Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Born in 1975

Started by Pork Twain, September 09, 2017, 10:24:26 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Pork Twain

All I want, at least one time in my life, is to cheer for a team that at least has a chance to win it all.  After this travesty vs TCU, I have lost faith in CBB, aka the hefty HDN.  This is year five, all of his players and coaches and this was an embarrassment.  Is after this season the optimum time to make a move?  I was never on the Gruden bandwagon, but would Chip Kelly be a viable option?  We can pay him very well, we might be one of the best Power 5 jobs open and we might be the best SEC job open.  I am not saying we are tops in the Power 5 or close to tops in the SEC but just in possible openings.  He showed he could get it done at Oregon and what better place to prove he can do it anywhere than Arkansas.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

clew

c/o 1974 (child of)
I was on the Hill during Ford's mediocre career (save an abberation in 1995 where we actually "won" the West). The football highlights of my life that I remember are few and they are mostly early on.  Mostly, it has been a lot of early pre-season hope dashed by reality. Each year, I think I have a little less hope. My 9 year old doesn't understand why I keep watching when "they always lose."  At least we won most of the time when I was a kid even if we lost the bowl games. This sucks.
Pure as the dawn

RazorbackAlways

Turminator

Thanks to the Absurd buyout, Chip Kelly will probably be at ATM before we could have any chance to hire him

HamSammich

Quote from: Surfing8 on September 09, 2017, 11:56:45 pm
You had the ability to cheer for a team with a chance to win it all a few years back... maybe you took that year off.

If you're still wanting to cheer for a team like that, then it's about time you woke up and recognized we've had a massive (figuratively and literally) fraud at the helm of this program for awhile now.

Instead you've taken it upon yourself on countless occasions to attack posters expressing less than complete faith in Bielema... myself included.

So - how long before you reverse course and start chastising anyone ready for change in leadership?

...and I go back further than you.

Boom! Truth bombs all over the place. And this one was well deserved. Now all the homers that use to bash us have come around I have no sympathy for them.

JOKERHOG

You had the ability to cheer for a team with a chance to win it all a few years back... maybe you took that year off.

If you're still wanting to cheer for a team like that, then it's about time you woke up and recognized we've had a massive (figuratively and literally) fraud at the helm of this program for awhile now.

Instead you've taken it upon yourself on countless occasions to attack posters expressing less than complete faith in Bielema... myself included.

So - how long before you reverse course and start chastising anyone ready for change in leadership?

BAM!
BRINGING BALANCE AND PERSPECTIVE TO HOGVILLE

"You're too damn illiterate to have a college education.  And I'm serious"  - Hawgar the Horrible 1/19/2017

5 most hated: 1Auburn 2Auburn 3Auburn 4A&M 5OU

orvillesghost

If you are waiting to see Arkansas win a NC, you are likely to die disappointed.

Even in 2010 and 2011, with the possible exception of LSU in 2010, when we played a really good team we got beat.

kodiakisland

Quote from: Pork Twain on September 09, 2017, 10:24:26 pm
All I want, at least one time in my life, is to cheer for a team that at least has a chance to win it all.  After this travesty vs TCU, I have lost faith in CBB, aka the hefty HDN.  This is year five, all of his players and coaches and this was an embarrassment.  Is after this season the optimum time to make a move?  I was never on the Gruden bandwagon, but would Chip Kelly be a viable option?  We can pay him very well, we might be one of the best Power 5 jobs open and we might be the best SEC job open.  I am not saying we are tops in the Power 5 or close to tops in the SEC but just in possible openings.  He showed he could get it done at Oregon and what better place to prove he can do it anywhere than Arkansas.

Lots of good seasons since '75, but the last time I felt we really had a chance was the year of the Stoernover.
If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

MDGoHawgs

Also born in 1975 and it's just not going to happen with BB. To get real recruits we will need a fast-paced "gimmick" offense and an A-list mastermind. Chip Kelly fits the bill. Fire Rex Ryan light, make the DC the interim and get Kelly for 2018. A couple great recruiting classes and we'll be there by 2019-2020.

MDGoHawgs

Quote from: orvillesghost on September 10, 2017, 12:04:41 am
If you are waiting to see Arkansas win a NC, you are likely to die disappointed.

Even in 2010 and 2011, with the possible exception of LSU in 2010, when we played a really good team we got beat.

Truth. When is the last time we won a bona fide "big game" and I'm not talking upsets or epic OT contests?

Pork Twain

Arkansas has not had a team with a chance to win it all since I have been old enough to know what football is.

I haven't attacked you, I have attacked your constant negativity.  It gets old.  Every coach deserves a chance to get all of his own players if he is making progress.  Up till now CBB was, but these are all his players and coaches.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

Pork Twain

Quote from: kodiakisland on September 10, 2017, 12:05:23 am
Lots of good seasons since '75, but the last time I felt we really had a chance was the year of the Stoernover.
I was not a big Arkansas fan till till after the age 12, so I did not get to witness those older teams.  I agree that Stoernover was the closest but the way we finished out that year, it really wasn't either.

HamSammich

Quote from: Pork Twain on September 10, 2017, 12:30:44 am
Arkansas has not had a team with a chance to win it all since I have been old enough to know what football is.

I haven't attacked you, I have attacked your constant negativity.  It gets old.  Every coach deserves a chance to get all of his own players if he is making progress.  Up till now CBB was, but these are all his players and coaches.

No!!!   Next year when he isn't straddled with an over cerebral allen that can't decide where to put the ball will be his team. QBs are football. Next year I salivate thinking about a true cbb team. Am I Cbb homer? LOL HARDLY. But I'm fair and the man needs his own qb playing.

kodiakisland

Quote from: Pork Twain on September 10, 2017, 12:35:29 am
  I was not a big Arkansas fan till till after the age 12, so I did not get to witness those older teams.  I agree that Stoernover was the closest but the way we finished out that year, it really wasn't either.

It was until that game.  That loss sucked the life out of everyone hoping for a return to the good times of the 60's.  It's the only game I can remember the feeling of losing.  I was still numb for the next week, and I think half the team and state were as well.  The rest of the season didn't matter.
If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

Pork Twain

Quote from: kodiakisland on September 10, 2017, 12:40:27 am
It was until that game.  That loss sucked the life out of everyone hoping for a return to the good times of the 60's.  It's the only game I can remember the feeling of losing.  I was still numb for the next week, and I think half the team and state were as well.  The rest of the season didn't matter.
Michigan owned us.  Still agree that was the closest team during my fandom.

presidenthog

Quote from: Surfing8 on September 10, 2017, 12:50:32 am
Then apparently you're still not old enough to know what football is.  Sucks for you.

Constant negativity. 
I was as big a hog fan as anyone today hoping the team would stomp a mudhole in TCU. 

I enjoy springtime in the baseball forum because win or lose it's clear we have a leader committed to putting a competitive program on the field.  Again - whether they win or lose.
Try me over there... quite the opposite of negative.

If you think CBB was making progress before this debacle then you obviously haven't paid attention, or you're just dim.  Either is fine... but NO... you go out of your way to be a dick to other posters you don't agree with.

So F U and your 'just once' hopes.

The truth is last season I wanted him fired for the way we got soft.

Some have hated him since he got here (I actually hated the hire, but he won me over in the press conference. He is likeable) the truth is i like the guy. I have tried being patient. Really I have. There are no excuses for what happened today. None. Not one. I sat and watched an abortion. We have regressed on the offensive line completely. We peaked in year 3. He should have won 11 games that year. Instead we lost to toledo, tech, blew a win vs A&M and a late game coaching fiasco by trying to kick a fg when your qb is putting on a GOAT sec qb performance. I had forgiven those mistakes. in hopes he could put something together magically.

He seems to have portions of the team be good, while others are bad. His whole career here. Its probably a product of his recruiting.

Pork Twain

September 10, 2017, 08:48:13 am #16 Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 12:19:11 am by Pork Twain
Quote from: Surfing8 on September 10, 2017, 12:50:32 am
Then apparently you're still not old enough to know what football is.  Sucks for you.

Constant negativity. 
I was as big a hog fan as anyone today hoping the team would stomp a mudhole in TCU. 

I enjoy springtime in the baseball forum because win or lose it's clear we have a leader committed to putting a competitive program on the field.  Again - whether they win or lose.
Try me over there... quite the opposite of negative.

If you think CBB was making progress before this debacle then you obviously haven't paid attention, or you're just dim.  Either is fine... but NO... you go out of your way to be a dick to other posters you don't agree with.

So F U and your 'just once' hopes.

Oh I know what football is and sadly, I have seen far too little of it at the UofA.  That would be one complete team, offense and defense.  Like was posted above, HDN had the closet to that.

Yawn...

Pork Twain

After going through a cooling off period, here is to hoping Bert can turn this ship around, because that buyout has us in a bind.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: Pork Twain on September 11, 2017, 12:20:10 am
After going through a cooling off period, here is to hoping Bert can turn this ship around, because that buyout has us in a bind.

We gotta hope BB thinks he's young enough that he wants to continue coaching, and he leaves on his own.  If he stays here as the ship continues to sink, it's going to hurt his stock, and I think his ego is too big to hang around, get canned, and take the buyout.  However, he's probably already put enough away for his kid's kids, so maybe I'm wrong on that and he will hang on until he's sent packing.   

It's just SO HARD being a hog fan.  I actually like BB, but I've seen enough now to have given up on his style working here.  Vanilla wins when you have superior players.  When you don't, you have to have a banana split style.  We need banana split style at the UA, because we are NEVER going to get the best players.

I'll admit that I thought that he could bring in good enough talent that after 4 years, we would see the maturation of players and a competitive product on the field with 8 wins regularly, and the occasional 10 or more when we had some more elite talent in skill positions.  My faith in that took a HUGE hit yesterday, because I saw chaos, confusion, and simply...a lack of desire.   

I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

ShadowHawg

When we went to LSU in 2011 we were playing for a shot at the BCS in the last game of our season. Got ahead 14-0.

Only the most ridiculous Petrino haters can lay claim to that not being a chance.

Pork Twain

I honestly thought he would have us there this year.  Oh well.

Pork Twain

Quote from: ShadowHawg on September 11, 2017, 12:43:56 am
When we went to LSU in 2011 we were playing for a shot at the BCS in the last game of our season. Got ahead 14-0.

Only the most ridiculous Petrino haters can lay claim to that not being a chance.

After we lost to Bama in the 4th game of the season, our chances of playing in the BCS NC game were gone.  LSU just solidified that.

Pork Twain

Quote from: Surfing8 on September 11, 2017, 12:52:56 am
Plenty of those around here. 

Wait for the OP to blame Petrino for Bert's dumbassery next.
I blame BP for the mess he left.  All remnants of that mess are gone now and this is 100% CBB's team.  No more excuses.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: Pork Twain on September 11, 2017, 01:03:28 am
After we lost to Bama in the 4th game of the season, our chances of playing in the BCS NC game were gone.  LSU just solidified that.

Wrong about Bama loss. We were #3 in the BCS heading into Baton Rouge.

presidenthog

Quote from: Pork Twain on September 11, 2017, 01:03:28 am

We were #3  lsu was #1. We beat lsu. We either go to #1 or #2. Probably split decision. If we are #1 we play in the sec championship game vs a SC team we destroyed. If we are #2 we back into the game like bama and get a rematch that we ultimately lose. I would have taken that win and winning the sec over being #2 and just backing in. If We win the sec. There is no longer a big 6 in the sec as there would now be 7 teams that have won the sec. We would have been elevated as a program to a level we have never been. I do not miss Bobby, but I really do miss his success.

buldozer

^^^ Boom! Goes the dynamite!^^^

Pork Twain

Quote from: presidenthog on September 11, 2017, 01:14:11 am
We were #3  lsu was #1. We beat lsu. We either go to #1 or #2. Probably split decision. If we are #1 we play in the sec championship game vs a SC team we destroyed. If we are #2 we back into the game like bama and get a rematch that we ultimately lose. I would have taken that win and winning the sec over being #2 and just backing in. If We win the sec. There is no longer a big 6 in the sec as there would now be 7 teams that have won the sec. We would have been elevated as a program to a level we have never been. I do not miss Bobby, but I really do miss his success.
I say that because even if Arkansas beats LSU, it is still behind Alabama in the conference.  I think it is very hard to jump over a team you have lost to.

Me too...  I will say, without a doubt, football has never been as fun in my life as it was with Bobby at the helm and I wish that motorcycle had never wrecked.  I never thought we would win it all with him though, because like Richt at Georgia, we always seemed to lose 1-2 games a year that we could not afford to and  certain teams had our number.

presidenthog

Quote from: Pork Twain on September 11, 2017, 03:43:29 am
I say that because even if Arkansas beats LSU, it is still behind Alabama in the conference.  I think it is very hard to jump over a team you have lost to.

Me too...  I will say, without a doubt, football has never been as fun in my life as it was with Bobby at the helm and I wish that motorcycle had never wrecked.  I never thought we would win it all with him though, because like Richt at Georgia, we always seemed to lose 1-2 games a year that we could not afford to and  certain teams had our number.

In 2014 we would have had an a real defense with him. Idk what the o line would have looked like, but the defense would have probably still had guys like spaight(juco who came in during 2013 but was from arkansas) flowers, and philon. With a young wise who probably would have played more with a coach who didn't start people based on gpa. No Henry though as he was not going to play for bobby.

BigSexy

I second that emotion my friend! I was born in 1975 as well. I loved the Quinn Grovey teams, the goodtimes with HD, & Bobby was just an amazing coach IMO. Cantankerous as hell, but he's coaching a violent, violent sport. I have said since the day CBB was hired that this was not gonna work. I tried a few times to give him a chance, then he just goes full buffoon and I'm hit with the sad reality once again. If you know anything about personality types & manipulative people the infamous "love letter" to JL should have been a red flag. Did Jeff ever really consider another candidate? Or did he know damn, good, and well all along that he was going to hire Bert? I suspect that Bert identifed Jeff Long as an easy mark if you will. I think Bert was sick of Alvarez running the football team from his AD office & saw an opportunity to get a raise, show the old man up, etc. Unfortunately all the warnings that we got from the Wisky fans came to fruition. Every GD one them folks. I don't expect us to be National Champs or even top 5 every year but I do expect us to play Razorback Football 🏈. We haven't always been the most talented but we were RESPECTED nationally as a team that would hit you, a team that would make the most out of the talent that it got, &  a team that would fight like Razorbacks! These Big Ten guys have effed our program up. It's a GD sh*t show & has been for 5 yrs! Nuttin but love y'all. Brighter 🔆 days are ahead my friends ✌
\'94 Purple Dog

PorkSoda

um yeah we have.  we didn't, but we have had teams in the mix late in the season.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: Pork Twain on September 11, 2017, 01:04:33 am
I blame BP for the mess he left.  All remnants of that mess are gone now and this is 100% CBB's team.  No more excuses.
You need to blame the jakov that fired him. There was absolutely no reason to take that drastic of a step. But Jeffy turned on the water machine around his eyelids and went to work. They say that the day Buddy Holly, The Big Bopper and Ricthie Valens died in the icey corn fields of Clear Lake Iowa the music died. Well the day our holier than thou Athletic Director became bigger than Razorback athletics and fired Bobby Petrino because he didn't come forth with details of an affair, was the day Razorback Football died. Book that !
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

PorkSoda

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on September 11, 2017, 02:10:29 pm
You need to blame the jakov that fired him. There was absolutely no reason to take that drastic of a step. But Jeffy turned on the water machine around his eyelids and went to work. They say that the day Buddy Holly, The Big Bopper and Ricthie Valens died in the icey corn fields of Clear Lake Iowa the music died. Well the day our holier than thou Athletic Director became bigger than Razorback athletics and fired Bobby Petrino because he didn't come forth with details of an affair, was the day Razorback Football died. Book that !
right or wrong is a matter of opinion, but Long chose this path.
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

PorkRinds

Quote from: Turminator on September 09, 2017, 11:45:32 pm
Thanks to the Absurd buyout, Chip Kelly will probably be at ATM before we could have any chance to hire him

Chip Kelley isn't taking a job here. Not ever.

Wildhog

Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: PorkRinds on September 11, 2017, 02:15:21 pm
exactly this ^^^
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

PorkSoda

Quote from: PorkRinds on September 11, 2017, 02:15:21 pm
Maybe we can get Kevin Kelley

PLHawg

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on September 11, 2017, 02:10:29 pm

As much as I agree with some of what you say, i think it's somewhat a moot point because BP would no longer be coaching here.  If he had kept the program at the same trajectory that it was going he would have been lured away for greener pastures.  If the motorcycle incident hadn't happened I think he would have stayed, at most, a couple of more years.

Polecat

I predicted a 31-21 loss in the TCU prediction thread and got skewered. Folks on this board called me dumb, a liar and that I was living in the Twilight Zone.
I love the Hogs, but even a tiny bit of objectivity following the FAMU game should have revealed that this team wouldn't beat TCU.

My fear now is that the huge buyout and Long's pride combined with his affinity for Bret could eliminate the possibility of a coaching change at the end of the year
Arkansas born and raised. 1999 UA alum

EastexHawg

Alabama was #2 in the conference.  LSU was 13-0.  They beat Bama in the regular season and won the SECCG, yet Alabama got to the NCG and won.  That's how it would have worked (getting there, not necessarily winning) if we as #3 had beaten #1 ranked LSU.

If not for Scam Newton we would have also won the SEC West the year before.  I have to think we would have destroyed South Carolina in the SECCG (we had already blasted them in Columbia earlier that season) and beaten Oregon in the NCG. 

We were close, just not close enough.

Calling All Hogs

Quote from: Turminator on September 09, 2017, 11:45:32 pm
If I'm Chip Kelly the Arkansas job would be top on my list. Where else do you have a AD willing to give you a five to six year pass with massive buyout protection. Negotiating with Jeff Long would be a sports agent's dream. The problem is Long won't fire CBB in time to get CK.

Fellers, getting old isn't fun.  But one of the benefits it does have if you are a Hog fan is remembering when we had a fighting chance against any team we faced, anywhere, anytime.  Just Tee it up boys.  You may end up ahead on the scoreboard come end of the game, but you will remember those gangtackling, fast footed, sure tackling little bastards on defense hammering you all game long.  You will remember knowing if we set up for a fieldgoal, it was money.  You will remember the rabid fans and those damn hoghats and that special golfcart running around in the way.  You will remember that power I formation with fast little scatbacks and sometimes a big ole boy pounding it up inside and the offtackle runs where it seemed the chains never stopped moving. 

You could go into other states where the folks would ask you where you were from and you would say Arkansas and they would bring up the Hogs, not you.  And most of the time they would brag for you and you could sort of timidly agree.  There were very few states you could go to where your Hogs weren't better than the State University those fans loved to cheer on.  Yep, you had bragging rights but you were kind and generous with praise about their local team.  Hell it was almost like if a Hog fan said your team was pretty good, you believed it, because you knew Hog fans knew quality as they had plenty.  That may be something us old coggers got that some of you will never have and that, my friends, is a shame.  And we didn't have to cheat to get there.  We did have to have real coaches who were dedicated to putting a winner on the field.  We had coaches back then that Kids wanted to come play for to learn football from playing to coaching to managing.  We didn't know we had any disadvantages in recruiting because we had few, if any.  Players will go where there are winners that play  a game that will get them to the next level or teach them to become great coaches or maybe even managers at a high level.  There is no telling how many coaches at all levels came from those glory days.  And managers and owners.  Broyles had a family tree so big it took awhile to walk around it.  And yeah, he had folks that got mad at him too.  Even though they actually learned a lot from the old man. 

Due to the times changing, the UofA management changing and the conference changing those days are likely to never return.  But we should have ample money to run a .500 ballclub forever if football lasts that long.

Polecat

Quote from: 12247 on September 11, 2017, 02:45:25 pm
Fellers, getting old isn't fun.  But one of the benefits it does have if you are a Hog fan is remembering when we had a fighting chance against any team we faced, anywhere, anytime.  Just Tee it up boys.  You may end up ahead on the scoreboard come end of the game, but you will remember those gangtackling, fast footed, sure tackling little bastards on defense hammering you all game long.  You will remember knowing if we set up for a fieldgoal, it was money.  You will remember the rabid fans and those damn hoghats and that special golfcart running around in the way.  You will remember that power I formation with fast little scatbacks and sometimes a big ole boy pounding it up inside and the offtackle runs where it seemed the chains never stopped moving. 

You could go into other states where the folks would ask you where you were from and you would say Arkansas and they would bring up the Hogs, not you.  And most of the time they would brag for you and you could sort of timidly agree.  There were very few states you could go to where your Hogs weren't better than the State University those fans loved to cheer on.  Yep, you had bragging rights but you were kind and generous with praise about their local team.  Hell it was almost like if a Hog fan said your team was pretty good, you believed it, because you knew Hog fans knew quality as they had plenty.  That may be something us old coggers got that some of you will never have and that, my friends, is a shame.  And we didn't have to cheat to get there.  We did have to have real coaches who were dedicated to putting a winner on the field.  We had coaches back then that Kids wanted to come play for to learn football from playing to coaching to managing.  We didn't know we had any disadvantages in recruiting because we had few, if any.  Players will go where there are winners that play  a game that will get them to the next level or teach them to become great coaches or maybe even managers at a high level.  There is no telling how many coaches at all levels came from those glory days.  And managers and owners.  Broyles had a family tree so big it took awhile to walk around it.  And yeah, he had folks that got mad at him too.  Even though they actually learned a lot from the old man. 

Due to the times changing, the UofA management changing and the conference changing those days are likely to never return.  But we should have ample money to run a .500 ballclub forever if football lasts that long.

Gold
Arkansas born and raised. 1999 UA alum

When I learned BB was our new coach, I almost cried.  OH hell no was my response.  I didn't believe he could utilize his style and win much here.  We were going to get the 2nd and 3rd tier players and they would have to just overpower many teams with 1st tier players.  Not gonna work, period.

All that said, I never knew he couldn't coach a lick, had no idea how to manage attitude and expectations on a team and just appears to not give a damn.  He slicked old Jeffy but Jeffy was ripe to be slicked.  His second major real decision failed bigtime in hiring John L.  I don't give him credit for having the brains to hire Petrino, that one was forced on him.  His first major decision was firing Petrino.  BB may be #1 in getting the most money from a University  for the least amount of energy offered.  We are going to end up paying about 1 million per win with this idiot.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: 12247 on September 11, 2017, 03:00:17 pm
When I learned BB was our new coach, I almost cried.  OH hell no was my response.  I didn't believe he could utilize his style and win much here.  We were going to get the 2nd and 3rd tier players and they would have to just overpower many teams with 1st tier players.  Not gonna work, period.

All that said, I never knew he couldn't coach a lick, had no idea how to manage attitude and expectations on a team and just appears to not give a damn.  He slicked old Jeffy but Jeffy was ripe to be slicked.  His second major real decision failed bigtime in hiring John L.  I don't give him credit for having the brains to hire Petrino, that one was forced on him.  His first major decision was firing Petrino.  BB may be #1 in getting the most money from a University  for the least amount of energy offered.  We are going to end up paying about 1 million per win with this idiot.

Curious.  Up there in your first paragraph, just before you tore into Jeff Long, you stated that BB was going to take 2nd and 3rd tier players and force them to beat up on 1st tier players.  Paraphrased. 

It's almost iron clad in today's CFB landscape that if you can't recruit consistently in the top 10, you aren't going to win a NC.  If you're conceding that the UA is always going to have 2nd and 3rd tier players, then what is your expectation level?  What coach can take that talent and win it all, or win at a rate hog fans will be happy with?  We didn't know BB woudn't be able to recruit better...some thought he would.  Your post indicates that you accept that we're not going to get 1st tier talent, but you couldn't have known that.   

I got banned for a spell here for my displeasure of BB when he was hired.  But...as a fan, after a bit my chin got back up a little and I decided to give him a chance.  I kinda like the guy.  The players stay out of trouble, and they graduate...for the most part.  And...he's had some pretty good ones that are doing well in the NFL.  I got to the point that I wanted him to succeed, and that was even fortified when we all saw that huge buyout.  Might as well make the best of it...thanks UA and Jeff Long for that one.  That's another beef I have on here, is that people seem to think JL acted alone on that buyout.  He may have proposed what he wanted and what he thought it would take to sign BB, but NO ONE is going to convince me that he had the autonomy to agree to that buyout without some approvals from the highest PTB.  There are some others to blame for that blunder...not just Long.     

I don't think BB is going to top out at more than 8-9 wins a year...sadly.  But...you said yourself that 2nd and 3rd tier players can't compete with 1st tier players.  If that's the case, then what's the end game for the UA?  Can we lure a coach with a big enough name that kids will want to come here enough to push us up from around 25-30 nationally to top 10?  Are we as fans convinced that ANY coach can come in and do better than that with recruiting?  Doesn't that sort of indicate that we should be ending up seasons around 25-30th nationally?  We haven't been that far off from that...

Right now, the ONLY thing we can do as fans to make a statement is...don't go to the games.  Simple.  Flying banners, newspaper ads...none of that is going to impact anything...those are all emotional side notes.  Money, or the lack thereof, is what will do the talking.  The issue is, we're loyal and love the kids and all things Razorback.  So...the losing will have to continue until the interest wanes enough that people are indifferent, and then we'll see change. 

I bet you're like me too.  I tell myself I'm not going to plan another single activity around football, and until they prove they can do something worthy of my interest...I'm done.  Better things to do with my life.  But..then Saturday rolls around, and I'm there, in front of the TV or at the stadium, loving the Hogs even when we stink.  I...can't...help...it.         

I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

Pork Twain

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on September 14, 2017, 01:06:26 am
Curious.  Up there in your first paragraph, just before you tore into Jeff Long, you stated that BB was going to take 2nd and 3rd tier players and force them to beat up on 1st tier players.  Paraphrased. 

It's almost iron clad in today's CFB landscape that if you can't recruit consistently in the top 10, you aren't going to win a NC.  If you're conceding that the UA is always going to have 2nd and 3rd tier players, then what is your expectation level?  What coach can take that talent and win it all, or win at a rate hog fans will be happy with?  We didn't know BB woudn't be able to recruit better...some thought he would.  Your post indicates that you accept that we're not going to get 1st tier talent, but you couldn't have known that.   

I got banned for a spell here for my displeasure of BB when he was hired.  But...as a fan, after a bit my chin got back up a little and I decided to give him a chance.  I kinda like the guy.  The players stay out of trouble, and they graduate...for the most part.  And...he's had some pretty good ones that are doing well in the NFL.  I got to the point that I wanted him to succeed, and that was even fortified when we all saw that huge buyout.  Might as well make the best of it...thanks UA and Jeff Long for that one.  That's another beef I have on here, is that people seem to think JL acted alone on that buyout.  He may have proposed what he wanted and what he thought it would take to sign BB, but NO ONE is going to convince me that he had the autonomy to agree to that buyout without some approvals from the highest PTB.  There are some others to blame for that blunder...not just Long.     

I don't think BB is going to top out at more than 8-9 wins a year...sadly.  But...you said yourself that 2nd and 3rd tier players can't compete with 1st tier players.  If that's the case, then what's the end game for the UA?  Can we lure a coach with a big enough name that kids will want to come here enough to push us up from around 25-30 nationally to top 10?  Are we as fans convinced that ANY coach can come in and do better than that with recruiting?  Doesn't that sort of indicate that we should be ending up seasons around 25-30th nationally?  We haven't been that far off from that...

Right now, the ONLY thing we can do as fans to make a statement is...don't go to the games.  Simple.  Flying banners, newspaper ads...none of that is going to impact anything...those are all emotional side notes.  Money, or the lack thereof, is what will do the talking.  The issue is, we're loyal and love the kids and all things Razorback.  So...the losing will have to continue until the interest wanes enough that people are indifferent, and then we'll see change. 

I bet you're like me too.  I tell myself I'm not going to plan another single activity around football, and until they prove they can do something worthy of my interest...I'm done.  Better things to do with my life.  But..then Saturday rolls around, and I'm there, in front of the TV or at the stadium, loving the Hogs even when we stink.  I...can't...help...it.         

Recruiting will always be the Achilles heel at Arkansas.

DeltaBoy

I saw the light of day back in 1965 So I was still in the oven for the NC team.  I remember the Hogs beating USC in the early 1970's.
I saw Texas ruin a many of good seasons, along with some of the cockroaches.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Razor1997

Quote from: Pork Twain on September 14, 2017, 02:48:25 am
Recruiting will always be the Achilles heel at Arkansas.

I don't think anyone ever expected Bret to out-recruit LSU or Alabama. The idea that I had bought into was that by year 5, we'd have Bret's four-star fifth-year seniors lining up against Alabama's five-star third-year guys that leave early for the pros, and the additional experience and development would be the great equalizer.  It doesn't seem like that's happening.

jkstock04

I guess this depends on what your definition of a "chance" is. In my opinion...Nutt had a chance twice and Petrino had a chance once.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

GuvHog

The loss to Bama occurred early in the season so with Arkansas being ranked #3 nationally going into the LSU game, a win there  over #1 LSU would have carried a lot more weight in the polls than the loss to Bama. With that win there is no doubt that the Hogs would've been in a 3 way tie for the SEC West title and ranked #1 or #2 going into the SEC Championship game.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: Razor1997 on September 14, 2017, 09:54:07 am
I don't think anyone ever expected Bret to out-recruit LSU or Alabama. The idea that I had bought into was that by year 5, we'd have Bret's four-star fifth-year seniors lining up against Alabama's five-star third-year guys that leave early for the pros, and the additional experience and development would be the great equalizer.  It doesn't seem like that's happening.

THIS ^^^^   That is precisely what I had hoped would happen, and from that standpoint I see why stability was critical after the BP debacle.  It hasn't panned out, and I'm still a firm believer that the recipe you outlined is our best chance by far, and history has shown it to be the case.  The Stoerner and Mallet teams both had a high number of upper classmen on them.  The 2011 team did as well, but I don't recall it having as many as the other teams. 

I do not blame Long and the PTB for waiting this out to see if time might bring some stability, and work to re-establish our presence as a power to reckon with like we were for a few seasons under BP.  I think we're at the point that the results would be showing if that strategy was working, and I don't see it. 

HOWEVER, this isn't the first time the fans have jumped ship early, and we ended up having a really good season.  Remember 2006 when we got WRECKED by USC in the first game of the season, but then went on to have a pretty good season at 10-4.  We narrowly lost to FLA in the SECCG, and then laid an egg against Wisconsin (hmm...there's some irony) in the bowl game to cap what was almost a really magical season. 

Point being...things have turned around quickly before, so while we've got that buyout looming, maybe we should at least keep a foot on the ship until the thing's really taking on water.   ;)