time I see it those opinions are positive. They are pumping sunshine. There job is to tell us real stuff

That is what I dont get gdumont. You said spotlight the positive things in the program. That is great but what about the negative ones. Those are the more important things

hobhog

Quote from: fakenews on September 10, 2017, 11:27:50 pm
I guess more radio is entertainment to me and not news. Tv and newspapers are news and sometimes opinions. That is what is annoying. newspapers are supposed to write opinion sometimes and almost every time I see it those opinions are positive. They are pumping sunshine. There job is to tell us real stuff

That is what I dont get gdumont. You said spotlight the positive things in the program. That is great but what about the negative ones. Those are the more important things

I just want to read what happened. Quotes and statistics. If you want emotional reactions and negativity you are in the right place.

fakenews

I watched what happened. If you are around the team you should be able to give me more than what happened. I dont need to hear 'arkansas struggled today' I can figure that much out on my own.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: fakenews on September 10, 2017, 11:27:50 pm

When Ched Carpenter, The Ugly Uncle, was here doing the show on 1190 The Fan, he told it like it was.  I think he's like most of us, and he probably saw things as a little more positive as a lifelong Hog fan, but in general...if he saw something that stunk, he reported it.  I liked that perspective. 

As sad as it is to think, a big part of why we get our hopes up is because we see our offense against our defense in practice, and let's face it...as of right now, it's stink versus stink.  Naturally, that's going to show up when we play against teams that have more talent and are better coached.  Then everyone wakes up and says, "Oh man...we're not very good."   

I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: fakenews on September 10, 2017, 09:56:26 pm

They didn't know. Why do you believe they did?
[CENSORED]!

The Great Hambino

I know the details, but I didn't learn them from the media.

fakenews

They should of known Biggus is my point. There job to see something say something.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on September 10, 2017, 11:57:28 pm
When Ched Carpenter, The Ugly Uncle, was here doing the show on 1190 The Fan, he told it like it was.  I think he's like most of us, and he probably saw things as a little more positive as a lifelong Hog fan, but in general...if he saw something that stunk, he reported it.  I liked that perspective. 

As sad as it is to think, a big part of why we get our hopes up is because we see our offense against our defense in practice, and let's face it...as of right now, it's stink versus stink.  Naturally, that's going to show up when we play against teams that have more talent and are better coached.  Then everyone wakes up and says, "Oh man...we're not very good."   

To most when someone in the media "tells it like it was" and you already had that same feelings then they are great reporters. if you disagree then they aren't. That is why it doesn't matter to most what they report as long as what they report is the same belief as the reader/listener. I know some media and disagree with them from time to time yet I still want them to report objectively as much as possible without showing any fan bias tendencies. The problem occurs when fans think the media should act like a fan all the time. When acting like a fan then their emotions might get in the way of their objectivity.   
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

fakenews

Exactly. I learned last night the one person I thought was telling it like it was is hated on this board. That is wierd to me

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on September 11, 2017, 06:34:06 am
To most when someone in the media "tells it like it was" and you already had that same feelings then they are great reporters. if you disagree then they aren't. That is why it doesn't matter to most what they report as long as what they report is the same belief as the reader/listener. I know some media and disagree with them from time to time yet I still want them to report objectively as much as possible without showing any fan bias tendencies. The problem occurs when fans think the media should act like a fan all the time. When acting like a fan then their emotions might get in the way of their objectivity.

Hmm...I never looked at it that way.  I don't want people to agree with me to support what I think.  When Ched would have practice reports, he would say what he saw, and didn't fear repercussions.  He saw stink...he reported it.   

I think what we see a lot of times is that the media is far too overly positive.  Expectations are set at one level, and then when they fall short, people are shocked at why everyone at practice looked faster than Bo Jackson, hit harder than Steve Atwater, and the OL and DL were looking vastly improved.

Then we play the first test, and eggs are being laid all over the field, and we look like Ned and the First Reader. 

Again...I've always felt this way.  The UA has never, and will never, get the best talent.  We have to have upper classmen playing above their "star level" when they hit campus for us to compete.  Last year it was seasoned WR's, and we're already seeing that losing them means.  I keep hoping beyond hope that one of these days, we'll field a bunch of returning Jr's and Sr's and we'll catch lightning in a bottle, but then we end up ALMOST great, but suck at something just enough to fail.  It's the story of being a Hog fan.   ;D 
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

Hogs49ers

September 14, 2017, 02:52:22 am #42 Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 03:11:24 am by Hogs49ers
This is a very interesting topic, and the more I think about it the more I cannot recall hardly any articles that I have read that will straight up call out the negatives without any sugar coating or bias (maybe I am mistaken and please share some examples if so).  I do not think this is really good for the program or the fans, because it sets us up to get blindsided by getting our hopes up and then something like last weekend happens and everyone is furious and wants the entire staff fired immediately haha.  I feel like if we were reading more accurate reports, we probably would not have had as high of expectations and therefore not of been as upset as a fanbase after the loss last weekend. 

Obviously based on my screenname, I am also a diehard 49ers fan and I also follow a 49ers forum regularly and read basically every single article that is posted about the 49ers.  One thing I appreciate and have noticed is that the 49ers media always seem to call it like it is and will call out a coach, player, or position group when they are not getting the job done (Maybe it is different bc they are paid professionals vs college athletes).  See examples below:

A media member calls out HC Kyle Shanahan at a press conference and straight up asks him why does he continue to run outside zone when it is clearly not working, and then comes back in the 2nd article after the PC and did some "fact checking"  on Shanahan's response and straight up calls the HC wrong and explains why:

http://49ers.pressdemocrat.com/fact-checking-kyle-shanahans-assessment-49ers-outside-zone-run-game/
http://49ers.pressdemocrat.com/49ers-film-review-outside-zone-run-game-isnt-working/

Media members also grades every position group after every game and the highest grade he gave out was a "C" to the special teams and gave HC Shanahan a "D-" and said the following - "That was the best Kyle Shanahan could do?  The supposed offensive genius who prepared all offseason for the Panthers and had faced them four times the past two seasons couldn't score more than three freaking points?  I picked the 49ers to win this game because I thought Shanahan would have the coaching edge over the Panthers....."

http://49ers.pressdemocrat.com/49ers-3-panthers-23-grades/

I just cannot recall any of our media members ever being that harsh towards anyone in our program, and maybe I am wrong.  If I am right, what is the reason?  Is it maybe because our fans would lose their minds and could not handle a harsh critic?  Or is maybe that it is just a completely different ballgame in regards to reporting about paid professionals in the NFL versus amateur NCAA athletes?  Or am I just wrong and have only been reading the happy reports?? 

To be clear, I do think we have some wonderful media members that do an outstanding job and I am by no means calling anyone out, but was more curious than anything.  IMO, I do not really care whether the reporting is positive or negative, just that it is accurate with no bias and I think that goes for most people.  The media has a bit of responsibility to hold the coaches and program accountable and for me personally, I would like to see a few more of the harder questions asked in interviews and PCs.  I am sorry, definitely did not mean to write a book here, I do not know what happened haha.
SCREW Vandy!

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: Hogs49ers on September 14, 2017, 02:52:22 am
This is a very interesting topic, and the more I think about it the more I cannot recall hardly any articles that I have read that will straight up call out the negatives without any sugar coating or bias (maybe I am mistaken and please share some examples if so).  I do not think this is really good for the program or the fans, because it sets us up to get blindsided by getting our hopes up and then something like last weekend happens and everyone is furious and wants the entire staff fired immediately haha.  I feel like if we were reading more accurate reports, we probably would not have had as high of expectations and therefore not of been as upset as a fanbase after the loss last weekend. 

Obviously based on my screenname, I am also a diehard 49ers fan and I also follow a 49ers forum regularly and read basically every single article that is posted about the 49ers.  One thing I appreciate and have noticed is that the 49ers media always seem to call it like it is and will call out a coach, player, or position group when they are not getting the job done (Maybe it is different bc they are paid professionals vs college athletes).  See examples below:

A media member calls out HC Kyle Shanahan at a press conference and straight up asks him why does he continue to run outside zone when it is clearly not working, and then comes back in the 2nd article after the PC and did some "fact checking"  on Shanahan's response and straight up calls the HC wrong and explains why:

http://49ers.pressdemocrat.com/fact-checking-kyle-shanahans-assessment-49ers-outside-zone-run-game/
http://49ers.pressdemocrat.com/49ers-film-review-outside-zone-run-game-isnt-working/

Media members also grades every position group after every game and the highest grade he gave out was a "C" to the special teams and gave HC Shanahan a "D-" and said the following - "That was the best Kyle Shanahan could do?  The supposed offensive genius who prepared all offseason for the Panthers and had faced them four times the past two seasons couldn't score more than three freaking points?  I picked the 49ers to win this game because I thought Shanahan would have the coaching edge over the Panthers....."

http://49ers.pressdemocrat.com/49ers-3-panthers-23-grades/

I just cannot recall any of our media members ever being that harsh towards anyone in our program, and maybe I am wrong.  If I am right, what is the reason?  Is it maybe because our fans would lose their minds and could not handle a harsh critic?  Or is maybe that it is just a completely different ballgame in regards to reporting about paid professionals in the NFL versus amateur NCAA athletes?  Or am I just wrong and have only been reading the happy reports?? 

To be clear, I do think we have some wonderful media members that do an outstanding job and I am by no means calling anyone out, but was more curious than anything.  IMO, I do not really care whether the reporting is positive or negative, just that it is accurate with no bias and I think that goes for most people.  The media has a bit of responsibility to hold the coaches and program accountable and for me personally, I would like to see a few more of the harder questions asked in interviews and PCs.  I am sorry, definitely did not mean to write a book here, I do not know what happened haha.

Great post.  I don't know the answer, but I think a lot of it likely stems from that being how things were for so many decades.  Dating back to Orville Henry, I think the UA almost had their bluff in on the media with the thought that if they weren't positive, then they might run into access problems etc.  It's freedom of speech until it's not flattering, and at that point...they'll find someone who is. 

But...I also think a part of it is that Arkansans...are just inherently friendly and nice people.  I've heard that my whole life from visitors and people I've run into out of state.  We're about as far as you can get from the big city attitudes from NY and CA when it comes to that apect.  There's probably some inherent desire to look for the positive, be respectful, and not create drama that isn't there. 

Also...I'll say this.  These are college kids.  We don't know what happened.  Maybe they came out, simply got rattled and nervous when a few things went sideways, and they just couldn't get past it.  That happens...and while we're quick to jump to conclusions that we're seeing the same thing over and over again, maybe this is a different scenario and we will see the talent shine through in the upcoming games.  That's what I'm hoping for...optimistically.  :-) 

Hogs49ers

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on September 14, 2017, 04:46:02 pm
Great post.  I don't know the answer, but I think a lot of it likely stems from that being how things were for so many decades.  Dating back to Orville Henry, I think the UA almost had their bluff in on the media with the thought that if they weren't positive, then they might run into access problems etc.  It's freedom of speech until it's not flattering, and at that point...they'll find someone who is. 

But...I also think a part of it is that Arkansans...are just inherently friendly and nice people.  I've heard that my whole life from visitors and people I've run into out of state.  We're about as far as you can get from the big city attitudes from NY and CA when it comes to that apect.  There's probably some inherent desire to look for the positive, be respectful, and not create drama that isn't there. 

Also...I'll say this.  These are college kids.  We don't know what happened.  Maybe they came out, simply got rattled and nervous when a few things went sideways, and they just couldn't get past it.  That happens...and while we're quick to jump to conclusions that we're seeing the same thing over and over again, maybe this is a different scenario and we will see the talent shine through in the upcoming games.  That's what I'm hoping for...optimistically.  :-)

Good theories, thanks.
SCREW Vandy!